Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

throt:
    nberry:
    Joost:

Some people just prefer manual, such a shame that Nick doesn't allow them to... 

Not true. MT devotees claim MT is more fun to drive. Personally I find such statements absurd. In traffic, MT is painful. On a performance track MT is slow. On public roads, MT is clumsy and disruptive. Nevertheless, some want a MT. My advice, you can have the same if not better experience in a much cheaper car. Smiley

Nick, 

You having buckets or comfy spec??.

I am going with the buckets. Aestheticly they look better. Also, better for resale. I don't do long trips in a GT car so comfort is not a significant issue. Most of my forays are of a short duration.kiss

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Caitlin is apparently a good track driver, whereas many here will never drive their cars on the track or even approach 5/10th of the performance.  

vantagesc:

Caitlin is apparently a good track driver, whereas many here will never drive their cars on the track or even approach 5/10th of the performance.  

I would be careful with this assumption. Many here are very good drivers, some even have a professional background. Like riding a bike, you never forget what you learn but training is very important indeed.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

nberry:
    throt:
    nberry:
    Joost:

Not true. MT devotees claim MT is more fun to drive. Personally I find such statements absurd. In traffic, MT is painful. On a performance track MT is slow. On public roads, MT is clumsy and disruptive. Nevertheless, some want a MT. My advice, you can have the same if not better experience in a much cheaper car. Smiley

Nick, 

I am going with the buckets. Aestheticly they look better. Also, better for resale. I don't do long trips in a GT car so comfort is not a significant issue. Most of my forays are of a short duration.kiss

You have been pretty outspoken in saying buckets make no sense in the past, so glad to see the change in heart. Maybe you will even have more "fun" in the car with them now!

nberry:

I think you'll find it makes driving the car a more "connected" experience.  A little gymnastics required for entry/exit, but really nice once in them.  Perfect for the GT4.  In the GT3, it's a little inconvenient not being able to easily access the rear part of the cabin (including simple things like cleaning the inside of the rear window or storing luggage behind the seats)

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

nberry:
    Joost:

"MT is more fun to drive"
    "On public roads, MT is clumsy and disruptive"

I find both statements from both sides equally narrow-minded or badly formulated at least: some people FIND MT more fun to drive, and you FIND it clumsy and disruptive on public roads.

For me, I enjoy MT when driving fast or on the curvy B-roads near my home town. During normal traffic, it is nothing special to do, but I enjoy the interaction between me and my car. The only times when I curse it is in heavy start-stop traffic jams... but then again, at those time I don't enjoy "driving" at all, manual or automatic.

-Joost-

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I may find myself soon in a difficult position (first world problem):

Take PDK in order to get a good Euro Delivery Date or wait for Manual and either get the car delivered at home or delay until the Spring.  Could cause me to eat my hat angry

We'll see what happens, but so far the odds of getting September factory delivery with Manual seems like equal chance of winning the lottery.  If I get late October delivery, I might drive the car to Spain and Portugal for warmer weather.  If I get November delivery, then I think I have to take Winter tires (which don't work well at Ascari and Portimao)...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Joost:
    Gnil:
    Joost:

There is a guy in my village who has one as a DD . I saw him drive the car the whole winter . So cool. It does not look out of place , the car is silver and looks ' old' so no problem . I would love to have that .Nice!
    BTW, you're so spoilt Eric! An RS and 964 yourself, neighbors with GT3s and other exclusive Porsche collections... I see a 911 at most once a week! (Having said that, a guy in my town has a CGT and a 918 spyder, but I have only once seen his CGT in a flash as he drove in the opposite direction)

I want move to his village. just hope its on french side

Grant:

I may find myself soon in a difficult position (first world problem):

Take PDK in order to get a good Euro Delivery Date or wait for Manual and either get the car delivered at home or delay until the Spring.  Could cause me to eat my hat angry

We'll see what happens, but so far the odds of getting September factory delivery with Manual seems like equal chance of winning the lottery.  If I get late October delivery, I might drive the car to Spain and Portugal for warmer weather.  If I get November delivery, then I think I have to take Winter tires (which don't work well at Ascari and Portimao)...

Can you somehow (test)drive PDK in a 991.1 GT3 or 991.1 GT3 RS? You love manual, you shouldn't get something you may not like, just because you get the car earlier.  

If you testdrive a GT3/GT3 RS, shift PDK manually. Makes a big difference. Many testdrive these cars in auto mode, I wouldn't do it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Yeah, I love Manual and would only get PDK if I thought I would enjoy it and if I was fairly sure this would not be a "forever" car.  If my allocation comes in the Winter, I think I have to pass on Euro Delivery (which would be a big loss for me - one of the primary reasons to buy a new car for me).  I think giving up my number 1 spot at the dealer to wait for Manual and/or Euro Delivery could be dangerous - there is no assurance that there will be another chance (small dealer with few allocations and such a chance might not be at the right time of year either).

--

Grant:

Yeah, I love Manual and would only get PDK if I thought I would enjoy it and if I was fairly sure this would not be a "forever" car.  If my allocation comes in the Winter, I think I have to pass on Euro Delivery (which would be a big loss for me - one of the primary reasons to buy a new car for me).  I think giving up my number 1 spot at the dealer to wait for Manual and/or Euro Delivery could be dangerous - there is no assurance that there will be another chance (small dealer with few allocations and such a chance might not be at the right time of year either).

I still believe that you can have a lot of fun with manually shifted PDK as well (at least on the GT3 and GT3 RS, the Carrera PDK sucks Smiley) but I don't want to convince you. Euro delivery would be of course fantastic for you, you already did that and enjoyed it tremendously as far as I remember.

I agree, giving up the first spot is dangerous but if you really trust and know the dealer, maybe there is a solution? Dealers are sometimes happy if the first one jumps ship (I remember what happened to "my" 911 R Smiley, it was "auctioned"...interested customers had to pay 5k EUR into a charity and the winner was picked randomly Smiley) and since the GT3 isn't limited, I don't really see a problem if the dealer gets enough allocations. I would talk to him.

--

Grant, if the car is a keeper for many years, then you need to wait for what you really want. 

If you are on the fence about MT vs PDK, I would take the earlier PDK car with Euro delivery.  Since you sold your GT4, the wait will be painful and you'd be foregoing a life long memory for little reason. Life is too short. 

vantagesc:

Grant, if the car is a keeper for many years, then you need to wait for what you really want

Smiley

If you are on the fence about MT vs PDK, I would take the earlier PDK car with Euro delivery.  Since you sold your GT4, the wait will be painful and you'd be foregoing a life long memory for little reason. Life is too short. 

Again... Smiley

--

RC:
    vantagesc:

I would be careful with this assumption. Many here are very good drivers, some even have a professional background. Like riding a bike, you never forget what you learn but training is very important indeed.  

RC, your statement and mine are not mutually exclusive. 

vantagesc:
    nberry:
    throt:
    nberry:
    Joost:

Nick, 

You have been pretty outspoken in saying buckets make no sense in the past, so glad to see the change in heart. Maybe you will even have more "fun" in the car with them now!

They only make more sense in a dedicated performance car which the GT3 is. If the car is to be used for DD and performance, I would think twice about buying buckets especially if the commute to work is in traffic. MY GT3 will not be a DD.

--

Thanks guys!

--

Grant:

Grant,

the easiest solution is keep your first spot and go ahead with PDK GT3 and euro delivery.

if you don't like it enough, ask dealer to order you a manual and promise them that you will trade the PDK back to them.  They will love you so much for this trade in.

chances is you may make some money in your trade as well...

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:

Grant,

the easiest solution is keep your first spot and go ahead with PDK GT3 and euro delivery.

if you don't like it enough, ask dealer to order you a manual and promise them that you will trade the PDK back to them.  They will love you so much for this trade in.

I love your thinking!  Unfortunately, I helped a buddy get on the list there and his spot is sort of a reserve position (will only be filled if they get more allocations than ever before or people drop off the list).  So, unlikely that I'd get two bites of the apple.  But maybe I could find a dealer somewhere that could accommodate such a deal. Smiley

--

Grant:

Thanks guys!

Get a GT4... it is cooler, manlier and manual kiss For the price difference you can attend all tracks you could possibly want. You are welcome Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Grant:

Thanks guys!

Get a GT4... it is cooler, manlier and manual kiss For the price difference you can attend all tracks you could possibly want. You are welcome Smiley

I would, but they don't sell them anymore (need a new model to do Euro Delivery and go pester you in CH) Smiley

--

Grant:
    Targa Tim:

Grant,

I love your thinking!  Unfortunately, I helped a buddy get on the list there and his spot is sort of a reserve position (will only be filled if they get more allocations than ever before or people drop off the list).  So, unlikely that I'd get two bites of the apple.  But maybe I could find a dealer somewhere that could accommodate such a deal. Smiley

I don't know how the US dealers operate.

In Vancouver, being on the list does not equal to getting a car, no matter where one is positioned on the list.

Someone with a GT3 or RS trade in, or those cocky 918 owners, will have the highest priority, next in line are VIPs like me.  Anyone that does not own any Porsche basically has no chance at all, they will not even let him get on the list.

I may or may not be able to get one, depending on how many people are trading in their GT3 or RS in front of me.

If I trade in my 3.8RS, I will get one of the top spot.  But of course I will not be stupid enough to do this.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Yeah, here I think the list is a little more democratic (unlike our politics indecision).  And there is no way I could move my friend out of line - too cruel (unless he does something to piss me off) blush

--

Grant:
    bluelines:
    Grant:

Thanks guys!

I would, but they don't sell them anymore (need a new model to do Euro Delivery and go pester you in CH) Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

In the U.S., being on a list doesn't really matter necessarily either, especially if in a hot geographical region (e.g. SoCal) and you are new customer to that dealer.

vantagesc:

In the U.S., being on a list doesn't really matter necessarily either, especially if in a hot geographical region (e.g. SoCal) and you are new customer to that dealer.

If your a new customer, don't waste your time.Smiley

--

Grant

The 6 speed manual is sublime. Best manual gearbox I have ever experienced.

The car is likely to be a long term keeper - perhaps the peak of Porsche's non-turbo engine development with 9k redline, motorsport linked engine, etc. Now we have hybrids/electrics around the corner, self driving cars on the horizon..

Wait for the car if a manual ticks more of the boxes.

David

I'm so glad that I'm not getting a 991.2 GT3:  MT/PDK... both good - what to choose - can't go wrong with either but when you have decided you will have that creeping feeling: "maybe, maybe I should have chosen the other gearbox".

I think there is an option missing in the car configurator: Gearbox exchange Program: Drive half the year with PDK and the other half with PDK. "We switch the box for you for free."

Grant - can't you just ask them for a spring build slot? That's what I did. Seems clear to me your heart is set on a manual..

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

This sounds sooo much better and seems sooo much more fun than PDK-paddles-rear-wheel-steering-lift-system-computerized-driving-aids-apple-carplay-gt3-with-rear-view-camera

--

Friend had a 996 GT3, totally analog, connected drivers  car.  Problem was you needed a full time dentist to replace your fillings if you drove on anything rougher than a billiard table! 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691538 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256329 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235507 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65824 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4751 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858979 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775413 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM