Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 vs Cayenne

should i sell my 997 to get a Cayenne. by now you think i am crazy, but i never drive my 997S. almost one year old and less than 3000 miles. my job does not allow me to drive it during the week so my thinking is maybe if i got a Cayenne S it would get used more. but i don't want to regret my decision.

Re: 997 vs Cayenne

i had a CS , one year and 2500 KM! sold to buy 997 tt... so little time spended with the car.. but each moment...

Correct - you're crazy.

Please dont do that. Cayenne is good for hauling and 997 is good for your sole

You have to find time to dirve it more. I did. I try to dirve it every day to work. Don't keep it in the garage. Take it out and drive it.

if u plan to get a cayenne, at least wait until the facelift...

shame about not driving ur 997...i find it very hard to stop driving, even when i reach my destination

Get a new job!

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    if u plan to get a cayenne, at least wait until the facelift...

shame about not driving ur 997...i find it very hard to stop driving, even when i reach my destination

Like he said

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Get a new job!

I second that, go work for the postal service!

Can you imagine how much EARLIER people would get their mail?

I have several cars and find that the 997S requires a certain frame of mind to drive.

have to dodge cops
    have to be careful about parking
    it's low and cramped (comparatively)
    attracts alot of neg/pos attention
    I tend to drive it spiritedly/"wrecklessly"

So you see you have to be in the mood to drive it.

I like the fact that the CayenneS is a FAST suv. My suv is nondescript so I don't have cops or parking problems. I'd trade it for a cayenneS but then I'd have cop and parking problems!

I can see your point because if the 997s was my ONLY car it might get on my nerves and make me wonder why I have it after a while.

Are you suggesting that if you had a Cayenne, you would be able to drive it for work purposes?? If that's the case, I suppose I can understand the premise, but it's still a nutty transition to off your sportscar for a school bus that handles. Are you going to put a soccer ball sticker in the back window?? (O.K., that was unfair, cold, and cheap... I'll straighten up! )

If you need room for passengers for your work, and you can't justify keeping the 997 as a weekend-only fun car, then why not get a 1st class sports SEDAN? The Cayenne has absolutely no more interior room than any mid-size sedan, and you pay an enormous driving-dynamic penalty in something that is sprung so stiffly, combined with such a high center of gravity. Whenever I drive any of these modern "performance utes", I feel like I'm driving my 997..... FROM THE ROOF, hanging onto an extended steering wheel for dear life due to the constant lateral jouncing and bucking.... all just to satisfy people who have this obsession SUV's, with sitting high above traffic, and those who get sprung at the prospect of being able to go off-road, yet they never actually GO off-roading.

If you can't tell, I find performance utes to be rather absurd tools. I understand Suburbans and Yukons and Navigators and the ilk. They have a soft comfortable ride, fit a TON of gear and kids comfortably, and my wife is obsessed with sitting high. Perfect tool for a serious job. But when you try to mix serious performance in, you wind up with a mutation, the unholy offspring of an Elephant and a Cheetah, that in truth, does NOTHING very well, but alot of things adequately I suppose. I just don't see the sense in spending megabucks on something that's too small inside to be a good family hauler, too heavy to be really fast (even the pricey Turbo isn't much of a sizzler to me, I suppose it's just your perspective), too tall to really handle well without tossing occupants around like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and too damn nice to really feel good about getting nutty off-road. The whole thing is just an enigma to me. And if you simply want to haul-butt with SUV seating, doesn't the SRT8 Jeep look sharp, decent interior, faster than all models of Cayenne except the new uber-pricey Turbo S, and you might be able to afford it AND keep your 997??? I'm rambling, I know, just trying to give you a full range of ideas/perspective...

If I needed to trade-off my 997 to gain more utility and interior/cargo space, I'd be testing out all of the performance sedan offerings from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even the Japenese and Cadillac. I'd have all the room for comfort, and a vehicle that actually handled and rode properly. That's my opinion.

However, if you're saying that you wouldn't use the Cayenne during the week either, you just think you'd use it "more" on the weekends than the 997.... If that's the premise, I think your wife needs to have you Baker Acted.

Nice work 69bossnine. Again funny, honest, informative, and intelligent. You should write for car mags; great for readers but the mags might start to lose ad revenue. Damn!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Are you suggesting that if you had a Cayenne, you would be able to drive it for work purposes?? If that's the case, I suppose I can understand the premise, but it's still a nutty transition to off your sportscar for a school bus that handles. Are you going to put a soccer ball sticker in the back window?? (O.K., that was unfair, cold, and cheap... I'll straighten up! )

If you need room for passengers for your work, and you can't justify keeping the 997 as a weekend-only fun car, then why not get a 1st class sports SEDAN? The Cayenne has absolutely no more interior room than any mid-size sedan, and you pay an enormous driving-dynamic penalty in something that is sprung so stiffly, combined with such a high center of gravity. Whenever I drive any of these modern "performance utes", I feel like I'm driving my 997..... FROM THE ROOF, hanging onto an extended steering wheel for dear life due to the constant lateral jouncing and bucking.... all just to satisfy people who have this obsession SUV's, with sitting high above traffic, and those who get sprung at the prospect of being able to go off-road, yet they never actually GO off-roading.

If you can't tell, I find performance utes to be rather absurd tools. I understand Suburbans and Yukons and Navigators and the ilk. They have a soft comfortable ride, fit a TON of gear and kids comfortably, and my wife is obsessed with sitting high. Perfect tool for a serious job. But when you try to mix serious performance in, you wind up with a mutation, the unholy offspring of an Elephant and a Cheetah, that in truth, does NOTHING very well, but alot of things adequately I suppose. I just don't see the sense in spending megabucks on something that's too small inside to be a good family hauler, too heavy to be really fast (even the pricey Turbo isn't much of a sizzler to me, I suppose it's just your perspective), too tall to really handle well without tossing occupants around like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and too damn nice to really feel good about getting nutty off-road. The whole thing is just an enigma to me. And if you simply want to haul-butt with SUV seating, doesn't the SRT8 Jeep look sharp, decent interior, faster than all models of Cayenne except the new uber-pricey Turbo S, and you might be able to afford it AND keep your 997??? I'm rambling, I know, just trying to give you a full range of ideas/perspective...

If I needed to trade-off my 997 to gain more utility and interior/cargo space, I'd be testing out all of the performance sedan offerings from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even the Japenese and Cadillac. I'd have all the room for comfort, and a vehicle that actually handled and rode properly. That's my opinion.

However, if you're saying that you wouldn't use the Cayenne during the week either, you just think you'd use it "more" on the weekends than the 997.... If that's the premise, I think your wife needs to have you Baker Acted.

Good job bossnine..

I agree with your point regarding selling performance in a ute. But you are way off base regarding other aspects of the Cayenne.

It is as large if not larger than any sedan, appointed as well and provides substantially more space. In addition, the Cayenne has one of the best turning radius in the industry. The SUV almost turns on a dime. It is better than my Mini! In parking lots or tight turning areas the Cayenne shines. No sedan could come close to what the Cayenne provides.

If someone wants comfort, utility, performance and panache the Cayenne is hard to beat. It costs less than most high sedans and provides everything they do and more. This is coming from a Cayenne owner who does not think much of Porsche.

Nberry, tell us who pointed a gun at your head?

if you are considering exchanging your 997 for a cayenne, make sure you get a cayenne turbo.

i have a cayenne S and its a fine car. however, i was not satisfied with its power and placed order for a turbo which i am receiving next month.

you might also want to wait for the facelift to be released.

997 and cayenne are both great cars, if you are really interested in making the change, wait till next year for the new facelift!

Just to keep things simple, I'll just pull one sedan out to compare against, the 5-series BMW

Curb-to-curb turning circle:

Cayenne - 38.4 ft
    5-Series - 37.4 ft

Front/Rear legroom:

Cayenne - 40.6" front/ 35.9" rear
    5-Series - 41.5" front/ 36" rear

Front shoulder room:

Cayenne - 58.5"
    5-Series - 57.3" front

Rear cargo room:

Cayenne - 19.1 cu ft
    5-Series - 14 cu ft

Of course, you've got to recognize that in order to USE that extra 5 cu ft of cargo space in the Porsche, you've got to stack your stuff to the ceiling, effectively blocking your rearward view so you can't see directly behind you. That extra 5 cu ft is basically the space from the ceiling down one foot, all the way across. In a pinch, yes, at least you've got it. But for the most part, it blinds you to the rear, and if you get into a front-end accident, anything stacked toward the roof will be flying at X-mph toward the back of you and your passengers heads...

I'm not seeing the substantial more of anything, and I'm not imagining that most other mid-sizers are much different dimensionally. Furthermore, I'm not seeing how the Cayenne is cheaper... I'm not talking S-classes and 7-serieses here...

Not trying to start a big boring debate, just giving statistical "huh?" to your post.

I went through the soul searching a little while ago when I decided it was time for another Porsche. What MMD says is right,--you have to factor that stuff in like searching for a Porsche parking spot, etc. I think other than for pure profits, Porsche developed the Cayenne to accommodate the older Porsche drivers who felt that they had matured out of their 911s and then wanted something still sporty, but more practical,--and a way to better carry the kids or grandkids.

I opted for the 911,--but may go the Cayenne route in a couple more years to replace another vehicle in the garage.

dan

So you will have a Cayenne with just 3000mls on the clock in one year? hmmmm.... I see your point.....

I'm with bossnine on this one. I'd get a sport sedan over the Cayenne. IMO, one of the reasons Porsche created the Cayenne(and Cayman S as well) to broaden its consumer base, in particular...women.

thanks for all the great wisdom, especially 69boss. I love my car, but some times it does feel uncomfortable getting in and out and finding the perfect parking spot and all the other stuff that goes along with being a picking P car owner and it will never change, it is in my genes. You have all talked me, at least for now, into keeping the S and trying to drive it more often. But to clarify, I drive a Tundra Double Cab daily and a Cayenne would be its replacement which would be much more fun to drive and it gets 20K miles a year. The 997S is a weekend toy and with kids and other life stuff it tends to not get driven much, but I will try to drive it more often. I also have to deal with the guilt of having a car that sits and then knowing that the thing is just devaluing and I am not even driving it, oui the guilt. Now if Porsche just made a pickup truck that would be perfect. I go back and forth to a mountain home quite a bit and often carry things, like last week I carried a pallet of bricks to a job sit, so unfortunately, what I really need is one of all the above, which is what I may just do, but then I would really feel guilty, but life is short so what the hell. Thanks for all the great wisdom.

the Cayenne is not a sports car and it does not feel like one. It feels more like a heavy SUV...because that is what it is. Forget the marketing...it is not a passion filled Porsche 977. If you want a all purpose fun to drive car a Subaru WRX wagon would fit the bill. But for me, I would keep the 997 as it is the ultimate passion car...if you can not feel that passion, then sell it and forget it. But do not look for a 911 SUV, because ther just just is no such dog in this race.

I say keep the 997 and get the Cayenne as well.

I do not agree with any of the negative comments towards the Cayenne mentioned in this forum, in particular, the comparison between a sport sedan and an SUV because it is even worse than comparing apples and oranges.

Pick any SUV out there to compare with the Cayenne to make any logical conclusion. I failed to find any other SUV that offers a more complete package than the Cayenne.

Oui, why the guilt? Depreciation is a fact of life as are death and taxes. If depreciation had been a concern at the time of purchase I doubt you would have made the purchase. As for the kids, that is why Porsche offers child seats. What kid wouldn't have a smile from ear to ear being hustled around in dads Porsche. The only difference between a path and a rut is depth. A 997S is the perfect antidote for a rut.

69bossnine: I think you make an excellent case, and for "porsche nut's" use, I suspect you have a compelling case for him to use the 5 series instead of the Cayenne.

The case I have against that is BMW's remarkably problematic electronics. My e-wife has an X-5 and continues to have recurring electronic gremlins that keep returning. Her vehicle is FAR more problematic than my Cayenne has been.

My 2nd argument is that the 5 series is not an SUV (nor is the X-5, for that matter ). Some people just want an SUV for the higher driving position, higher headroom, etc.

Also, and I know I'm in the minority here, the Cayenne is actually capable (and competent) of going off-road. And there is a lot of world to be discovered off-road. Places your 5 series or 911 would not even consider venturing to.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:

Also, and I know I'm in the minority here, the Cayenne is actually capable (and competent) of going off-road.

Agree 100 percent. Perfect for desert SW where off road is a major trip (good thing) and getting there involves some serious, not-well-travelled (e.g. fast ) highway driving.

It's the perfect car for around those parts, looks good at the CC golf course and the valet stand too.

I wasn't singling out the 5-series for any other reason than as a "representative" mid-size-sedan package for specification. If it happens to be a problematic lemon, there are plenty of other choices in that category.

Yes, I know a sedan won't get off-road very well, but how many Cayennes really ever do? And when they do, are they really that great?? I guess I've always been of the mind that "swiss army knife" vehicles can do anything adequately, but nothing well. In Colorado, my dad keeps an '84 CJ-7 straight-6 that he bought new for the family's use to go mountain-hopping. No, it's not refined, and not leather-trimmed, and it doesn't have navigation...(it doesn't even have a floormat)... but who wants to haul all that up into the dirt and rocks to get thrashed and trashed?? It's like wearing designer boots and a silk shirt and a pinky ring to dig a ditch.

If you wanna go off-road, buy something you don't mind getting dirty inside and out. They're cheap, and they get you where the Gucci rides won't go. It's just my opinion..

Porche Nut, I'm doing the same thing as you, although I drive my 997 more than you do. But I've got a Ford F-150 supercrew as my mainstay beater.. Alot of utility there, but it's no premium ride. But if you're as nit-picky as I am, you've GOTTA have something to drive that you really don't give two-hoots about, just to keep your sanity. I spend most of my time keeping my 997S absolutely spotless and perfect, and I don't park it in certain places, and I don't drive it through construction, etc.etc... In my truck, I just don't have to worry about that stuff, and it keeps my stress level to a minimum during busy work weeks. If you buy a Cayenne, you may fall into the trap of stressing about it's upkeep and depreciation, whereas your current truck gets you there and back with zero stress, and you've got your primo 997 sitting clean in the garage for when you want to dress-up and have fun.

That makes a perfect combo, and perfect sense

I have thought about the M5 but really don't have a passion for BMW. I did the M3 thing and was not impressed. I too really enjoy driving the Cayenne daily. It is a fun truck that hauls ass. So what I have decided is i will keep the 997S and sell the pickup truck and look for a used Cayenne with not too many miles. From what I can tell, there is no differences between an 04 and an 06. I have seen 04's & 05's going for 40K so that is the thing to do.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777818 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441941 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261114 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85372 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880788 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816300 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM