Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

If the Boxster S gets the Cayman engine...

...where does that leave the Cayman S?

Will it already get an HP increase after just 2 years?

Re: If the Boxster S gets the Cayman engine...

Well, the answers on these question is pretty short-no power increase for Cayman S. Price for Boxster S(with 3.4l Cayman S engine) will go up at least 5000Euro IMO.
    Both base Boxster and Cayman will get more powerfull version of 2.7l(variocam plus) engine.
    Same engines in Boxster and Cayman in all version-lower production cost for Porsche-more money out of costumers pocket-more cash flow for Porsche.
    That how is work in Porsche clinic these days...

It's fine to have both cars with same motor/power... some people want a cab, and some want a coupe. Price being the same shouldn't matter... get which ever you want...

I think that concept of not having the same pricing/engine/name was a funny marketing concept from the start. They pushed so much the 'it's a different car concept' that it's funny.
    Porsche leaflet on the Cayman referred to a Porsche from the old days, quoting how much the Cayman derived from this model (sorry, forgot the 9xx number)...and not a word on the Boxster!!! To tell potential customer the Cayman derives purely from a classic and not from the Boxster is a joke (sorry a marketing trick)
    Anyway, I like the Cayman, but I still can't understand the equation:
    $ coupe > $ cabriolet with HP for coupe > HP for cab
    (not mentionning even the weight....)

Yes, it's just as marketing trick. But it's an easier sell than saying straight in customers' face: sorry, we're just going to raise the price of the Boxster by $5k.

I agree that the Cayman is essentially a hardtop rebadge of the Boxster, a trick I see GM perform but did not expect from Porsche. But in all honesty I will be surprised if the Boxster S reaches price parity with the Cayman S in 1 year, even if they have identical powerplants. Over a few years? Perhaps so, but I suspect there will be a several percentage point price increase on the Boxster S, a smaller one (if any) on the Cayman, and that IF they ever reach parice parity, it will occur overa few years, not just one. And how will Porsche explain this? Simple...they won't. It will be presented as a "fait accomplit" and the customers will get to accept or reject it as they see fit.

Purely speculation on my part.

mcdelaug

How p'd will Cayman owners be if the 987S gets the same engine ? - the price will rise no doubt, but only to justify the ludicrous premium of the Cayman in the first place. IF BMW had been sensible about the pricing of the Z4M then Porsche could have been in real trouble with its pricing structure, as it is they can justify raising the 987S and still be cheaper than the bimmer

Not that much different from offering the new 997 with the old 996 engine then "introducing" an S version, for 10K more, knowing that the S version should have been the standard version.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Not that much different from offering the new 997 with the old 996 engine then "introducing" an S version, for 10K more, knowing that the S version should have been the standard version.

Come on, they added 5hp on the 3.6l powerplant

I love Porsche cars, but can't quite escape the feeling of being suckered every time I contemplate buying one, for exactly these reasons. Just how dumb does Porsche think its customers are?

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Just how dumb does Porsche think its customers are?

They must be right - enough of us keep buying their cars

They can get away with it because there is no perfect competition. Some are close but not close enough for buyers to leave Porsche. So the torture of marginal upgrades continues.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    They can get away with it because there is no perfect competition. Some are close but not close enough for buyers to leave Porsche. So the torture of marginal upgrades continues.

mcdelaug

I agree and I think their strongest competition is from older used Porsches.

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    It will be presented as a "fait accomplit" and the customers will get to accept or reject it as they see fit.

Isn't that how free market economies work?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Grant, you should sell that line to Porsche for use in their advertising.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    It will be presented as a "fait accomplit" and the customers will get to accept or reject it as they see fit.

Isn't that how free market economies work?

Absolutely - and rumour has it that demand is not that great for the Cayman

It's not unsurprising, as customers do not expect the coupé version to be more expensive than the convertible version. As far as I can tell, only one other car attempted that: the Peugeot 404 in the 1960's.
    Of course, hardly anyone bought the coupé.

Marketing can be funny sometimes, and I wouldn't be surprised if the combined sales of all 987 picked up after the Boxster S gets its $5k raise.

IMO Porsche will do it, AND with only a marginal price raise of 2 or 3% for the Boxster S.
    This shows ONCE AGAIN how little respect Porsche has for its customers.
    Boxster S owners :
    Cayman S owners :
    Everybody to their dealers :
    The VIP at PORSCHE :

Oh, I did forget one group of customers, that's THE ONLY GROUP that Porsche loves (FUTURE BUYERS) : THE NEW BOXSTER S OWNERS : , because they still have to order (or just did) AND PAY for their cars PoundsPounds Euro Euro Euro $$$$...!!!!!

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    It's not unsurprising, as customers do not expect the coupé version to be more expensive than the convertible version.

yawn...

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:
    It's not unsurprising, as customers do not expect the coupé version to be more expensive than the convertible version.

yawn...

But true, like it or not.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    The Groom said:

yawn...

But true, like it or not.

All Porsche cars are overpriced, yet all are great which is why we pay the money. There's no complaint at the 997 being overpriced, even at Pounds15k more than a Cayman!

The Cayman is not just a Boxster Coupe, but a seperate model in the Porsche line-up. Price is based on performance and appeal, aswell as marketing placement (just like the 997).

And even so, the sky may be blue; but you don't hear me posting the fact 10 times a day!

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    And even so, the sky may be blue; but you don't hear me posting the fact 10 times a day!

I didn't post it, I just agreed with it.

Let me re-iterate my point...

Porsche cars are not priced based on cost of materials, as I'm in no doubt that through-out the whole line-up, porsche make different margins on each model. Prices aren't calculated based on cost plus 25% margin!! They're based on how good the car will be, how popular it will be, and target audience. So if you're going to argue about the price of the Cayman, why not have a check at how much each of the other models cost porsche to make compared to how much they're sold for.

Quote:
    vanilla said:

Porsche cars are not priced based on cost of materials, as I'm in no doubt that through-out the whole line-up, porsche make different margins on each model. Prices aren't calculated based on cost plus 25% margin!! They're based on how good the car will be, how popular it will be, and target audience. So if you're going to argue about the price of the Cayman, why not have a check at how much each of the other models cost porsche to make compared to how much they're sold for.

I agree - a knowledgeable Rennteamer told me that he had calculated that Porsche pays Valmet around 9,000 euros to assemble each Boxster (or Cayman, presumably). Sounds like a pretty hefty profit by the time you or me write the cheque, even allowing for the cost of the components. Porsche aren't the world's most profitable car company because they are stupid, that's for sure.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:

I agree - a knowledgeable Rennteamer told me that he had calculated that Porsche pays Valmet around 9,000 euros to assemble each Boxster (or Cayman, presumably). Sounds like a pretty hefty profit by the time you or me write the cheque, even allowing for the cost of the components. Porsche aren't the world's most profitable car company because they are stupid, that's for sure.

You're not supposed to agree, you're supposed to argue with me, that's how these threads carry on - even if you do agree!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Grant, you should sell that line to Porsche for use in their advertising.

They have used it before!

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    You're not supposed to agree, you're supposed to argue with me, that's how these threads carry on - even if you do agree!

Sorry, I'll try harder next time. I am clearly out of practice.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:

Sorry, I'll try harder next time. I am clearly out of practice.

No you're not!
    (Is this a five-minute arguement, or the full half hour?)

Maybe, then, Porsche should continually change the price of their models, depending on their sales success... kinda like the stock market...

There was a pub over here that did that - The more people drank a beer, the more expensive it became. Had a ticker going along the top of the bar and everything.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:

Maybe, then, Porsche should continually change the price of their models, depending on their sales success...

Judging by the number of Cayman I've seen on the road (1) my Porsche dealer will be a bit like Tesco's - buy two Boxsters and get a free Cayman.

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    The Cayman is not just a Boxster Coupe, but a seperate model in the Porsche line-up. Price is based on performance and appeal, aswell as marketing placement (just like the 997).

Euh? The Cayman IS a Boxster Coupe with a stiffer suspension and more HP... Sorry. How many parts do they share? 95%+

The fact that Porsche markets it as a different cars is just a genius marketing ploy to charge $5K more than the Boxster S when it should be between $5K and the same price.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778898 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442185 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263057 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261337 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85573 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5778 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881030 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817218 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM