Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

ISUK:

The side profile outline and cabin teardrop shape are very reminiscent of the Pagani Huayra.

Yeah.

Similar cab forward, long tail, teardrop canopy elements to both designs. Mclaren have thrown a lot more aero onto their car obviously but the similarities are quite striking in terms of outline shape.

720 vs Pagani.JPG

I just received some photo's from Mclaren. The dash design looks poor to me and doesn't look like something that belongs in a car of this type.

Dash layout.JPG

1488908107509Interior.JPG

ISUK:

I just received some photo's from Mclaren. The dash design looks poor to me and doesn't look like something that belongs in a car of this type.

What's wrong with the dash? It's just a display.

hmmmm...I'm sure the materials are top notch but looks a bit empty and modular... kind of what you would expect on a TVR type car but not on this Ferrai/Lambo price range... and that steering wheel enlightened

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

That's still about a decade ahead of the 911 interior... The are bad pics anyway. Doesn't if fold anyway? Form follows function?

The shape and design of the instrument binnacle and upper centre console looks like something Volvo would have produced 10 years ago.

More Mclaren PR shots.

Front orange.JPG

Track 2.JPG

Track 3.JPG

1488909102553Rear.JPG

1488909109321Front.JPG

The instrument panel must be motorised as this photo appears to show it folded away and showing only a thin digital display. I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to fold a display out of sight like this yes

Dash 2.JPG

Do you really need a dash with anything other than speed and gear?

ISUK:

The shape and design of the instrument binnacle and upper centre console looks like something Volvo would have produced 10 years ago.

I think you are onto something... true, if Volvo would have had a jab a few years ago at a sportcar concept in this price range it could have very well looked like this on the inside... and the outside Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

noone1:

A lot of people must think you do judging by the confusing array of TFT laden designs out there. I'm more than happy with the simple but effective TFT display in the Alfa 4C which shows everything you need at a glance - gear selection, RPM, large digital speed reedout, fuel level, engine coolant and oil temps, turbo boost, driving mode map selection, time and external temp.

TFT screen.JPG

noone1:

Water and oil temps are musts, and to some extent, air pressure is useful.  

vantagesc:
    noone1:

Water and oil temps are musts, and to some extent, air pressure is useful.  

Do you really think they're just going to let those things go disastrous in the background with no way of alerting the driver? The thin display is just a display. It can show any information. I guarantee you that it will present temperature information when it's needed, or at the very least flip up and revert to normal.

ISUK:
    noone1:

A lot of people must think you do judging by the confusing array of TFT laden designs out there. I'm more than happy with the simple but effective TFT display in the Alfa 4C which shows everything you need at a glance - gear selection, RPM, large digital speed reedout, fuel level, engine coolant and oil temps, turbo boost, driving mode map selection, time and external temp.

TFT screen.JPG

Well, you can have whatever you want. It has two modes. There are plenty of times that nothing other than speed and rpm are important. I rarely ever look at temps, boost, odometer.

Also, it's not like it's just going to let you ignore problems. If you're low on gas, I assure you that it will be apparent whether you're in slim mode or full.

Again, they are just displays. They can display anything.

ISUK:

Dash layout.JPG

Looks like a new Chinese car... Not good.

While the 21.5s for 0-300 are great this is just like 3s faster than the 650s,. 4s faster than the 488 and 6s faster than the turbo s. Thinking through this new McLaren and given its looks (on pictures) I really ask myself if this incremental acceleration performance is sufficient to accept the rest (design etc.) of this new McLaren Smiley

Maybe this new McLaren can convince with excellent track performance Smiley I hope it - for McLaren.

You are kidding right? 3s for 0-300 is a big performance leap...

SciFrog:

Not really, these cars are all fast. Track performance, drive feel and design seem more important to me when looking at this new car. I would never buy it because of 3s (or even 6s) advantage for 0-300. It just looks horrible. And the track performance is hopefully better than with the 650s.

Track times for the 720s on normal tires will be quicker than the LT on its Trofeos.

Wow, tough audience indeed!  We clearly need a new Macca thread, that is titled "McLaren styling failure heralds the demise of this once-proud company".

I will go out on a limb and say that I like the car's looks better than any McLaren to date.  It is more cohesive, and less derivative to my eyes, while keeping to the company's function-first ethos.  The simplicity of the interior, and the perfect driving position, has always been part of the drivers-first thinking as well, and is a plus for me.  Keep in mind, I also think the new Audi R8 interior, just as a counter example, is far too busy, and borders on bling.  It was often the case even with their first 12C that people instantly said "ugly", but 4 years later admitted the design had aged quite well. 

In any case, regardless of how it looks, if it really has moved the driving experience ahead from the past super series cars, owners will come to accept the new look for the driving pleasure, which is how it should be.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Not really, these cars are all fast. Track performance, drive feel and design seem more important to me when looking at this new car. I would never buy it because of 3s (or even 6s) advantage for 0-300. It just looks horrible. And the track performance is hopefully better than with the 650s.

Well you it sure beats any 911 in the originality department... Not everyone's cup of tea but surely in real life it will have an amazing presence. And the performance present a big issue for Porsche, they need to up their game massively.

ISUK:

Similar cab forward, long tail, teardrop canopy elements to both designs. Mclaren have thrown a lot more aero onto their car obviously but the similarities are quite striking in terms of outline shape.

720 vs Pagani.JPG

Those were my thoughts exactly. 

IMO the McL is technically a great car. but man the front looks horrible. I do like it from where the headlights end and back. 

And Zenvo ST1 headlights blush

It will only look ok in all black such that those horrendous headlights are somewhat hidden 

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Looks and sounds great in this video. I think it's going to be another car that just looks way better in real life than pictures. It also looks much better with the actual lights on.

https://720s.mclaren.com/gb?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_content=p14_item1_cta&utm_campaign=p14_CRM_reveal_96...

1488946771385Capture.JPG

noone1:

Track times for the 720s on normal tires will be quicker than the LT on its Trofeos.

Maybe the car also looks better in real. But these pictures are a bit strange. As posted above, maybe black looks better as it hides these front lights more...

SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Well you it sure beats any 911 in the originality department... Not everyone's cup of tea but surely in real life it will have an amazing presence. And the performance present a big issue for Porsche, they need to up their game massively.

Are you sure about the GT2RS, for example (the RS will be a bit slower 0-300, probably, but also quicker on the track, potentially)?

GT2 RS will be very quick on the track, except it won't be half as good everywhere else, not to mention the 720S will have a spider variant that is exactly the same performance. When you need a hardcore track day car just to compete with the cruiser from other companies, let alone a convertible, then yes, you need to up your game if you really want to compete at that level.

Then again, maybe Porsche just don't care to compete with exotics. It's not their niche and it never has been. They do just fine with what they're doing. At the end of the day, they don't care about being the best, they care about making money.

noone1:

GT2 RS will be very quick on the track, except it won't be half as good everywhere else, not to mention the 720S will have a spider variant that is exactly the same performance. When you need a hardcore track day car just to compete with the cruiser from other companies, let alone a convertible, then yes, you need to up your game if you really want to compete at that level.

Then again, maybe Porsche just don't care to compete with exotics. It's not their niche and it never has been. They do just fine with what they're doing. At the end of the day, they don't care about being the best, they care about making money.

Well said - tough crowd indeed. To question the performance seems nothing short of bizarre when you consider the outgoing model is still faster than anything short of a hypercar.

I'm unsure about the lights though, and look forward to seeing it tomorrow - I suspect it'll work better in real life.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

To question the performance seems nothing short of bizarre when you consider the outgoing model is still faster than anything short of a hypercar.

Did you read the Sportauto tests Smiley They were not so positive (650/675LT).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690926 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410099 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775056 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM