Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Instructor Day" at Mid-Ohio in my Carrera GT - Part 7

Grant, look very carefully at the picture-it is 505hp C6 Z06!

Yes that snorkle does not lie

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Grant, look very carefully at the picture-it is 505hp C6 Z06!

You're right - my mistake

Mike,
    That is the best looking taxi I have ever seen. That color looks great on the CGT. BUT we need video with great sound when you take it to the track. All you're mssing are some blue decals for your Co. a la nelson piquets honda lotus.

Re: "Instructor Day" at Mid-Ohio in my Carrera GT - Part 5

No doubt the CGT is a great TRACK car. However, it does require an experienced accomplished driver which you obviously are. I wish I could say the same for all CGT owners. Until then, me and my slow 430 will turn the other way when I see some cowboy driving a CGT. I value my life.

Re: "Instructor Day" at Mid-Ohio in my Carrera GT - Part 6

Wonderful thread Mike, fantastically written chronicle, great action pics... a 10 out of 10! Thanks for sharing with us!!

Quote:
    W8MM said:...A few of them uttered phrases that may, or may not, have been meant to flatter, such as, "Good save!" during some of my teensy-weensy driving errors...

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Mike,
    That is the best looking taxi I have ever seen.

Some, certainly not lacking in temerity, refer to it as a delicate lookin' school bus minus the diesel fume belches.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    me and my slow 430 will turn the other way when I see some cowboy driving a CGT. I value my life.

the f430 isn't THAT slow nick!
    glad to hear someone values your life though!

It must be a real rush to drive your own gt on the race track!

I bet being a passanger in that would be extremely more scary than being strapped inside a roller coaster!

you should take it across to germany and get it off the clock on the autobahns!

i'm glad your enjoying driving it!

P.S i need a car with that amount of no body roll, cars here in the uk lean more than the leaning tower of piza

Great read!

Hopefully in the near future we can see some in-car footage?

Quote:
    911digital said:P.S i need a car with that amount of no body roll, cars here in the uk lean more than the leaning tower of piza

That's not so difficult to do (firmer springs/shocks/swaybars). What year is your car?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    No doubt the CGT is a great TRACK car. However, it does require an experienced accomplished driver which you obviously are. I wish I could say the same for all CGT owners. Until then, me and my slow 430 will turn the other way when I see some cowboy driving a CGT. I value my life.

How about every time you read a cgt thread you and your f430 turn the other way because all you contribute is the same negative bullshit every time

Quote:
    trip said:
    How about every time you read a cgt thread you and your f430 turn the other way because all you contribute is the same negative bullshit every time

Sometimes, in order to see more clearly, negative b.s. is needed to cancel out positive b.s.

trip,

you and nberry are valuable members. I suggest we get back to the topic of this cowboy-driven yellow streak that reels in C6 Z06's with ease.

Re: "Instructor Day" at Mid-Ohio in my Carrera GT - Part 1

Great write up Mike!
    Thanks a lot! The Carrera GT is an amazing car!
    Way more desitable than a Turbo with similar performance.
    For me, it's still in another league!
    Glad you enjoyed yourself, that's what it's all about.

Mike, a fellow instructor left a message saying she heard... and had you invited her to Mid-Ohio, she would have shown you a "racy" moment or two:

This instructor also sounded confident you would understand what she meant and went on to say despite heavy, heavy static interference,
    ...I doubt even those two would leave him as hot...and as breathless as....
    before the phone service dropped the call.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,26569-2123586,00.html

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

Sometimes, in order to see more clearly, negative b.s. is needed to cancel out positive b.s.

sometimes that would be true!
    but not everytime, as is the case with mr berry!

Good article! Thanks.

The Challenge costs do not stop at the price of the car. You pay for the cars being shipped to the various track venues, pay for the technician on hand at the track assigned to you and of course for any parts required.

I was told it costs close to $12,000 per race here in the US. Clearly not for those with a small bank account.

BUT my understanding it is absolutely first rate.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Good article! Thanks.

You're welcome.

This special niche, the Ferrari 360 Challenge, is a series that for more than a decade has stood as the last bastion of gentlemen's racing. It is a throwback to the sport's beginning years, when factory teams seemed to attract the moneyed, successful, well-schooled, and often titled amateur sportsmen with fortunes and guts to burn: Prince Bira, Tony Brooks, Wolfgang Von Trips, Sir Tim Birkin, Dr. Dudley Benjafield, Baron d'Erlanger.
    During that era, the 1920s, '30s, and '40s, when sports actually involved sportsmanship, the rules of motor racing were like an unspoken knight's code. Drive hard but clean. Salute the man who passes you. Console the driver you have passed. To smack into another car was a stain on male honor. Champagne was for toasting, not spraying.

In such a spirit, Ferrari formed the 360 Challenge in 1993 with no openings-at least in the United States-for professional drivers, past or present, or any youthful hot shoe hoping to become one. The Italians have chosen to ignore this requirement, and so they have been crammed into a division of their own, where blocking and shunting is habitual.

http://www.robbreport.com/Articles/Wheels/Race-Cars/The-Last-Gentlemen-Racers.asp

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Here's the yellow shark about to inhale another instructor car:

Ow man, I love that picture... it really looks like a hidden leopard ready to strike on that poor zebra! goosepimples or whatever they are called in english :d
    -Joost-

Edit; PS Mike, thanks a lot of sharing us your wonderful experiences... I enjooyed reading and seeing the pics. Finally an owner who is very positive about his CGT, and not whining about the clutch.

sweet, good write up. I plan to make it up to Mid-Ohio atleast 3 times this summer. I will be going with the official school again on june 1st. Then once in july and august with NASA. I would love to see a CGT in its element this season, any idea which other events you will be at. I know BMWCCA still has a few events there and PCA does too I believe.

ps. I own an STi the 997s is dads

Mike,
    Thanks very much for the ride around Mid O... the CGT is a wonderful machine far better than I had thought it would be around a track....
    The guy that took the pictures that works for KODAK is my buddy Bill Altvader he does take great pics.
    Once again you drove the car well.. Thanks again.for the ride!!!

BTW for those of you who have never met Mike, he is a great stand up kind of guy! The car could not have a nicer owner.

Hope to see ya around soon
    and repay you for the ride.
    -Eric McKenna

Re: "Instructor Day" at Mid-Ohio in my Carrera GT - Part 8

thanks a lot mike, i enjoyed your report as much as you probably enjoyed your awesome car.

Re: "Instructor Day" at Mid-Ohio in my Carrera GT - Part 8

sounds like an awesome time Mike ! Thanks for the pics...

Thanks Mike for the report & pics.

kudos Mike~~!!

Rock on Mike

Gorgeous car!

Mike,

I've done many a track day in my CGT, and I totally agree with your observations. It's so smooth and confidence-inspiring when pushed hard.

Regarding your use of 3rd & 4th gears: I've been to a few sectors like that, and I found I was a little faster by short-shifting up to 4th or 5th. Not only that, but the car is simply a joy to blip down from 5th to 4th, then 3rd! It's the finest manual shifter & clutch I've ever used.

Quote:
    Ray G said:Regarding your use of 3rd & 4th gears: I've been to a few sectors like that, and I found I was a little faster by short-shifting up to 4th or 5th.

Hi Ray,

I thought about trying that, but I didn't have enough track time left to put that into the experimentation mix. I was giving a ton of rides and didn't want to explore any "untested' techniques with passengers aboard.

I'll definitely try your short-shifting tip next time I go!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM