Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tiptronic!

The Audi (tiptronic) and BMW automatics (BMWs don't have tiptronics, not sure who makes them but certainly not Audi or VW, BMW calls their automatic steptronics) are much worse than the MB counterpart.

I have a fair bit of experience as I own a 2004 E55 (5 speed auto), an Audi allroad (5 speed auto) and a 750Li (6 speed auto).

I would rank the 5 speed MB transmission in the E55 9/10, BMW 7/10 and the Audi (tiptronic) 5/10.

I hope the tiptronic in the 997TT behaves more like the MB (it should as it's made by MB) than BMW or Audi.

The Audi is plain SLOW and the BMW very jerky as one can actually feel the fairly abrupt downshifts when slow coasting/braking to a stop. I can still catch the MB transmission off guard and confuse it, but it's doing a fine job dealing with all the 500lb torque, overall very happy with it.

The AMG Speedtronic is a very nice MB tranny. And the Tiptronic currently used on 997 models is very similar in shifting behaviour, even better with activated sport chrono.

Steptronic, tiptronic, speed tronic. They are all essentially the same. Saying BMW does not have tiptronic is splitting hairs.

Quote:
    RC said:
    The AMG Speedtronic is a very nice MB tranny. And the Tiptronic currently used on 997 models is very similar in shifting behaviour, even better with activated sport chrono.

No its not! Sorry RC but my gf has an SLK 55AMG and even she is complaining on how slow it is.. She is no racing driver and does not particularly like speed. But she still complains and I actually agree 100%. Now if you want to drive quickly then forget it! It cant keep up with my manual changes on my 996tt. If the 997tt is anything like that then RC you might be forced to change your car way before 5 years..
    Tip: why do you think Porsche decided to offer tip with 5 gears only??
    PDK will have 6 or 7 gears, and then nobody will be able to "complain" to P that they got robbed with the intermediate tip version.. It's all marketing guys. Do you think Porsche executives really had a choice?? They would either delay launch of flagship 997tt or come out with only manual?? Third choice was to come with whatever they could get their hands on now, develop it as much as possible, create max hype about it so that they dont risk failure and prey for the best..
    PDK will be miles better than tip or manual; You know that.

That's my opinion at least. I am waiting for PDK and/or S.

Based on what I heard, I think that there will be a PDK equipped Turbo S in 2-3 years and that will be the car that makes me give up my 6 speed 997tt (or losing my license, whichever comes first).

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Based on what I heard, I think that there will be a PDK equipped Turbo S in 2-3 years and that will be the car that makes me give up my 6 speed 997tt (or losing my license, whichever comes first).

A PDK car, which would be faster in all speed ranges, would probably make me relinquish the 6-speed as well. However, I'd still prefer to keep at least one other manual sports car, just for the sake of it.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

A PDK car, which would be faster in all speed ranges, would probably make me relinquish the 6-speed as well. However, I'd still prefer to keep at least one other manual sports car, just for the sake of it.

BTW: Just noticed that the most recent issue of the CAR magazine includes a story about driving in Timbuktu

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

BTW: Just noticed that the most recent issue of the CAR magazine includes a story about driving in Timbuktu

Gotta love our horsecarts

Quote:
    RC said:

I agree, not particularly pleased with the Audi and BMW automatics but the 5 speed MB/AMG trasmission I can live with, especially with VTG.

Heard some complaints about the 7 speed new MB transmission but the 5 speed seems to be bullet proof.

Quote:
    GT said:
    No its not! Sorry RC but my gf has an SLK 55AMG and even she is complaining on how slow it is.. She is no racing driver and does not particularly like speed. But she still complains and I actually agree 100%.

I suggest you try a E55 and SL55 and see if the auto tranny feels the same. We owned a ML55, E55 and SLK32. All cars had a great auto tranny. Especially the E55 tranny was wroking nicely but also the SLK32 tranny. The ML55 tranny worked nice after around 50000 km...a software bug (which actually needed a reset) improved shifting, as funny as this may sound. My mechanic knew of this "problem" but he suggested to leave it this way if I'm happy. The only downside: apparently the emissions control was affected, so I wouldn't have passed emissions testing.
    I drove a SLK55 the same day it was out on the market and actually liked the Speedtronic, it didn't feel much different than the other AMG auto trannies.
    The only thing I didn't like was the fact, that the SLK55 actually felt less sporty than my wife's former SLK32, a pretty surprising experience. This is also one of the major reasons we went for a Boxster S instead. My wife didn't want too (soft top, too loud) but ask her now, she would KILL anybody who tries to take the Boxster S away from her.

RC, I agree with you that MB AMG autoboxes are good! I specially like SL55AMG(new version with 517hp and alu shift paddels is even better!)-the best AMG work yet, IMO.
    New AMG 7-G Tronic is a lot better according to new CLS/CLS 63 AMG brochure-it is capable to handle up to 800Nm! Shift times are faster then previous 5speed AMG auto boxes... AMG also claimes that all these benefites are result of complete system(sounds familiar, isn't it?).
    BTW, you are not totaly objective regarding Tiptronic S gearbox... You have Cayenne Turbo power kit(Tiptronic), your wife's Boxster S is Tiptronic S and you have ordered 997 Turbo TIP! Your daily drivers are all Autoboxes!
    This is just my observation...
    997 Turbo with TIP is faster on straight line then manual version but, more sporty or more invloving? And what version is faster around Nordschleife? We allready know that answer...

I HATE the Tiptronic in our Cayenne Turbo, one reason why I went a "long way" (asking in a lot of favors, meeting with certain people, writing letters back and forth, doing several trips to Porsche) to change this but without success.
    The ONLY reason my wife's Boxster S has Tiptronic is...she can't drive manual. Very simple. She did driving school with a stick but drove a Mercedes 190 E 2.6 with auto tranny afterwards and since this time, she loves automatic trannies. I tried to change that, no chance.

Believe me, I would have NEVER ordered Tiptronic with my 997 Turbo if some "sources" wouldn't have recommend it.
    Sources I usually trust and even more interesting: two seperate ones, making this "recommendation" even more trustable. Maybe I made a mistake, I don't know. But the fact that most launch cars are manuals and Tiptronics are hard to get (in Germany even impossible), this may be another hint. Apparently the whole upper Porsche/Weissach staff got themselves Tiptronic Turbos.

Quote:
    GT said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

No its not! Sorry RC but my gf has an SLK 55AMG and even she is complaining on how slow it is.. She is no racing driver and does not particularly like speed. But she still complains and I actually agree 100%. Now if you want to drive quickly then forget it! It cant keep up with my manual changes on my 996tt. If the 997tt is anything like that then RC you might be forced to change your car way before 5 years..
    PDK will have 6 or 7 gears, and then nobody will be able to "complain" to P that they got robbed with the intermediate tip version.. It's all marketing guys. Do you think Porsche executives really had a choice?? They would either delay launch of flagship 997tt or come out with only manual?? Third choice was to come with whatever they could get their hands on now, develop it as much as possible, create max hype about it so that they dont risk failure and prey for the best..

The AMG juice boxes are adaptive to the driver and the way you drive. They will "learn" how you drive and shift accordingly. Start pushing it harder and it will start to shift more aggressivly.They have different shift mode control buttons too.

Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    GT said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

The AMG juice boxes are adaptive to the driver and the way you drive. They will "learn" how you drive and shift accordingly. Start pushing it harder and it will start to shift more aggressivly.They have different shift mode control buttons too.

same with tiptronic s

without any malicious intent of making it longer:

this is a long thread

humongous thread

Quote:
    Hurst said:

this is a long thread

Are you trying to say we are

Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

this is a long thread

We're past that stage. Right now, we're making beautiful, carribean-island-type dance songs, by hitting the ribs on the skeleton of the very dead horse.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

this is a long thread

We're past that stage. Right now, we're making beautiful, carribean-island-type dance songs, by hitting the ribs on the skeleton of the very dead horse.

And some pretty big quote boxes too. Speaking of the Carribean, I leave this Wednesday for two weeks in a villa on Nevis.

Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

this is a long thread

And some pretty big quote boxes too. Speaking of the Carribean, I leave this Wednesday for two weeks in a villa on Nevis.

Cheers to the quote boxes . on the villa .

Quote:
    RC said:
    I HATE the Tiptronic in our Cayenne Turbo, one reason why I went a "long way" (asking in a lot of favors, meeting with certain people, writing letters back and forth, doing several trips to Porsche) to change this but without success.
    The ONLY reason my wife's Boxster S has Tiptronic is...she can't drive manual. Very simple. She did driving school with a stick but drove a Mercedes 190 E 2.6 with auto tranny afterwards and since this time, she loves automatic trannies. I tried to change that, no chance.

Believe me, I would have NEVER ordered Tiptronic with my 997 Turbo if some "sources" wouldn't have recommend it.
    Sources I usually trust and even more interesting: two seperate ones, making this "recommendation" even more trustable. Maybe I made a mistake, I don't know. But the fact that most launch cars are manuals and Tiptronics are hard to get (in Germany even impossible), this may be another hint. Apparently the whole upper Porsche/Weissach staff got themselves Tiptronic Turbos.

RC, you won't know if you've made a mistake until you've paid for your car and driven it, but I think we can all agree you've taken a big risk. Yes, you could end up with the best automatic transmission ever built for a sports car, super fast and always in the right gear at the right time. Or you could end up with a normal automatic transmission with the same annoying acceleration lag that you complained about in your Cayenne TT. Remember how difficult it was to get a straight answer from Porsche about that problem, or even a simple acknowledgment that it was a problem? Everyone at Porsche may be singing the same song now about the glorious new tiptronic, but they have all sung that exact same song before and they've been wrong. How will you feel if you end up with the same old laggy tiptronic?

I wouldn't be surprised if this manual vs. automatic confusion will hurt initial sales of the 997tt. Surely some people will want to wait and see whether the tiptronic is as good as Porsche says it is before they place their order.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

this is a long thread

Cheers to the quote boxes . on the villa .

Thanks
    No Porsche on Nevis. I'll be driving a small white Toyota wit tree an a haf cylinder mon.
    Sorry for going OT
    Quote box is getting ready to explode..........

Quote:
    RC said:
    I suggest you try a E55 and SL55 and see if the auto tranny feels the same. We owned a ML55, E55 and SLK32. All cars had a great auto tranny. Especially the E55 tranny was wroking nicely but also the SLK32 tranny. The ML55 tranny worked nice after around 50000 km...a software bug (which actually needed a reset) improved shifting, as funny as this may sound. My mechanic knew of this "problem" but he suggested to leave it this way if I'm happy. The only downside: apparently the emissions control was affected, so I wouldn't have passed emissions testing.
    I drove a SLK55 the same day it was out on the market and actually liked the Speedtronic, it didn't feel much different than the other AMG auto trannies.
    The only thing I didn't like was the fact, that the SLK55 actually felt less sporty than my wife's former SLK32, a pretty surprising experience. This is also one of the major reasons we went for a Boxster S instead. My wife didn't want too (soft top, too loud) but ask her now, she would KILL anybody who tries to take the Boxster S away from her.

RC,
    I noted that the later software revisions of the C32 software felt less sporty than the original MY2002 software. They smoothed out the shifting a bit and the upshifts in the lower gears felt especially more "soft". Perhaps AMG tuned the software a bit differently for later models due to complaints. I had a transmission problem and they upgraded the car to the '03 ECU, which I did not like as much.

The E55 autobox works quite well for the car. Feels more natural than the equivalent BMW autobox. Though, if you say it acts similarly to the 997 Tiptronic, I'm not sure I'd want it. Seems to take a bit of edge out of the driving experience, even if I would be faster with the Tip.

Will the 997TT Tip have better rev-matching while downshifting? The AMG software upshifts reasonably fast, and reacts to input to downshift quickly in most cases, but sometimes I feel there is too much compression experienced. It was worse in my C32. In the 3-2 for example, you have to wait for a while at high revvs for the car to become settled.

- Justin

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

RC,
    I noted that the later software revisions of the C32 software felt less sporty than the original MY2002 software. They smoothed out the shifting a bit and the upshifts in the lower gears felt especially more "soft". Perhaps AMG tuned the software a bit differently for later models due to complaints. I had a transmission problem and they upgraded the car to the '03 ECU, which I did not like as much.

The E55 autobox works quite well for the car. Feels more natural than the equivalent BMW autobox. Though, if you say it acts similarly to the 997 Tiptronic, I'm not sure I'd want it. Seems to take a bit of edge out of the driving experience, even if I would be faster with the Tip.

Will the 997TT Tip have better rev-matching while downshifting? The AMG software upshifts reasonably fast, and reacts to input to downshift quickly in most cases, but sometimes I feel there is too much compression experienced. It was worse in my C32. In the 3-2 for example, you have to wait for a while at high revvs for the car to become settled.

- Justin

What will be intriguing to learn is how relevant/irrelevant shift times/gearing will be for cars w/450++ lb-ft at 1800RPM, like 997TT and 65s. My only gripe w/997TT Tip is the lack of paddle shifters, to more ergonomically play w/the gears. However, will extensively test-drive a colleague's '07 S65 (5-speed AMG SpeedShift w/paddle shifters) upon its July arrival....and will determine whether I can find any settings where paddle-shifters are preferred from either a "feel" or timing standpoint vs letting Tip select gears itself (in networked coordination w/ESP/PSM/PTM/eAWD, etc etc), esp in a high-torque, software-rich car like 65/997TT.....

Quote:
    GT said:
    ...Porsche executives really had a choice?? They would either delay launch of flagship 997tt or come out with only manual?? Third choice was to come with whatever they could get their hands on now, develop it as much as possible, create max hype about it so that they dont risk failure and prey for the best..

Bang on! Especially the bit about preying. Yup, all about $!

I think this thread is going to break the record for lenght in this forum...

i agree....and this post made it even longer

I think 265 is the number to beat on this new 997TT board.....

Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    I think 265 is the number to beat on this new 997TT board.....

No problem. So, who thinks manual is immensely better than Tiptronic and everyone who bought Tips have made a huge error, worthy of Enzo Ferrari saying to Lamborghini: "So build your own car."

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

RC,

- Justin

What will be intriguing to learn is how relevant/irrelevant shift times/gearing will be for cars w/450++ lb-ft at 1800RPM, like 997TT and 65s. My only gripe w/997TT Tip is the lack of paddle shifters, to more ergonomically play w/the gears. However, will extensively test-drive a colleague's '07 S65 (5-speed AMG SpeedShift w/paddle shifters) upon its July arrival....and will determine whether I can find any settings where paddle-shifters are preferred from either a "feel" or timing standpoint vs letting Tip select gears itself (in networked coordination w/ESP/PSM/PTM/eAWD, etc etc), esp in a high-torque, software-rich car like 65/997TT.....

I did not know the Tip is without paddel/button shifters. I could have sworn that I saw a pic somewhere on that. BTW the new paddles on the AMGs replace the buttons, but they are still attached to the steering wheel and not to the column. It is easy to get them confused with very tight turns as the upshift can be on the other side of the wheel. Ask me how I know.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441558 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262695 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260838 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85111 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5516 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880552 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815695 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM