Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: just sailing...in Dubai, UAE

totally agree.couldn't have said it better.

996AD,

The pictures you added are great. Simply stated, yachting (sailing) is one of life's purest pleasures, not to mention a complimentary activity to the heart-pounding one receives from improving lap times in their 6, 8 or 12 cylinder ships.

One observation is that Dubai, UAE has grown tremendously. I traveled through about 11 years ago, in 1995, and recall counting only three high-rise construciton cranes...!

Enjoy the wind in your sails, my friend!

Mopack

mish, hahaha thats what you think. You are extremely incorrect. For one thing, the country is pushing Emaritization. Meaning all government and soon private entities will have to have a required minimum percentage of employees that are uae locals. Lets not forget that UAE is one of the few countries in the world that does not grant citizenship no matter what. Sure Dubai has traffic, but thats because of the tons of people working/moving there. Traffic is traffic like in any other major cosmopolitan city in the world. Certain times of certain venues of the city face traffic. No biggie. Your local friends should visit tanmia.ae if they feel they are "specs" ona cauldron.
    I can guarantee you there is no unhappy local,otherwise the country would not continue the way it is. The UAE works because the ppl choose (to an extent,but a great one) what goes and what doesnt. ^_^

Mashalla 3alaik nice shots 996AD

Quote:
    icon said:
    Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    latest render (construction completes end-2008):
    courtesy of altin, ssc (Mar 18th):

it's not what anybody would call understated or simple in design!
    this will be the world's tallest building?
    when is it scheduled for completion?

yes this will be the tallest building,completion in 2008-9 .
    by the way 25% of the cranes of the world are in dubai...

Quote:
    need_cayman said:
    mish, hahaha thats what you think. You are extremely incorrect. For one thing, the country is pushing Emaritization. Meaning all government and soon private entities will have to have a required minimum percentage of employees that are uae locals. Lets not forget that UAE is one of the few countries in the world that does not grant citizenship no matter what. Sure Dubai has traffic, but thats because of the tons of people working/moving there. Traffic is traffic like in any other major cosmopolitan city in the world. Certain times of certain venues of the city face traffic. No biggie. Your local friends should visit tanmia.ae if they feel they are "specs" ona cauldron.
    I can guarantee you there is no unhappy local,otherwise the country would not continue the way it is. The UAE works because the ppl choose (to an extent,but a great one) what goes and what doesnt. ^_^

Mashalla 3alaik nice shots 996AD

Quote:

"Lets not forget that UAE is one of the few countries in the world that does not grant citizenship no matter what."

Incorrect, I know 4 families, 2 of Palistinian Origin and 2 of Jordanian Origin who have all (in the last 2 years) been given their Passports. If people have a long standing ancestory with Dubai - they can eventually apply for citizenship.

Quote:

"I can guarantee you there is no unhappy local,otherwise the country would not continue the way it is."

This is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

Cayman, sorry but the locals are NOT happy at all. They have seen their city butchered and destroyed from a peaceful, calm and charming beach community to a noisy, polluted, overpopulated urban jungle. Seeing as though you are in AD, I don't think you can truly grasp how the quality of life has slipped in this once beautiful Emirate. Sure it's nice to drive 2 hours from AD, take in the sights then leave - but living here is a completely different issue.

-Perhaps you enjoy the 45 minute drive from the Mall of the Emirates to the residential Area of Sheik Zayed (6km distance is that?) but I can assure you that 99.9% of people do not.

-Perhaps you enjoy the disgraceful smog and horrific pollution which hovers above the city, which can be clearly seen from early morning until the dusk - but I can assure you that 99.9% of people do not.

-Perhaps you enjoy leaving Sharjah at 6am in the morning just so you can make it into Media City for your 8:30 start - but I can assure you that 99.9% of the population do not.

-Perhaps you enjoy the thought of 5 million people living in Dubai by 2017 - but I can assure you that 99.9% of the population do not.

This blinkered view of Dubai being some kind of Utopia has to stop. Back in 02-03, Dubai was the closest thing to the perfect city in the Middle East....Come 2006 the infrastructure has already burst at the seems - and you seem to not feel the need of urgency.

I am currently in Dubai, perhaps I should post a few pics of the real, everyday life here. The situation is actually getting worse, hence why AD has become a much more attractive alternative in the last few years.

mish, I need not argue with you since you are not a local and therefore are far from local opinions. If you dont like it, im sure no one at DXB Intl' will stop you from buyin a 1-way ticket to where ever you are from/feel comfortable living.
    Oh and about the families you mentioned, you are incorrect, but I cannot explain why. You would not understand,nor do I want you to understand (personally).

It depends what kind of life you like. If you have enough money, Dubai is a paradise to live. Many wealthy germans already started to stay more than a week or two over there, including purchasing a nice appartment or even house.
    I love big cities and I love modern architecture and infrastructure but of course I know that many people don't feel good about it and even feel threatened.

Some Germans who don't seem to like the modern development of Dubai and the flashy display of richness actually started to move their vacation activities to Oman, a "quieter" and slightly less "flashy" place.

To be honest, I think that Dubai is a very good thing for the region. It shows that Arabs can develop something very nice, peaceful and that they know how to make money from other stuff than oil too. In my opinion, Dubai is a good example of how the middle east could change into a wealthy, peaceful and at the same time very proud region.
    I know that there is no real democracy and that human rights (women) are still not quite at a point where they should be. But look at China, the communist system is slowly changing from within, a very good and healthy method if you're looking at the drastic change in the former USSR.

I wish the Middle East would start to take an example in Dubai. Dubai reminds me a little bit of a mix between Monaco and Hong Kong. They welcome foreigners from all over the world but at the same time, they try to induce their own identity into the cultural mix.

The only danger I see: Dubai, Kuwait, Oman, etc. ...wealthy regions. "Palestine", Iraq, Syria, Iran...not that wealthy, dangerous developments. I don't think that a Middle East seperated in one poor and one rich region would really work on a longterm run. Maybe the "West" should figure out some solutions for the future, of course together with their friends from Dubai, Kuwait, etc. Because in the end, the conflicts in the region may create more problems than we're aware of right now.
    Peace is the only way to go and people like Iran's president don't help to bring peace to this region.
    Threatening Israel will only provoke an pre-emptive attack.
    And the Palestinians are setting their money again on the wrong horse, the only one which can win is named "Compromise". And finally, the US should start to do their job in Irak to end the insurgencies. The only way they can do it is to double the troop strength, improve daily life in Irak and finally do what the Iranians do very well: propaganda. If the West and it's arab friends don't pay attention, this region can be living hell in a few years. And I don't want it to happen, I still didn't visit Dubai and my wife is nagging me about this all the time.

Kudos to all our friends from Dubai, this is really a nice city and I hope that one day, we'll be able to see more regions like that allover the Middle East and around the world.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Is land scarce in dubai? Why the skyscrapers other than NYNY envy? Seems to me that a better look could be achieved by spreading out at a lower height with bold designs.

Did you see the ss minnow?

I love these kind of cities. And I don't think they took NYC as an example but more likely the "new" mega cities in Asia like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzen, etc.

Thanks a lot guys- very interesting and informative!

Thanks for posting the very nice pictures, 996 AD!

Quote:
    need_cayman said:
    mish, I need not argue with you since you are not a local and therefore are far from local opinions. If you dont like it, im sure no one at DXB Intl' will stop you from buyin a 1-way ticket to where ever you are from/feel comfortable living.
    Oh and about the families you mentioned, you are incorrect, but I cannot explain why. You would not understand,nor do I want you to understand (personally).

A very reasoned reply Cayman . I present you real-life facts - and you present me with...well...some xenophobic guff.

Quote "You are far from local opinions," oh really? Perhaps you should join me and my LOCAL friends for some coffee and we could have a proper debate about it then?

IF you are indeed a local, I very much would like to hear what you have to say about my points particularly on the complete downgrade in standard of living due to both the horrific pollution and immense over population, but seeing as though you aren't even living in Dubai - your insight might not be as relevant as some.

I look forward to a reasoned reply.

RC,

Dubai 3 years ago truly was an incredibly beautiful city. It was vibrant, dynamic and most importantly rich with a unique Western / Arab Soul. A lot has changed since.

It's certainly still a nice city to visit, but just don't expect too much. Dubai inevitably will disappoint some due to the incredible hype which surrounds the place. The Marketer's have done an immense job of painting the place to be a real life Utopia - which it certainly is not.

Still, I hope you and your family get a chance to see the place soon.

If your in the region I must recommend you go to Lebanon (and no I'm not Lebanese!) - but for sheer natural beauty, unsurpassed outdoor activities and wonderful sight-seeing, there are few countries in the region which can match it. Just don't believe the CNN hype (bombs, guns etc), we go every summer and it's a great time. Trust me on that!

I have some Haitian friends with Lebanese roots and say wonderful things about Lebanon

The people sure seem very cool!

Re: Forget Dubai, UAE for sports car use.

Forget Dubai for sports cars.

Universal automobile surveillance comes to the United Arab Emirates:

IBM will begin installing a "Smart Box" system in vehicles in the United Arab Emirates next year, potentially generating millions in traffic fines for the Gulf state. The UAE signed a $125 million contract with IBM today to provide the high-tech traffic monitoring and speed-enforcing system in which a GPS-enabled "Smart Box" would be installed in cars to provide a voice warning if the driver exceeds the local speed limit for wherever he may be driving. If the voice warning is ignored, the system would use a GSM/GPRS link to beam the car's speed, identity and location to the police so that a ticket could be issued. The system would also track and monitor any other driving violations, including "reckless behavior."

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/04/universal_autom.html

the statements about decline are true for many cities that have been westernized through rapid construction/etc.

shanghai/etc and to a lesser degree, hong kong, which will NEVER lose its unique charm, at least in my opinion.

beijing is unmentionable, its just a sordid mess. the air is unbearable and it looks like a warzone in half the city centre.

everything is built shoddily and barely 5 year old buildings are being torn down and rebuilt daily.

im glad to be back in the USA for a brief vacation.

Moogle, you should go to Chunqing. It now has a population of 30 million, making it the most populous city on the earth. It keeps growing bigger like something out of a sci fi film.

Quote:
    mish said:
    RC,

Dubai 3 years ago truly was an incredibly beautiful city. It was vibrant, dynamic and most importantly rich with a unique Western / Arab Soul. A lot has changed since.

It's certainly still a nice city to visit, but just don't expect too much. Dubai inevitably will disappoint some due to the incredible hype which surrounds the place. The Marketer's have done an immense job of painting the place to be a real life Utopia - which it certainly is not.

If your in the region I must recommend you go to Lebanon (and no I'm not Lebanese!) - but for sheer natural beauty, unsurpassed outdoor activities and wonderful sight-seeing, there are few countries in the region which can match it. Just don't believe the CNN hype (bombs, guns etc), we go every summer and it's a great time. Trust me on that!

thanks for that mish... yes lebanon is a great place ,so please anyone who would like to visit drop me a pm ,i would be more than happy to meet fellow rennteamers and make your trip more enjoyable

mish,

I think continueing this conversation in this particular thread is an insult to the OP. What does "downgrade in standard of living" have to do with sailing. Au contraire, it seems rather ironic. Unless ofcourse sailing is a common practice of the "low standard of living segment of society"

Quote:
    mish said:
    RC,

I had a very good friend from Lebanon during my stay in Eastern Europe, his father was in the ship transport business. He was the one who made it possible for me to drive in a Ferrari for the first time. Unfortunately I think this car wasn't "clean", it had belgian license plates and although he claimed that he bought this car for his brother in Lebanon, who will sell it to some important syrian politician with some substantial profit, I didn't believe him too much. Later on, a Porsche 928S was in his posession and when I ran the (german) license plates through our computer, it was...well. Lucky him, the car wasn't there anymore when I found out because I wouldn't have had any choice other than to report the whereabouts of the car. But even if I would have done that, I doubt that it could have been retrieved. It was at a time when Ceausescu was still in power and he had his own agenda, not really offering any help to assist western authoroties. So it would have been a waste of time and resources.

Getting back to my friend from Lebanon: he told me about the past, Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East in the 70s. Things have improved again, I know that and a lot of wealthy people are living there. But still...it is the same like in other countries: if you know where to go and where not to go, it is a very safe and wonderful place. But I wouldn't really recommend Lebanon as a tourist spot for families, I just think this isn't the right time yet. However: if you know a local and he shows you around, I'm pretty sure that it will be a very pleasant and interesting experience.

Regarding Dubai again: I think that one of the major problems is rising cost of living, incl. exploding prices for construction terrain, appartments, etc. Maybe development goes a little bit too fast, I agree. But on the other hand, you can't deny that ten years ago, nobody really knew that Dubai even exists and now a lot of people use the name Dubai with respect and admiration. Two sides of the medal...it is always like that I'm afraid.
    But trust me, you don't want to have it the german way: over here, everything seems to stagnate, no real movement.
    We have the Soccer World Cup over here this summer and I expected to see people to be very excited about it, to see new businesses, a lot of construction work, etc. The truth is: NOTHING. NADA. Incredible. Nobody I know is really excited about hosting the World Championship, some people even argue that it is thrown out money. So personally, I would prefer a more aggressive approach regarding development, construction and business but over here in Germany, we seem to be trapped in our own honey pot. No movement back, no movement forward, maybe a little bit sidewards. Doesn't give me much hope. For me, looking at the development in Dubai, it gives me hope that somewhere in the world things are actually moving and changing. The onyl change I expect here is...down. And since the politicians seem to realize that too, they don't change much. Because the necessary changes would probably create a minor revolution and of course politicians want to be re-elected. Bad thing, better the Dubai way.

RC, if its any consollation, and im sure it is. Germany is where renowned for its productions. Lets begin by the most popular, cars. I think UAE alone is a substantial source of income for germany haha. BM's, Mercedes' are like taxis (the phrase "like taxis" means those cars are as common as taxis - which are a lot in this country-). Then you have the medicinal productions, camera gear, kitchen ware and so on. Those are old,proven industries that are trusted and demanded world wide.

Dubai is a big busy city.. I agree with mish, as a local i wouldn't live in it. that's why i live in peaceful quiet neighborhood and far away from the city. But many of foreigners seems to like dubai and its style. people from all around the world are here in dubai for business or to settle because they like it. some people like Abu Dhabi more cuz it's little quiet and spacious.
    There are many things you can do other than talk about traffic like every body in dubai, and by the way after the completion of the train project traffic problem will be solved.
    If you want my opinion as a local I think it's a big step forward and I hope to see all nationalities living within and peacefully.

here's a pic of the new train project

I tried to edit my last post,apparantly I cannot because the time frame expired for editing. I hope I did come off like I was showing off. Just trying to console RC about Germany not being as stagnant as it may seem to him.

We have a luv / hate relationship with dubai ........yes it has a degree of superficiality and transience (very obvious in the hotel/restaurant/shop service levels).......but it remains a compelling & comopolitan growth story. Expatds from all over are pouring in here; esp from Asia which is on the decline for Western expat opportunities & lifestyle

For those with the right qualififcations & experience, career opp's are great (highly paid banking vacancies for e.g. are numerous .............hence record P car sales)
    We've lived in London, Bangkok & HK so know the trials & tribulations of pollution & congestion ........but P-Cars cost double-triple in those cities and there's no F1 track 15 mins from your house !

Dubai is going thru a messy adolescence / infrastructure growing pains. Westerner's are attracted by it NOT being a "nanny state" which is becoming the bane of most OECD countries and is a ultimate travel hub .............Europe 6 hrs, Asia 6 hrs etc (only N.A. is a major long haul)

Back to the source of this thread, we're also great sailors but keep our yacht in Thailand because the cruising opp's here are limited, the shore support is non-existent (sailmakers, riggers etc)and the coast is shallow & poorly charted (if you draw over 2m)

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Forget Dubai for sports cars.

Universal automobile surveillance comes to the United Arab Emirates:

IBM will begin installing a "Smart Box" system in vehicles in the United Arab Emirates next year, potentially generating millions in traffic fines for the Gulf state. The UAE signed a $125 million contract with IBM today to provide the high-tech traffic monitoring and speed-enforcing system in which a GPS-enabled "Smart Box" would be installed in cars to provide a voice warning if the driver exceeds the local speed limit for wherever he may be driving. If the voice warning is ignored, the system would use a GSM/GPRS link to beam the car's speed, identity and location to the police so that a ticket could be issued. The system would also track and monitor any other driving violations, including "reckless behavior."

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/04/universal_autom.html

that is truly scary for enthusiasts everywhere!

Quote:
    RC said:
    And finally, the US should start to do their job in Irak to end the insurgencies. The only way they can do it is to double the troop strength, improve daily life in Irak and finally do what the Iranians do very well: propaganda.

why do you view it as the responsibility of the united states?

i've learned a lot about dubai just from reading this interesting thread!
    the best thing about the internet! global communication!

Quote:
    icon said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    And finally, the US should start to do their job in Irak to end the insurgencies. The only way they can do it is to double the troop strength, improve daily life in Irak and finally do what the Iranians do very well: propaganda.

You break it, you buy it.

Quote:
    icon said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Because you went in in the face of overwhelming international opposition, declared the UN as illegitimate, your government even lied about why it actually went into Iraq. Those events are in the past today and nobody can say that ousting Saddam was a bad thing. However, you invaded the country, you fix it. It's that simple.

Groom: nice response

We're fixing it!

It was already broken. Saddam wasn't the sweet guy some of you would like to think!

Cheers!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 6:32 AM
    GnilM
    803168 1807
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266107 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90051 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6581 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885685 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833228 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM