Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Excessive break and oil wear. Can someone explain?

I just found out that the RS3 I am renting/leasing will need to get ALL it´s brake pads AND discs replaced.
    It started with squeeky brakes when I first got the car 4 months ago, then the oil lamp blinked a couple of days a go: Oil level under lowest level.

The car has 6.500 km (appr 4.000 miles) on the clock, and I don´t wear the brakes excessively or drive like a muppet.
    I got it when it had 2.000 km on the clock.
    I´ve never experienced a car (let alone a high performance car) that needed discs and pads replaced that early, so I´m thinking someone must have driven it very hard before I got it. At least that´s the most logical explanation I can think of.

I ask because I feel pretty pissed off IF I have rented a car, that´s not just a demo, but might have been used for track days or similar in it´s "infancy". Something that AFAIK is not exactly the best way to break a car in.
    Put in another way; If I had been offered a "track day car with 2.000 km on the clock" from the beginning, I´d said "no thanks".

I´m simply trying to establish if there can be any other plausible explanation besides it being used for Audi Driving Experiences or similar. You normally can´t demo an RS3 without a salesperson in the passenger seat, so I´m thinking that´s not where it got punished.

Any ideas?

And FYI; Audi volunteered to pay for the replacement right off the bat without any questions, so they must recognize this as an issue that arose before I rented it.

Re: Excessive break and oil wear. Can someone explain?

New discs after 6'500km? Wow. Maybe this is the car they used for the Nordschleife record lap indecision

The oil does sound more plausible, but still Audi should have topped up when you took delivery. Already gone? Possible. Same for the brakes. Should have been checked and I would have expected a heads up that they soon need replacement.

Our S3 has got smaller brakes than you RS3 and now with 40'000km on the clock and 3-year service we kept the discs. This was originally a demo car and I suspect I drive more like a muppet than you indecision So I fail to understand how your discs are gone.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

It is not unusual for turbo engines to burn a litre of oil every 2000 km. The dealer will tell you it is within spec. I just keep a litre in the car at all times and top it off when the light comes on. It got to the point where they drained my oil, weighed it, then had me come back in 1000 km to weigh it again. Normal. Yeah, sure it is. yes

After that little mileage that is highly strange and very suspicious to me. Definitely fishy, so I would really pound your seller (it was dealer correct?) because that is simply unacceptable. Yes they are fixing for free, which is also a bit suspicious on the flip side.. no dealer gives up a couple of $1,000 without a fight at all like that. I would inquire about the history and question them on it hard. They must explain the history. Otherwise, my 0.02. Have it fixed, and find out the actual history... once fixed.. SELL IT ASAP!!! 

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Dr. Phil... you are probably getting too old for such a car . The middle peddle is the break , not the accelerator. Go see a real doctor ! indecision

If I do not consider your age and just look at the facts, I would also say, the oil issue is a possibility with a new engine . My Carrera S used a lot of oil at the beginning and it got better only after about 40K km .

As to the brakes , using it as a track car could be what happened , but usually , when they do so, they will change the brakes and pads before putting it back for sale . Unless your dealer is too dumm , or tight to have done it .

What is also a possibility is a problem with your braking system . I had that on one of my cars . The brakes did slightly brake ( ABS problem I think ) and it wore the disks and pads down quickly . It was only on the back wheels .

I would certainly ask for and insist for clarification and true explanations . If It was tracked I would ask for some sort of compensations .

As to the break in procedure , I would not worry too much . The people who own the most sports car on RT and even do races, ( like Futch ) always say they do not brake in the cars . They drive it as they stole it from the start . Modern engines have been '' run in '' from factory . Your car is also leased, so no big deal as there is a warranty and after the four years, you give it back .  Also , with double clutch , you know the car has not been going over red line . 

Only worry would be if the engine car not warmed up before .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Dr. Phil:

I just found out that the RS3 I am renting/leasing will need to get ALL it´s brake pads AND discs replaced.
    It started with squeeky brakes when I first got the car 4 months ago, then the oil lamp blinked a couple of days a go: Oil level under lowest level.

The car has 6.500 km (appr 4.000 miles) on the clock, and I don´t wear the brakes excessively or drive like a muppet.
    I´ve never experienced a car (let alone a high performance car) that needed discs and pads replaced that early, so I´m thinking someone must have driven it very hard before I got it. At least that´s the most logical explanation I can think of.

I ask because I feel pretty pissed off IF I have rented a car, that´s not just a demo, but might have been used for track days or similar in it´s "infancy". Something that AFAIK is not exactly the best way to break a car in.
    Put in another way; If I had been offered a "track day car with 2.000 km on the clock" from the beginning, I´d said "no thanks".

I´m simply trying to establish if there can be any other plausible explanation besides it being used for Audi Driving Experiences or similar. You normally can´t demo an RS3 without a salesperson in the passenger seat, so I´m thinking that´s not where it got punished.

Any ideas?

And FYI; Audi volunteered to pay for the replacement right off the bat without any questions, so they must recognize this as an issue that arose before I rented it.

One important question: do you have Audi warranty insurance? I am asking because of the oil consumption. My wife had an Audi that also had very high oil consumption - the engine totaled after about 20.000km... My point is: high oil consumption with Audi turbo engines might be a bad thing. Sorry to share this rather unfortunate experience.

maybe y data logger can reveal when and how the car was revved to give some sort of indication ?

but I think you have the right to demand a clear explanation. if the brake system has some kind of fault resulting in the wear, they should be up front and tell you so.

oil consumption on a new engine is nothing to worry about unless there is blue smoke or a leak somewhere

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I would simply insist on a extended warranty - or Money back. a car that has been tracked is always worth less...

MKSGR:
    ...high oil consumption with Audi turbo engines might be a bad thing. 

Ah yes, I remember this issue. It affected the 4- and 6-cylinder turbo engines in a number of models. Major c'k up affecting more than 100'000 vehicles. Audi had to settle a lawsuit.

--

Dr. Phil:

You don't check the oil level on a regular basis? Smiley

Demo car = Excessive driving. Maybe 24h Experience car, maybe abused by customers test driving it, everything is possible.

My R8, I got it as a demo car as well, has been driven on the track (normal Audi driver ed event, no competition) after it reached 1000 km. Driver was the general manager of all VW/Audi/Porsche dealerships in Bavaria, I know him personally (also from his Porsche days Smiley). He gave me a complete documentation of the car, incl. the driver log (so I was able to see who drove the car at what mileage and a print-out of the ECU to check on over-revs and stuff like that). Officially, I took the car over at 5000 km in August but unofficially, I got the car at 2000 km and in May. Smiley Smiley Car is an April 2016 build, which is important because Audi had a few changes/improvements and an important tech fix (a pump, which was also available as a recall) after March 2016 production.

The dealership was fair: I got a completely new brake system (calipers, discs, pads, etc.) when I took over the car officially in August. Also got a free oil and oil filter exchange. The general manager insisted on that (he knows me well Smiley), which was still quite impressive. Tried to get a new set of summer tires as well but they gave me a free set of winter wheels, so I couldn't really ask for new tires anymore after that.

Now I have to get new summer tires, they lasted only around 11500 km (the last 2000 km, I was driving on winter tires).

Any ideas?

The problem with demo cars is that many people car drive them and they are often abused. I do not know who drove your RS3 before. At my Audi dealer, R8 test drives are limited to specific persons, potential customers. They do not give the car to anyone who wants a test-drive. Still, this doesn't protect the customers from doing stupid things. My dealer had another R8 demo in white which was totaled by a customer who test-drove it. Since that time, test-drives in the R8 need to be approved by the general manager without exceptions. The guy who totaled the R8 was a previous R8 customer but he bought a used first generation car and he was pretty young (35 I think).

RS3 test-drives are also only permitted to certain potential customers. They do not let any 18 year old drive the car, there are certain limitations for this kind of car. I assume it isn't much different in Denmark.

The good thing is: You can abuse the brake but not much else since the car has a DCT. Unless of course the test-driver wants to damage the car, then there is nothing you can do.

If you are happy with your car, keep it and don't think about it. My R8 has the 5 year warranty, so I don't worry at all.

Just try to squeeze something out of the dealer from this...like a free first service, whatever. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

JoeRockhead:

It is not unusual for turbo engines to burn a litre of oil every 2000 km. The dealer will tell you it is within spec. I just keep a litre in the car at all times and top it off when the light comes on. It got to the point where they drained my oil, weighed it, then had me come back in 1000 km to weigh it again. Normal. Yeah, sure it is. yes

I took over my R8 at 2000 km. Oil level was full. At 5000 km, when I got my first oil exchange, the oil level was almost at the lower limit and I had added half a liter of oil before at 3000 or 4000 km before. 

After the oil exchange at 5000 km, I have now 13500 km on the car, I added maybe another half a liter of oil and the current level is at 3/4 or so. So oil consumption went down substantially after the oil change.

My former 996 Turbo "ate" around 1 liter of oil every 1500 km and even my 997.1 Turbo (Mezger engine, RUF 550 tuning) needed a liter of oil every 1500-2000 km or so. My 991.1 GTS? One liter of oil after around 10000 km or so.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Concerning the brakes, this is a known issue.

See here

Excessive oil consumption is a known and renowned issue for the 2.0 TFSI Petrol and Diesel engines from the VAG group, especially in the cars sold between 2008 and 2012. It shows in Audi's, Skodas, Seats and VWs. In the US, a class action lawsuit was filed and won. In the Netherlands, this is not the case, and cases are judged on an individual basis. 

The issue can be traced back to cost-cutting measures of the aluminium block and a faulty "scraping springs" design. (Don't know the correct word, it is the springs around the piston that scrape the oil from the cylinder walls); they are too low and the holes in them are too small, so soot in the oil blocks the holes, leading to excessive wear on the cylinder walls and excessive oil consumption (sometimes up to a 1 liter/200 km!!!) The issue almost invariable comes to light before the car hits 100.000 km.

Not sure whether this is still an issue with the more modern engines. Let me know if you want to know more about it.

-Joost-

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

The brakes on the RS3 are a known weak point, they are overheating very quick.
    Audi forums are full of complains about the brakes.
    This is also valid for the old TT RS and maybe for the new also.

--

daily: BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

Thanks a lot, guys for your input kiss
    If I wasn´t clear in the first post: The car is a RENTAL (rented via "Audi Select"), so I don´t have a potential loss when selling to worry about.
    Also: It´s a 5 cylinder, 2.5 liter engine - not the 2.0l TFSI. Not sure if that matters, but just to clear that up.

Perhaps it´s simply a matter of a general problem with the RS3 brake system.
    And the explanation of the oil issue also sounds reasonable.
    If so, there´s a chance the car wasn´t driven like crazy before I got it.
    I´ve contacted Audi and am awaiting their response.

My main (potential) issue is the fact that I might have been given a car that´s been beaten thoroughly before I got it.
    Had I known that, I probably would have said "no thanks" to renting it, and I certainly wouldn´t have paid full price for it.

As far as I recall, I never had these issues with my Boxster - but then again, it was a "werkswagen" that was totally serviced and had the whole brake system replaced before getting sold, so maybe it also had oil issues in its infancy.
    Who knows.
    I´ll see when I get more info :)

The US version of the RS3 is coming in a few months (sedan only, no sportback) and it supposedly has 8-piston brakes in front.  Does the car in question here have those too?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Dr. Phil:

Thanks a lot, guys for your input kiss
    If I wasn´t clear in the first post: The car is a RENTAL (rented via "Audi Select"), so I don´t have a potential loss when selling to worry about.
    Also: It´s a 5 cylinder, 2.5 liter engine - not the 2.0l TFSI. Not sure if that matters, but just to clear that up.

It is a lease, not exactly a rental. Not that it makes any real difference. Smiley

Perhaps it´s simply a matter of a general problem with the RS3 brake system.
    And the explanation of the oil issue also sounds reasonable.
    If so, there´s a chance the car wasn´t driven like crazy before I got it.
    I´ve contacted Audi and am awaiting their response.

I rather think the demo was a little bit abused. Told you that my R8 got a completely new brake system for free and there was no recall, anything. The rear calipers had changed the color from grey to gold and this is a pretty good sign for overheating on the track. First, they proposed to exchange the calipers only but then, they did the right thing after the general manager got involved.

My main (potential) issue is the fact that I might have been given a car that´s been beaten thoroughly before I got it.
    Had I known that, I probably would have said "no thanks" to renting it, and I certainly wouldn´t have paid full price for it.

First you say "rented" it and now you paid full price? Smiley It doesn't really matter if the car is OK, especially since you are not going to keep it, right?!

As far as I recall, I never had these issues with my Boxster - but then again, it was a "werkswagen" that was totally serviced and had the whole brake system replaced before getting sold, so maybe it also had oil issues in its infancy.
    Who knows.
    I´ll see when I get more info :)

Good luck.

--

Grant:

The US version of the RS3 is coming in a few months (sedan only, no sportback) and it supposedly has 8-piston brakes in front.  Does the car in question here have those too?

I am actually thinking about getting the RS3 sedan to replace my Mini JCW. I love how it looks (not a fan of sedans but this little thing looks like a gem) and the engine is amazing. ABT easily pushes power to 450 hp and more (510 hp are in the works or already available, don't know) with factory warranty, so an amazing little racer for little money.

--

BjoernB:

I would simply insist on a extended warranty - or Money back. a car that has been tracked is always worth less...

I would never ever get a demo without extended warranty, at least for the whole lease period. Smiley

--

OK, turns out it has been used as a trackday car. The salesman made no excuses about it having been "punished" the first 1,500 km of its life. 
    They then "forgot" to change the brakes, and apparently didn´t see fit to tell me about its past before renting it to me at full price. Brilliant.

@RC: Yes, the engine is an absolute gem. Probably among the top-10 exhaust sounds out there, and it manages to combine civilized driving experience with beastly power. I can´t see why you would not love having one as your DD or backup.

Since they didn't disclose it I would ask for a rebate fo some sort.

SciFrog:

Smiley

--

SciFrog:

Oh, yes. You can count on that Smiley

Let us know how that works out. Since you lease the car, and it hence belongs to Audi and not you, I wonder what discount or rebate one can ask for. As I understand Audi already offered to pay for the replacement. That the car has been used on a track I find irrelevant for a lease.

If you on the other hand had bought this car, then it would look very different... 

--

If the car is covered by warranty during the whole period of the lease then I wouldn't worry about it too much, except that some wear items are not covered by warranty like, not only the brakes, which they already replaced, but the clutch may have been overworked, though being an auto is less likely. But would discuss with them this issue that because it was tracked and as a demo which are treated worse, the car may have excessive wear on some items that you should not be responsible for if they show up during your lease period like the brakes did.

That said, the fact that you are covered by the warranty and it's a lease does not make up for the fact that they did not tell you that the car had been tracked as a demo, did you ask them about what use the car had had before you got it? Did you intend to buy the car after the lease was over?

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

bluelines:

Let us know how that works out. Since you lease the car, and it hence belongs to Audi and not you, I wonder what discount or rebate one can ask for. As I understand Audi already offered to pay for the replacement. That the car has been used on a track I find irrelevant for a lease.

If you on the other hand had bought this car, then it would look very different... 

Extended warranty (if he doesn't already have one)...free next big service...there are various possibilities.

--

Carlos from Spain:

If the car is covered by warranty during the whole period of the lease then I wouldn't worry about it too much, except that some wear items are not covered by warranty like, not only the brakes, which they already replaced, but the clutch may have been overworked, though being an auto is less likely. But would discuss with them this issue that because it was tracked and as a demo which are treated worse, the car may have excessive wear on some items that you should not be responsible for if they show up during your lease period like the brakes did.

That said, the fact that you are covered by the warranty and it's a lease does not make up for the fact that they did not tell you that the car had been tracked as a demo, did you ask them about what use the car had had before you got it? Did you intend to buy the car after the lease was over?

--

Carlos, IMO it´s not about warranty - that issue is resolved since they knew from day one, that the car was a trackday car. And unless I drive like an idiot and/or wreck it, all service is on Audi. That´s part of the deal.
    The issue is them not disclosing the fact that it´s a trackday car, and the fact that brakes were NOT replaced before I got the car.
    I know - from speaking to the dealer - that it was a mistake on their part that the brakes were not replaced before I got it.

Imagine if we´d had this dialogue BEFORE the lease:
    "So, we have this RS3: It´s been used for trackday and the brakes are worn and won´t be replaced the first 4 months of your 6 months lease. On top of that, there´s no navi the first 4 months. It will cost you the same as a demo car."
    I think most people would have passed on that deal. I know I would.
    On top of that, I didn´t have the choice since they opted not to tell me up front.

As I see this, the basis of this deal is off, which is why I think a compensation is in order.

If the car was a demo used for track events, that is something they should have disclosed, I see your point, and they "sold it " to you as a regular demo used for customer test drives and such which is not the same and what you thought you were getting. Let us know how it works out.

--

Carlos from Spain:

If the car was a demo used for track events, that is something they should have disclosed, I see your point, and they "sold it " to you as a regular demo used for customer test drives and such which is not the same and what you thought you were getting. Let us know how it works out.

Carlos, my R8 was in a similar situation. The general manager of the dealership chain (Audi, VW, Porsche, Lamborghini), I know him personally pretty well (he is a very good and non abusive track driver) from his Porsche days, drove my car the first 1500 km and drove to the track after 1000 km. There is a documentation about this (driver's log with driver, date, km, location, etc.) but they kind of "forgot" to tell me when I got the car.

When I found out (the rear brake calipers had a gold color instead of the usual grey, which clearly indicated hard braking on a track), they apologized and exchanged the whole brake system of the car (at my direct request to the general manager though, they had already exchanged brake pads and other minor parts at 1500 km, after the track driving). They also threw in free winter wheels and a free oil + filter change, so no complaints here but I guess they were extra nice because I knew the general manger (which I only found out after I found out about the track driving). The car has a five year factory warranty, my lease lasts "only" four years, so I'm good. Car is in pristine technical condition and has the latest software (as of August 2016) as well, no complaints here. Also, I know the boss and have his private cell... Smiley

I would be worried about something else: My R8 had an April 2016 manufacturing date (took the car in May 2016) but I didn't know that before. Lucky me: Most of the demo cars they had at that time were 2015 builds. SmileySince they all were registered in 2016, none of the customers actually knew that. Bummer. Also, some were 24 h Experience cars where different customers and potential buyers were driving these cars on the track. Not really recommended, even if these cars went to Audi Sport afterwards for a complete check-up, incl. new brake pads, sometimes even new tires, etc. etc. etc.. I would have been pretty pissed to get a car which has been manufactured almost a year ago. Smiley

--

Dr. Phil:

Carlos, IMO it´s not about warranty - that issue is resolved since they knew from day one, that the car was a trackday car. And unless I drive like an idiot and/or wreck it, all service is on Audi. That´s part of the deal.
    The issue is them not disclosing the fact that it´s a trackday car, and the fact that brakes were NOT replaced before I got the car.
    I know - from speaking to the dealer - that it was a mistake on their part that the brakes were not replaced before I got it.

Imagine if we´d had this dialogue BEFORE the lease:
    "So, we have this RS3: It´s been used for trackday and the brakes are worn and won´t be replaced the first 4 months of your 6 months lease. On top of that, there´s no navi the first 4 months. It will cost you the same as a demo car."
    I think most people would have passed on that deal. I know I would.
    On top of that, I didn´t have the choice since they opted not to tell me up front.

As I see this, the basis of this deal is off, which is why I think a compensation is in order.

Also, even if all is on the dealer, they now got rid of a car that would have been more difficult to sell/lease out if it had been in the open. So, it still was benificial for them to "conveniently forget" to tell you the history of this car and "convenientyl forget" to properly replace wear items. 

Maybe it was really unintentionally, maybe it was. Fact of the matter is that they have the disadvantage of the doubt (opposite of benefit of the doubt) and all trust between you and the dealer is gone, UNLESS they are VERY forthcoming to compensate you for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I understand your anger and can imagine you wil never buy/lease any car from them again ever.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM