Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

MP3's

Can someone tell me exactly what I have to do to get music on my CD's and in iTunes onto a CD in MP3 format so that I can fit large numbers of songs onto one CD, yet still have my '06 Bose High End Stereo read and play them?

PS. "High End" - now there's an over statement.

Re: MP3's

This is how I do it, and I am sure there are easier ways:

(1) I rip my audio CDs into my hard drive (I use Real Player) as MP3s.
    (2) I burn my iTunes tracks onto a CD, then rip them back into my hard drive as MP3s.
    (3) Then I make a CD with up to 120 MP3s. Try to use albums as folders on the CD--the PCM of the Porsche will recognize the folders.

Silver Bullet;
    The on thing you have to make sure, is that when you burn the mp3's to the cd, you don't choose the option "audio CD", but the "data cd". When you chose audio cd, the prgram is going to convert your mp3's to audio files which any nrmap cdplayer can read, which makes the compression undone.
    -Joost-

Best way to do this is importing your CD's using the MP3 encoder at 192 kbps minimum.
    You can set this in the iTunes settings (select "Preferences>Advanced>Importing").

In the settings "Preferences>Advanced>Burning" you can select "MP3 CD",
    which will keep your songs as MP3's that your PCM will recognize.

Now create a new playlist, select songs until you have 700MB or 640MB and burn the CD.

Be sure to be connected to the internet when you import your songs from the CD,
    iTunes will download all song and title info from the internet, which your PCM will recognize and display.

(these are instructions for the Macintosh version of iTunes 6, but I guess the PC version will be the same).

Another related question- if you have the 6 disc changer, will they read all 6 discs as MP3's? I assume they would but some aftermarket changers don't. Thanks

Quote:
    kkeating said:
    Another related question- if you have the 6 disc changer, will they read all 6 discs as MP3's? I assume they would but some aftermarket changers don't. Thanks

they should do - given that a changer does not have 6 CD players but one CD player which is shared by the 6 discs.

6 CD changer does not read MP3 - only in dash CD is MP3 capable.

I can confirm that the 6 cd changer does not read MP3. I think in about 6 years, Porsche engineers will have heard of the new inventions of mp3 and digital players and somehow will start engineer a connector or player for the 911 in 2015. By then, the Lexus and BMW will have their fifth generation of sound systems installed.

Ok, just venting.

Quote:
    kw sofadv said:
    I can confirm that the 6 cd changer does not read MP3. I think in about 6 years, Porsche engineers will have heard of the new inventions of mp3 and digital players and somehow will start engineer a connector or player for the 911 in 2015. By then, the Lexus and BMW will have their fifth generation of sound systems installed.

Ok, just venting.

Good one!!!!!

Quote:
    s4to911 said:
    This is how I do it, and I am sure there are easier ways:

(1) I rip my audio CDs into my hard drive (I use Real Player) as MP3s.
    (2) I burn my iTunes tracks onto a CD, then rip them back into my hard drive as MP3s.
    (3) Then I make a CD with up to 120 MP3s. Try to use albums as folders on the CD--the PCM of the Porsche will recognize the folders.

Good question - i've been struggling with the same issue. So from above, i take it that if you've imported into iTunes in the 'normal' way that there's not a one step solution to create mp3's straight out of iTunes? Is there any other solution than burning from iTunes to CD, ripping back and re-burning - there *must* be a 'widget' out there that can go straight from iTunes format direct to mp3???

Thanks, Ash

When I try to burn my CD MP3 from iTune the computer says: unknown fault. So I can't do it this way. ( Does any one know why? )

I have to use microsoft programme so it works.

I make a golder on my desk, pull the songs from the play list I created in iTune ( all MP3) into the folder. then open my DVD/CD . Then pull the folder from the desk into this section and click on Burn CD ( but not Audio CD... the other one)

Sorry for being so unclear.... everything is in french on my computer and I do not know the exact translations....

Gnil is right. You don't have to use iTunes to burn an MP3 CD. See at the end of the post on how to do it.

If you're starting from an audio CD, import it into your music library in iTunes. Make sure the format is 192 kb/s MP3 at least beforehand (see Preferences/Advanced/Import).
    Do not use AAC because your CD player will not play it.
    If you're not using iTunes, most music players handle importing from an audio CD. Just make sure you're using decent-quality MP3 or WMA.

While you're looking at the iTunes settings panel, look for the burning / CD writing tab in the Advanced section. Select "MP3 CD" instead of the default "Audio CD".
    Then proceed just as though you were burning an audio CD from iTunes.

Burning MP3 files to a CD without iTunes:

On Windows XP:
    Make a folder on the desktop. Copy the songs from the My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder. I suggest you copy all songs straight to the root of the folder, not in a subfolder like iTunes does (e.g. Song.mp3 instead of Artist/Album/Song.mp3)
    Right-click on the icon of the folder and Burn it.

If using CD-burning software like Nero, you can create a DATA CD, drag and drop the files, hit Burn.

On Mac OS X:
    Same thing. Create a burnable folder (or closest translation . My OS is not in English either ). Drag and drop from Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder.
    Click Burn

Alot of my songs were downloaded from iTunes. It will not let me burn those to an MP3 cd. Any workarounds...Thanks

I think there are programs available on download.com or so. If you google for "EXPORT MP3 iTunes" or so, I think you should find enough results.
    -Joost-

PS; I thought that apple and mac were THE solution for people that were so annoyed by the fact that microsoft wanted to control everything... Apple stood for freedom in computer land... and now they have the same nasty tricks? (like not letting you burn the MP3's you paid for on a CD)
    -Joost-

They don't write the rules. The RIAA does.
    I will let Nick explain why the DMCA is bad for you.

I strongly advise against installing illegal music cracking programs. First of all, they are almost all fakes. They're just trying to trick you into installing their trojans (even my pretty savvy little brother fell for it once ).
    Second, the only one that was reputable does not work with iTunes version newer than 5. If you already upgraded to iTunes 6 or higher, you'd have to start from scratch. Downgrade, create a new account and lose all the songs you've legally purchased.

For the time being, the only legal way to convert a protected AAC to MP3 is to export to a CDRW then rerip to MP3. Inconvenient, indeed. This makes an iPod adapter a must in every car.

By the way, Apple never stood for freedom in computer land. They're much worse control freaks than Microsoft. They just happen to make a much better product, which is why my Windows PCs are gathering dust at home.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    They don't write the rules. The RIAA does.
    I will let Nick explain why the DMCA is bad for you.

I strongly advise against installing illegal music cracking programs. First of all, they are almost all fakes. They're just trying to trick you into installing their trojans (even my pretty savvy little brother fell for it once ).
    Second, the only one that was reputable does not work with iTunes version newer than 5. If you already upgraded to iTunes 6 or higher, you'd have to start from scratch. Downgrade, create a new account and lose all the songs you've legally purchased.

For the time being, the only legal way to convert a protected AAC to MP3 is to export to a CDRW then rerip to MP3. Inconvenient, indeed. This makes an iPod adapter a must in every car.

By the way, Apple never stood for freedom in computer land. They're much worse control freaks than Microsoft. They just happen to make a much better product, which is why my Windows PCs are gathering dust at home.

I would rather burn a CD from iTunes then rip it back into mp3s just to stick it to that @$%@ Apple and their proprietary AAC nonsense!

Why give those control freaks more support?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Gnil is right. You don't have to use iTunes to burn an MP3 CD. See at the end of the post on how to do it.

If you're starting from an audio CD, import it into your music library in iTunes. Make sure the format is 192 kb/s MP3 at least beforehand (see Preferences/Advanced/Import).
    Do not use AAC because your CD player will not play it.
    If you're not using iTunes, most music players handle importing from an audio CD. Just make sure you're using decent-quality MP3 or WMA.

While you're looking at the iTunes settings panel, look for the burning / CD writing tab in the Advanced section. Select "MP3 CD" instead of the default "Audio CD".
    Then proceed just as though you were burning an audio CD from iTunes.

Burning MP3 files to a CD without iTunes:

On Windows XP:
    Make a folder on the desktop. Copy the songs from the My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder. I suggest you copy all songs straight to the root of the folder, not in a subfolder like iTunes does (e.g. Song.mp3 instead of Artist/Album/Song.mp3)
    Right-click on the icon of the folder and Burn it.

If using CD-burning software like Nero, you can create a DATA CD, drag and drop the files, hit Burn.

On Mac OS X:
    Same thing. Create a burnable folder (or closest translation . My OS is not in English either ). Drag and drop from Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder.
    Click Burn

I've had good luck using the 160 kb/s on the importing into MP3 format side using iTunes, which is a free download. I use all my own original CD's. I think that only one song gave a brief "hiss" before getting back to normal while playing, and I am not sure whether it is the 160 kb/s import format or a bad spot on the disc. I have gotten 156 songs on this disc and there was still a bit of room left. It gives me an estimated 8 and 3/4 hours of songs. Nice for a long day trip.

Jim

Quote:
    escobar said:
    Best way to do this is importing your CD's using the MP3 encoder at 192 kbps minimum.
    You can set this in the iTunes settings (select "Preferences>Advanced>Importing").

In the settings "Preferences>Advanced>Burning" you can select "MP3 CD",
    which will keep your songs as MP3's that your PCM will recognize.

Now create a new playlist, select songs until you have 700MB or 640MB and burn the CD.

Be sure to be connected to the internet when you import your songs from the CD,
    iTunes will download all song and title info from the internet, which your PCM will recognize and display.

(these are instructions for the Macintosh version of iTunes 6, but I guess the PC version will be the same).

If I have already imported a CD into iTunes in it's own proprietary format (that's called AAC?), how do I go about importing it again but as an MP3? Does that create problems? Will the songs appear twice in my iTunes library?

One more thing, on a slightly different note: when I start up iTunes, it seems to have 2 copies of every song I imported in the past. Anybody know why or how to fix this? (note: I haven't re-imported any albums or songs as MP3 files yet)

There are two kinds of AAC files.

'Protected' AAC (e.g. files from the iTunes Music Store) cannot be copied legally. This is forbidden by a proprietary digital restriction management framework known as Fairplay.

Regular AAC files can be copied and format-shifted at will, just like regular MP3. When you import an audio CD into iTunes, the songs are converted to the regular AAC format.
    By the way, the AAC format is an open standard (it's the official successor to the MP3 format). Only the copy restrictions are Apple-exclusive.

Protected AAC files can be easily spotted because they use the *.m4p extension. Regular AAC files use *.m4a.

You can convert your entire (regular) AAC library into MP3 in one fell swoop. Well, five, actually.
    1/ Make sure "your My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/" folder is shared with other users on the computer.
    2/ Create a second user account on your computer.
    3/ Switch to the new account and launch iTunes.
    4/ Change the iTunes importing settings to use MP3 instead of AAC (use a slightly higher bitrate than the original AAC. Note: you WILL lose some quality by converting, as MP3 compression is a lossy process).
    5/ Import the entire shared iTunes Music folder from the original account.

This way, everything is converted to MP3 for use on the car, and you still keep your higher-quality AAC files for use at home or on your iPod.

If you don't want to keep the original AAC files, skip the user creation part. Move the entire content of the "My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/" folder to another folder. Delete the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file from the "My Music/iTunes/" folder.
    Start iTunes, changes settings to import into MP3, and import the entire folder where your music was copied.
    Make sure protected AAC files have been copied back too. If not, do so manually. Delete the original files when you're done.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    One more thing, on a slightly different note: when I start up iTunes, it seems to have 2 copies of every song I imported in the past. Anybody know why or how to fix this? (note: I haven't re-imported any albums or songs as MP3 files yet)

Looks like your entire folder has been imported again. Might be some corruption of the My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml file.

There is a very easy fix. First of all, go to the Advanced settings tab and disable the "Copy imported music to the iTunes folder" option.
    Quit iTunes and delete the iTunes Music Library.xml file.
    Restart iTunes. Your music library should now be empty.
    Now import your entire iTunes Music folder. Voilà!
    Don't forget to turn back on the "Copy imported music to the iTunes folder" option before quitting the program.

Groom,

That's a very elegant solution - thanks very much!

What's the difference between burning an MP3 CD vs a data CD with MP3 files? These are 2 of the burning options in iTunes.

I think I really need an answer to this one, so I'll ask it again:

What's the difference between burning an mp3 CD vs a data CD with mp3 files? These are 2 of the burning options in iTunes.

i just burned 10 mp3 discs for my new 997S and all i did was to make a song list with itunes songs, set the preference "advanced" burning to mp3 then choose select all, right click convert to mp3 and in the song list. It will convert them to mp3. once that is complete i just burn them to a CD and voila! - no need for 6 cd changer and in the glove compartment you have 3 cd storage slots too

btw you can do folders but over time i found it annoying so i just rip alphabetically and in the track list mode in audio you can see all the songs and not worry about going thru all the folders but its all a matter of personal test....PSE sound deeper with every ride...now thats sweet music!!

Quote:
    Bull&Bear said:
    btw you can do folders but over time i found it annoying so i just rip alphabetically and in the track list mode in audio you can see all the songs and not worry about going thru all the folders but its all a matter of personal test....PSE sound deeper with every ride...now thats sweet music!!

How do you burn folders to the CD? I can add playlist to the folders but it will not let me burn it to CD. What am I missing?

Quote:
    GR997S said:
    Alot of my songs were downloaded from iTunes. It will not let me burn those to an MP3 cd. Any workarounds...Thanks

If you downloaded from iTunes, then they are copy protected songs. The easiest way around this is to burn an audio CD of the songs you want and then import them back to iTunes. Importing the song back allows them to be convert them into MP3 files.

bstew; if you burn an audio cd, you cant burn folders. If you burn a data cd, you can drag folders to the cd. A regular CD-player won't be able to play the files, because it only plays audio cd's. But a car cd player with mp3 playing capacity will recognize it, and play the mp3 files.
    -Joost-

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM