Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: TURBO pics

7a

8a

9a

10a

11a

Great pics,thanks

12a

13a

14a

15a

16a

17a

18a

Here's a few I didn't post yet.

z

z2

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

This caliper looks as big as PCCBs

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Hey Al!
    Thanks! Miss you guys.
    Yup. Decided to go with the Turbo Cab. Not going to wait for the S Cab. The design of the Turbo is going to make a sick looking Convertible.

How bout you?

Yes, I'm still in line with my dealer for a 997TT-they've got me covered for the TCab and TSCab, even the GT2 if I wanted. I think I'm holding out for the TSCab, unless you and everyone else with a TCab convince me with your rave reviews and pics next spring that it's not worth the wait-presumably the TCab will be in your hands by then.

I probably will eschew the GT2-I have a Noble M400 being assembled in Indianapolis as we speak for my summer thrash coupe and track club fun at Watkins Glen-no racing though-and, if you look at my signature, I cranked up my 2005 996TSCab that you attracted me to last summer with your excellent pics of the same car (triple black with tons of CF) at Brandywine Porsche. Mine now has 600 peak HP from Evolution Motorsports' stage 4 tuning package, with new headers, silicone hoses, billet aluminum diverter valves, Venturi flow airbox, ECU chip from GIAC, with the Milltek exhaust and Sachs clutch (to handle the prodigious torque-peaks out over 620 lb-ft at 4,000rpm's). A local mechanic did the install. Man, what a blast, it's good for 0-100mph in the 7's, the quarter in the low 11's. So I'm "pacified" enough with the 996TSCab and my impending Noble to await the 997TSCab...unless you guys convince me otherwise.

If you already have that monster of a cab than why get a 997tts cab? Get the coupe and give it 600 hp, that with your current cab and a noble 400, what a collection!

Quote:
    trip said:
    If you already have that monster of a cab than why get a 997tts cab? Get the coupe and give it 600 hp, that with your current cab and a noble 400, what a collection!

Yeah, all sorts of possibilities have flown through my head, from that approach, to getting a GT2 (but I would probably turn it into a Christmas ornament for a roadside pine tree ), but I think the VTG's have incredible potential, and I suspect Porsche is being very reasonably cautious with their launch base model with the VTG's-as much as we remain bewildered that they pegged peak power shy of 500 ponies. But simple dialing up of the boost (and maybe an extra 0.2L displacement-maybe not, that 3.6L powerplant for the turbo has a great longevity record and can handle 600peak HP so getting the 997TTS/GT2 up into the 500's would be easily within tolerability limits) could quickly add power, even at low rev's with the VTG's.

I am also interested in the possible PDK introduction. And I am NOT anti-Tiptronic, I just wonder how well the Tip can handle downshifting in manual mode versus PDK. And I think PDK could be even a little faster than the new Tip, and will have an extra gear than Tip. Plus, I just love the combo. of the old 996TurboS's parabolic turbo-laggy power curve that kicks in like mad with the boost dialed up in the K24's, and with the 6-speed manual, the car is my own personal carnival ride, therefore, it's a keeper. So, yes, I might be one of only a few Porsche owners (at least around here) with two TSCab's. But since I won't track a Porsche (various insurance/warranty/financial reasons), I'll probably stick with another Cab. But yes, my dealer would likely oblige me with a 997TSCoupe spot if I asked.

Perhaps we will all have the first few tuning packages for a 997TT to compare to Porsche's 997TTS/GT2 power upgrades when the latter models are released. So I have plenty of time to change my mind.

Stradale, Welcome back. I am keeping the convertible and getting the slower manual TT coupe , Sept build. Should be a fun wait. Dealer had only one allocation for July build and some guy had his name in the damn list since 2004 so I guess I won't be driving in July.

great pics. thanks.

Guys,thanks for all this pics!

Looks great!!

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It is!
    Now that the steel brake have 6 piston front calipers the calipers are as big as the PCCB's. That's actually the first question I had for the rep yesterday. He said the front & rear calipers on the steel brake setup & the PCCB's are the same size. I'm still uncertain about whether I will order PCCB's or not. I probably will, love them on my CS.

btw: If anyone's interested in my 997 S cabriolet I will be putting up for sale shortly. The car is perfect, probably better than new because it's already had the proper break-in and has 3M armour profesionally installed.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Hey Al!
    Thanks! Miss you guys.
    Yup. Decided to go with the Turbo Cab. Not going to wait for the S Cab. The design of the Turbo is going to make a sick looking Convertible.

How bout you?

Yes, I'm still in line with my dealer for a 997TT-they've got me covered for the TCab and TSCab, even the GT2 if I wanted. I think I'm holding out for the TSCab, unless you and everyone else with a TCab convince me with your rave reviews and pics next spring that it's not worth the wait-presumably the TCab will be in your hands by then.

I probably will eschew the GT2-I have a Noble M400 being assembled in Indianapolis as we speak for my summer thrash coupe and track club fun at Watkins Glen-no racing though-and, if you look at my signature, I cranked up my 2005 996TSCab that you attracted me to last summer with your excellent pics of the same car (triple black with tons of CF) at Brandywine Porsche. Mine now has 600 peak HP from Evolution Motorsports' stage 4 tuning package, with new headers, silicone hoses, billet aluminum diverter valves, Venturi flow airbox, ECU chip from GIAC, with the Milltek exhaust and Sachs clutch (to handle the prodigious torque-peaks out over 620 lb-ft at 4,000rpm's). A local mechanic did the install. Man, what a blast, it's good for 0-100mph in the 7's, the quarter in the low 11's. So I'm "pacified" enough with the 996TSCab and my impending Noble to await the 997TSCab...unless you guys convince me otherwise.

I recently told my dealer to forget my interest in the Turbo S cab and move my deposit to my Turbo Cab order. I definately will let you know. In terms of timing guess that's not certain yet but I'm the first Turbo Cab order at my dealer. Some other Rennteamers also have 1st orders too so you should get some feedback pretty quick.

I wouldn't be a GT2 Customer. You have more car with your modified 996 Turbo imo. You have everything. 4 seats, all wheel drive & a convertible. That's what I love so much about the Turbo Cab. There's no other car that can offer so much. It's part super car, part kiddy hauler, part everyday commuter even in bad weather and it's a sunny day tanning machine and back road carver. Can't beat it........ GT2 for the track ???? I'd buy a pre-owned Ferrari CS instead. But anyway if I were you and just purchased a 996 Turbo S cab and made all those mod's recently I'd wait for the 997 S cab. Good luck w/ the Noble, nice car. Glad to hear I helped with your 996 Turbo purchase.

Hey Stradale, thanks for the pictures and welcome back after a long absence. I thought you gave up on us.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It is!
    Now that the steel brake have 6 piston front calipers the calipers are as big as the PCCB's. That's actually the first question I had for the rep yesterday. He said the front & rear calipers on the steel brake setup & the PCCB's are the same size. I'm still uncertain about whether I will order PCCB's or not. I probably will, love them on my CS.

btw: If anyone's interested in my 997 S cabriolet I will be putting up for sale shortly. The car is perfect, probably better than new because it's already had the proper break-in and has 3M armour profesionally installed.

why get PCCBs if the standard brakes on a 997TT is the same size???

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Stradale, Welcome back. I am keeping the convertible and getting the slower manual TT coupe , Sept build. Should be a fun wait. Dealer had only one allocation for July build and some guy had his name in the damn list since 2004 so I guess I won't be driving in July.

Thanks Silver!

I heard the part about the tip being faster up to a certain mph in a straight line according to Porsche. IMO we might see from real world tests the manual will be faster in some cases. I also think the manual will be faster around the track. Even if I'm wrong I wouldn't buy the tip. 99% of all my driving time is NOT full throttle from a stop light. Matter of fact most of my pleasure when driving my 997 S CAB now comes from the gas, clutch. stick. Whether it be taking corners in the right gear or the perfect shift , etc., etc. You could go your whole 997 Turbo ownership and never need the stop light advantage of the tip vs. manual. And if you ever do need that tenth of a second wouldn't you feel a little silly rolling up to the guy you just beat in a drag race by a bumper when he sees you're driving a tip ? Dun no, I would.......... Porsche has one of the best if not THE BEST manuals around in the 997, it's classic. For my tastes I wouldn't substitute it for a tip.
    So when do you expect your car ?

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It is!

why get PCCBs if the standard brakes on a 997TT is the same size???

I thought the standard brakes were the same size as the 996GT2's, 350 mm front and 330 mm rear, while the 997TT PCCB fronts were 380 mm (which was actually also available as an upgrade for the 6-piston brakes on the 996GT2 and even the 996TT, retrofitted with them - the steel variety, of course).

Standard brakes on 997 Turbo front 350mm(6caliper) rear 350mm(4caliper)
    Optional PCCBs front 380mm(6caliper) rear 350mm(4caliper)

This info is both from 997 Turbo brochure and press launch material...
    More info:
    "The standard braking system combines six-piston fixed calipers at the front of the car with newly devised four-piston units at the rear. The red-painted calipers have a monobloc (one-piece) aluminium construction offering greater stability, better 'bite' characteristics under heavy braking, and a further reduction in unsprung weight. The brakes are quick to apply and release, while the pedal travel is short and the bite point precise and consistent.

The front and rear discs have a generous diameter of 350 mm. All four discs are cross-drilled for better performance in the wet. The distinctive drill-hole pattern enables a faster response by allowing rapid dispersal of the water vapour generated under braking. The discs are also internally vented for better heat dispersal. The result: excellent stability in all conditions."

and
    "The new 911 Turbo is also available with an optional high-performance braking system: the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB). Successfully tested in the toughest endurance racing, this unique technology has been further refined for even greater road performance.

The key components in PCCB are the moulded ceramic discs (front/rear diameter: 380 mm/ 350 mm). The larger front discs provide greater leverage and therefore better brake performance. The discs are made from a specially treated carbon-fibre compound that is silicated in a high-vacuum process at 1,700 *C. The resulting material is not only much harder than metal, it is also more resistant to heat.

Even at high temperatures, the thermal resistance of the PCCB disc ensures excellent dimensional stability. The ceramic material is totally resistant to corrosion and offers excellent acoustic damping properties.

The pads are mounted in six-piston monobloc aluminium fixed calipers at the front, with four-piston units at the rear. The resulting brake forces are not only extremely high, they are also exceptionally consistent. The pedal response is fast and precise, with only moderate input required.

The key advantage of PCCB is the total weight saving over comparable metal discs of approximately 50%. As well as enhancing performance and fuel economy, this represents a major reduction in both the unsprung and rotating masses. This, of course, produces additional benefits in terms of comfort and road-holding on uneven road surfaces as well as general handling and agility."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM