Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

noone1:

Why would I care whether anyone here likes the car or not? Some people on here spend 6-7 figures on cars that I think are ugly.

If people are interested in aspects of the McLaren and the car, they can read about them in this thread. If they're not, so be. That's why the thread says "McLaren on a winning streak" and not "Boyko23's dating profile". If it's not applicable to you, move along.

In that case why do you keep up with you very negative comments in the Porsche and Lamborghini threads. That's why they are called the way they are and not "Cars that noone1 hates".

Since when do I hate those? Gt3 looks like a cayman now and the Huracan looks as expected drive it was already revealed and tested like a month ago. I simply believe the tires on the performante and much more important than the aero. New pzeros have more grip than old Trofeos, thus the P running on new compound Trofeos should tell you how big of a deal they are.

I'll gladly take either if you give me one, but since I have no use for more than one car, my money will go elsewhere. I'm not into facelifts and track day specs.

I think the front appearance does make most of people think negative of the car.  However, u must seen it in person.    I saw those spy photos and feel the car is really ugly and front looks like a bee....   but when I saw it in real life last month.  its breath taking.  but again, I love McLaren.    the tech. development behind this car is outrages!!  for the money you pay, its actually very reasonable.  

new carbon cage, new engine, new sound, new interior, new tire, new break system, and inside is very large to be in it.   

the look will grow on people, since this is their new design language.....  in the past, many complained the design is boring....  using same carbon cage consider cheating, and same engine cheating....  the fact is that there will always be those complains and never will buy one, so doesn't matter....  we will hope this new car will give a lot more than people expected.   I had order placed and hopfully will get mine end Sept. 

I removed my headlamps on the GT3 for some reason.

It was amazing how bad the car looked. Without the "eyes" the car looked...dead.

The 720s does not look dead but it's gonna take a while to get used to the face.

I would say only that much that I would take this over a 488 for sure. The lambo is appealing because it's NA engine - and the GT3 is the bargain of the century with it's racetech engine. wink

All people which have seen the car in flash are more then excited about the car. I have to say that the front looks  strange but the overall appearance and the technique makes it the best car under 400k for me. I wouldn't think a second and take it over 488 or any Lamborghini.

--

AM

What I do like about the design that is all about form-follows-function. The idea to integrate head lights and air induct seem to make sense from a technical perspective at least. Also how they integrated the side inducts looks nice. The rear is the best part of the car for me.

ALDO:

All people which have seen the car in flash are more then excited about the car. I have to say that the front looks  strange but the overall appearance and the technique makes it the best car under 400k for me. I wouldn't think a second and take it over 488 or any Lamborghini.

Because, like me in the past, you are blinded by performance numbers and a certain vibe McLaren cars seem to offer.

You'll get there eventually...give it time. Smiley Smiley

Your 650S is really looking great, the 720S looks hideous. I usually don't care about designs, I care about the drive feel in combination with a certain performance but the 720S really looks bad.

Right now, I would take a 488 or Huracan Performante in a heartbeat without even thinking over the 720S but luckily, the 720S won't stay alone, many other models/variants will come from McLaren and I am pretty sure that there will be one which also pleases the eye among them. Smiley

Btw: I like the 720S interior a lot, minus that odd looking steering wheel and I love McLaren's love for details.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    ALDO:

Because, like me in the past, you are blinded by performance numbers and a certain vibe McLaren cars seem to offer.

You'll get there eventually...give it time. Smiley Smiley

Your 650S is really looking great, the 720S looks hideous. I usually don't care about designs, I care about the drive feel in combination with a certain performance but the 720S really looks bad.

Right now, I would take a 488 or Huracan Performante in a heartbeat without even thinking over the 720S but luckily, the 720S won't stay alone, many other models/variants will come from McLaren and I am pretty sure that there will be one which also pleases the eye among them. Smiley

Btw: I like the 720S interior a lot, minus that odd looking steering wheel and I love McLaren's love for details.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Before buying mine 650 s I had three meetings with sales guy from Ferrari about a 488. Two times with me my complete family. After each visit, either me or in case with the family, we came to the conclusion that a 488 is not the car for me. My family is strong related to sports cars as a consumer and from the other side (Smiley). We have visited also my friend who works for Bentley and Lamborghini (Gohm) and we did not spend more then 5 minutes looking at a Huracan. Huracan is the last car I would buy. In any case I would take R8 before Huracan. 

So it is not the performance only. Yes, I am a guy who is in love with all the gimmicks. We have talked about this on this forum for hundred times, all cars are great and I mean really great. No matter Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Lamborghini, ... all are great cars. At the end you have to feel it and to be happy with it. This can be with a Mini cooper S or with a Bentley GTC. In my case it is 650 s, Gt3 RS, Panamera and maybe 720 s or sometimes a MB S 63 AMG cabrio or Bentley GTC who knows Smiley

--

AM

Gimmicks?  

For me, the Huracan is the most beautiful sports car on the market. The 488 comes next, especially as a Spider.

I also love the Aventador SV but it is a tad too big for my taste but probably would get one if I could afford it and if Lamborghini would choose to install the Huracan-type gearbox.

McLaren makes great sportscars but only the 675LT would attract me because it offers a very nice combo of performance, design and acceptable engine/exhaust sound.

Nothing beats a n/a engine though, one reason I would probably even take a Ferrari 812 Superfast, even if I'm not a total fan of it's new look. Also totally in love with the 458 Speciale, I am curious on what Ferrari will do with the 488 Speciale.

To each his own I guess, it would be boring if we all like the same stuff. blush

No more Panamera for me, I'm cured. Also definitely no S class or Bentley for me. Maybe when I live in Miami and I am 80. indecision angry In pink. 

--

Just had a look at Geneva and the 720S gets a big kiss from me. Headlights are bold for sure, but it's all functional and people will get used to it. It'll also be much less of a feature on dark coloured cars.

Lots of cool details. Great stuff!

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

What a bunch of very strong opinions for people who have mostly not seen the car in real life... Sorry but when someone says "I won't buy the car because of a couple of pics I saw on the internet" is simply ridiculous. The car is groundbreaking design accompanied with a step up in performance especially in convertible. The only convertible car that Porsche has to compete with this is the 918 which costs 10 times the price.

Any serious car collector around here would probably buy a 720S. Personally if I had the interest to own such cars I would have a TdF, a Hurracan spider and a 720S convertible. The only Porsche of interest short of the 918 is a Singer.

SciFrog:

What a bunch of very strong opinions for people who have mostly not seen the car in real life... Sorry but when someone says "I won't buy the car because of a couple of pics I saw on the internet" is simply ridiculous. The car is groundbreaking design accompanied with a step up in performance especially in convertible. The only convertible car that Porsche has to compete with this is the 918 which costs 10 times the price.

True but I cannot imagine it looks better (front) live. It remains to be seen though, indeed.

Any serious car collector around here would probably buy a 720S. Personally if I had the interest to own such cars I would have a TdF, a Hurracan spider and a 720S convertible. The only Porsche of interest short of the 918 is a Singer.

Huracan Spider, Huracan Performante and 812 Superfast for me please. Smiley You'll hate the TdF...it is barely drivable fast. Smiley

--

RC:

Also totally in love with the 458 Speciale,

+1 

SciFrog:

Yup, funny how the people who dislike it most haven't even seen the car, yet the people who have seen it in the flesh actually seem to like it. Such is actually the case with most McLaren. I think they usually look pretty mediocre or bad in pictures. The presence in the flesh is massive though and really positive.

I'm selling my 12C and when I went out to take pictures, I got home and thought, "Man, the car just doesn't look good in these pictures." I walk outside and the car look great. I take a picture and it just looks meh.

Some designs just don't photograph well and require normal eyes, perspective, and surroundings to really shine.

A car is more that a simple design that is badly captured in pics. It is an emotion, an experience as should all luxury things be.

Long ago part of the Porsche experience was that the 911 (and Boxster) were fairly affordable ways to acquire a real sports car and drive something out of the ordinary. That whole side of Porsche is gone with the price creep and hasn't really been replaced by anything. The cars are better but there are many out there and aren't that special. At the same time Porsche has diluted his brand with SUVs and such even if they are really good ones. They have increased massively the production of GTx cars but these are very focused and lack the immense appeal of the rear seats and open top (except maybe for the Spyder) and their price is still creeping up anyway. The GT3 is still a good deal though for the performance.

McLaren fits in this definition of luxury and they should be applauded for pushing the design and technical enveloppe and keeping updating even the older cars, something Porsche has denied its customers forever.

A comment from a GT3 owner - no need to comment further

IMG_0390.JPG

--

AM

Might be a long wait for the Spider, if that's what he's talking about. The 570S doesn't even have a Spider yet and it debuted almost 2 years ago...

Spider would be radically different as it would have to have a CF tub without the CF roof structure of the 720S

Air Brake

I saw the car today. The front openings are a bit strange . Probably too big , but maybe they could not do it differently. Maybe they just needed a different shape . But generally, the car is cool . It is a new design, very interesting as not following the normal path and looking for new ways . It will probably grow on people . It definitely looks better in real life then on those photos . And probably will look better with darker colors, or at least, not that orange . There was also a white one, looked ok . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Topspeed:

Air Brake

Cool. Never knew there was a vent under the corner of the wing.

ALDO:

A comment from a GT3 owner - no need to comment further

IMG_0390.JPG

Well...he said best car, whatever this means. Not most attractive. Smiley

--

Adnan,

Are you tempted to make a change?  

Btw, my brother was in Geneva and he thinks car looks good. Pretty futuristic, in his opinion. He called it Star Trek like...

Just stunning. You almost see a little Pininfarina in there... So many good cars to choose from these days kiss

Oofff! That makes a big difference! Looking good in white!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Capturar.PNG

noone1:

Might be a long wait for the Spider, if that's what he's talking about. The 570S doesn't even have a Spider yet and it debuted almost 2 years ago...

Spider will be available spring 2019 approx., from what I heard.

either late 2019 or 2020 - as I have heard more likely 2020 with introduction in late 2019

--

AM

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688410 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408648 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255492 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234739 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773269 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM