Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: If the Boxster S gets the Cayman engine...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Euh? The Cayman IS a Boxster Coupe with a stiffer suspension and more HP... Sorry. How many parts do they share? 95%+

The fact that Porsche markets it as a different cars is just a genius marketing ploy to charge $5K more than the Boxster S when it should be between $5K and the same price.

Everybody knows that - except some Caymanites that like to delude themselves that their icon is Porsche's top model, somewhere above the Carrera GT.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:
    The Cayman is not just a Boxster Coupe, but a seperate model in the Porsche line-up. Price is based on performance and appeal, aswell as marketing placement (just like the 997).

Euh? The Cayman IS a Boxster Coupe with a stiffer suspension and more HP... Sorry. How many parts do they share? 95%+

The fact that Porsche markets it as a different cars is just a genius marketing ploy to charge $5K more than the Boxster S when it should be between $5K and the same price.

But this has no relevance! At the end of the day it is a more performance capable car, no matter how close the relation! I seriously doubt that there is a Euro 100k cost difference to produce a Garrado than a Cayman; yet the sell price is that different!! Why should cost of production have ANY relation to sale cost??? It never has in the past to Porsche, so why complain now???

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    I seriously doubt that there is a Euro 100k cost difference to produce a Garrado than a Cayman;

What's a Garrado?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:
    I seriously doubt that there is a Euro 100k cost difference to produce a Garrado than a Cayman;

What's a Garrado?

A Gallardo made in China.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:

What's a Garrado?

A Gallardo made in China.

If I believed that I'd believe that the Cayman wasn't a Boxster coupe

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:
    You're not supposed to agree, you're supposed to argue with me, that's how these threads carry on - even if you do agree!

Sorry, I'll try harder next time. I am clearly out of practice.

No you're not!
    (Is this a five-minute arguement, or the full half hour?)

Oh, OK. Now I recognize it. Monty Python.

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:
    The Cayman is not just a Boxster Coupe, but a seperate model in the Porsche line-up. Price is based on performance and appeal, aswell as marketing placement (just like the 997).

But this has no relevance! At the end of the day it is a more performance capable car, no matter how close the relation! I seriously doubt that there is a Euro 100k cost difference to produce a Garrado than a Cayman; yet the sell price is that different!! Why should cost of production have ANY relation to sale cost??? It never has in the past to Porsche, so why complain now???

So then one can assume that the cars in the UK (RHD) perform better than ROW (RHD)? The price difference there is all about development costs that need to be spread over a smaller population. Sure the actual cost of the materials and labor may not be any higher, but there are fixed costs to take into account.

According to Porsche, the Cayman shares 60% of the parts with the Carrera, 20% with the boxster and 20% new parts.
    I'm quoting from memory, but it's close to that. Certainly not 95% Boxster parts.

Quote:
    WD said:
    According to Porsche, the Cayman shares 60% of the parts with the Carrera, 20% with the boxster and 20% new parts.
    I'm quoting from memory, but it's close to that. Certainly not 95% Boxster parts.

So the Cayman is a mid engined Carrera coupe, then? , in which case a Boxster must be a mid engined Carrera convertible It isn't but if it makes you happy to think that then who am I to burst your bubble?

Quote:
    WD said:

Just be sitting in the two cars, you'll see how much there is in common. If the Cayman shares more parts with a Carrera than with the Boxster, you'd need to identify how many parts are identical between the carrera and the boxster.
    What's this all about? BMW does not make a fuss with their Z3/Z4 coupes...they just sell less of them and that's fine with everybody

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    If the Cayman shares more parts with a Carrera than with the Boxster, you'd need to identify how many parts are identical between the carrera and the boxster.

At a guess I would say about 60%

Strange, tht's not at all what I said, but you will take from my comments what you will. I'm certainly happy with my choice, as I'm sure you are.

But we're still diverting of the subject in hand! I couldn't care less what percentage of parts it shered: It looks different, handles different, feels different, therefore in my opinion; IS DIFFERENT!! So why compare it to a price of a Boxster??? I don't think they'll be many considering wether their next car will be Cayman or Boxster. It will be more likely "997 or Cayman?" "M3 or Cayman?" "RS4 or Cayman?" So WHY the %*&$ should it compare in price with a Boxster?????????

You are correct, it is different, and for people who just want a coupe, you have a point.

But the real question IMHO is convertible or not.
    Ususally people on tight budget get the coupe as usually the convertible is more money ($10K in case of the 997), in this case it is less, what a bargain.

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    But we're still diverting of the subject in hand! I couldn't care less what percentage of parts it shered: It looks different, handles different, feels different, therefore in my opinion; IS DIFFERENT!! So why compare it to a price of a Boxster??? I don't think they'll be many considering wether their next car will be Cayman or Boxster. It will be more likely "997 or Cayman?" "M3 or Cayman?" "RS4 or Cayman?" So WHY the %*&$ should it compare in price with a Boxster?????????

Well it certainly doesn't look different other than it is a Boxster with a coupe roof, and the interior is identical in every respect apart from the cowl over the instruments. It handles slightly better, and it is only marginal, due to the greater rigidity of the fixed roof and it has got a better engine, particularly at the top end of the rev range, but it still feels like a Boxster S to me as you would expect due to the fact it is part of the Boxster family, as it's type designation infers. The main difference is whether the buyer wants an open top or a sleek coupe and that's down to personal choice.

But just out of interest, which components do you believe the Cayman shares with the Carrera that the Boxster doesn't? Obviously the Variocam Plus components on the engine, but I can't think of anything else....

Quote:
    vanilla said:

With this same logic (or lack there of) I now present the Carrera Cab which is no longer a 911 but a Cabriolet.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:

With this same logic (or lack there of) I now present the Carrera Cab which is no longer a 911 but a Cabriolet.

And I present to all the Carrera 4S Cab formerly known as 911 and so on and so forth...

What if some day they decide to make a Coupe version of that Carrera Cab?

Quote:
    brunner said:

Then the coupe owners will deny that it has anything to do with the Carrera cab, and probably insist that 60% of its parts are shared with the Space Shuttle.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

Then the coupe owners will deny that it has anything to do with the Carrera cab, and probably insist that 60% of its parts are shared with the Space Shuttle.

Then I would start worrying about the reliability of my chosen mode of transport!

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    I don't think they'll be many considering wether their next car will be Cayman or Boxster. It will be more likely "997 or Cayman?"

If I was in the market for another Boxster I'd consider the Cayman as an alternative, because they are different versions of the same basic car and my choice would be based on the different merits of each. If I was in the market for a 997 then I certainly wouldn't consider a Cayman.

Someone said "how p'ed will Cayman owners be if Boxster gets same engine"

I just don't get that. Why would you (I) be upset?

I love the Cayman. It shares a lot with the Boxster, but it is exactly what it is.. a Cayman S. My Cayman S. I love it. I respect and enjoy the Boxster S, but I didn't want one, but that doesn't mean I am unhappy if someone can buy a Boxster with the same engine. Why would I be? Look at the two cars next to each other, drive them both. They are different and they are similar. I wanted one enough to buy it and not the other. I bought the car for me, not for someone else. If I talked to a Boxster owner who buys one with the Cayman S engine, I would say "cool, it's great isn't it?" I can't compute why someone would have a different response than that.

If you don't like the value equation for a specific car, don't buy it. If you do, do. Your satisfaction need not change because of a future model change. If so, you must really struggle with buying computers!

Many things are relative, but my enjoyment of my scrumptuous Cayman S interior is not hurt by the fact that someone else with the exact same set of options in a Boxster has an ALMOST identical interior.

But, mine goes to 11.

Quote:
    mark34 said:

I love the Cayman. It shares a lot with the Boxster, but it is exactly what it is.. a Cayman S. My Cayman S. I love it. I respect and enjoy the Boxster S, but I didn't want one, but that doesn't mean I am unhappy if someone can buy a Boxster with the same engine. Why would I be? Look at the two cars next to each other, drive them both. They are different and they are similar. I wanted one enough to buy it and not the other. I bought the car for me, not for someone else. If I talked to a Boxster owner who buys one with the Cayman S engine, I would say "cool, it's great isn't it?" I can't compute why someone would have a different response than that.

If you don't like the value equation for a specific car, don't buy it. If you do, do. Your satisfaction need not change because of a future model change. If so, you must really struggle with buying computers!

Many things are relative, but my enjoyment of my scrumptuous Cayman S interior is not hurt by the fact that someone else with the exact same set of options in a Boxster has an ALMOST identical interior.

But, mine goes to 11.

Quote:
    mark34 said:

But, mine goes to 11.

Totally agree with all you've said.

Hat off to you, Mark Obviously you're a real Porsche- enthusiast and gentleman with a "live and let live" attitude

That is a great attitude. I though have a dilema in that I prefer the Cayman because its a coupe but just can't justify spending Pounds5000 more the Boxster S, which is a brilliant car (even before it gets 295bhp). However, to me the Boxster is now technically second best to the Cayman so I don't really want that either.

Well done Porsche!

Quote:
    mark34 said:

But, mine goes to 11.

You make Austonians look good. Totally agree. The perfect car for me is doesn't have to be the same for someone else.

i ordered my cayman last week and will hopefully be getting it in 2 months. while iam a little bothered that the bosxter might get the same hp as the cayman i am also very curios about the marketing-explanation porsche is going to deliver.
    i mean they stuck so much power and money in explainin everyone thats cayman is a separate model..i mean look at the photos on the porsche homepage, where they have their complete lineup: boxster, cayman, 911 & cayenne.

nick

nick1: congrats, you will love the car. I have found myself looking forward to driving it more and more as a month or so has gone by. The little things and the big things come together to make it fit like a glove (a leather wrapped, body lean-less, aurally pleasing (not orally, you gutter dwellers ), beauty of a glove).

mark34: yes! i cant wait to get the car..i put somany options in it its gonna be the most exclusive Cayman in my city!

i just hope they still postition it as an "independent model"...i like this idea more.

nick

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441963 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261136 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5669 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880809 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816334 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM