Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

The 605hp article was written by Autocars Frankel...  Guest89 at Rennlist will ask Walliser at Sebring to get a verification.

Kobalt:

The 605hp article was written by Autocars Frankel...  Guest89 at Rennlist will ask Walliser at Sebring to get a verification.

Ah, ok.  So maybe take with a grain of salt? Smiley  Hope we get some good intel from Sebring Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Maybe I'm a bit hard on Frankel. :-)

"Porsche 911 to get mid-engined version and major design change..."

(7 March 2017)

-- by Andrew Frankel

Porsche seems poised to make the biggest conceptual change to the design of the 53-year-old 911 and for the first time put a mid-engined version on sale.

Porsche Motorsport’s manager of high-performance cars, Andreas Preuninger, told Autocar: "There is nothing coming soon, but in the mid-term don’t rule it [a mid-engined 911] out." He added: "I think that adding some excitement to the car in this way wouldn’t be bad."

Preuninger’s boss, Frank Walliser, confirmed there was significant customer interest in such a car. Porsche Motorsport has a proud tradition of listening closely to its customers, one reason why a manual gearbox is now once more available on the latest 911 GT3.

The mid-engined 911 will be comparatively easy for Porsche to produce, not least because the car already exists in racing RSR form and proved its potential by coming second in the Daytona 24 Hours on its first outing. There is no issue with rear seats because GT 911s have always been homologated as two-seaters. And now that Porsche has just one Motorsport engine that's used in everything from the standard road GT3 to the ultimate mid-engined racing RSR, engineering the car should be relatively simple.

Moreover, despite the fact that the normally aspirated 4.0-litre engine already produces 493bhp and revs to 9000rpm, it has considerable additional development potential. Walliser says the most they’ve seen so far is 608bhp with the engine "screaming on the bench".

Quite what the mid-engined 911 will be called is unclear. It could have an all-new name, adopt the same RSR acronym of its racing counterpart or use one of the existing road car names.

What is certain is that Porsche doesn't think the car is in any way heretical to the 911 brand. When asked if Porsche could really call such a car a 911, Walliser replied simply: "We already do."

Autocar link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/porsche-911-get-mid-engined-version-and-major-design-change

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Could they reserve this engine configuration for the GT3 RS? That would be special...

SciFrog:

Could they reserve this engine configuration for the GT3 RS? That would be special...

I wouldn't expect this before 992, if at all...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Carlos from Spain:

I'm not a big fan of wings and aerokits but this car is drop dead gorgeous, they nailed it IMO, best looking GT to date.

I fully agree. Smiley  What a car, the car to have.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

"Porsche 911 to get mid-engined version and major design change..."

(7 March 2017)

-- by Andrew Frankel

Porsche seems poised to make the biggest conceptual change to the design of the 53-year-old 911 and for the first time put a mid-engined version on sale.

Porsche Motorsport’s manager of high-performance cars, Andreas Preuninger, told Autocar: "There is nothing coming soon, but in the mid-term don’t rule it [a mid-engined 911] out." He added: "I think that adding some excitement to the car in this way wouldn’t be bad."

Preuninger’s boss, Frank Walliser, confirmed there was significant customer interest in such a car. Porsche Motorsport has a proud tradition of listening closely to its customers, one reason why a manual gearbox is now once more available on the latest 911 GT3.

The mid-engined 911 will be comparatively easy for Porsche to produce, not least because the car already exists in racing RSR form and proved its potential by coming second in the Daytona 24 Hours on its first outing. There is no issue with rear seats because GT 911s have always been homologated as two-seaters. And now that Porsche has just one Motorsport engine that's used in everything from the standard road GT3 to the ultimate mid-engined racing RSR, engineering the car should be relatively simple.

Moreover, despite the fact that the normally aspirated 4.0-litre engine already produces 493bhp and revs to 9000rpm, it has considerable additional development potential. Walliser says the most they’ve seen so far is 608bhp with the engine "screaming on the bench".

Quite what the mid-engined 911 will be called is unclear. It could have an all-new name, adopt the same RSR acronym of its racing counterpart or use one of the existing road car names.

What is certain is that Porsche doesn't think the car is in any way heretical to the 911 brand. When asked if Porsche could really call such a car a 911, Walliser replied simply: "We already do."

Autocar link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/porsche-911-get-mid-engined-version-and-major-design-change

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If this happens, I think we can kiss goodbye to the 960.

Reading the Preuninger interview again, couple of very interesting statements which I view very positively for true fans and quite a lot less positively for the broader speculating community:

- just before the "Is it lighter" question: "and we will satisfy the demand of all the people who didn't get an R..."

- the comments a little later in the paragraph addressing letters from R owners about preserving value where he notes that Porsche is a company that produces cars NOT one that helps preserve value for a small amount of chosen people

- re the Q of will production be limited, where he note they can't produce 10,000 but can it seems easily do 4,000 units....

very interesting and open comments which give a reassuring perspective on production numbers being strong

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:

What color is that? Guards red or Carmine red? I went to the Europe configurator and they have enough colors for me to choose from which would not necessitate PTS and delay delivery.

The launch color is Carmine, Nick (much richer than Guards without the Orange undertones)

--

Carmine it will be.kiss

Its the same color as my GTS Nick, from experience I recommend it very highly, you will love it, but it needs to go with the black wheels IMO... and with the black alcantara interior and the red accents... just like in the pics, don't think you can get a better looking combo in a GT3 personally Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I love your combo, Carlos. The Carmine and black details are so good. Think its my choice, just waiting on allocations..The flat White is cool too along with black LED's and wheels. Jeeps, you do not need PTS Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

I am so in trance that i cant find the manual option on the german configuratoryes

Turbo:

I am so in trance that i cant find the manual option on the german configuratoryes

Will only be available from September onwards Smiley

Thanks for the info.

Are these black wing endplates an option? Looks like a horrible tuning afterthought. Smiley

Is there a single mass flywheel for the manual? I thought I heard in the interview both gearboxes will have dual mass flywheel?

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:

Is there a single mass flywheel for the manual? I thought I heard in the interview both gearboxes will have dual mass flywheel?

No. AP suggests not to change flywheel: Will destroy engine.

Source:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHFSsdqLntw&t=2s

Porker:

Are these black wing endplates an option? Looks like a horrible tuning afterthought. Smiley

+1

Very much Exclusive Dept and not Motorsport. Same for the wheel "stripes". Horrible Smiley

What is next? GT3 wheel spinners in chrome and optional underbody neon light SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

Very much Exclusive Dept and not Motorsport. Same for the wheel "stripes". Horrible Smiley

wheel stripes are great,i love to have them on mine,but they where not available on earlier RS.Smiley

if you put them on,you gain at least 75 Hp,if stripes are white also 85hp.Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:
    if you put them on,you gain at least 75 Hp,if stripes are white also 85hp.Smiley

Perfect!  

Sorry guys, busy, going to the garage. Bookstore first though.

Unknown.jpeg

Gnil:
    RC:
    Btw: Engine is closer to Cup car than to GT3 RS engine... Smiley Smiley

With all the improvements they made to the engine , it should actually be more then 500 HP . The '' older'' RS engine had already 500 HP . Either they kept  some room by restraining air admission or something similar, or this engine is closer to 515 HP and they just say it is 500 in order not to upset too much the R and the RS .

Looking forward to see the difference between RS and GT3 on the track . With the .1 GT3 it had way more difference in reality then on paper . 

I am very curious about this Touring Pack . Wonder when it will be made available ?  If it is no wing, and back seat , that would make it the best DD of all cars Smiley

Well, wait for the 991.2 GT3 RS. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

bluelines:
    Porker:

+1

What is next? GT3 wheel spinners in chrome and optional underbody neon light SmileySmiley

Please stop giving them ideas... Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

SciFrog:

Forget it, the GT3 RS won't get 600 hp or even close to that.

Unfortunately it seem that the GT2 RS won't get this engine either. There was a plan for 700 hp and a similar engine plus turbo chargers but for various reasons (I'd say cost but I really don't know for sure), apparently they've chosen some sort of middle way, involving the current 991.2 Turbo S engine as a basis. I can only report on rumors since I have no direct source involved with GT2 RS development.

In my opinion, especially after the Huracan Performante and the new McLaren 720 showing up, Porsche is under a lot of pressure with the new GT2 RS. Both, the Huracan and the 720, have a base price under 250k EUR in Germany, Porsche won't have it easy with the new GT2 RS if they put the car on the market with the specs I know. I hope they reconsider. Track performance isn't everything and even if the new GT2 RS does 0-200 kph in under 9 seconds, this won't be enough to beat the 720.

--

bluelines:
    Porker:

+1

Morning son Smiley,

I am having the white exterior, red wheel stripes, black front LED's, black wheels, black wing end plates and adding the "GT3" red stickers on the bodywork sides. Is that a cool combo or a cool combo Smiley. Thoughts please..Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Thoughts please..Smiley..

Buddy, that combo is the dog's danglies SmileySmiley

Maybe you could add an external oil cooler Bosozoku style Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

What a car....! kiss But.... I'll wait for the GT2 RS AND the coming GT3 RS (this will be the car to have for meblush) 4,2 l, 550 hp as far as the latest rumors tells....

The farmer:

What a car....! kiss But.... I'll wait for the GT2 RS AND the coming GT3 RS (this will be the car to have for meblush) 4,2 l, 550 hp as far as the latest rumors tells....

4.2 l engine? Maybe. 550 hp? Very unlikely with the GT2 RS coming...

I heard 4.2 l engine and 530 hp. At max.

We need to wait and see.

--

RC, you are way closer to the source than me, so please take my rumors as anything but comfirmed, but I still hopewinksmiley

The farmer:

RC, you are way closer to the source than me, so please take my rumors as anything but comfirmed, but I still hopewinksmiley

I'm not as close as you think but people in development talk with each other and rumors flow...

550 hp is very unlikely but like you said...the hope dies last. Smiley Smiley

--

throt:
    Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:

What color is that? Guards red or Carmine red? I went to the Europe configurator and they have enough colors for me to choose from which would not necessitate PTS and delay delivery.

The launch color is Carmine, Nick (much richer than Guards without the Orange undertones)

--

Carmine it will be.kiss

Its the same color as my GTS Nick, from experience I recommend it very highly, you will love it, but it needs to go with the black wheels IMO... and with the black alcantara interior and the red accents... just like in the pics, don't think you can get a better looking combo in a GT3 personally Smiley

--

I love your combo, Carlos. The Carmine and black details are so good. Think its my choice, just waiting on allocations..

Throt that combo is going to look even better the 991.2GT3 IMO, since its a stunning already in the pictures, inside and out!

--

Carlos from Spain:
    throt:
    Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:

--

Carmine it will be.kiss

--

I love your combo, Carlos. The Carmine and black details are so good. Think its my choice, just waiting on allocations..

Throt that combo is going to look even better the 991.2GT3 IMO, since its a stunning already in the pictures, inside and out!

Yep,,, it looks so rich in colour and very tasteful too...Your GTS looks fantastic so we have great heads up for that very  combo..The UK allocation fights are kicking off already..indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Carlos, would you get the new GT3 is the Touring Package includes backseats? Just curious.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688925 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408890 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255611 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234862 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65451 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857715 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773662 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM