Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which Radar Detector is the best???

Carlos,
    do you know if the Laser Pro Park will be available in the US?
    Thanks

I believe they have it in their plans, but there is no set date yet.
    However I believe that you can bypass that by purcahsing directly from england, as the english distributor ships worldwide.

Oh guys, life seems to be simple in other parts of the worlds.
    Over here in Germany, the biggest threats are: light sensors (how do you avoid those? ), video tracking (civil police car drives after you and shoots a nice hollywood movie about your driving style ) and a new video tracker which is mounted on the side rear mirror of a parked car (you see it VERY late, almost impossible to detect, even with super sharp eyes as mine...175% vision sharpness), points to a certain "focus" point for distance measurement and just takes the video of all the traffic driving by, calculating the precise speed of each car incl. videotaping the license plate. It seems this unit still has prototype status because I tried to look at it and the police man and another guy (company engineer?) were pretty mad at me.

Especially the video cars are a pain in the a.. over here.
    One caught me once in the city, I was only driving too fast to...funny...escape him because I thought this guy is nuts because he tried to get in front of me earlier at a stop light and he was on the wrong lane. He stopped me with his blue light in his front window, talked pretty bad to me...like I did kill somebody. Later on, the "bill" came, ridiculous 75 Euro because this guy was so stupid, he thought I was doing 70 in a 30 kph zone but the speed limit was 50. I didn't want to accept the punishment and went to court. The judge first thought that I'm crazy to go to court for this "ridiculous" thing (as he said) but I explained it to him. Lucky me, he believed me and although I still had to pay the 75 Euro, the judge removed the one point from my license (the only one I ever got!) because he agreed that it was unfair, especially because it was my first one. Anyway: don't get me wrong, I love a fast drive too. But it seems that by looking around when driving, judging the "conditions" correctly (and wisely) bewares one from getting caught. I usually "smell" the speed traps but of course it has to do with my sharp vision too. I just hope that my eyesight won't deteriorate with my age, unfortunately my doctor told me that I'm more into the 150% vision sharpness now than the 175% I had a few years ago.

So I guess I have to resign from the sharpshooter business.

Have you guys seen those plate covers that blur the numbers when someone takes a picture of your license plate? I've seen them in the magazines but have never tried them.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Have you guys seen those plate covers that blur the numbers when someone takes a picture of your license plate? I've seen them in the magazines but have never tried them.

Over here in Germany, they charge you for counterfeit of official documents (license plates) if you use them. Expensive punishment incl. "dancing" with a judge. Don't know about other countries though.

Wow, better stay away!!!

dont need radars in beirut.... cool hein?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Oh guys, life seems to be simple in other parts of the worlds.
    Over here in Germany, the biggest threats are: light sensors (how do you avoid those? ), video tracking (civil police car drives after you and shoots a nice hollywood movie about your driving style ) and a new video tracker which is mounted on the side rear mirror of a parked car (you see it VERY late, almost impossible to detect, even with super sharp eyes as mine...175% vision sharpness), points to a certain "focus" point for distance measurement and just takes the video of all the traffic driving by, calculating the precise speed of each car incl. videotaping the license plate. It seems this unit still has prototype status because I tried to look at it and the police man and another guy (company engineer?) were pretty mad at me.

I know of the video tracking system inside the car, its called Traffivision from Traffipax. I overtook a camo car with this intalled at over 200km/h! luckily I reached the country border before they stopped me

With a good pair of eyes, a radar detector for radars, a GPS warning system for non-radar fixed traps, and a laser lammer for laser guns you can be reasonably covered, but still never 100%. And then there is the issue of ilegality in some countries and ways of not getting caught using them... its a complicated subject.

We get the point license scheme for July onwards in Spain

We have here, Multanova 6f Ka band radars, GASTO 2K band radars, Traffivision camo cars, Autovelox non-lidar laser, photo-lidar lasers, induction loop based Traffipax, induction loop based RedSpeed, dig number plate recognition based SPECS, and 35.5GHz RAI-2002 radars... not bad eh?

Wow you have to be James Bond to speed over their

Id probably crash from pure paranoia: constantly looking in the rear view mirror and checking the road ahead as opposed to watching the guy in front of me. Its just another way for those stingy government bastardos to get more money. You'd thing taxing the general population over 40% would cover things but with th efools in government that fly gov. jets all over the place for no proper reason you wonder otherwise. In Switzerland they begin to charge fines according to income. Then you are really f---cke-d.

I guess it's time for a revolution!

Its not too bad actually, if you take measures. With a radar detector, GPS system and laser jammer, you can protect yourself from all of those I mentioned except the Traffivision video tracking and the Autovelox. And these are not the most dangerous if you know how they work and are only a minority, so in really if you take precautions you can drive as you like and enjoy the wonderful mountain roads & highways we have here.

Other countries in Europe are much worse like Switserland, Holland, England, etc. since the prcentage of speedtraps are much higher and laws much more strict.

Carlos - I bow to you !

I have the K40 installed but since you trashed it, I bought a V1 as well and have been able to compare. There's no comparison in terms of sensitivity - the V1 wins hands down.

question for you - where do you seat your V1. Right now I have it behind the rear view mirror, but it's awkward to reach to. I use the remote display on the center console cigar lighter, but I have to turn my head almost back to read it. Do you bother with the remote ? If not, I presume you must have the V1 somewhere other than behind the mirror, otherwise you can't read it...
    If you have it just on the dash, is coverage as good as higher up on windshield ?

Carlos I know you come very often to Porto. Be careful, right now Portuguese Police has new camo cars, not only the BMW 330D, but also Audi A4 1.8T, new Subarus Turbo, Nissan Primera and Toyota Avensis 5 doors. The cars mentions have the video tape system installed.

Then they have Silver Ford Mondeo Station Wagon, Toyota Yaris, and some more camo cars using the Multanova Radar, but it's rare to see them on highways.

J.Seven

Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Carlos - I bow to you !

I have the K40 installed but since you trashed it, I bought a V1 as well and have been able to compare. There's no comparison in terms of sensitivity - the V1 wins hands down.

question for you - where do you seat your V1. Right now I have it behind the rear view mirror, but it's awkward to reach to. I use the remote display on the center console cigar lighter, but I have to turn my head almost back to read it. Do you bother with the remote ? If not, I presume you must have the V1 somewhere other than behind the mirror, otherwise you can't read it...
    If you have it just on the dash, is coverage as good as higher up on windshield ?

That is great to hear, the change from the K40 to the V1 is really worth it!

I don't have a V1 in my car, I'm currently using the Stinger DSI (european radar detector with GPS). For detecting radar, the best mounting position for your V1 is as higher up as posible, i.e. around you rearview mirror area. For detecting laser, it would be the other way around but there is some controversy around this, so overall the best plase is nest to your rearview mirror, this will give you the best sensitivety. Do not place it low on the dash as the metal windshield wipers could block the radar signals.

I think the best option is to hard wire the remote display and place it in a discrete place on top of the dash such as next to the A pillar to the left of the steering wheel for example. And the actual V1 next to the rearview mirror.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Carlos I know you come very often to Porto. Be careful, right now Portuguese Police has new camo cars, not only the BMW 330D, but also Audi A4 1.8T, new Subarus Turbo, Nissan Primera and Toyota Avensis 5 doors. The cars mentions have the video tape system installed.

Then they have Silver Ford Mondeo Station Wagon, Toyota Yaris, and some more camo cars using the Multanova Radar, but it's rare to see them on highways.

J.Seven

So true, that blue Toyota Avensis is the one I overtook at over 200km/h!

Carlos - The Laser Pro Park looks excellent. Might just have to invest in one of those myself.

Just a quick question, do you know if there is a system update or some method of uploading camera positions to the Standard Sat Nav module?

Hi ResB,

You can't do it to the POrsche OEM Sat Nav, at least not yet, but in the future it will happen as this is the trend for the future. The way things are shaping, the companies that provide the maps for the Sat Navs of the cars will like provide in the future the radar locations for those Sat Navs.

Currently you can only upload radar locations to portable Sat Navs such as Tom Tom, Garmin, Pioneer, etc.

I have heard that certain in car OEM Sat Navs can be tweeked to do this, but haven't looked into it.

The best way to go it to get GPS warning system, especially in UK since you have more speed cameras than any other european country, and they are of the fixed type. So you don't even need a detector there if you purchase one with a good database. The Micro RoadPilot that john999s has, and mentioned earlier in the thread, is the smallest GPS warning system in the world, so its very discrete and can even be hard wired to the car, and its a high quality unit, and has one of the best databases.

Then all you need left is a laser jammer for the laser vans and you are set

Thanks Carlos, much appreciated.

I was speaking to a guy called Gary Power of a company called Driver Systems yesterday, after the OPC I'm getting my motor from unofficially recommended them.

They recommended the Origin B2 and the Lidatek LE30 with a defuser front and rear! Pounds875.00 fitted and Pounds397.45 fitted for the B2. Seems high to me.

Carlos, he also intimated that the "Laser Pro Park" was causing them some problems whilst testing. Whilst I never went into the problems in any detail, I got the impression they like Lidatek.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Thanks Carlos, much appreciated.

I was speaking to a guy called Gary Power of a company called Driver Systems yesterday, after the OPC I'm getting my motor from unofficially recommended them.

They recommended the Origin B2 and the Lidatek LE30 with a defuser front and rear! Pounds875.00 fitted and Pounds397.45 fitted for the B2. Seems high to me.

Carlos, he also intimated that the "Laser Pro Park" was causing them some problems whilst testing. Whilst I never went into the problems in any detail, I got the impression they like Lidatek.

Lidatek is a good unit but their coming out with a new jammer sometime in the short future, since the Lidatek jammer has been outgunned, especially by the Laser Pro Park in testing. Also Blinder will be coming out as well with a new version.
    I bet they haven't mentioned these things to you. Installers are the last people to get advice from. They have the most biased opinion of all, as they usually push the product that gives them the best deal and profit. And will bad mouth the other products to steer you away from them.

The latest GoL and SML testing revealed that one Lidatek transponder may no be enough, especially is targeted at shorter ranges as is the case in UK. They fopund significant punch through with only one head. You need 2 heads for each end of the car to safely protect the car, and the Lidatek only allow a total of three heads. Also it gets very pricey then.

Question for Carlos,

I've had the Cyclops GPS system for the past 4 years and found it to be first class. But for full laser protection do you think that, if I add the Laser Pro Park, that should do it for me in the UK.

Many thanks for sharing your considerable expertise with us.

The Laser Pro Park looks very interesting. Think I'll upgrade.

The next question is where to mount it. THe LRC100 fitted nicely in the intake next to the plate but I suppose the LPP will be better under the plate. Hmmm?? Rather than chop the blanking plasic in the centre intake I wonder where else to fit it. Perhaps the radiator intake will work and fit one sensor in each intake. Just to be sure I don't hit a wall when parking

And what about the back? I dont' want to chop the rear bumper/fender. And I already have parling sensors. Any ideas chaps?

Hi John H,

The only way to really protect yourself from laser is by way of a laser jammer. For UK, the best jammer in the market right now is the Laser Pro Park IMO. The UK has a wide variety of laser guns that are used compared to other countries, and Laser Pro being from there has taken them into account when designing it. And its performance is also very good.

Another thing is that laser jammers are ilegal in UK, and the Laser Pro Park has the advantage that is sold as a parking sensor, not a jammer.

The only problem with Laser Pro is that they are completely out of stock, the have been getting more orders than what they can manage to produce. They should be catching up with demand this next month.

Quote:
    john999s said:
    The Laser Pro Park looks very interesting. Think I'll upgrade.

The next question is where to mount it. THe LRC100 fitted nicely in the intake next to the plate but I suppose the LPP will be better under the plate. Hmmm?? Rather than chop the blanking plasic in the centre intake I wonder where else to fit it. Perhaps the radiator intake will work and fit one sensor in each intake. Just to be sure I don't hit a wall when parking

And what about the back? I dont' want to chop the rear bumper/fender. And I already have parling sensors. Any ideas chaps?

If you place two transponder heads on each of the side intakes you will have maximum protection and you would not have to cut anything in the car either, and have a discreet install. If you intall only one head, the best place is indeed under the plate, but again there is no need to cut anything, it comes with a support plate that would attach in between the plate and the bumper for example.

Do you get shot in the rear in UK? ask the guts form LPP about it becuase if you don't you will not need rear transponders. however, the LPP is less deep than the LCR-100 so for the rear you could probable fit it without havin'g to cut the rear bumper at all. Right on top of the licence plate, in between the plate lighting lamps. It should fit just about flush with the bumper overhang.

You can ask all these questions to the Laser Pro Park Team and then decide, I have spoken with them and are really nice and helpful guys. They know who I am so you can mention "Carlos from Spain" sent you.

Thanks Carlos.

They are not far from where I live in UK so I'll give them a call when I'm back in the UK and pop over and see them.

I'll mention you - thanks.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hi John H,

The only way to really protect yourself from laser is by way of a laser jammer. For UK, the best jammer in the market right now is the Laser Pro Park IMO. The UK has a wide variety of laser guns that are used compared to other countries, and Laser Pro being from there has taken them into account when designing it. And its performance is also very good.

Another thing is that laser jammers are ilegal in UK, and the Laser Pro Park has the advantage that is sold as a parking sensor, not a jammer.

The only problem with Laser Pro is that they are completely out of stock, the have been getting more orders than what they can manage to produce. They should be catching up with demand this next month.

Thanks Carlos - you're a real Gem.

I'd better get my order in quick!

BTW how do you think Cyclops stacks up against other GPS systems you've mentioned?

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Thanks Carlos - you're a real Gem.

I'd better get my order in quick!

BTW how do you think Cyclops stacks up against other GPS systems you've mentioned?

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

My pleasure John

I have not tested the Cyclops so I cannot say. The most important thing about a GPS warning system is the quality of the database. If you are happy with its database and you have found it to be accurate then thats the most important thing.

The second factor is design and features and in this case I preffer the RoadPilot (the Micro if you wnat to hard wire it, and the MicroGo if you want portable unit that plugs into the cigarrette lighter). They are just so small and discreete, and very well designed. But you also have Road Angel and Origin.

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Thanks Carlos.

They are not far from where I live in UK so I'll give them a call when I'm back in the UK and pop over and see them.

I'll mention you - thanks.

If you are close by, then you may be able to get your LPP jammer setup in your car tested by them since they have/own many laser guns, so you can "see" how it performs Like I said, they are really nice and helpful people.

thank you for your advice carlos, I live in Switzerland where there are traps all over the place and the laws are cruel :-(

This website: http://www.valentine.de/products/valentine_RC/val1Rc.htm

offers a remote version of valentine 1 - do you know the device?

Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    question for you - where do you seat your V1.

Dubliner,

Please note: http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/pdf/mounting_pg17-18.pdf

Along with the safety warning in the above link, in case of an accident remember that suction-cup mounting of the detector high on the windshield or clipping it to the sun visor may injure you or your passenger's temple area possibly resulting in death:

Another vulnerable part of the anatomy protected by the skull is the middle meningeal artery. In modern humans the main branch of the vessel runs beneath the temple, in a region of intersecting bone sutures known as the pterion. The bone here is particularly thin, though the overlying chewing muscle provides some protection. But a good blow to the temple is still likely to break the bone and tear the artery-a dangerous injury because arterial blood can bleed out so rapidly. Damage at the pterion usually results in a large hematoma and rapid loss of consciousness or coma. The little flange on baseball batting helmets, extending down the side of the helmet that faces the pitcher, is specifically designed to protect the batter against this injury from a hard-pitched ball.

For these reasons, I sacrifice a little bit of sensitivity in exchange for a little bit of safety by mounting the V1 lower down on the windshield.

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/master.html?http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/0204/0204_feature.html

Thanks Maverick, will check it out.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441558 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262695 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260838 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85111 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5516 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880552 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815695 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM