Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 TOP SPEED

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I was doing about 162 when I came over a rise and the car started to float and then it ran up an enbankment, turned about 90 degrees to the right, now perpendicular to my direction of travel, then struck a light pole which sheared the engine compartment off from the cockpit. Wait,--that's ANOTHER STORY. Sorry.

So, what happened to that Dietrich guy?

The most I did was about 270 km/h in the 996. It can be actually scary to be that fast on a dual-lane highway (a much slower car might move into your lane any second without seeing you), so I usually stick to slightly above the speed limit. Porsche drivers are automatically considered guilty by cops anyway.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I was doing about 162 when I came over a rise and the car started to float and then it ran up an enbankment, turned about 90 degrees to the right, now perpendicular to my direction of travel, then struck a light pole which sheared the engine compartment off from the cockpit. Wait,--that's ANOTHER STORY. Sorry.

So, what happened to that Dietrich guy?

The most I did was about 270 km/h in the 996. It can be actually scary to be that fast on a dual-lane highway (a much slower car might move into your lane any second without seeing you), so I usually stick to slightly above the speed limit. Porsche drivers are automatically considered guilty by cops anyway.

Dietrich was found to be a figment of that guy's imagination. The courts have him now. $3M bond and the word now is that he could serve as much as 14 years for all the things he pulled over here.

Dan

I was lucky enough to find the oppurtunity to open the potential of the 997S on a uk motorway I saw 194mph on the display this was probably one of the most exhilarating moments I have ever had behind the wheel of any car! I worked it out and think the true speed was probably about 175mph and the car was still pulling but the truth is I bottled out! The top speed of 181mph can easily be reached within safe boundaries.

I changed my E60 M5 for the Porsche and thought I might regret it but so far after 7 months there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, I cannot wish for a better drive.

Before anybody shoots me down in flames It was done at 7am on a Sunday morning on a very straight part of the motorway with good weather conditions I am still grinning.

Damo.

Jimy, it was on the road upto that resort bab al shams.
    But that road now has a radar, anyhow just go out to any of them.
    Whats the worst that can happen.... well we all know the anwer to that one, but otherwise its just a ticket man

When I got the camera out ..186 mph, earlier 188 mph ! Then I ran out of road.
    Std 997s with PSE unplugged !!

chopper - where did you manage to pull that off in the UK? - very impressive top speed. I bet you were bricking it all the way in case a rozzer saw you!

Yes I am mad ...but not that MAD ! I live in Sweden (Gothenburg)half the time.I was bringing the car back to the Uk. With no respect of the law in Sweden(as they cant touch my uk licence) I first saw 303 KMH =188 Mph .Next thing I know I was in Germany with my camera out to record the moment HA HA.. but only got up to 186 MPH..shame.I think the car is geared at 24.93 mph per 1000rpm in 6th gear ..so 182 Mph real =7300 rpm.
    What is more accurate speedo or rev counter ??
    I will post a link to a little video I made.........
    Shall I... Ruf supercharge it or wait for a GT3 ??

Down load my high speed stunt here
    http://homepage.mac.com/paulnewmark/FileSharing10.html
    It was steady like a rock by the way !

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    When I got the camera out ..186 mph, earlier 188 mph ! Then I ran out of road.
    Std 997s with PSE unplugged !!

You have gutts dude The speed does not scare me, the cops and the thought of going to jail and losing my car does

Quote:
    edz61 said:

You have gutts dude The speed does not scare me, the cops and the thought of going to jail and losing my car does

Agree 2000%!

Second to that would be a blown tire. Or..., maybe that would be worse than landing in jail... . Yeah..., a blown tire would be worse because you'd wind up in the hospital THEN in jail. AWGGH! You 150mph+ guys are nuts!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

Agree 2000%!

Second to that would be a blown tire. Or..., maybe that would be worse than landing in jail... . Yeah..., a blown tire would be worse because you'd wind up in the hospital THEN in jail. AWGGH! You 150mph+ guys are nuts!

Well chances are that one will be transported directly to the morgue and no hospitl fees will be incurred

It sounds like us Europeans are more familiar with high speed.
    Even more so in Germany where people in Mercs are often cruising on the Autobahn at about 140mph (under the silly limiter )
    They also have great lane dicipline and move over asap.
    A blow out at 100 would have the same result !
    You can not think about life like that ! Yes it is safer to stay in bed all day...
    MOVE OVER... THERE IS A PORKER COMMING !! and Sod BIG BROTHER !!

Quote:
    Chopper said:
    It sounds like us Europeans are more familiar with high speed.
    Even more so in Germany where people in Mercs are often cruising on the Autobahn at about 140mph (under the silly limiter )
    They also have great lane dicipline and move over asap.
    A blow out at 100 would have the same result !
    You can not think about life like that ! Yes it is safer to stay in bed all day...
    MOVE OVER... THERE IS A PORKER COMMING !! and Sod BIG BROTHER !!

Chopper I have lived in Europe for a short while and never got caught by cops but in the U.S. I have and man they take you to the cleaners.

I love high speed but will not take a chance doing over 120 unless I know the road inside out, specially if it's dark. Once I am familiar with the road and there is no one aroudn I go for it. You are correct, a blow out at 100 m.p.h can kill you just as fast. As dumb as this may sound when one's time is up they are gone and nothing will save them

Quote:
    MMD said:
    AWGGH! You 150mph+ guys are nuts!

On weekends, me and my wife usually drive to various fun parks with our two kids. Our family car, the Cayenne Turbo powerkit, is usually "loaded" with me, my wife, our two kids in the rear and two strollers, sometimes a little bike for the girl too. The daughter usually watches a DVD movie (she loves those Barbie movies) in the back.
    Me and my wife listen to music, not that loud because our daughter would be disturbed when watching the movies with the headphones.
    We usually drive on the Autobahn most of the time, our "normal" speed is somewhere between 220 and 286 (speedo reading) all the time with a few interruptions every few seconds due to traffic. But I see 286 kph (179 mph) on the speedo pretty often, 260 kph (163 mph) is actually our normal commuting speed. Crazy? I find driving on the I-95 around Miami area during rush hour much crazier than that, where I witnessed three accidents how they happened in front or next to me with my own eyes. And during a stay of 10 days. The Cayenne Turbo Powerkit feels rock solid at top speed, absolutely incredible setup. The brakes are out of this world, believe it or not but since the car weights a lot, they can't really perform like the 911 brakes, so I always keep a little bit distance as some sort of "error margin" due to weight. Tires? The tires are heavy duty tires approved up to 300 kph. If you treated them well and didn't hit any boardwalks, etc., they won't let you down. Sudden pressure loss is very uncommon, it happens only if the tire has been damaged before in a way or another. I always check my tires before ANY driving outside the city, I'm looking for visible signs of "impact", cuts, etc. And I always check my tire pressure, not to mention the fact that I'm always driving with the maxmimum recommended pressure plus 0.1 bar to be on the safe side during high speed driving. The TPM is also always on, just in case if there is pressure loss. This is the technical part. The "human" part, is a different story. When driving that fast, I always have to watch out for the other drivers out there on the street too. I'm used to that, no problem. And if traffic is too dense, I slow down and keep it in an acceptable speed range to avoid any dangerous situations. So far, I haven't been ONCE in a delicate situation with our family car and the family inside it. I never drive at the limit and I never let myself "go" when having the kids inside the car, it is some sort of psychological thing. But this doesn't mean that I shouldn't drive fast, I always adapt to the traffic and the situation at hand.

Little reminder: of course this doesn't mean that everbody can do the same. Each and every driver should know his capabilities. And of course there is experience. A combination of talent, experience and brains makes a good driver. For some people, 125 mph are fast. For others, this is just a normal speed, nothing spectacular. Humans are different, not each person is the same as the other one. Same with drivers and capabilities. This doesn't have anything to do with being a Macho or being a real man, it has to do with what one can do without having the feeling that you put your life in danger. If you feel bad about a certain speed, slow down, you're too fast. I know it sounds simple but it isn't.

Bottom line: Speed isn't the problem, the problem at hand is always the driver AND sometimes even the technical status of the car. If you love to hit boardwalks or potholes with your highspeed tires, you shouldn't be surprised if this results in a blown tire one day. Did I mention BRAINS? Sorry for the long post.

RC: I agree 100%. If the car is safe and so is the road and there is no danger to you and your family and others why not. After all we buy fast cars for many reasons and one of them is the speed

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I agree with 69Bossnine, Top speed is just a temporary high. Yes we all get tempted to put the pedal to the metal but it's just a fraction of what you enjoy about your car for. Do you want your wife or girlfriend just for sex only?

Your sex analogy reminds me of my feelings when I have to slow down the car from topspeed because a slower car shows up in front of me: it's like a coitus interruptus

I agree with 69bossnine that topspeed driving is not really a sporty exercise compared to carving through a string of challenging twisties (reminds me of F1-drivers stating that they appreciate a long straight to relax from the stress in the corners).

However public roads (even the Autobahn) are no racetracks and you have to carefully observe all sorts of slow vehicles (especially trucks).

Having said that I agree with RC's comments regarding high speed cruising on the Autobahn. If you want to feel comfortable at high speeds on public roads (and I enjoy it each day during my commute ) you need some training in order to accustom your eyes/brain to the sensory overload (so the more often you do it the better you get - maybe another sex analogy ). Most important is to anticipate what MIGHT happen 500-1000 m in front of you (sort of sixth sense which you develop over time) - so I never enter an Autobahn curve at crazy speed if I can't see what's going on behind the apex.

Though I never would go that fast in countries with a general speed limit (maybe on a remote desert road) - not because of the cops, but because the drivers of slower cars just are not accustomed to observe whether another car might approach from behind at topspeed

BTW yesterday I took my 987 S for a first high speed test with the top down (155 mph - then I went out of road) - I am more than impressed that the cabin does not transform into a stormy place at that speed and even wind noises are moderate IMO compared to other cabs)

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    RC: I agree 100%. If the car is safe and so is the road and there is no danger to you and your family and others why not. After all we buy fast cars for many reasons and one of them is the speed

I agree 100% if you're Autobahn-raised. It's engineered (and maintained and monitored) for HSpeed performance driving and the car guys in Germany are probably used to it. Indeed the Carrera is basically designed for the road there.

Anywhere else, there's just too many unknowns. Going 90 mph is something like 1/4 (?) the kinetic energy (and accident severity-potential) of going 175mph. God bless you 150+mph guys!

Totally agree RC.

Lane discipline and familiarity with high speeds makes it relatively safe to run at speeds in Germany which, in many other countries, would be unsafe-UK included-because others are asleep or unaware of speed.

The only exception is when one of our favourite east European 40 tonne trucks decides to indicate left for a laugh as you approach.

Mind you that's why Porsche's Italian brakes are so good

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777463 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441791 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262810 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261018 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85279 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5593 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880694 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816085 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM