Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tiptronic!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    At least here in the US, the tiptronic has typically been the choice for women and male hairdressers, and the 6 speed manual has been the choice for men. No way am I spending $150K on a Porsche and getting an automatic. I don't care if the tip is 0.8 seconds faster than the manual, I'm getting the manual.

NOW we're getting to the bottom of the truth.
    I mentioned such a guess in an earlier post, when I tried to explain the difference between manual and Tiptronic performance in a more serious way. But apparently the decision regarding manual or Tiptronic is more influenced by male body parts than common sense.

This is why I used the Paris Hilton example, I thought some people may finally understand the benefit of Tiptronic in the 997 Turbo. I tried it the classic way, using technical arguments, explaining, trying to question the difference between the 997 Tiptronic and a real sequential shifting system...no luck.

My personal philosophy: what makes me fast, makes me happy. I don't care if I have to use a stick, a few buttons or even my throttle foot as long as I can get to the limit of the car's performance. The transmission is just some sort of "translation device" between my brain and the car's engine, so I couldn't care less about the way I'm actually handling it,no matter if foot, hands or an electronic black box in the 997 Turbo.
    You can never experience the REAL capability of a car at the limit if you consider having fun just moving a stupid stick up and down and pressing a clutch pedal. Real fun is to experience the car at the limit and as a non-professional driver, I welcome ANY "help" from the car to help me to achieve that. You're not more or less of a man if you achieve record times with a manual or Tiptronic.
    Or maybe this helps: it doesn't matter how you win, it matters that you win. I'm pretty sure that if somebody with Tip passes the finish line first, people will say: hey, this guy is a pussy, he drives Tiptronic. Forget it...the winner takes it all.

And seriously: I'm still waiting to hear why somebody using Tip on the 997 Turbo wouldn't be a man but somebody using a sequential shifting system on the same car would?!

Guys, I'm afraid many of you still didn't understand: the Tiptronic on the new 997 Turbo isn't just a simple automatic tranny, it is part of a WHOLE NETWORKED SYSTEM, delivering for the first time an outstanding performance.
    Maybe Porsche made the mistake to name it Tiptronic, instead they should have named it S-Tronic (like Audi), give it shifting paddles instead of the buttons and voila...men can be men again, without the need of Viag...oops...a manual stick.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Im glad to see there is still strong support for the 6 spd after all the stupid tip propaganda. I feel sorry for those duped into buying the tip. Suckers...

I hope you think the same when Paris Hilton stands at the red light next to you in her white 997 Turbo Tiptronic.

Trip,

If you ever find yourself in that position, let her go.

You don't know where she's been.

Quote:
    fritz said:

Or what she has under her hood...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I agree too. 6spd is such a better driving experience that I wouldn't care if my car was a few tenths slower. Where exactly are all these 911 Turbo drag races going to be taking place that I keep hearing about? Sounds a bit silly to me...

Well Grant, you now know what all those grannies get up to in those gated senior citizen communities in places like Arizona.

They can't play golf and bingo ALL the time!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    At least here in the US, the tiptronic has typically been the choice for women and male hairdressers, and the 6 speed manual has been the choice for men. No way am I spending $150K on a Porsche and getting an automatic. I don't care if the tip is 0.8 seconds faster than the manual, I'm getting the manual.

I mentioned such a guess in an earlier post, when I tried to explain the difference between manual and Tiptronic performance in a more serious way. But apparently the decision regarding manual or Tiptronic is more influenced by male body parts than common sense.

This is why I used the Paris Hilton example, I thought some people may finally understand the benefit of Tiptronic in the 997 Turbo. I tried it the classic way, using technical arguments, explaining, trying to question the difference between the 997 Tiptronic and a real sequential shifting system...no luck.

My personal philosophy: what makes me fast, makes me happy. I don't care if I have to use a stick, a few buttons or even my throttle foot as long as I can get to the limit of the car's performance. The transmission is just some sort of "translation device" between my brain and the car's engine, so I couldn't care less about the way I'm actually handling it,no matter if foot, hands or an electronic black box in the 997 Turbo.
    You can never experience the REAL capability of a car at the limit if you consider having fun just moving a stupid stick up and down and pressing a clutch pedal. Real fun is to experience the car at the limit and as a non-professional driver, I welcome ANY "help" from the car to help me to achieve that. You're not more or less of a man if you achieve record times with a manual or Tiptronic.
    Or maybe this helps: it doesn't matter how you win, it matters that you win. I'm pretty sure that if somebody with Tip passes the finish line first, people will say: hey, this guy is a pussy, he drives Tiptronic. Forget it...the winner takes it all.

And seriously: I'm still waiting to hear why somebody using Tip on the 997 Turbo wouldn't be a man but somebody using a sequential shifting system on the same car would?!

Guys, I'm afraid many of you still didn't understand: the Tiptronic on the new 997 Turbo isn't just a simple automatic tranny, it is part of a WHOLE NETWORKED SYSTEM, delivering for the first time an outstanding performance.
    Maybe Porsche made the mistake to name it Tiptronic, instead they should have named it S-Tronic (like Audi), give it shifting paddles instead of the buttons and voila...men can be men again, without the need of Viag...oops...a manual stick.

LOL! I would consider Tiptronic if I lived in a heavily traffic-congested area, but as I don't, I don't consider it an option.
    Consider this:
    For us, who drive mostly above 200 km/h, the manual is faster in that range and so a better option.
    Driving below 160 km/h only occurs rarely, when it comes to the straight line. City driving, perhaps.
    A speed below 160 km/h is certainly prevalent on most mountain roads, so this is where the Tip should have the advantage. However, it doesn't. The manual has LSD, and more importantly, the FUN factor.
    To sum it up, even if we discount the straight-line acceleration differences, the manual is simply more fun, at least for me. No better feeling than pushing the shifter into a lower gear and pressing the throttle.
    We have all the technology to make babies, that are healthy, without actually having to resort to the act of sex itself. The technology is also more efficient. However, I don't really think many here would want to do it any other way than the old fashioned way. It's just more fun .

RC, TIP in new 997 Turbo is as you said part of complete networked system. I understand pretty much how it works(pretension during gear changes, etc.) but, problem is that this system is still based on OLD, ONLY 5speed auto box from Mercedes Benz.
    Now, three questions for you:
    1. What will happened with all TIP costumers if Porsche introduce PDK(6speed!!) in one year time?
    2.Why is Porsche offering optional LSD for manual only?
    3.Who is faster around Ring-manual(with LSD) or TIP?

You can drive over 200 kph in Timbuktu?

1. we don't know about the "above 200 kph" performance, all rumors indicate a tiny advantage of 1-2 seconds up to 300 kph (this tiny advantage could vanish if you don't shift fast and efficient enough).
    2. especially on tight tracks, incl. mountain roads, the new Tiptronic delivers in combination with the new electronic AWD system an incredible performance. Just think about it: being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel makes in my opinion a better advantage than the LSD, not to forget about the fact that the AWD reacts much more precise and efficient in combination with the "info" it gets from the Tiptronic and since it can deliver up to 100% of power to one axle...
    3. would you buy a car with a sequential shifting system? Remember: this thing you don't have a stick and a clutch pedal anymore?

I understand many of the concerns raised regarding the Tiptronic. But like I tried to explain in earlier posts: this is the first time that an automatic tranny on a Porsche delivers a better straight line performance than manual. Now everybody should put the holy question: how is that possible? Most people seem to believe that Porsche did that on purpose. Nope, they didn't. The engineers just seem to have found out that a completely networked system (engine/turbo boost, AWD, gearbox, PSM, PTM, etc.) works more efficiently than an "ordinary" system or a system where not all components are networked in such an efficient way. We also seem to forget that we're also dealing with two completely new techologies on the 997 Turbo: VTG and PTM (incl. the new electr. AWD).

For REAL manual fun and track racing, the 997 GT3 and upcoming GT3 RS are surely the better (and apprently, especially in the case of the GT3, the cheaper) choices.
    Wanna a be a man? Get a GT3. Wanna be fast? Get a 997 Turbo with Tip. It can't get simplier.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    Im glad to see there is still strong support for the 6 spd after all the stupid tip propaganda. I feel sorry for those duped into buying the tip. Suckers...

I hope you think the same when Paris Hilton stands at the red light next to you in her white 997 Turbo Tiptronic.

Trip,

You are too funny.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    I agree too. 6spd is such a better driving experience that I wouldn't care if my car was a few tenths slower. Where exactly are all these 911 Turbo drag races going to be taking place that I keep hearing about? Sounds a bit silly to me...

Well Grant, you now know what all those grannies get up to in those gated senior citizen communities in places like Arizona.

I will take on granny at the stoplight in her 997TT Tip anyday against my 997TT manual. I know when the light hits green that I'll be able to floor it before her by at least a few seconds. So there, there goes that 0.8 second advantage of the Tip.

Quote:
    RC said:

1. we don't know about the "above 200 kph" performance, all rumors indicate a tiny advantage of 1-2 seconds up to 300 kph (this tiny advantage could vanish if you don't shift fast and efficient enough).
    2. especially on tight tracks, incl. mountain roads, the new Tiptronic delivers in combination with the new electronic AWD system an incredible performance. Just think about it: being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel makes in my opinion a better advantage than the LSD, not to forget about the fact that the AWD reacts much more precise and efficient in combination with the "info" it gets from the Tiptronic and since it can deliver up to 100% of power to one axle...
    3. would you buy a car with a sequential shifting system? Remember: this thing you don't have a stick and a clutch pedal anymore?

I understand many of the concerns raised regarding the Tiptronic. But like I tried to explain in earlier posts: this is the first time that an automatic tranny on a Porsche delivers a better straight line performance than manual. Now everybody should put the holy question: how is that possible? Most people seem to believe that Porsche did that on purpose. Nope, they didn't. The engineers just seem to have found out that a completely networked system (engine/turbo boost, AWD, gearbox, PSM, PTM, etc.) works more efficiently than an "ordinary" system or a system where not all components are networked in such an efficient way. We also seem to forget that we're also dealing with two completely new techologies on the 997 Turbo: VTG and PTM (incl. the new electr. AWD).

For REAL manual fun and track racing, the 997 GT3 and upcoming GT3 RS are surely the better (and apprently, especially in the case of the GT3, the cheaper) choices.
    Wanna a be a man? Get a GT3. Wanna be fast? Get a 997 Turbo with Tip. It can't get simplier.

1. Yes, I can drive over 200 in Timbuktu, since horsecarts are the only traffic here and lane changes take ages... You didn't really think I lived in Timbuktu, did you?

2. Regarding Tiptronic advantages on twisty roads, I'd actually have to experience it myself, although my ego is big enough to think that I'd be able to be just as fast with the help of LSD .

3. Yes, I would buy a car with a sequential shifter, provided it came with 6 gears and didn't sacrifice performance in one speed range for the other, however miniscule it may be. However, manual is still mein Liebling .

I'd gladly buy the GT3RS and GT2 and be a real manly man, but I'm currently only capable of affording ONE Porsche, so compromises have to be made. Not to mention that both GTs would probably be totalled in about a week .
    Honestly, I'm amazed with what Porsche did with the Tip, but higher weight and the lack of one gear spoil it for me, sorry.
    I guess we all have to agree to disagree and just get what we deem appropriate for our needs.

- Porsche did not have enough time to develop PDK for the launch of 997tt so they opted for Tip inbetween.
    - Tip is a mercedes tranny with twicked software to maximise shift times.. Porsche also included launch control and pre-boost for the first time. Btw apparently manual has pre-boost as well so no advantage there for the tip.
    - Porsche wanted to create on purpose max hype re the performance of the tip because otherwise NOBODY would buy it since the development of PDK is widely known. Now imagine the potential disaster for the factory if this happened after they've ordered so many trannys from merc.. It would be a huge failure especially for the US market.
    - Tip is heavier and only 5 speed. Hence the only advantage imo is going to be at acceleration from standstill because of the launch control. Btw RC "1 or 2" of seconds of advantage of the manual to 300km/h is like 80+ metres of difference per second!!

Above arguments are my personal opinions given my research with people that I consider reliable and very knowledgable regarding P cars. Don't mean to offend anybody but I would really wait for the tests to see whether Porsche is playing once again one of these marketing games to ensure the marketing success of their products.
    Btw, I dont know if anybody realised the other "marketing ploy" of Porsche about the new AWD supposesdly giving up to 100% of power to the front wheels.. This is the bigest BS I ve heard. If you check the technical specs, the front differencial can handle up to 41kg of torque (the engine has around 61kg of max torque pre-overbost). However the front wheels lose traction when fed with more than 31kgs of torque so.. it's more like 40%-50% max in the front (almost like the 996tt). So I guess those P press releases have to be taken with a grain of salt..
    I would wait for a couple of independent tests before commiting to the Tip.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

I will take on granny at the stoplight in her 997TT Tip anyday against my 997TT manual. I know when the light hits green that I'll be able to floor it before her by at least a few seconds. So there, there goes that 0.8 second advantage of the Tip.

Al, I think you may be underestimating the reaction-time honing effect that playing bingo can have on the blue-rinse brigade.

Now that you have thrown out that challenge, we'll expect you to get on the I-10 in your new 997 TT and head east sometime around the end of the year, so you can start looking for where the grannies hang out.
    Twin turbos on Main Street at high noon. Should be quite a showdown.

If you lose, you will have course have to stay in Arizona and take up bingo yourself.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Al, I think you may be underestimating the reaction-time honing effect that playing bingo can have on the blue-rinse brigade.

Oops. Forgot about that.

Quote:
    GT said:
    Porsche also included launch control and pre-boost for the first time.

Launch control for the tiptronic in the 997TT?

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    GT said:

I don't think so.

no launch control. its four wheel drive so just hold the brake, rev the engine and let go......booooooooooom

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Absolutely agree. We share the same philosophy on speed and happiness.

Who cares about what others think, the faster car wins. And the easier to drive the faster car, the better.

Porsche must be doing something special with the tiptronic and VTG to make it faster than the manual version. I look forward to seeing a car that beats the CGT from 0-100km/h.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    GT said:

I don't think so.

Thank you, that's what I thought as well, pre-boost yes but no launch control.

If Porsche was trying to use maketing to sell more merc. trannies why wouldn't they be more available??? Over here in the U.S. only 20% of the new TT's are available in TIP.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    The one thing that I really think is amusing is the whole Tip argument about if the person gets a Tip, they will get smoked by some chick in another TT.

When was the last time you drag raced the same car! If I saw a fellow driver, I would salute him, not invite him into a clenching race to the death!

"En garde fellow compatriot! It is time i demonstrate that my similar model is superior!" Hilarious

Exactly! Why would you try to drag race another Turbo? How often does that happen? And to whoever said they picked it because it was faster and that made it more fun I ask if you think the extra .2 seconds will actually be felt and make it "more fun" I can understand someone buying a tip for traffic and commuter purposes, but as an enthusiast it is a mistake. You will lose interest in the auto and kick yourself for not buying the stick.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Rc while I respect your right to your own opinion especially considering your the one dropping over 120k on the car but I can't disagree more with your opinion of the purpose of a transmision in a car. I find the manual transmision to be the most enjoyable part of driving a car. Its way more than a translation device, it is your interface with the engine of the car. If you apreciate feedback in the steering, why do you neglect the engine feedback fed through the transmision. To me dirving is the interaction between man and machine. The skill it takes to execute proper gear changes or nailing the apex of a corner are what makes driving so enjoyable and differentiate it from a realistic video game. The fact that anyone can be fast in the tip is part of what takes the fun out of it. I think that is the essence of any true enthusiast. As to whoever said "the fastest car wins" I ask wins what? The stoplight grand prix. If so go ahead you can have that trophy Ill stick with the ultimate thrill, ACTUALLY DRIVING THE CAR!!!!!!!

What trip said is the truth, at least from my point of view.
    Where are those times when we made fun of SL55 drivers who had no skill, since they only pressed the gas pedal?

Quote:
    RC said:

RC, I am afraid Crash is right (again).

I have had many thoughts about the TT with the 5 gear Tip over the last weeks.

My conclusion (as before): A very poor compromise.

- 5 gears are not state-of-the-art. The car will have to cover much too wide speed ranges with the available gears. Probably very painful for the driver. If the Tip had 7 gears (like the current AMG models) my expaxtations would be higher. But 5 gears is really old technology - Competing products already come with better technology.
    - Given the very poor gearing of the 5 gear Tip I am convinced that the Tip is MUCH slower above 200kph than manual.
    - I still cannot believe that the TT Tip should be so much better than all Tip systems on the market in terms of driving experience. I still suspect that it is comparably slow on dow-shifts etc. as other systems. Lack of fun is my expectation.
    - PDK would be superior to the old Tip technology in all aspects. The only reason that it is not available is that Porsche did not manage to develop it or did not manage to force its suppliers to have it ready soon enough. As a customer I cannot explain either explenation.

My conclusion:

Quote:
    GT said:
    - Porsche did not have enough time to develop PDK for the launch of 997tt so they opted for Tip inbetween.
    - Tip is a mercedes tranny with twicked software to maximise shift times.. Porsche also included launch control and pre-boost for the first time. Btw apparently manual has pre-boost as well so no advantage there for the tip.
    - Porsche wanted to create on purpose max hype re the performance of the tip because otherwise NOBODY would buy it since the development of PDK is widely known. Now imagine the potential disaster for the factory if this happened after they've ordered so many trannys from merc.. It would be a huge failure especially for the US market.
    - Tip is heavier and only 5 speed. Hence the only advantage imo is going to be at acceleration from standstill because of the launch control. Btw RC "1 or 2" of seconds of advantage of the manual to 300km/h is like 80+ metres of difference per second!!

Above arguments are my personal opinions given my research with people that I consider reliable and very knowledgable regarding P cars. Don't mean to offend anybody but I would really wait for the tests to see whether Porsche is playing once again one of these marketing games to ensure the marketing success of their products.
    Btw, I dont know if anybody realised the other "marketing ploy" of Porsche about the new AWD supposesdly giving up to 100% of power to the front wheels.. This is the bigest BS I ve heard. If you check the technical specs, the front differencial can handle up to 41kg of torque (the engine has around 61kg of max torque pre-overbost). However the front wheels lose traction when fed with more than 31kgs of torque so.. it's more like 40%-50% max in the front (almost like the 996tt). So I guess those P press releases have to be taken with a grain of salt..
    I would wait for a couple of independent tests before commiting to the Tip.

I agree 100% with your post.

I also feel cheated by Porsche. The chance that they lost me as a customer is close to 50%. However, I will wait another 12 months to see whether that chance changes to 0% or 100%.

While I know I am fairly new here, may I hust remind everyone of the moto of our fair website. "Rennteam.com - made by 100% pure sports car enthusiasts" Something tells me we are straying from this with all this tip talk.

Quote:
    trip said:
    The skill it takes to execute proper gear changes or nailing the apex of a corner are what makes driving so enjoyable and differentiate it from a realistic video game. The fact that anyone can be fast in the tip is part of what takes the fun out of it. I think that is the essence of any true enthusiast. As to whoever said "the fastest car wins" I ask wins what? The stoplight grand prix. If so go ahead you can have that trophy Ill stick with the ultimate thrill, ACTUALLY DRIVING THE CAR!!!!!!!

Fastest car wins races as well as my heart. We all have different preferences, obviously.

The fact that anyone can be fast in the tip is exactly why I think it's such a great car!

there is no such thing as pre-boost. its overboost and kicks in after reaching 2,500 rpm. so from standstill you have the same torque as a non sports chrono turbo car.

when an automatic is even faster than a manual, what more can we ask for.
    how many really track their cars and need to get out that 9/10th to feel the difference.

I am sure, that before reaching faster speeds around the track than in the tiptronic version, 99% of us would have gone off the track.

personally when i want to race and get the racing spirit, i put on my sparco suit, shoes, gloves and helmet and get into my racing kart......

when done, i get into my 997 S and cruise home at 60 km/h with a wide grin on my face.

Read here-from 997 Turbo press material:
    "TIPTRONIC S VS. 6-SPEED MANUAL BACKGROUND

Why does the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo equipped with the optional 5-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission accelerate 0.3 seconds faster to 60 mph than the 6-speed manual transmission version?

The optimized interaction between the new all-wheel-drive system, Porsche Traction Management (PTM), Tiptronic S five-speed automatic transmission, and Tiptronic-specific calibration of the engine management controls and associated variable turbine geometry (VTG) system, allows the new 911 Turbo with Tiptronic S to accelerate slightly quicker than models equipped with the manual 6-speed transmission.

Improvements to the Tiptronic S transmission in the latest 911 Turbo contribute to the performance gains. These include:

Earlier ramp-up of boost pressure when 'brake-torquing' the transmission
    Increased torque build-up allowed when brake-torquing
    Reduced shifting- and reaction times

If launched appropriately, a 911 Turbo equipped with Tiptronic S is essentially "pre-tensioned" at the starting line, and during acceleration runs, power-interruptions are reduced in comparison to the 6-speed manual transmission. Aiding acceleration, when paired with Tiptronic S, the all-wheel-drive system with PTM can deliver a nearly uninterrupted flow of torque to all four wheels.

With the manual transmission, engine boost pressure needs to build after clutch engagement, which can require several fractions of a second. Additionally, clutch- and wheel-slip when launching from a standstill can also make it difficult to translate engine torque into the quickest acceleration times.

In terms of providing performance to our customers, the Tiptronic S transmission has made the prodigious abilities of the 911 Turbo more accessible to a wider range of customers. In its evolution, the Tiptronic S now provides certain areas of strength in relation to the 6-speed manual, particularly in standing start acceleration numbers, an area of quantified performance that grows more challenging as peak horsepower levels continue to escalate. For those wishing to challenge themselves on a racetrack, and who prefer the control and selection of the 6-speed, the manual gearbox will remain the transmission of choice."

We love automatic trannys

and Manuel too

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777798 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441928 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85369 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM