Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: PSM anyone switch it off?

Quote:
    JJBlade said:
    It is a case of if my car slides I want it to slide and have deliberately set out to make it do so. If PSM is on I can't do this so I turn it off. The car won't be sliding unless I want it to so who cares that it is off?

You need my TTS, PSM only comes in after the event and it gives you the biggest thrills just sorting its mess out.

I have to say after reading these posts, that most of you should not be driving period! Let alone a 911.

Please let me know when your in my area, so that I warn everyone to stay indoors, only the guys that do not invoke PSM or drive with it off, would I feel comfortable around.

Gents: I was told by the dealer that if the PSM is off and your car gets out of control the computer will kick it back in automatically? Is that B.S. then?

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Gents: I was told by the dealer that if the PSM is off and your car gets out of control the computer will kick it back in automatically? Is that B.S. then?

once you brake hard enough, that abs is activated, psm is switched back on.

The computer will only kick it back in automatically if you loose control AND you are on the brakes HARD, then afterwards it will shut itself off back again as soon as you are off the brakes and control is regained.

Quote:
    JJBlade said:
    It is a case of if my car slides I want it to slide and have deliberately set out to make it do so. If PSM is on I can't do this so I turn it off. The car won't be sliding unless I want it to so who cares that it is off?

Your car can "slide" even with PSM turned on, especially if you have the sport chrono option activated.
    The PSM jumps only in when you do something stupid and/or if the pavement is somehow slippery, it is not the "regular" ESP system people know from BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Try to drive a "clean" line with PSM turned on, you'll be surprised how fast you can be without having to turn it off. If you WANT to slide and to provoke such behaviour, please do yourself and others on the street a favor: do it on a closed track. My rear slides from time to time too when I pass a curve very fast, especially a tight one but I never provoke it.

Nobody wants to take away your fun. But drifting through a curve on a public street isn't quite the fun I would like to have. You wouldn't be the first to be killed (imagine somebody doing the same coming from the opposite direction ) and definetely not the first who kills somebody else who wasn't even involved with your fun.

We all like driving fast and I doubt that everybody always respects the legal speed limits. But killing ourselves is one thing, involving others in such a tragic event is a completely different story. You need to find a middle way and PSM can help you to reduce the risk. Like I said before, drive a "clean" line and PSM hardly comes on on a dry street.

If and you have an accident your insurer can find out whether the PSM is activated or not.

If you've turned it off it may hamper your claim, making an accident painful on the wallet too (if you're still around to pick up the costs), plus the potential negligence implications (maybe I'm not a lawyer ).

Maybe this is another reason not to turn it off?

Amusing tread... I can't resist adding my two cents. Just last week I went for a ride in a 997 S with David Donahue (Mark's son and current Grand Am prototype pilot) driving. Right behind us was another identical 997 S with Hurley Haywood behind the wheel. Hurley is one of the most successful endurance racers of all time (mostly Porsches). We were at full race speeds with slight drifts through most corners. Hurley was on our butt about a half foot back in the tight corners. It was fascinating to be a passenger and watch a professional driver modulate the throttle and brake for the cars optimal dynamic balance and maximum speed .... Yes we were on a track, Porsche North America's track for PDE. PSM was always on. These guys can drive circles around me and most likely everyone else on this tread and they didn't need to turn PSM off to go fast. A Porsche properly used is unbelievable fast, perhaps even faster with PSM on.

I am on my third 911 since 1976 and I have experienced snap over steer on the street more times than I want to admit. I'm fortunate I didn't kill myself or someone else. I have never even thought of turning PSM off on the street. I view it much like ABS, technology that can save my butt. I do turn it off for track events and autocross. However, after doing PDE, I am going to experiment on the track with it on and off. I have done it both ways at an autocross and the car does experience too much throttle reduction with PSM on. So it is best off for those events. But for the street... the only reason for it off is to impress a 'new girl friend' or to fool yourself with your "great car control."

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Amusing tread... I can't resist adding my two cents. Just last week I went for a ride in a 997 S with David Donahue (Mark's son and current Grand Am prototype pilot) driving. Right behind us was another identical 997 S with Hurley Haywood behind the wheel. Hurley is one of the most successful endurance racers of all time (mostly Porsches). We were at full race speeds with slight drifts through most corners. Hurley was on our butt about a half foot back in the tight corners. It was fascinating to be a passenger and watch a professional driver modulate the throttle and brake for the cars optimal dynamic balance and maximum speed .... Yes we were on a track, Porsche North America's track for PDE. PSM was always on. These guys can drive circles around me and most likely everyone else on this tread and they didn't need to turn PSM off to go fast. A Porsche properly used is unbelievable fast, perhaps even faster with PSM on.

I am on my third 911 since 1976 and I have experienced snap over steer on the street more times than I want to admit. I'm fortunate I didn't kill myself or someone else. I have never even thought of turning PSM off on the street. I view it much like ABS, technology that can save my butt. I do turn it off for track events and autocross. However, after doing PDE, I am going to experiment on the track with it on and off. I have done it both ways at an autocross and the car does experience too much throttle reduction with PSM on. So it is best off for those events. But for the street... the only reason for it off is to impress a 'new girl friend' or to fool yourself with your "great car control."

Amen.....

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:

I am on my third 911 since 1976 and I have experienced snap over steer on the street more times than I want to admit. I'm fortunate I didn't kill myself or someone else. I have never even thought of turning PSM off on the street. I view it much like ABS, technology that can save my butt. I do turn it off for track events and autocross. However, after doing PDE, I am going to experiment on the track with it on and off. I have done it both ways at an autocross and the car does experience too much throttle reduction with PSM on. So it is best off for those events. But for the street... the only reason for it off is to impress a 'new girl friend' or to fool yourself wi

th your "great car control."

What a load of bollocks.

Every Porsche instructor I have ever been with in the UK admits that if you are a good driver, that PSM interferes with your enjoyment of the car.

Why do so many people on this thread keep talking such [censored] ?

Once the car steps out of line PSM hits you on the head like a really over hand nasty school bully. It is so shocking it scares the [censored] out of me when I least expect it.

If PSM is off the car slides and you turn the steering wheel into the slide and nothing unexpected happens.

For fucks sake guys stop being such a bunch of homosexuals and let the car slide. Even on track in 3rd gear at 110mph as the rear came round and I thought well that is nigh on impossible to retrieve it came back smoothly.

I have never once spun the car and that is in 20 mph 1st gear foot to the floor corners and 3rd gear lift off ones.

Get a [censored] grip !

Sliding may be fun, or look "cool" to the "Fast & Furious" crowd, but it's the "slow way" around a race track.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Sliding may be fun, or look "cool" to the "Fast & Furious" crowd, but it's the "slow way" around a race track.

You are quite correct and there is no argument for sliding if 'speed' is your aim. However the 'fastest' laps by all proffesional drivers are made with artificial safety devices turned off This is because these 'PSM' type devices inhibit a good driver from getting a car set up for a corner on entry and exiting it properly.

Should you know of any single car that is faster with SAFETY turned on than off I would love to hear !

remember on top gear the stig driven the 997c4s laps(psm on) faster then the 997cs?

Why don't you just watch your language and stop being so arrogant

Quote:
    JJBlade said: For fucks sake guys stop being such a bunch of homosexuals and let the car slide. Even on track in 3rd gear at 110mph as the rear came round and I thought well that is nigh on impossible to retrieve it came back smoothly.

JJblade you're my hero....... NOT

Quote:
    JJBlade said:
    What a load of bollocks.

Every Porsche instructor I have ever been with in the UK admits that if you are a good driver, that PSM interferes with your enjoyment of the car.

Why do so many people on this thread keep talking such [censored] ?

Once the car steps out of line PSM hits you on the head like a really over hand nasty school bully. It is so shocking it scares the [censored] out of me when I least expect it.

If PSM is off the car slides and you turn the steering wheel into the slide and nothing unexpected happens.

For fucks sake guys stop being such a bunch of homosexuals and let the car slide. Even on track in 3rd gear at 110mph as the rear came round and I thought well that is nigh on impossible to retrieve it came back smoothly.

I have never once spun the car and that is in 20 mph 1st gear foot to the floor corners and 3rd gear lift off ones.

Get a [censored] grip !

I don't understand this, it doesn't make sense. I ride a 160HP/180kg sportbike with no electronic aids and a little contact patch on only two wheels, I have broken my scaphoid bone in my wrist from a fall on the track and gotten back up again inmediately, picked up the bike, and kept on lapping the track all out until the pain was unbearable and finally getting it in a cast for a couple of months thereafter. I have been riding since 10-11 yoa and seen & experienced many things. I'm a very agressive driver in the corners in everyday comuting and hit tripple digit speeds in my 911 every week.

That said, I always have PSM on, at least in Sport mode when I want more flexibility in the traction of the rear, and it never hinders my perfomance. If PSM comes on, especially in sport mode, its because I made a mistake. And it has saved my butt from the unexpected things anyone can encouter in the public roads that are not always dependant on our own driving. In my case it was with the 996 under rain in a very dangerous road and an [censored] jumped into my lane while I was accelerating hard coming out of a turn. If you had been in my place without PSM, you would not be here posting today.

By your own admission, that is driver error and I rest my case.

I'm a biker too and my bike still offers the ultimate adrenaline fix-even compared to a 911.

What I don't understand is why it's necessary on this forum to resort to profanity and frankly insulting comments even if your opinion differs, JJ, to make your point.

Everyone who has read your comments understands that you don't want to drive with PSM on because you think it interferes with your fun on the road. Most of us think PSM is a useful thing best left switched on on a public troad and perhaps off in controlled conditions on a track-although we can debate that.

Next time I come round a corner on my bike I hope I don't meet the rear end of your 997S on my side of the road in the peak district. I understand where you are coming from but you don't need to ram it down our throats.

It doesn't make you anymore of a driver if you turn PSM off, It doesn't make you anymore of a driver if you don't. We all have our own style of risk assesment. Do what you please, I just hope you stay safe and don't have a thrilling ride at someone elses expense.

Quote:
    F1reblade said:

Re-read again... if someone cuts in your path, its not your driver error, neither is if you encounter a oil spill in the exit of a corner or if a kid crosses your path chasing after a ball.

Also, its interesting that behind the internet you have all sorts of Michael Schumachers with flawless driving at 10/10ths... please. I have never crashed a car or bike in the public street inspite my sporty driving style so I have a pretty good record but I'm not that conceided so as to think I don't make mistakes.

Prior to taking delivery of my 997 C4S, I undertook a Porsche Driving Experience at the Millbrook Testing Ground in the UK, with one of Porsche GB's instructors. One demonstration that illustrates the benefits of PSM in a benign and dry environment is initiated as follows: 50 mph, steady throttle with no steering input, abrupt throttle lift off followed immediately by a sharp but not aggressive steering input of around 30 degrees. With PSM on the car just follows the steering input, with it off the car breaks away! It is a salutory lesson that the 997 has lost little of the bite demonstrated by its predecessors.

However, if contributors feel the need to switch off PSM to get some additional thrills, and I can't see why they need to, then so be it - on a track! However, on the public highway, I can see no reason to do so even if the car is being driven in a spirited manner. I enjoy my car to the full and see benefit in switching off the PSM - unless I really wanted to trash the tyres unnecessarily, and most likely been seen as 'driving without due care and attention' or 'reckless driving'.

There are always those that quote being 'fastest not using driver aids'; perhaps those drivers have skills that most of us can only envy - but I'm confident that they would not drive with the tail wagging on public roads, not least with the police watching. The fastest drivers are those that drive smoothly and efficiently without tyre scrubbing escapades.

Finally, if Porsche didn't see a need for PSM, it wouldn't have fitted it!!

I await JJBlade's inevitable - and probably inarticulate and offensive - response!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    F1reblade said:

Re-read again... if someone cuts in your path, its not your driver error, neither is if you encounter a oil spill in the exit of a corner or if a kid crosses your path chasing after a ball.

Also, its interesting that behind the internet you have all sorts of Michael Schumachers with flawless driving at 10/10ths... please. I have never crashed a car or bike in the public street inspite my sporty driving style so I have a pretty good record but I'm not that conceided so as to think I don't make mistakes.

Ok I reread both of your posts and I quote "In my case it was with the 996 under rain in a very dangerous road and an [censored] jumped into my lane while I was accelerating hard coming out of a turn. If you had been in my place without PSM, you would not be here posting today. " As I said I rest my case you had to rely on PSM.

I don,t drive at 10/10ths on the road to old for that now, it also seems strange that you have never had any accidents sounds like you know nothing about things called limits I normally find those sorts as the armchair critics and generally the rest of us have to spend time avoiding on road and track!!

I have not proported to be anything I am not! I have had accidents, I am in fact recovering from a rebuilt shoulder good old titanium and fractured left elbow at this moment and typing this hurts.

Quote:
    F1reblade said:
    You need my TTS, PSM only comes in after the event and it gives you the biggest thrills just sorting its mess out.

By definition, ESP systems like PSM do come in after the event, because they are not equipped with a crystal ball. They react to signals from various sensors not "matching up", suggesting that the car has become unstable.

You imply in your posts that you have had a nasty moment, which you apparently blame on the PSM system, but as far as I can see you have not described the circumstances. PSM will not prevent a car from becoming initially unstable, it can only intervene after it detects instability to try to correct the situation by applying the appropriate inputs. A well-tuned ESP system, such as PSM is, can be better relied on to apply the right corrective inputs than any driver can: For instance, there are no drivers out there capable of braking individual wheels as PSM does.

Nevertheless, PSM is not totally foolproof, because some situations can be so bad that neither the best driver nor PSM could prevent a spin. But that situation will have been initially allowed to come about by the driver, and not by the PSM. It can only react, remember?

In spite of the above defense of ESP systems, I am not unreservedly a fan. I think there is a risk of drivers deluding themselves into thinking that they are immortal because ESP will save them if they switch off their own brains. Those drivers are - like ESP - also not equipped with crystal balls, but they are better equipped than ESP to predict the outcome of "overenthusiastic" driving. Having more balls (non-crystal variety) than brains was never a good recipe for survival.

Quote:
    F1reblade said:
    Ok I reread both of your posts and I quote "In my case it was with the 996 under rain in a very dangerous road and an [censored] jumped into my lane while I was accelerating hard coming out of a turn. If you had been in my place without PSM, you would not be here posting today. " As I said I rest my case you had to rely on PSM.

I don,t drive at 10/10ths on the road to old for that now, it also seems strange that you have never had any accidents sounds like you know nothing about things called limits I normally find those sorts as the armchair critics and generally the rest of us have to spend time avoiding on road and track!!

I have not proported to be anything I am not! I have had accidents, I am in fact recovering from a rebuilt shoulder good old titanium and fractured left elbow at this moment and typing this hurts.

Thast my point, there are other cars and circumstances in the public roads besides yourself. A car suddently gets in collision course with you under the rain coming out of the corner and everybody will benefit from PSM. Its not fool proof, you can't RELY on it to do things you wouldn't do without PSM, but it significantly increases active safety.

You say you don't drive 10/10ths on the streets, thats a good thing, because the public streets are not for driving at 10/10ths. But why do you switch the PSM off then? seems like a contradiction, if you don't drive to the limits of PSM activation why you it bother you so much that you need to switch it off? its doesn't add up.

As to my driving record, I started driving bikes and cars since 10-11 yoa, I'm 33 yoa now and I have had no accident in "public streets" the only incident was a couple of years ago sitting stopped in a traffic jam were I got a minor bumper to bumper rearended because the guy behind didn't brake correctly. Thats all. On the contrary you say you have had accidents, and you support turning PSM off for street driving?... another contradiction, I suggest you leave it ON.

That aside, I sorry about your shoulder & elbow, and hope you get well soon

Interesting. I've totalled a car and had several bike crashes a few years ago-I'm a bit calmer these days-and I have lots of titanium in my arm, dodgy joints in my legs and shoulder. I have also lost the feeling in parts of that arm and the top of my hand. So I know how it feels when my ability falls short of my enthusiasm.

I use PSM and I am grateful for it, especially in the winter because even though I'm experienced I can still get caught out. If I could get the equivalent of PSM on my Ducati I would have it for road use because I still can be caught out.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder and elbow-I know how it feels. It took me nearly a year to get it all to more or less work again.

I expect that if I'd had PSM when I totalled the car I may well have avoided such a big accident and a year of pain.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have the feeling that if I lose my 911 (or my bike) in a big way when having fun (lets face it we're often well into 3 figure miles per hour on corners sometimes) I will have to do some serious praying as well as using all my experience. And thank Porsche for its research and development of an electronic safety net which helps me when I run out of talent.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    F1reblade said:

By definition, ESP systems like PSM do come in after the event, because they are not equipped with a crystal ball. They react to signals from various sensors not "matching up", suggesting that the car has become unstable.
    Exactly my point PSM is so bad that it causes the problem my arthritic mother could react too faster, hence PSM is dangerous to a good driver in a 911.

You imply in your posts that you have had a nasty moment, which you apparently blame on the PSM system, but as far as I can see you have not described the circumstances. PSM will not prevent a car from becoming initially unstable, it can only intervene after it detects instability to try to correct the situation by applying the appropriate inputs. A well-tuned ESP system, such as PSM is, can be better relied on to apply the right corrective inputs than any driver can: For instance, there are no drivers out there capable of braking individual wheels as PSM does. see above

Nevertheless, PSM is not totally foolproof, because some situations can be so bad that neither the best driver nor PSM could prevent a spin. But that situation will have been initially allowed to come about by the driver, and not by the PSM. It can only react, remember?

In spite of the above defense of ESP systems, I am not unreservedly a fan. I think there is a risk of drivers deluding themselves into thinking that they are immortal because ESP will save them if they switch off their own brains. Those drivers are - like ESP - also not equipped with crystal balls, but they are better equipped than ESP to predict the outcome of "overenthusiastic" driving. Having more balls (non-crystal variety) than brains was never a good recipe for survival.

I can assure you that to imply I am stupid will not win any illconcieved techy argument, you try to put forward. I will not and do not need to reiterate my situation to you or anyone else except maybe the courts over PSM and for your info there was no accident, nor was it in any way dangerous , untill PSM came in at which point I had to save the car! and no the PSM light has never lit in my car and no it is not faulty according to Porsche and their tech's.
    I have even recreated the exact situation with a Porsche tech sitting beside me, I was describing the entire procedure at the same time and he said OMG thats a joke. I said "surly this is a fault" and he said no thats normal PSM he said " turn off PSM when you drive your reaction is so much faster than PSM"

So an apology would be the proper thing to do If your man enough

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Interesting. I've totalled a car and had several bike crashes a few years ago-I'm a bit calmer these days-and I have lots of titanium in my arm, dodgy joints in my legs and shoulder. I have also lost the feeling in parts of that arm and the top of my hand. So I know how it feels when my ability falls short of my enthusiasm.

I use PSM and I am grateful for it, especially in the winter because even though I'm experienced I can still get caught out. If I could get the equivalent of PSM on my Ducati I would have it for road use because I still can be caught out.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder and elbow-I know how it feels. It took me nearly a year to get it all to more or less work again.

I expect that if I'd had PSM when I totalled the car I may well have avoided such a big accident and a year of pain.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have the feeling that if I lose my 911 (or my bike) in a big way when having fun (lets face it we're often well into 3 figure miles per hour on corners sometimes) I will have to do some serious praying as well as using all my experience. And thank Porsche for its research and development of an electronic safety net which helps me when I run out of talent.

My accident was on a bike 1000 bhp per ton with a hair trigger throttle in 0c temps, cold tyre, very greasy road and at less than 25 mph. I still dont want traction control and yes I will still ride my bikes.

I have sympathy having done the same thing and can tell you that a 999s in the same conditions is at least as difficult and it has threatened to dump me several times. As a matter of interest what tyres were you on?

Your reactions are quicker than PSM ........sorry give me a second whilst i pick myself up from the floor...this argument has become farcical...psm is there for a reason and to think you are a superior enough being not to need it will eventually cause yours or someone elses demise.......i hope i am nowhere near you when this happens.....

Quote:
    F1reblade said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    F1reblade said:

Exactly my point PSM is so bad that it causes the problem my arthritic mother could react too faster, hence PSM is dangerous to a good driver in a 911.

You imply in your posts that you have had a nasty moment, which you apparently blame on the PSM system, but as far as I can see you have not described the circumstances. PSM will not prevent a car from becoming initially unstable, it can only intervene after it detects instability to try to correct the situation by applying the appropriate inputs. A well-tuned ESP system, such as PSM is, can be better relied on to apply the right corrective inputs than any driver can: For instance, there are no drivers out there capable of braking individual wheels as PSM does. see above

I can assure you that to imply I am stupid will not win any illconcieved techy argument, you try to put forward. I will not and do not need to reiterate my situation to you or anyone else except maybe the courts over PSM and for your info there was no accident, nor was it in any way dangerous , untill PSM came in at which point I had to save the car! and no the PSM light has never lit in my car and no it is not faulty according to Porsche and their tech's.
    I have even recreated the exact situation with a Porsche tech sitting beside me, I was describing the entire procedure at the same time and he said OMG thats a joke. I said "surly this is a fault" and he said no thats normal PSM he said " turn off PSM when you drive your reaction is so much faster than PSM"

So an apology would be the proper thing to do If your man enough

I do have the feeling that I'm probably wasting my time, but just in case you may have misread the "tone" of my first post - prompting you to respond in what you thought was the "appropriate" manner, I'd like to respond to the above.

- I did not suggest in my post that you were stupid. I had not read anything into your first post to make me think that you are stupid. On re-reading my post I don't recognize any implication on my part that you are stupid.

- You implied in 2 posts that you had experienced a "situation" with PSM. While admitting that that aroused my curiosity, I agree that you are under no obligation to elaborate further here. But you were the one who brought the matter up in the first place, not me.

- If I felt I had wronged you in any way, then I can assure you that I would certainly be man enough to apologize to you. Since I know I have not, there will not be an apology made on my part.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778510 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442128 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263002 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5753 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880965 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816808 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM