Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

987S Recalls?

I've seen on other boards that some '05 987S owners are receiving recall notices to fix minor things, add an item to the tool kit, etc. Have any of you received notices from PCNA or from your dealer. I've gotten nothing. Mine was built in early June 2005. Thanks.

Re: 987S Recalls?

I have been called by my dealer to bring my '06 987S in for service. My Boxster S was built in August 2005.

No letters, but are advising me of (non-critical) applicable fixes whenever I go in.

Quote:
    longislander1 said:
    I've seen on other boards that some '05 987S owners are receiving recall notices to fix minor things, add an item to the tool kit, etc. Have any of you received notices from PCNA or from your dealer. I've gotten nothing. Mine was built in early June 2005. Thanks.

I don't believe anyone has received formal recall notices because these relate to non-critical non-safety related matters that would normally be dealt with during the next scheduled service. I only know about mine because my car is going in to rectify an airbag warning fault.

Just dropped my Box S off earlier at the dealership for a replacement CF cupholder that apparently didn't arrive! I thought it was a waste of a trip but they then told me they performed a recall fix on the car (hose replacement).

Weird that I didn't get any advance notice on it, but they did "fix" it.

Quote:
    longislander1 said:

I just got mine back from the oil pressure relief valve replacement.(Common problem. Rattle when cold at 2k rpm's.)
    While at the dealer they advised me of 2 TSB's that needed to be addressed. For those with PCM, there is a software update to deal with some frequent issues with the PCM system. I also got the radiator hose update. None of these is technically a "recall," hence no notification. Which items need to be done are based on the vehicles VIN. The repairs are done as the cars come in for other items according to my service advisor.

That could explain why I didn't find out. FYI that rattle I was told is normal

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    That could explain why I didn't find out. FYI that rattle I was told is normal

That rattle is not normal. It is caused by a pressure relief valve that can easily be fixed - a known problem in the 3.2L engine. My dealer has ordered the part for me.

Quote:
    longislander1 said:

Here is the printout from my OPC regarding recall work done. The first item was a defect, not a recall.

The last item is the piston in the oil pressure relief valve that many have reported here, a "buzzing" noise on overrun when the engine is cold and the oil viscosity is higher. Now fixed. No charge as this was all warranty work.

Thanks Tim.

Box booked in for the jobs to be done.

They say that they do not send out recall notices because the items are not safety related and just carry out the work when the car is next in for service or warranty work.

That sounds to me like looking after the KPI's and not the customer.

KPI's?

Quote:
    boothy said:
    Thanks Tim.

Box booked in for the jobs to be done.

They say that they do not send out recall notices because the items are not safety related and just carry out the work when the car is next in for service or warranty work.

That sounds to me like looking after the KPI's and not the customer.

Your welcome. How is your beautiful red Boxster? Must be getting late and brain fuzzy I can't suss "KPI" either?

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    KPI's?

Sorry, Key Performance Indicators.
    That by which they are measured, and judged, by their lords and masters, and the motoring world, as the number of recalls per manufacturer is published.

Too many TLA's in my last job.

(Three Letter Acronyms)

One quick question - the bolts on my front kuggage catch have red in marks on them - is this a sign that they've been done ??

Quote:
    dreamcar said:. How is your beautiful red Boxster?

Still beautiful, still red
    Not getting used enough though, only 5K miles in 12 months.
    Going to France in it in July, so should get come good top-down motoring for 2 weeks.

Quote:
    boothy said:
    Not getting used enough though, only 5K miles in 12 months.
    Going to France in it in July, so should get come good top-down motoring for 2 weeks.

Same here, sadly. I've done just over 8,000 miles now. Always a thrill when I go for a roof down blast, though. DEF We are going in September for two weeks. Really looking forward to it. Must try and get back to Askrigg next year for a week if we can.

Well i'm approaching 10k and looking for an oil change.

I'll be asking for the oil pressure relief valve to be done also - it doesn't bother me, but it isn't right so the can fix it.

I'll also be getting some new front air intake grilles (mine are perfect at present), and the engine bracket capped.

Car was registered Sept 05, i think the front hood catch must have been done before i bought the car at 3 motnhs old as the bolts have red marks on them

Well, had the car to the OPC for the 'recalls'. 573 and 574 on your list.
    I had asked if an oil/filter change was recommended and they were adamant that it was not.
    So, I asked them to check the car over whilst it was in and they did a 'Health Check'.
    All Free

Incidently OPC Leeds were excellent. Due to admin error by them, my car was not on the job list for the day but they took the car, gave us coffee and biscuits, a lift in a KN into Leeds and 2 hours later the car was ready. And they didn't try to sell me anything

Be good to see you and Mrs DC again if you get to Askrigg again.

Hi all,
    I've just bought my first Boxster, a 05 build S. I have this rattle at 2200rpm which appears to be the oil pressure relief valve that has been described. Not being a mechanical expert, is this something I should be having addressed straight away? It's only got 1000km on it so far.
    Cheers,
    Stephen.

Quote:
    Schuffo said:
    Hi all,
    I've just bought my first Boxster, a 05 build S. I have this rattle at 2200rpm which appears to be the oil pressure relief valve that has been described. Not being a mechanical expert, is this something I should be having addressed straight away? It's only got 1000km on it so far.
    Cheers,
    Stephen.

Welcome to Rennteam
    I noticed in on my car for a few months before I had it rectified. If you ever need to take your car in to your OPC to have anything else done, get it fixed at the same time. Remember to get it done before the warranty expires, though if like us in the UK you only get a miserly 2 years.

Quote:
    boothy said:
    Well, had the car to the OPC for the 'recalls'. 573 and 574 on your list.

I'm not affected by 574 - my exhast isn't droopy apparently

I'm only down for 573 and 608

I think 556 was done when i bought the car approved used, and i've got the lever so either 566 was completed or i already had it in the toolkit.

I'm booked in for 12th July at Stratstones Wilmslow (no confidence in the idiots at Chester) - loan car booked if required. I asked about changing the oil whilst its on the ramps - they could only point out it wasn't due and that minor service was Pounds356 . I've asked for a firm price to drop the oil while the pressure relief valve is being replaced - i suspect i'll be chnaging the oil myself

Dropped car off this am - also now got 572 on the recall listing for the car that wasn't showing up 2 weeks ago wheni booked it in ??

Bought the oil filer, seal ring and drain plug washer from the parts depot, since they still couldn't give me a price to change the oil and filter whilst it was with them.

Anyone know of any more that have arisen in the last 12 months ??

I'm due to book mine in for its first service in a few weeks time. I'll be asking for the oil piston to be changed again as its started warbling recently, my exhaust pipe is definitely lower than others i've seen so that will be getting checked, and hopefully the brake fluid change will finally eleviate the soft/mushy brakes i've previously complained about (and which bleeding didn;t help)

They might want to fiddle with the windstop bits to stop rattling. In my instance this made it worse, but I don't think you can say 'No!'.

Let us know if your brakes are improved. I thought mine were less spongy afterwards, but that could just be me!

Already have the rubbery foam additions to the wind stop and yes it rattled more for the first few months, but seems OK now

Logged into the TSB section at Renntech last night tho - nothing much else on there - interesting to read the denials from Porsche about 'non leaking' coolant pumps (so how do you get coolant on the outside of the casing ??) and the CD 'STOP' message is only because of a faulty CD !!

Yep, Porsche continues to blame my CDs for the problems with their stereos. The dealership swapped mine out three times in attempts to fix the problem.

If the problem really bugs you, I highly recommend contacting Porsche Customer Commitment for resolution.

What's PCC? Do we get that in the UK?

I think the UK equivalent is just Customer Assistance at Readign HQ - they will act as an impartial medium between the customer and the OPC to ensure speedy and afir resolution.

In fairness they kept the pressure on the OPC when i rejected my new car

Car back from service this afternoon - no additional TSBs on the list for me (sept 05, MY06).

Oil pressure relief valve replaced again - there seems to be a few woofly/chuffing sounds on acceleration from standstill which i don;t remember before but then i've spent 5 days in their 3.4 S loan car o perhaps i got used to the acoustics of that car over my own ?.

Why 5 days ? - because i mentioned an intermittent excessive tappet noise when the car sits for extended periods (5/6 days between use). The good thing is they acknowledged there is some noise like tapets there and they want the car back in to investigate under warranty.

I suspect its a blocked oilway on the tappet / cam follower, as the same issue happened to a friends 986 2.7.

All told Pounds341 for the 20k service and brake fluid change (i supplied my own oil and got the 10% PCGB discount applied too )

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690554 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409807 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256048 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774754 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM