Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Nobody questioned performance of the 720S. It is technical masterpiece. But, design is IMHO not nice at all. A far cry fro "a beauty" as some UK press already called it. 

Just compare it with raw Huracan Performante and if someone really think that 720S is a better design then I will not argue at all.

After seen some Videos I must say i like it. 

I think the 720s is a brave design. Seems to be a divider. Some really love it and some the opposite.

Wonder how this design will influence future cars from other manufacturers.

As a Porsche driver I would probably find it unbearable to live with: Thinking of all the people that want to talk to you every time you park the car.

KresoF1:

German base price with Mwst is 247.350,00€ which is more then ok. Add few options and 720S will end around 260K €. Not bad at all since with similar options Huracan Performance costs the same money. 

Price is really OK, no doubt about it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Kobalt:

I think the 720s is a brave design. Seems to be a divider. Some really love it and some the opposite.

Wonder how this design will influence future cars from other manufacturers.

As a Porsche driver I would probably find it unbearable to live with: Thinking of all the people that want to talk to you every time you park the car.

What bothers me more than that are those people who always honk at a stop light because they want you to rev the engine. Smiley 

Not sure however this is going to happen with a McLaren. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Carlos from Spain:

hmmmm...I'm sure the materials are top notch but looks a bit empty and modular... kind of what you would expect on a TVR type car but not on this Ferrai/Lambo price range... and that steering wheel enlightened

I like the interior but the steering wheel is pathetic. Too playful and not "thick" enough for such a car, what is wrong with their designers? Smiley

--

noone1:

Looks and sounds great in this video. I think it's going to be another car that just looks way better in real life than pictures. It also looks much better with the actual lights on.

https://720s.mclaren.com/gb?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_content=p14_item1_cta&utm_campaign=p14_CRM_reveal_96...

1488946771385Capture.JPG

Can't speak about performance or dynamics which may be good but in terms of looks I'm sorry to burst you fanboy bubble, but I'm afraid no amount of video editing or color make-up is going to make this dud look great, put a Ferrari or Lambo like the Performante next to it and reality will slap you in the face no matter how much you wish it to look good, including the interior too is seems... its like that middle child with the stupid hair style and outfit because he wants to be different and doesn't realice how it really looks Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

kiss McLaren could certainly change the front design without major aerodynamics issues. The front is hideous and even though they are going to sell tons of 720S, they will loose customers because of the front design.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

Looks and sounds great in this video. I think it's going to be another car that just looks way better in real life than pictures. It also looks much better with the actual lights on.

https://720s.mclaren.com/gb?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_content=p14_item1_cta&utm_campaign=p14_CRM_reveal_96...

1488946771385Capture.JPG

Can't speak about performance or dynamics which may be good but in terms of looks I'm sorry to burst you fanboy bubble, but I'm afraid no amount of video editing or color make-up is going to make this dud look great, put a Ferrari or Lambo like the Performante next to it and reality will slap you in the face no matter how much you wish it to look good, including the interior too is seems... its like that middle child with the stupid hair style and outfit because he wants to be different and doesn't realice how it really looks Smiley

--

Coming from the guy who paid 6 figures for a car with the interior from a 2011 Boxster, that's not saying much. And especially coming from the guy who said this about the new GT3:

"I'm not a big fan of wings and aerokits but this car is drop dead gorgeous, they nailed it IMO, best looking GT to date."

Drop dead gorgeous? LOL. Have you not seen that retarded wing on the back? Do you not think you look like an idiot when you drive around down with such high downforce? You gotta get out more. Please don't go through life only buying 911s. That would be a sad sad thing. The best looking GT to date looks worse than a dirty 720S exhaust tip. Until you've owned and driven even an arguably ugly exotic (12C), you really have no idea about the general opinion of these cars. Drive a 720S and you'll get 1000 compliments and photos every day.

It's cool, you don't have to like it, but don't think you're even remotely accurate in terms of the general opinion on it. 

i get also 1000 compliments in my ugly angel 12C :)

McLaren 720S Gets The MSO Treatment, Costs Over $400,000

No more than 24 hours after McLaren added a new chapter to their Super Series story in Geneva, MSO is announcing this bespoke 'Velocity' theme for the 720S.

As always, McLaren Special Operations (MSO) will allow for an almost limitless scope of personalization options, highlighting a new level of exclusivity that 720S buyers can aspire to

kisskissangel

noone1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

--

Coming from the guy who paid 6 figures for a car with the interior from a 2011 Boxster, that's not saying much. And especially coming from the guy who said this about the new GT3:

"I'm not a big fan of wings and aerokits but this car is drop dead gorgeous, they nailed it IMO, best looking GT to date."

Drop dead gorgeous? LOL. Have you not seen that retarded wing on the back? Do you not think you look like an idiot when you drive around down with such high downforce? You gotta get out more. Please don't go through life only buying 911s. That would be a sad sad thing. The best looking GT to date looks worse than a dirty 720S exhaust tip. Until you've owned and driven even an arguably ugly exotic (12C), you really have no idea about the general opinion of these cars. Drive a 720S and you'll get 1000 compliments and photos every day.

It's cool, you don't have to like it, but don't think you're even remotely accurate in terms of the general opinion on it. 

See, that's the difference between your priorities in cars and mine, I didn't pay 6 figures for an "interior"  like you would, I paid for something else you don't seem to care or experience in sportscars.

I get it, I hit a nerve, since someone who buys cars based on looks only as uses them only to cruise in regular streets will get his panties in a bunch real quick when someone criticises the looks since that's all that matters to them, but it is what it is,  this one is really fugly, the 12C is not ugly for example. It may however be great dinamically but that to you is no consolation I'm afraid.

The rear wing of a GT3 looks stupid? only to poseurs, its there for a reason so the wing gets my respect, but its not there for looks so some don't get it... sure its not needed in your world of just cruising around town, to me that in an exotic is what looks stupid, but those who buy a GT3 are after something else in a sporstcar, and I'll give you a hint, its not getting 1000 compliments per day  Smiley

Different worlds I guess...

--

I also get 1000 compliments even though I'm ugly  indecision

noone1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

1488946771385Capture.JPG

--

Ok. You are by far biggest Mclaren fan here on rennteam. Even bigger then some 650S owner who drives his car on daily basis and likes it a lot (a member here). But, that owner of 650S is way more realisitic in his talk about Mclaren then you are. 

Driving a 720S just to get 1000 compliments and photos every day? If that is important to you...

Bashing 991.2 GT3 looks? You clearly do not understand 911 as a icon. Yes, as a icon. 

Btw, 720S is a technical masterpiece. IMO. Just, it is a rather strange design that will age badly as possible. IMHO.

How am I not realistic? Have you not seen countless posts tell you how unreliable the 12C is and how you're nuts if you buy one without a warranty? Mine is up for sale because it's just not a good car and a pain in the ass to own when not within 20 minutes of a dealer. I've literally told McLaren the car has been a piece of shit.

He drives his 650S daily and likes it. So what? I drive my 12C daily. It's just a car. Am I not realistic when saying the 650S is only 1% different than 12C in the vast majority of usage?

I'm not a huge fan, I'm just not interested in playing it safe in design and rehashing shit for eternity. Ferrari and Lamborghini keep the same general designs for nearly 10 years. Porsche keeps them for 50 years. Some people actually like to see people take chances and do something new. McLaren is one of the few companies innovating in design, like the look or not. 12C, P1, 570S, 720S -- like them or not, they were/are fresh and doing something new where many aren't. They aren't afraid to just fix stuff and update stuff so you're always getting the best they have in the latest car you buy.

No, I don't want anyone even talking to me about my car or taking pictures. It's super fucking annoying telling people random facts about the car like how fast it goes and stupid stuff like that. I don't even like people telling me "nice car." "Nice car" has to be one of the dumbest things to say, yet everyone says it. What am I supposed to say to that? Thanks? I didn't design it, so I don't know why they're telling me that. But I'm polite, and I'm realistic and understanding that people generally love all McLaren designs and cum when one pulls up at the gas station.

Every McLaren is leaps and bounds above every 911 in design. Saying any McLaren is a bad design just shows how out of touch you are with the general population's opinion. I have no interest in icons. The GT cars sell not because they look like 911s or people demand they have a high performance 911, but because Porsche doesn't offer anything else. End of story. Everyone would be in a 918 if that was the $250K car Porsche was selling. How long have been people been waiting for a fabled 960? the GT3 and RS have big wings because Porsche doesn't want to design a car that doesn't need them.

And what's so iconic about the Boxtser interior that you want it in a GT3?

Whether a design ages well is meaningless unless you plan to keep the same car forever. When it ages, sell it and buy something new. Who cares how it ages when it's out of production and you've sold it? A black suit is timeless as well, but I don't go around wearing a fucking suit everywhere.

Offer the keys to a GT3 RS and a 720S to any random person on the street and see which they go for. 9 times out of 10 they're going for the one with doors that open upward.

And yes, McLaren is actually trying to buck the trend rather just rehashing the same shit for decades or following everyone else. McLaren has been around 5 years and they're already doing stuff others aren't or haven't.

1. The skin/tendon door design is unique to them. Everyone else just sticks a giant whole on the side. Why couldn't anyone else think of this? Why do Ferrari and Porsche just cut holes into the side?

2. They don't think everyone needs to see the plenums in the engine bay so much anymore. They're actually using the area for more useful interior space. Why hasn't anyone else thought to offer more interior space behind the seats in a rear mid-engine exotic? What's stopping Ferrari and Lamborghini from using that space behind the seats? There isn't anything worth looking at in the engine bay. It looks however they want it to look. You can't even see the engine in most cars. You can make a Honda Civic look like a La Ferrari with ease. You're just looking at an intake skin and a bunch of CF dollars they sucked out of someone's pocket because the matte black standard trim looks so shitty and dirty.

3. Two of their mid-engine exotics now offer glass roofs. Why can't I get this from Ferrari or Lamborghini? Simply option that many people like.

4. No buttons on the steering wheel whenever else is adding as many buttons as they can get. Like it or love it. I don't switches 

5. No glove box in P11, P12, or P14 (i think). It's brilliant. Every glovebox in the world is full of garbage. Go open anyone's glovebox and you'll find a bunch of shit people thought they needed to save but didn't. No glovebox, no problem. You just don't fill it with garbage.

6. Glass C-Pillars. While I still think I prefer this part of the car painted, a lot of people really like it and it does look pretty cool now that I'm actually seeing it. Improves visibility too.

You can bust a nut over driving an icon for the rest of your life if that's what you want. It's a good looking car at the end of the day, just don't pretend it's God's gift to design, the interior especially. Half the people on here seem to drive 911s because they are "socially acceptable"...

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

--

See, that's the difference between your priorities in cars and mine, I didn't pay 6 figures for an "interior"  like you would, I paid for something else you don't seem to care or experience in sportscars.

I get it, I hit a nerve, since someone who buys cars based on looks only as uses them only to cruise in regular streets will get his panties in a bunch real quick when someone criticises the looks since that's all that matters to them, but it is what it is,  this one is really fugly, the 12C is not ugly for example. It may however be great dinamically but that to you is no consolation I'm afraid.

The rear wing of a GT3 looks stupid? only to poseurs, its there for a reason so the wing gets my respect, but its not there for looks so some don't get it... sure its not needed in your world of just cruising around town, to me that in an exotic is what looks stupid, but those who buy a GT3 are after something else in a sporstcar, and I'll give you a hint, its not getting 1000 compliments per day  Smiley

Different worlds I guess...

--

LOL.

"Hey, wait! Don't leave yet! You forgot to attach this giant wing to your Speciale! It won't perform well it enough without it! Hey! Come back!"

The GT3 has a giant wing because Porsche doesn't want to design a car that doesn't need it. That's the one reason it has a giant fixed wing.

You wrote an manifest about Mclaren uniqueness and excellence.  And you are objective?

Also, about that "what many people like"... They like Mclarens? Really? 

Order 720S, enjoy 1000 pictures per day of your car, its extremly practical doors etc. Oh, it is a exotic. It has to have that doors, that design and that practicality.  

And still many people will rather order 991.2 GT3 or Huracan Peformante. They are clueless individuals that do not have any kind of taste and knowledge about sportscars...

Even my modest 11-year old Lotus Elise gets more compliments and looks than pretty much any Porsche short of a 918, that is just Los Angeles and the commonplace nature of Porsches for you.  

But anyway, no need to get emotional, everyone has their own views and tastes.  720S is clearly a technical masterpiece, but I agree the front end isn't that nice looking and the car is odd looking from certain angles.  Also the sound in the videos McLaren posted yesterday wasn't that great to be honest, but in real life probably better.  Based on other forums I read, many people agree with these views, and other peoples are head over heels about the design.  It may take some time...for example it took me a while to come around to the design of the 570S, but still think the rear is much worse than the 570GT.

When you defend every aspect of the car as if people are not entitled to their own views (and insulting them in the process), then it's a bit too much sometimes.  My 2c. 

Finally, I think if McLaren are innovating new features, sometimes it is not what the customer wants (or realizes they even want yet), so there is also going to be some resistance.  Some features will stick and some will not.  

720S will be convertible, the 911 GTx don't. Game over.

Here's the price list. Pretty reasonable. $315K should get you a nice spec, maybe even less.

720S COUPE Price List.pdf

Nice paint. I'd definitely get MSO to paint the eye sockets though.

IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG

The front is very ugly and there's nothing to do about it. Epic design fail. People are forcing themself to like it because of the impressive numbers. I don' care about anyone's sad statistics on the compliments he gets. Cars like this will not get McLaren any closer to the aura of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini. It will earn respects but not love. 

Herbaliser:

The front is very ugly and there's nothing to do about it. Epic design fail. People are forcing themself to like it because of the impressive numbers. I don' care about anyone's sad statistics on the compliments he gets. Cars like this will not get McLaren any closer to the aura of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini. It will earn respects but not love. 

Well, unless you're saying that every new McLaren sold has been to a first-time exotic buyer, where else would these customers come from if not Porsche, Lamborghini, and Ferrari? If McLarens are good enough for those customers, then I'd say they're doing just fine.

It's hilarious that you don't care about statistics on how many compliments a car gets, then you go on to talk about something as bullshit as aura. Aura?! LOL. If everyone walked around calling Ferraris ugly, I assure you it wouldn't have any of that juicy aura.

I like what they are doing but they still have a long way to go. The front design of this car is a stupid mistake and the discussions that we are having here is proving it. We have many owners of multiple supercars these days so it's not a zero sum game. 

Nice touch on the calipers. The lettering is actually raised, not just flat and painted. Also, the calipers has been shrunken down while still providing the same braking power as the 650S.

1489006362225Capture.JPG

Noone1,

No matter what you post, people aren't blind. Design is hideous and even worse than older models.

Specs on the other hand are mind blowing, but after all the hype around this car and today's results, I prefer to wait for indipendent tests... 

Why would I care whether anyone here likes the car or not? Some people on here spend 6-7 figures on cars that I think are ugly.

If people are interested in aspects of the McLaren and the car, they can read about them in this thread. If they're not, so be. That's why the thread says "McLaren on a winning streak" and not "Boyko23's dating profile". If it's not applicable to you, move along.

This is by far the best video of the car and most of the features and design. I think the interior looks great in this video. Also, the space behind the seats is 210 liters. Including up front, it has 360 liters of space. That's quite a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0IhkGSXN0&sns=em

noone1:

Why would I care whether anyone here likes the car or not? 

You could have fooled anyone given how you reacted to anyone who posted anything negative about the McFugly's (aka 720S) design, which seems to be most of the people BTW Smiley ... doesn't seem like you are going to get 1000 compliments in this thread Smiley

--

And how is that exactly? I don't believe I said it was a great design or anything of the sort, merely stating the obvious that in general all mclarens are well received by the masses, much more so than a 911.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688542 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408695 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65393 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857577 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773365 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM