Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

That's why the 911 turbo needs to get hybrid tech asap. They might actually lower the sound level even further then and try to make it cool. I have seen many TT in the city and can't say if they sound good or bad, because at normal speeds you can't hear them. Between that, the boring interior, the mildly boring exterior and the very dull colors the car usually are seen in (silver, black, white), it could be the best performing car on the planet, many wouldn't even care.

However for people who can own very few cars, that needs stealth and that need a DD, the 911 turbo can be interesting. It is a great package but with compromises. A choice from the head, not from the heart.

Herbaliser:
    RC:
     Smiley They cannot sound worse than the 991 Turbo S though. Smiley Smiley

--

In the last couple of days I've been driving my 991.1 Turbo S cab with the top down which used to do the trick of making the car more fun sound wise. Unfortunately next to the 488 the magic is gone. It is day and night. Even brutal accelerations fail to produce any king of sound-driven emotion. The 488 also made the turbo lag of the 991.1 more apparent. After my experience with the 488 I am very positive about V8 turbo engines. Ferrari has proved that they can have great sound and almost no lag so I am sure that McLaren could produce similar results. Unfortunately Porsche is not offering any engine configuration that is exciting to me. Next to the 488 or the Huracan even the GT3 RS is not so impressive combination of sound and power.

Told you... Smiley

The 911 Turbo S is an amazing car but it is not as attractive as the competition anymore. Unless you are looking for something unspectacular but hyper fast to move you comfortably from A to B.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:
    RC:

--

In the last couple of days I've been driving my 991.1 Turbo S cab with the top down which used to do the trick of making the car more fun sound wise. Unfortunately next to the 488 the magic is gone. It is day and night. Even brutal accelerations fail to produce any king of sound-driven emotion.

Don't you feel any other sensations - other than sound? The 488 is a great car. However, the total package of 991.2 turbo s Cabriolet (I can only judge the .2 version) and 488GTS is on the same level. Both cars have different advantages/disadvantages though. Different characters.

Seriously? Markus, are you getting old? Smiley Smiley The 488 Spider is in a different league than the 991.2 Turbo S Cab...maybe you should schedule a meet with CR and learn it the hard way. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

My 991.2 Turbo S should arive in 6 weeks so the comparison is inevitable but based  on my test drive it will be an even better supercar daily driver...but nothing close to the 488. Let me be clear - the build quality of the 488 is not at 911 level and it's not the perfectionist car. The 911 is. But it's a different league of emotions, no doubt about it. 

Not feelin that color.

Oh dear...what did they do....it looks wrong

--

Tesla Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab & 2014 BMW X5 & 2014 BMW i3 2017 - Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

The one I saw is in white looks amazing, this colour isn't a good colour though....  

but picture can not justify the look of this car.... have to see it in person.  

I expected to be strange looking at the front, but this is just fuggly! 

So much fuss in the recent weeks and finally this??? Lol

New Hyundai or Infinity  smiley

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Porsche-headlights.jpg

Need to wait for the official images. The colors and lighting in that photo are pretty terrible.

SciFrog:

That's why the 911 turbo needs to get hybrid tech asap. They might actually lower the sound level even further then and try to make it cool. I have seen many TT in the city and can't say if they sound good or bad, because at normal speeds you can't hear them. Between that, the boring interior, the mildly boring exterior and the very dull colors the car usually are seen in (silver, black, white), it could be the best performing car on the planet, many wouldn't even care.

However for people who can own very few cars, that needs stealth and that need a DD, the 911 turbo can be interesting. It is a great package but with compromises. A choice from the head, not from the heart.

In Europe, the turbo is mostly driven by old money and successful business people, i.e. people who prefer understatement to show-off style... You get the best - and still you come across somehow classic and elegant. You can never get this in a Lamborghini, for example Smiley

BTW, regarding "boring interior": I don't know another sportscar with an interior that can match the perfection of a 991... The 488 (or 812) look more fascinating - but the usability and also the quality of navigation, sound system is less good. Lamborghini - not even want to talk about it. The existing McLaren's (720s might be different)? Good joke. I.e., you can either go for some "fancy looking" that is crap technically speaking or you get the "traditional" 991 style with best of class features and functionality.

In summary, all the above shows the difference between theory ("I frequently see car xyz") and practice, i.e. owning/driving a car Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:
    RC:

--

In the last couple of days I've been driving my 991.1 Turbo S cab with the top down which used to do the trick of making the car more fun sound wise. Unfortunately next to the 488 the magic is gone. It is day and night. Even brutal accelerations fail to produce any king of sound-driven emotion.

Don't you feel any other sensations - other than sound? The 488 is a great car. However, the total package of 991.2 turbo s Cabriolet (I can only judge the .2 version) and 488GTS is on the same level. Both cars have different advantages/disadvantages though. Different characters.

Seriously? Markus, are you getting old? Smiley Smiley The 488 Spider is in a different league than the 991.2 Turbo S Cab...maybe you should schedule a meet with CR and learn it the hard way. Smiley

That is nonsense, Christian. I know both cars very well. Not from theory but from practice. 

P.S.: When did you do the last direct comparison of 488GTS and 991.2 turbo S, meaning driving both cars for several hours and switching back and forth between the cars? See the problem now Smiley

Herbaliser:

My 991.2 Turbo S should arive in 6 weeks so the comparison is inevitable but based  on my test drive it will be an even better supercar daily driver...but nothing close to the 488. Let me be clear - the build quality of the 488 is not at 911 level and it's not the perfectionist car. The 911 is. But it's a different league of emotions, no doubt about it. 

Build quality of the 488 seems pretty good, from what I know so far. Emotions in the 488 come across more intense when you do a short test drive. However, when you own both you will (probably) notice that both cars have a comparable emotional quality depending on the day you want to use them Smiley

Topspeed:

This is really a horrible picture... I hope other pictures will be available on the Internet soon to get a more complete picture...

Topspeed:

May I reapeat my post from January, 27th:

Wow, they've exchanged the ugly front with another ugly front. mail

SmileySmileySmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:

Build quality of the 488 seems pretty good, from what I know so far. Emotions in the 488 come across more intense when you do a short test drive. However, when you own both you will (probably) notice that both cars have a comparable emotional quality depending on the day you want to use them Smiley

Not really, there are some small and some not so small details that remind you that this is an Italian car. In just a few weeks I covered 3000 km with my 488 across Europe and my observations are based on switching my cars, the 991.1 Turbo S Cab, the 488 and the GT3 RS on a daily basis in all kinds of environment....

But back to the McLaren. I've just decided that I will not buy non-carbon-fiber open top cars anymore and that the 720S Spyder would be a great solution and now this ugly front might ruin the prospect of getting one.

Herbaliser:
    MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:

Not really, there are some small and some not so small details that remind you that this is an Italian car. 

Which quality issues did you incur?

Herbaliser:
    MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:

Not really, there are some small and some not so small details that remind you that this is an Italian car. In just a few weeks I covered 3000 km with my 488 across Europe and my observations are based on switching my cars, the 991.1 Turbo S Cab, the 488 and the GT3 RS on a daily basis in all kinds of environment....

But back to the McLaren. I've just decided that I will not buy non-carbon-fiber open top cars anymore and that the 720S Spyder would be a great solution and now this ugly front might ruin the prospect of getting one.

You will probably like the 991.2 much better than the 991.1 Smiley BTW, why did you order the 991.2 if you are so bored by Porsche Smiley

MKSGR:

You will probably like the 991.2 much better than the 991.1 Smiley BTW, why did you order the 991.2 if you are so bored by Porsche Smiley

There's a plastic part between the dashboard and the windscreen that is already rattling. I don't even want to tell how I fixed it temporarily because it is embarrassing. Small thing, probably could happen to any car but not inspiring confidence in an otherwise great interior. 

A very close inspection of the body panels reveals some very small misalignments. Not really visible but it is telling about the production process differences between Porsche and Ferrari. 

As for why I am getting a new Turbo S - it is my daily driver, for every season, weather and occasion. The 488 gets a lot of attention and it is useless in the wet. 

Herbaliser:

Smiley

--

Herbaliser:
    MKSGR:

As for why I am getting a new Turbo S - it is my daily driver, for every season, weather and occasion. The 488 gets a lot of attention and it is useless in the wet. 

My suspicion would be: if you used the 488 daily it will be as emotional as the turbo s. In your case, the difference is that you use one car daily (and get used to it) - and the other car in rarer occasions (which makes it feel more special). That is quite normal perception for every human being...

Drive a 488...  Even if the interior quality level is not the same as 991.2 Turbo S, the design and look... angel

As a daily driver, especially in certain regions (incl. Germany), the 991 Turbo S is perfect. No doubt.

--

RC:

Drive a 488...  Even if the interior quality level is not the same as 991.2 Turbo S, the design and look... angel

As a daily driver, especially in certain regions (incl. Germany), the 991 Turbo S is perfect. No doubt.

Did you read my above posts? How can you get to the conclusion I have not driven a 488 extensively Smiley

So how can you say that it will get as boring as a 991.2 Turbo S?   

Unless of course you prefer Dvorak over Bruno Mars. Smiley Smiley

--

This is the MCLAREN 720S!: http://youtu.be/IZ0IhkGSXN0

720s is technically a brilliant sportscar. But, design is a big no, no for me.

RC:

So how can you say that it will get as boring as a 991.2 Turbo S?   

Common sense. While I do not have my 488 yet I owned several Ferraris. They all had this effect. They are most fascinating if you don't use them too often Smiley

Well sad to say it does not look any better from that other angle either, what ever look they went for, it didn't work out, surpriused they gave it the green light. Those "holes" around the headlights, look unfinished and completely distort the front, and that nose so far up off the ground with that long chin bellow, that is not lighting or color related either., and the elongated uneventful rear half... Lamborghinis are even starting to look very good now in comparison...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Lots of holes for rabbits and stuff to get stuck in... Would like to see the car for real. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM