Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Door dented 4 days after delivery, what to do?

I picked up my Porsche 4 days ago brand new on delivery. It was a joy running it in but today, I found that my driver side door was dented. It looked like the car parked next to me opened the door (purposely... maybe) too hard and dented it. I felt sleepless but I know a dent in the door really can't be fixed... any input? Or am I being overly sensitive as one friend of mine said to me... "it's all wear and tear" and it becomes nothing in another 3 months. Also, some paint came off so I wonder if I shud buy some paint and touch it up... but it looks terribly ugly that way... it's a small dent but obviously from another door... this is impossible to avoid in crowded carparks.

Re: Door dented 4 days after delivery, what to do?

Sorry to hear about the dent on your brand new car. As the saying goes, the first dent is always the hardest to handle. Assuming the metal isn't too stretched, a paintless dent removal guy might be able to fix it pretty inexpensively. You would still need to touch up where the paint has been removed.

Alternativey, bite the bullet and have a reputable body shop fix it. I migh cost up to $500 but you will regain peace of mind, which is priceless.

Good luck either way.

Sorry to hear about the ding. I always park far away from others but sometime you have no choice. If the paint is not scratched for less than $100 you can have the dent removed. There are mobil services that do paintless dent removal in less than 30 minutes. They will come to your house.

REALLY SORRY to hear that ptcja !!
    I hope they can repair it without leaving any traces !!
    Your friend MUST be mad : "...it's all wear and tear..."

I dented the door driving mine home from Stuttgart (my excuse - a fiendishly camoflaged bollard in Reims) - the car was just 6 hours old.

Anyway, I know its expensive but I suggest you bite the bullet and get it fixed by a Porsche approved bodyshop. Then you will have peace of mind against any problems in the future. Its a fairly easy fix even if they have to replace the door skin (which might not be necessary in your case).

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Sorry to hear about the ding. I always park far away from others but sometime you have no choice.

Same here... I always look for parking spaces where no one stands to close next to the doors of my car. That's also the #1 reason why I am always late at meetings.

No matter how far and isolated you park,there will allways be an a**hole that will park half a meter from you...just for the (his) fun of it!

Sorry to hear that! It's common here too that careless peolple accidentally or deliberately bang their doors against a nice car!! It's gonna happen sooner or later, and be careful when you get a mobil dent repair service as once I had a dent in my Merc fixed and the colour did not match properly, they match the colour on-site. If it was me, i would go to a repair shop and pay extra$$ to have it fixed or else every morning when I go to work and see the dent it would not be a good start to my day!

Thanks for sharing. It looks like there are many Porsche enthusiasts out there sharing my pain. So I know I don't suffer from OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder because sometimes, girlfriend or mother thinks I m just a nutcase when it comes to my car. I remember the last time I took delivery on my Merc SLK, I let my girfriend drove it and she scratched the left rim 1 hour after delivery. Then my father wanted to drive it and he scratched the right one going up a curb and I had had enough though they paid for the fix. That is also a reason why I know I am being selfish for trying not to let any family members drive my car. They think I am a real jerk maybe. Anyway, yes a peace of mind is priceless so maybe a dent doctor is the way to go but as russell said, the first dent would always be the hardest to handle. Do you guys think I should wait for a few more dings to happen before I fix it? What I truly know is that there are some jerks out there that would park just right to you to APPRECIATE your car by opening their yugos' doors onto your body just to have a laugh. They just love that and it maybe out of jealousy but they just do it. Also, I have had experience with valet guys scratching cars without saying a word. It's tough... it's like you go to a nice restaurant with your gf and the valet guy kindly takes your car and when you leave, it does look a bit weird to go around the car touching the bottoms or hoods to check so everytime you go home, you end up saying "WHAT THE..." because then you see the bumper being scratched. Any valet tips to make checking less obvious and more stylish?

With my daily driver the WRX, it's had it's fair share of scratches, some even deliberate though not nearly as bad as some of our fellow P-cars owners had had recently(vandalised). I've touched up with a brush and waxed it, and yeah, it doesn't hurt as much after the first one. It's sickening to hear that valet guys also perform this criminal act! Has it something to do with tipping? or not tipping? or just pure jealousy/envy?!?

Get it fixed, nothing uglier than a dented Porker. Happened to me on my 996 - waited 6 months to get and in less than 72 hours it was in the repair shop for 2 weeks!!!! Cost USD 1,000 or so. Felt a lot better after I had it repaired, impossible to see the fix and I learn my lesson about how and where to park my car!

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Any valet tips to make checking less obvious and more stylish?

Yes. Don't valet your car Just park it somewhere yourself if possible; I've heard too many valet horror stories so I'll park my pride and joy myself thank you very much.

I feel your pain regarding the dent. My wife thinks I'm proabably the most OCD person when it comes to my car. If I can't find a "good" parking spot I will just refuse to park the car and would rather walk a few extra minutes than park it in a suspect spot. Dents and dings may happen but I will do my best to reduce the chances.
    I'd pay a little extra and have it done by a Porsche dealership - at least get a quote and if it's not too much go with it - it' only a few days old too boot

Louis totally agree... my gf whenever she's out with me is like "why don't you park there?"... well cos it's close to a 20 year old corolla... she feels that I discriminate but I do. People who buy Porsche have high expectations and they know how to enjoy finer things in life and a car is not a mere vehicle getting from point A to point B as I explained to her. If it were like that, I could have taken the metro and it'd be a lot faster and easier. So it's a catch 22 situation as she has aptly described. You buy a nice car to enjoy yet you worry the heck everyday over small scratched and whether the car next to you would scratch your door or the valet guy would scratch the rims... alas, that's life. Well, maybe it is just the fact that I am a poor Porsche owner cos the car relative to my wealth is a big portion and that's why I cherish it. When I could own any car or a few handful of Porsches one day, I tell her maybe I won't care but it is very unlikely as I will always cherish my property carefully. My silly girlfriend was cute enough to offer to buy some model silver paint to touch it up for me but I said thanks but no thanks as nothing looked worst than unmatched paint!

As much as it sucks to pay for some moron's action... I'd have it fixed. Good luck!

What a pane in the ar$e. Someone put my door right in the other month on one of my cars and it sucked. No note or anything. Luckily the DentMaster guy sorted it out.

It seems that it will happen to most of us at some point but it is gut wrenching when it happens.

Just have it fixed, put it down to experience and if you ever find out who did it buy a big hammer and return the favour!

Well, in HK, taking taxi is cheaper than afford a Corolla. And could never able to avoid a tight parking lot if you drive hte car to the city....never. YOu can't walk few more minutes to avoid it. I don't know, I think i would never own a Porsche in HK, only if I can also afford a Bently with driver to pick me up and drive my Porsche back home....if I have to stop by inside the city.

CS, I agree... it's funny the other day my father was just telling me that his friend owns the new F430 Spyder and everyday he goes to work in his Phantom and at 5 pm, he would ask his driver to drive him his F430 from home and he would take the car out for a round around Central... then he would either drive home or have him drive it back... now take that! So the Driver actually gets more behind the wheel time compared to the owner. Well, it is true... as my father said, it would happen to me sooner or later only a matter of time. I went to the shop and it said it wasn't worth to take the door out and spray paint it for the chip (tiny) so just bite the bullet I guess.

how much did they quote you? It doesn't matter they tell you it's worth it or not, the problem is, it is a brand new car.

my side vent + area between dooor and back side vent + top of vend(above the rim) got scratched, hit and run, in a parking lot..
    looks pretty bad to me ~.~
    how much would it cost to repair?

Depending on the type of dent - and if its scratched - paintless dent repair by a reputable guy will work perfectly. The trick is finding someone good in your area.

i see... thankyou!

it's a small dent at the area between door and back wheels
    and a scratch on the area above the back wheel.

do you or anyone know about how much it will cost?

Nachi - who is the girl drinking from the straw?

don't bother Porky, i asked the same question, never got any reply....

hmmmm and BTW, get in line!

Paintless dent repair, very popular on expensive cars over here in Germany and in other countries like the US.
    You won't believe what these guys can do, you won't see a thing afterwards. This only works if the dent didn't split the paint and it may not work in certain areas where the body has weird shapes. Door? Shouldn't be any problem.
    I'm sure there is a good "dent doctor" in your area in HK too, just ask around.

That's me...

sorry long, i didn't see your message.

well, below's the wound...
    finally got my friend to take some pictures and upload it for me

can someone tell me approx. how much it would cost to get it repaired? i can feel the wound bleeding when i drive it
    really wanna get it fixed asap.

thinking of lowering the car too, for looks. Is H&R Sport Spring good enough? and i want 19" rims to close the gap. What's a nice and cheap 19" wheel that will fit? i was thinking about techart / champion, but they're a little to expensive.

My friend keeps recommanding Black rims with a polish lip. He said it will look nice on my car, but I think it's too much contrast on a clean white car...

sorry for asking too many questions

Sorry, not meaning to offend you but...are you sure somebody "else" did this? Why I ask? My wife actually tried to enter a parking lot many years ago and didn't judge the width of the entrance too well, hitting an obstacle on the right of her. It looked absolutely the same.
    Of course it is possible that due to the white color and the size of the pictures, the damage can't be seen too well. Not sure if a dent doctor could help you. Repairing this damage, incl. paint isn't cheap but like I said, it is difficult to tell by pictures.
    I'm afraid this doesn't look like a couple of hundreds of bucks damage, especially if done right.
    If a "dent doctor" can't help, take your car to the local Porsche dealer and have HIM fix it. It may be important for the longtime warranty (rust, etc.).

to be honest now:

ok, i did it. i was tryin' to dodge someone in a parking lot and ram into a post
    he left quickly when i got outta the car. couldn't see his license plate either ~.~

pushhh
    would someone be able to quote me price for this repair?

Since the damage occurs across the press line of the wheelarch edge you'll need a pukka bodyshop - they may even just replace the rear wing, which could be costly since it integrates into the sill area.

have anyone heard of maaco?
    i got a quote from them, it costs $750CAD + 15% Tax, but they asked me to buy the protective sticker from my dealership. Then i asked CarStar, $1000CAD + 15% Tax, they say they can make it look perfect and they will order and install the protective sticker.

they only need to repair the side part, as the rear bumper seems alrite.

does anyone know if i get it repaired from porsche (dealership), they'll keep a record of it and resale value of my car might drop?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777428 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441772 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261005 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880686 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816061 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM