Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Jusr returned from the "Turbo Lounge"

The 997tt design is much more impressive in person than in the pictures. There are subtle touches that show the kind of refinement I had hoped for. For example, the air inlets on the rear fenders appear more integrated than in the 996, the air ducts at the bottom of the fender are nicely styled and don't look like someone took a can opener to the bottom of the fender. The rear spoiler is more forceful and again more refined looking than that of the 996tt. The biggest surprise to me were the wheels - they looked much nicer in person. Two cars were present - an arctic silver with black leather and a basalt with black/terracota. The latter car was really dramatic and elegant looking; the former car was much less impressive looking IMO. The 997tt looks best in dark colors.

The main thing that pictures I've seen can't convey is the three dimensional, forceful appearance. It looks like a car to be reckoned with. It looks just great in person.

As far as the answers to our questions. I got some answers but I have to set the reference point. The Turbo Lounge was staffed with young PCNA marketing and public relations persons - they were very nice and personable but I was not likely to get any "inside info" from them.

I asked about the justification of the price of the turbo in light of the Z06. I got the same answers that we give to that vette guy that comes over to annoy us. The PCNA rep stated the quality of the 997tt, that it isn't mass produced like the Z06 and that whereas the Z06 is very fast on dry roads or track, as soon as you put some real world road hazards like rain or snow, there is no contest.

We talked about the debate between tip and 6 speed. Most of the people there favored the 6 speed. All of the PCNA reps agreed that the tip was slightly faster but the 6 speed was more fun. Nothing new here.

About PDK - Porsche is just not ready yet and it's still at least 2 years out.

A turbo cab is at least a year away and the Turbo S's are at least 2 years away. They said we should use the 996tt as an example for when releases might occur - the S came towards the end of the product cycle.

The launch cars will be in dealers' hands on June 24 and they can start delivering them at that time.

The inside of the wheels are treated with an anthracite (deep grey) paint that does not correspond to any of the classic Porsche colors but rather is a nice contrast. The rep told me that brake dust discoloration and difficulty in removing brake dust should be a thing of the past.

Sounded like MP3, Ipod, SAT and Bluetooth are years away still.

they will adapt the electronic awd to the Carreras, but no info when that might occur.

RC is quite right about how Porsche stays in touch with what is said on Rennteam. All the guys "know" of RC and seem to read what is said on Rennteam.com.

The transmission is not the Aisin but rather the MB and it does default to second gear when started from rest.

Re: Jusr returned from the "Turbo Lounge"

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    The 997tt design is much more impressive in person than in the pictures. There are subtle touches that show the kind of refinement I had hoped for. For example, the air inlets on the rear fenders appear more integrated than in the 996, the air ducts at the bottom of the fender are nicely styled and don't look like someone took a can opener to the bottom of the fender. The rear spoiler is more forceful and again more refined looking than that of the 996tt. The biggest surprise to me were the wheels - they looked much nicer in person. Two cars were present - an arctic silver with black leather and a basalt with black/terracota. The latter car was really dramatic and elegant looking; the former car was much less impressive looking IMO. The 997tt looks best in dark colors.

The main thing that pictures I've seen can't convey is the three dimensional, forceful appearance. It looks like a car to be reckoned with. It looks just great in person.

As far as the answers to our questions. I got some answers but I have to set the reference point. The Turbo Lounge was staffed with young PCNA marketing and public relations persons - they were very nice and personable but I was not likely to get any "inside info" from them.

I asked about the justification of the price of the turbo in light of the Z06. I got the same answers that we give to that vette guy that comes over to annoy us. The PCNA rep stated the quality of the 997tt, that it isn't mass produced like the Z06 and that whereas the Z06 is very fast on dry roads or track, as soon as you put some real world road hazards like rain or snow, there is no contest.

We talked about the debate between tip and 6 speed. Most of the people there favored the 6 speed. All of the PCNA reps agreed that the tip was slightly faster but the 6 speed was more fun. Nothing new here.

About PDK - Porsche is just not ready yet and it's still at least 2 years out.

A turbo cab is at least a year away and the Turbo S's are at least 2 years away. They said we should use the 996tt as an example for when releases might occur - the S came towards the end of the product cycle.

The launch cars will be in dealers' hands on June 24 and they can start delivering them at that time.

The inside of the wheels are treated with an anthracite (deep grey) paint that does not correspond to any of the classic Porsche colors but rather is a nice contrast. The rep told me that brake dust discoloration and difficulty in removing brake dust should be a thing of the past.

Sounded like MP3, Ipod, SAT and Bluetooth are years away still.

they will adapt the electronic awd to the Carreras, but no info when that might occur.

RC is quite right about how Porsche stays in touch with what is said on Rennteam. All the guys "know" of RC and seem to read what is said on Rennteam.com.

The transmission is not the Aisin but rather the MB and it does default to second gear when started from rest.

Thanks for the great info! Any word on the powerkit?

Quote:
    I got the same answers that we give to that vette guy that comes over to annoy us.

LOL

cheers . thanks.

Thanks Alan, My wife and Daughter are in Manhattan today looking at schools (NYU) and I was going to send them over to snap a couple of picture. But alas they would rather go shopping. So thanks, it is great to here fromm someone who has seen one in the flesh. I cant wait.

Rich

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    The biggest surprise to me were the wheels - they looked much nicer in person.

I think the perception of those wheels will change when more people realize that they are forged, not just cast.

I'm surprised that that fact is not "pushed " more in the publicity for the car.

Did they allow cameras?

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    Thanks Alan, My wife and Daughter are in Manhattan today looking at schools (NYU) and I was going to send them over to snap a couple of picture. But alas they would rather go shopping. So thanks, it is great to here fromm someone who has seen one in the flesh. I cant wait.

Rich

lol good luck with asking them that

Yes they allowed cameras in the Lounge

but I just kept shooting pictures of the PCNA gals

Re: Yes they allowed cameras in the Lounge

Hey maybe one of those PCAN girls was my daughter or wife! Wathc yourself LOL

easy to tell PCNA personnel

handsome young men in expensive looking dark suits
    attractive young women in expensive looking dark suits
    cusotmers (like me) seemed to be all men dressed in ratty looking jeans.

But those jeans are filled with "green" and those PCNA folks knew it well!

Re: easy to tell PCNA personnel

thanks Alan!

Re: easy to tell PCNA personnel

Thanks for the report, Alan. I was planning to attend to get some technical answers regarding certain options, but it sounds from your description that the PCNA reps in attendance aren't that well informed. What do you think? Does anyone there have first-hand experience with the turbo or is all their knowledge 2nd/3rd hand?

I think they are well informed

but they are not engineers - some claim to have seat time in the turbo - if you have a chance to go, I would.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Post 'em here.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Post 'em here.

Yes, please.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

The inside of the wheels are treated with an anthracite (deep grey) paint that does not correspond to any of the classic Porsche colors but rather is a nice contrast.

Thanks a lot Alan,this is what i need to know!

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    The 997tt design is much more impressive in person than in the pictures......The biggest surprise to me were the wheels - they looked much nicer in person...... The 997tt looks best in dark colors.

After reading so much posts full of criticism regarding the TT's styling here on Rennteam (most opinions based on pics only of course) I have been positively surprised about the car's "in the flesh appearance" when I saw some TTs at the factory pickup up my own 987 S two weeks ago. I fully have to agree with Alan's description of the three dimensional forceful appearance. I also agree that this baby is asking for dark colours. I saw a plain black TT at the factory yard - it looked just stunning Unfortunately I have been caught by the "Werksschutz" while taking some nice pics, so that I had to delete all of them from my digicam
    Only one downturn: I saw (and heard) some 6 or 7 TT's driving near the factory (of course at low city speeds) and soundwise something has been missing to complement the car's strong visual appearance IMO (maybe the typical "Turbo-problem" ).
    Anyway: this baby looks great in the flesh - especially in any dark colour IMO - I'm sure that nobody of the lucky one's having ordered one will suffer from buyer's remorse regarding it's styling (just my 2 cents).

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Only one downturn: I saw (and heard) some 6 or 7 TT's driving near the factory (of course at low city speeds) and soundwise something has been missing to complement the car's strong visual appearance IMO (maybe the typical "Turbo-problem" ).
    Anyway: this baby looks great in the flesh - especially in any dark colour IMO - I'm sure that nobody of the lucky one's having ordered one will suffer from buyer's remorse regarding it's styling (just my 2 cents).

I hope that I don't feel too bad going from PSE "all the time" to the exhaust sound of the 997TT. I heard on this forum the possiblity of PSE for the 997TT. I hope that's true.

Unfortunately it is true, the standard 997 Turbo exhaust doesn't sound too impressive. I'd say that the 997 Turbo exhaust sound is slightly "below" 997 Carrera sound level, especially in the lower but also in the higher rev range.
    A sport exhaust is rumored based on the claim of Weissach boss Mr. Dürheimer in an interview for a german newspaper.
    I hope he is right because to be honest, NONE of our sources had a clue about this.
    Due to the VTG technology, I'm a little bit sceptical about possible aftermarket solutions, especially cheap ones.

To Alan: thanks a lot for the report.
    Yes, I always wear pretty casual stuff too, incl. jeans (is there anything else out there? ). So you can imagine how I always feel when I meet these guys/women in those nice dresses. This is actually the best way to tell the sales people/press guys from customers. I'm happy to hear that it is the same in the US too because every time I go there on vacation, we meet a lot of nicely dressed people at our hotels. My wife always feels underdressed but apparently most of these people are "just" employees of various companies and they have to attend business meetings/launch/dinner at the hotel. Last time a bunch of Swatch employees were at our hotel.

Forgot one other piece of information that I "learned"

The reason for the LED's up front, but not in the rear is a safety matter. The PCNA fellow told me that the engineers believe that the LED's have to narrow a light spread. This means that you are easily able to see the brake lights if you are directly behind, but the light intensity falls off rapidly as you move off-axis. A new optical system will have to be developed to make LED's an effective brake light system for high performance vehicles (and it's being worked on).

A comment from someone who makes his living using optics and directed light (me) - it ain't rocket science, believe me.

Re: Forgot one other piece of information that I "learned"

There are already some cars out there with rear LED lights, that's why people are wondering why Porsche, a high end said technology innovator, hasn't used them yet. Anyway they probably don't even develop it themselves...

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    The reason for the LED's up front, but not in the rear is a safety matter. The PCNA fellow told me that the engineers believe that the LED's have to narrow a light spread. This means that you are easily able to see the brake lights if you are directly behind, but the light intensity falls off rapidly as you move off-axis. A new optical system will have to be developed to make LED's an effective brake light system for high performance vehicles (and it's being worked on).

A comment from someone who makes his living using optics and directed light (me) - it ain't rocket science, believe me.

Alan, you fell for it...the Carrera GT has LED rear lights. I wonder... Personally, I heard it was a matter of cost/looks (not everybody likes them) and the possibility to offer something new for a facelift.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Alan, you fell for it...the Carrera GT has LED rear lights. I wonder... Personally, I heard it was a matter of cost/looks (not everybody likes them) and the possibility to offer something new for a facelift.

Even cars like the Honda Accords and Hyundaes have LEDs. It's inexcusable for Porsche not to have them on a new 2007 model.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Even cars like the Honda Accords and Hyundaes have LEDs. It's inexcusable for Porsche not to have them on a new 2007 model.

I don't care too much about other cars having them, including BMW, Mercedes, Audi and others. I care about the fact that the designers used LED technology for the front turning lights but not for the backlights. This somehow doesn't make ANY sense to me. Introducing a somehow new thing (LED turning lights) but leaving away the already available LED backlights?! Weird.

Now, that makes sense

I forgot that the CGT has rear LED's - if I had remembered I would have challenged my young PCNA friend's hypothesis

Re: Now, that makes sense

Alan, thx for very informative summary of your impressions

Per P website, doesn't 997TT have LED 3rd brake light (the one on the wing)?

Also, one question, w/what tires are 997TT's equipped...some Mich PS2 (or 3?) customized per P factory specs?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Unfortunately it is true, the standard 997 Turbo exhaust doesn't sound too impressive. I'd say that the 997 Turbo exhaust sound is slightly "below" 997 Carrera sound level, especially in the lower but also in the higher rev range.
    A sport exhaust is rumored based on the claim of Weissach boss Mr. Dürheimer in an interview for a german newspaper.
    I hope he is right because to be honest, NONE of our sources had a clue about this.
    Due to the VTG technology, I'm a little bit sceptical about possible aftermarket solutions, especially cheap ones.

To Alan: thanks a lot for the report.
    Yes, I always wear pretty casual stuff too, incl. jeans (is there anything else out there? ). So you can imagine how I always feel when I meet these guys/women in those nice dresses. This is actually the best way to tell the sales people/press guys from customers. I'm happy to hear that it is the same in the US too because every time I go there on vacation, we meet a lot of nicely dressed people at our hotels. My wife always feels underdressed but apparently most of these people are "just" employees of various companies and they have to attend business meetings/launch/dinner at the hotel. Last time a bunch of Swatch employees were at our hotel.

Must admit I've often groused re: the "silent assassin" exhaust note of 996TTS (esp after previously using a couple of SL55s as daily commuter cars)...however, I've recently become more ambivalent re: exhaust notes for couple of reasons....one, IMO 997TT is the epitome of the old-money, engineer's daily and wkend sportscar, a true "silent assassin" that very few cars (at any price) can match quant/qual in both straight-line and twisties in both dry/wet conds w/arguably world's best active/passive safety...so a quiet exhaust note fits w/the ethos of the car

Second, know of a couple of instances where individuals driving 430s in a spirited, but entirely safe&reasonable manner, were actually called-in and reported by fellow motorists to CHP, w/part of the report incl alleged correls btwn db level and purported speed.....as usual, CHP was entirely reasonable re: these absurd allegations , but one may want to conserve the "benefit of the doubt"....

"ambivalent re: exhaust notes"

same here - with so many Hondas, Subies, etc sporting aftermarket loud exhausts and trying to sound like Ferraris, I don't mind if my tt is a little more refined.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Porsche has higher standards than other manufacturers. Many mainstream manufacturers will rush out a new feature if it brings a significant marketing advantage. Porsche often prefers to wait until the technology actually works 100%.

Remember how the E-class came out loaded with new electronic gizmos, which proved a reliabilty disaster? Remember how the first F1 and SMG transmissions were jerky and ate clutches in just a few thousand miles?
    Porsche isn't 100% perfect either in this regard (first-generation PCCB comes to mind), but they do have a better track record.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Porsche has higher standards than other manufacturers. Many mainstream manufacturers will rush out a new feature if it brings a significant marketing advantage. Porsche often prefers to wait until the technology actually works 100%.

Remember how the E-class came out loaded with new electronic gizmos, which proved a reliabilty disaster? Remember how the first F1 and SMG transmissions were jerky and ate clutches in just a few thousand miles?
    Porsche isn't 100% perfect either in this regard (first-generation PCCB comes to mind), but they do have a better track record.

Oh yes, the E-class electronic brake fiasco. If the system failed, it took 100 METRES to stop the car from 100 km/h!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442162 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263028 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261314 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5770 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817046 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM