Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

nberry:
    martini964:
    nberry:
    mcdelaug:
    nberry:
    mcdelaug:

As to your question, if buying a Porsche for 5K and driving it makes you feel successful then that is what it is. As to how other may see you I cannot answer that question.Smiley

Seems its other way around, its people like you seeing me with bow tie driving the car, doesn't know the history of it,and then consider me as a successful person. But am I a successful ?. its the image you provide and measure others which is wrong. But everybody entitles to his opinion. 

Back OT...

what color is that

I believe graphic blue BORING!

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

I like the rear pic, but the dull black front air intakes should be a different finish

I think someone must have hijacked Nick's account 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I want one.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Carlos from Spain:

Having lived many years on both sides of the Atlantic on different places on each side I can say without a doubt that clearly wealth is much more openly displayed in the US than in Europe, actually that extends to South America too. And it's also more directly associated with the idea of success and status than in EU were other factors (academic education, social family, influence, etc) weigh in to a greater degree to curve that.

At the same time the display of wealth is more accepted and tolerated than in Europe were is can harbor more resentment and negativity from the lower classes but also its a sign of poor taste and nuevo-rich lower class by the upper class.

I believe it all due to but only cultural ideosyncrasies but also political with US being more capitalist.

So what Nick is referring to with cars used as a display of success is somewhat more so in US than in Europe, and more so in new US than in old US, i.e more in places like California than the upper East coast for example.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

true. actually, i would never measure success by money or by the car one drives, the house one owns......i (probably we all) know some very rich people, who easily classify as idiots, or at least as non-descripts - which in my book is not an indication of success in life. in fact, making money involves a lot of luck (i am saying this totally neutrally, nothing negative involved here) and in many cases does not create any added value to the world (which is one measure of real success). in fact, i was pretty lucky myself to have made a little bit of money but i look for my own personal success elsewhere. many people in my professional world are as successful as i am but they were just that little bit less lucky and have missed out on the money-making.

“The New Porsche 911 GT3 Isn't All About Lap Times” (Road & Track)

At least, that's what the man who developed it told us.

(20 March 2017)

Porsche's GT department is changing its tune. Where it previously abandoned the purist-favourite manual transmission for a quicker-shifting PDK, it's now embracing the old school once again.

The GT department, led by Andreas Preuninger, isn't giving up on customers who chase tenths of a second on track, but it's putting in huge effort into winning back the hearts of purists. The manual transmission is back in the GT3, and it signals a big shift at the company.

"We are taking a lot of care about the driving emotion," said Preuninger, in an interview with Road & Track. "Not so much stubbornly, seriously, German-ly chasing lap time, lap time, lap time," he said with a mock stern voice. "At least, that's not my intention anymore."

This is a philosophy that was born from the critically acclaimed – and commercially successful – manual-equipped Cayman GT4 and the 911 R. These two helped Preuninger realize that there are customers for old-school purist cars.

What isn't new for Porsche, though, is the fact that this new GT3 represents a subtle, but noticeable evolution over the car it replaces. The biggest change is the engine, which doesn't seem all that different on paper, but is actually a significant update over the previous GT3's motor.

The engine is an evolution of the 4.0-litre naturally aspirated flat-six used in the 911 GT3 RS, which itself is a stroked version of the last GT3's motor. This new motor is actually largely similar to those used in current 911 race cars, including the brand-new RSR.

It makes 500 hp and 339 lb-ft of torque with a redline of 9000 rpm, which is the same for manual- and PDK-equipped cars. One of the biggest changes is a new, rigid valve-train that doesn't use hydraulic lifters that's simpler than before, and interestingly, is less stiff than a conventional unit. This lack of stiffness means there's less resistance to turn the camshaft, which Preuninger says frees up eight horsepower.

Since there are no hydraulic actuators, the valves only need to be adjusted once, when the engine is built. Otherwise they're good for life. This valve-train also requires less oil pressure and oil volume to run. Preuninger says the previous GT3's 3.8-liter unit requires 120 litres of oil circulating per minute. This new motor only requires 70 litres per minute, meaning there's more power to go to the tires.

For this motor, Preuninger and his team also developed a new intake system, a new oil pump, motorsports-inspired piston rings–made out of what Preuninger calls "Star Trek material"–and coated cylinder sleeves. All of this was done to improve throttle response, low- and mid-range torque and reduce inertia

"This engine for me, hands down, is maybe the best Porsche street engine ever made," said Preuninger.

Even counting the Carrera GT?

"That would be a close second,” Preuninger says with a smile. "The immediacy of this engine is absolutely mind-boggling. From 2000 rpm all the way up to 9000 rpm, it's just a brute."

This engine is hooked up to a choice of two different transmissions – a seven-speed PDK that comes with an electronic differential, and a six-speed manual with a mechanical differential. The manual is an evolution of the new six-speed Preuninger and co developed for the 911 R, but it doesn't share a part number. For the GT3, Porsche changed the flywheel and there's no option to get a single-mass flywheel, as on the R.

The chassis changes for the new GT3 are fairly subtle, but they carry a lot of influence from the 911 R.

"This exercise with the 911 R was such a welcome distraction from all our lap-time hunting," said Preuninger. "We found out that if you focus on the agility – making the car fun in tight turns, fun on canyons–we transferred something of that knowledge into the new GT3 as well."

Porsche also put a big emphasis on improving the aerodynamics of the GT3, and judging by the numbers, they've achieved an impressive result. Downforce is increased by 20 percent, but the drag coefficient remains the same as the previous GT3.

Much of the increase in downforce comes from a new rear diffuser inspired by – what else – the one on the 911 R, with additional underbody vanes to channel air to the rear of the car. The rear wing also sits 20 millimetres higher than before, which allows it to be run at a lower angle of attack, helping reduce drag.

In our interview, Preuninger was very quick to emphasize that he really, really isn't all about chasing lap times any more. This new GT3 is still a track car, especially with PDK, but it's inching close to the 911 R. In other words, if you didn't get one of the nine-hundred and ninety-one 911 Rs built, this GT3 might be your best option.

And of course, Preuninger isn't about to forget the track rats either. There's a new GT3 RS on its way and, yes, it'll be PDK only.

R&T Article Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a32975/porsche-911-gt3-andreas-preuninger/

Smiley SmileySmiley

Capture d’écran 2017-03-25 à 21.46.21.png

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 993 RS -  991 GT3 RS

Right now, if you choose PTS it appears you are still limited to the two interiors on the configurator. Silver stripe on a grey seat or GR stripe on a grey seat. Some of these colors could clash against the exterior. I wonder if they will other other color schemes for the interior. My guess is they wouldn't.surprise

--

In a way Porsche has gone softer with the new GT3, it isn't about the fastest time on a track anymore, that job is left to the RSs.

It clears the way for them to put the manual back into the GT3, making it more of a driver's car, a 'fun' car again for some people.

For those that want the experience more than lap times, they pick the manual, and it has a gem of a gearbox, they will not be disappointed. 

For those that want to be fast, they can go with the PDK, a no compromise gearbox.

--

LP997:

Capture d’écran 2017-03-25 à 21.46.21.png

I know it's a photoshop but so much want.  This is what I requested if I win the PTS lottery...

Whoopsy:

For those that want to be fast, they can go with the PDK, a no compromise gearbox.

Well Nick, I will go one step further that for those that want to be fast, then they should only be buying the RS as a GT3 in PDK will still be too slow and is a compromise.

All these manual vs PDK talks is getting very annoying as the PDK supporters do not understand what us manual guys are looking for.  It is sad to see why people are so single minded.

For those who argue that the old manual has no place to pair with the new technology, then they should never order steel brakes in any of their cars.  PCCB is superior to steel brakes in every way and should be the only ingredient in their new sport cars.  Any of them that pair their PDK GT3 with steel brakes will be absolutely stupid.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

nberry:
    mcdelaug:

Oh, and anyone who thinks their manliness is determined by their car, much less it's transmission... I can't even comprehend that.

Hmm, you can't comprehend that? Whether you want to admit it or not, the type of car you drive in many ways defines you. Some are just more honest about.

Leawood, I find it interesting that you failed mention that the driver who complained about the lack of a turn signal by me in changing lanes was almost 1000 feet behind. He could give a rats ass that I did not signal to change lanes. He was expressing his envy by finding fault in my driving. But since your a Trump voter, it's fair to assume it's beyond your comprehension. 

Nick

this is unacceptable

The GT3 non RS is what the GTS should be. That's why it is infuriating and insulting that they don't offer rear seats and convertible.

Targa Tim:
    All these manual vs PDK talks is getting very annoying as the PDK supporters do not understand what us manual guys are looking for.  It is sad to see why people are so single minded.

The same thing can be said about 'manual guys'.  Due to being hit by part of a vehicle and then several years later by a complete vehicle I have to have pdk.  Yet I see guys laughing at Nick Murray's moronic t-shirt about pdk freeing up your hand for scratching your vagina.  I hear guys at car events laugh about how pdk is not a real man's gearbox.  I just keep my mouth shut, but would enjoy having them come to the range with with me and show me how tough they are...

Anyway I'm glad I have an opportunity for a GT car and I'm glad they offer a manual for people who really do enjoy it.  Nothing wrong with choices.  But it's humorous to see manual folks feeling attacked when they've been doing the same for some time.

Sorry to hear about your injuries - glad they are making a version for everyone now (except SciFrog) 

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Sorry to hear about your injuries - glad they are making a version for everyone now (except SciFrog) 

Smiley Ha, ha, yes maybe one day they'll make his unicorn.  Good luck with your allocation of a manual one!

I think AP has got the product positioning of the GT3 and GT3RS exactly right

watt:
    nberry:
    mcdelaug:

Oh, and anyone who thinks their manliness is determined by their car, much less it's transmission... I can't even comprehend that.

Hmm, you can't comprehend that? Whether you want to admit it or not, the type of car you drive in many ways defines you. Some are just more honest about.

Leawood, I find it interesting that you failed mention that the driver who complained about the lack of a turn signal by me in changing lanes was almost 1000 feet behind. He could give a rats ass that I did not signal to change lanes. He was expressing his envy by finding fault in my driving. But since your a Trump voter, it's fair to assume it's beyond your comprehension. 

Nick

this is unacceptable

Watt, normally I won't respond to a post like yours but because I hold you in high esteem I will. Under normal circumstances I would agree with your post. But Leawood is different animal. Rather than make his case, he attacks the person. It has happened on numerous occasions and after awhile I had had enough. No doubt I yank his chain but it's all done in good fun. Leawood does not see it that way.surprise

--

Grant:

...glad they are making a version for everyone now (except SciFrog) 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

SciFrog:

The GT3 non RS is what the GTS should be. That's why it is infuriating and insulting that they don't offer rear seats and convertible.

If Porsche would make a GT3 Cabrio they would be the laughing stock and would loose all their hard earnt respect from sportscar enthusiasts around the world.

The GT3 is not a carbon tub mid-engined two seater, a "911" GT3 made cabrio would be very heavy rendering all its weight saving features null and impact its handling and performance advantages, the decreased chasis stiffness of the cabrio 911 chasis would also compromise its handling to the point that 991 Cabrio versions cannot even have the stiffer GT3-like -20mm sport suspension optioned because of this decreases chasis stiffness, all GT3 aerodynamics would be completely shot and useless.... it would be like a GT3 optioned with 4x4 off road tires and shocks, makes no sense and would defeat the whole purpose of the GT3, and the fact that its all traded in for the ability to cruise opentop makes it even worse, would give it a poseur stigma since it will not drive anywhere near like a GT3 just carry the badge. None of the GT3 owners here would touch that "thing" with a 10 foot pole.

Now, if we are talking about a 960 designed from the ground up as an opentop with a hard roof and a carbon tub like the 918, then that is completely different. Or dropping the GT3 engine on a GTS, no problem with that, but it would be a GTS in all the rest, and have a GTS badge not a GT3 badge, cause it would have nothing to do with a GT3.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

nberry:
    watt:
    nberry:
    mcdelaug:

Nick

this is unacceptable

Watt, normally I won't respond to a post like yours but because I hold you in high esteem I will. Under normal circumstances I would agree with your post. But Leawood is different animal. Rather than make his case, he attacks the person. It has happened on numerous occasions and after awhile I had had enough. No doubt I yank his chain but it's all done in good fun. Leawood does not see it that way.surprise

Hillarious. Too funny. As I recall you started this by personally insulting anyone for even wanting a manual.  Given that you don't even drive well enough to know to use a turn signal and pose in a Targa I found it funny for you to comment on posing. It is just more awesome projection on your part. Not going to get into politics other than to point out that you must still be sore. Sorry about that. As for calling me a different animal, that is another personal attack, due to someone trying to explain how vital using you turn signal is. Typical. 

I rest my case. 

--

Smileynberry:

I rest my case. 

The nerve of someone like me not thinking your insults are well intentioned. 

I forgive you. I thought you were being serious. I will try to keep in mind that you once owned a GT3. Perhaps you can keep in mind that my advice to signal is not only well intentioned but a life saver. Including yours first and foremost. Sincerely. 

The vampire pts with an odd reflection angry

OMG the dark deep blue (second last pic) is stunning angel Reminded me of this 993 GT2 beast 

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

OMG the dark deep blue (second last pic) is stunning angel Reminded me of this 993 GT2 beast 

Very scary but pretty wonderful!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690602 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409850 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256068 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235299 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4715 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858515 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774788 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM