Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed

I fail to see the correlation between future 991 models and the emission scandal, but you have probably done more analysis on the topic than I have...

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Porsche has always produced many "specials" at the end of every model cycle. 991 isn't any different. 

At least this time, they make more sense, not like "black editions", Chinese editions", etc in the 997 range. 

It will likely be just a 991 "GTS RS" with a big markup...

Wouldn't see the point of this car personally, the whole point of the Carrera line is everyday practicality and versatility while still providing in the sportiness and performance of a 911, even in its sportiest form like the GTS it still achieves that balance. If I want more sportiness and performance past the tipping point of everyday practicality and versatility I would go for a GT3/RS with the NA engine, PDK-S, chasis setup, etc. and not the downsized 3.0LTurbo engine, etc.

So they will give it a special name and make it limited so it has an artificially created appeal to justify the pricetag, i.e. another Sport Classic exercise broken heart

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Did ALDO wrote that 991.2 Touring will have 3.0 biturbo engine?

By non-GT3 that's what i understood, if it has the GT3 engine then it would make more sense but then they wood be screwing over all the VIP 911R customers big time, do don't think that is going to happen.

--

Hmm... It will be a limited production car so...

Even so, it's like doubling the 991R limited production once the first one got sold and with a better newer version just after the first came  out...

--

It won't be a surprise for many to hear that Porsche are planning to use a flat-six naturally aspirated 4.0 engine across a number of models, including R, GT3, GT3 RS, GT4 RS, RSR, GT3 Cup, GT4 Clubsport, Speedster, Spyder, 960, etc...

Indeed, this engine will be used to uphold Porsche's reputation as a manufacturer of great engines and to mitigate the criticism of lost "emotion" and "character" in the turbo-charged engines.

This engine will also help to differentiate a number of "special" models from the more plain-vanilla models.

The engine has already been developed with both manual and PDK transmissions available.

There will be a lot written about this engine in the next couple of years...

Smiley

“Ten things we can expect from Porsche's GT department”

Top Gear learns the future of hardcore Porsches with boss Andreas Preuninger...

(5 March 2016)

Porsche used the [2016] Geneva motor show to unveil its most purist-focused car in a long time, the 911 R. In short, it’s a GT3 RS stripped of its paddleshift gearbox and downforce, answering the cries of Porsche die-hards who miss the involving manual transmission of GT-badged cars past.

We used it as an opportunity to sit down with the head of Porsche’s GT cars, Andreas Preuninger, to discuss what it means for the models that follow it. And we’re delighted to say it means very good things indeed.

So, dear reader, we gaze into the Porsche crystal ball with ‘Mr GT3’. Some of its contents are quite exciting...

The next 911 GT3 will have a manual...

Yup. Over to Preuninger: “I really think there is a good chance we will see the manual gearbox in the next GT3.”

Sounds pretty conclusive, eh? “For the pure joy and engagement of driving, is the manual a better option? I can imagine offering the manual as an option on the GT3. It would be completely stupid to restrict the manual gearbox to the R.”

So for the second-generation version of the 991 GT3, expect its engine to edge closer to 500bhp, and for it to come linked to your choice of two gearboxes: the existing seven-speed PDK, and the newly crafted six-speed manual from the R.

But the next GT3 RS will not...

Don’t think that Preuninger hearts stick-shifting unequivocally, though. “A lot of the 911 GT3’s success comes from its bandwidth of usability, and its usability lives on its PDK gearbox,” he says.

As well as usability, it also shaves tenths off laptimes. “There would be no sense in offering, say, a generation two GT3 RS with a manual gearbox, as it needs to be quick on the track.” The concern is that a PDK-equipped GT3 would outstrip a manual RS.

Future model range may include 911 R...

Preuninger sees two tribes of Porsche GT buyer: the purists, and the racers. And while the cars that appeal to each use the same tech, they take it in different directions.

Fit a manual to the GT3 again - as he seemingly plans to - and a blurred line between the 911 R and GT3 RS exists. “For the far future maybe it would be worth thinking about an RS and an R, but no GT3, because there’d be overlapping,” he says.

If you’ve just spat tea over your computer, grab a cloth and then try to calm down. Nothing’s certain.

Don’t expect a seven-speed manual in a GT car...

The seven-speed manual transmission fitted to the 991-generation 911 has its plaudits and its detractors. We can probably file Preuninger under the latter, particularly as he commissioned a completely bespoke six-speed transmission (stick pictured) to give 911 R buyers the sensations they’re after.

“Six is enough. We didn’t try [with the seven-speed]. When you operate this seventh gear quickly [in the regular 911], it can get very confusing. The 911 R shines best between second and fourth gear, lots of short shifting. I think a seventh gear would only harm the experience.”

Oh, and ditching that seventh cog saves 1kg, too...

Cayman GT4 RS...

It’s not the first time Preuninger has been asked about the possibility of a GT4 RS, and his answer feels well-versed. “If you would make a GT4 RS it would be a pretty quick car, and I don’t think we could produce that car at a lower price than the GT3 RS. You would have a positioning problem with that thing.

“We are aware of the need for something like this in the market, but there are no plans on something like this at the moment.”

718 Cayman GT4...

“Based on the huge success we had on the GT4, you can imagine we won’t ditch that project. The next generation might get a GT4 as well,” he continues. So that means the 718.

Does the fact it’s a four-cylinder turbo scupper things, when one of the current GT4’s best assets is its howling flat-six engine?

“Not necessarily,” he says, with a knowing smile. “On the GT models we want the six cylinders, the atmospheric engines.” That suggests some dug in heels, and a range-topping 718 that stays old-school with its choice of engine.

In fact, natural aspiration is here for a long time yet...

“We have no decision on going turbocharged,” Preuninger tells us. “There has been turbo engines before, and we have huge expertise, and we can really afford to have both [setups] in the product programme.

“If we can live with the fact a Carrera GTS will be a little quicker in the mid-range, which could be the situation in the future thanks to turbocharging… I wouldn’t care to be honest. It’s a totally different driving experience. As soon as the revs are above 5,000 we’d be gone anyway.

“I think it would be the smart and right move to stay with normally aspirated engines for the GT cars for the future.”

But he’ll happily strap some turbos to a modern-day GT2 [RS]...

“We always had a GT car with a turbo,” he says, referring to the GT2 and GT2 RS models of old. “But that was a different line, for a different customer group. This ‘beast’ appeal.

“We wouldn’t want to ditch that model because it’s a successor to the first turbo, an animal of a car. It might be that we are thinking of working on something like that for the future.”

At the end of the current, 991-generation 911’s life perhaps, much like the GT2 RS drew a line under the 997? “A car like that makes most sense at the end of the life cycle of each platform,” he adds.

It’s not a ‘yes’, but it’s damn close to one...

GT cars aren’t about outright power...

This much we can surmise from Preuninger’s dedication to naturally aspirated engines, but it’s nice - in a world where the limits of sports cars have long since climbed beyond sensible road speeds - to hear him say the words.

He confirmed that motorsport applications have proved that much more power can be extracted from the 4.0-litre engine in the GT3 RS, but his engineers won’t be going nuts.

“There is still meat left in that engine,” he says. “But don’t expect the next RS to be a 600bhp car. There’s a certain limit of adding power. Make it lighter [instead], make it feel better.”

And the Boxster Spyder is probably here to stay...

Preuninger excitedly talks up 911 R, and its ‘purist’ credentials. And he reckons it shares DNA with the Boxster Spyder, even if that isn’t a full-strength Porsche motorsport model.

“It’s devoid of everything luxury, and has a manual gearbox. It falls into the same category as the R. Total devotion to looking for [saving] every single gram.”

So if there’s going to be a 718 Cayman GT4, it would seem foolish to bet against a 718 Boxster Spyder, too.

Article Link: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/ten-things-we-can-expect-porsches-gt-department

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Why cut and paste from a 1 year old article? 

Because it implies another GT3RS is coming and will only be PDK. 

--

Tesla Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab & 2014 BMW X5 & 2014 BMW i3 2017 - Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

EnglishManInNY:

But that was not directly any news? That has been covered here in multiple threads already. But I assume it is good hammering it in one more time Smiley

I enjoyed reading the article. Thanks for posting. But his interview was before the explosion of diesel gate. Much could have changed.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

I enjoyed reading the article. Thanks for posting. But his interview was before the explosion of diesel gate. Much could have changed.

At Porsche not much has changed in the GT cars department, not even in the sportscar department. Smiley Luckily, the worst didn't come true.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

EnglishManInNY:

GT3...manual and PDK.

GT3 RS...only PDK (if a 991.2 GT3 is coming).

GT2 RS will also be only PDK.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Carrera R... manual 
    Carrera RS... PDK
    Carrera RSR... PDK+hybrid racing tech 

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Dear all,

if I can share my frustration right now . This is just becoming a mess, with more and more cars in the line up, at the point where people are almost lost in the value proposition.

Where are the times when the product lines where clearly identified ? When owning a GT3 would give you the assurance to get the top of the line 911 interms of performance (track and road feeling), with a feeeling as well you will not have a depreciation to kill you after 2 years ?

The only positive that Porsche is giving to his customers : the willingness to evaluate seriously competition, which is coming with better HP.... and at some point with a better car.

I'm now hesitating to buy a NEW GT3, as there will be other models coming in the next months thta could affect the value and porpose may be a better alternative ( like  a CS with 4 seats, which would  be perfect for my family).......

This is just annoying..on top of this, when you go to the dealer, they know anything ..... Even one said  from a reliable source from HQ : NO GT3 in geneva !!!!! ahaahahah

--

997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!

Thierry,

All will be known tomorrow.

thierry:

Dear all,

if I can share my frustration right now . This is just becoming a mess, with more and more cars in the line up, at the point where people are almost lost in the value proposition.

Where are the times when the product lines where clearly identified ? When owning a GT3 would give you the assurance to get the top of the line 911 interms of performance (track and road feeling), with a feeeling as well you will not have a depreciation to kill you after 2 years ?

The only positive that Porsche is giving to his customers : the willingness to evaluate seriously competition, which is coming with better HP.... and at some point with a better car.

I'm now hesitating to buy a NEW GT3, as there will be other models coming in the next months thta could affect the value and porpose may be a better alternative ( like  a CS with 4 seats, which would  be perfect for my family).......

This is just annoying..on top of this, when you go to the dealer, they know anything ..... Even one said  from a reliable source from HQ : NO GT3 in geneva !!!!! ahaahahah

There has always been better models coming . That will never stop, and you will not be able to buy THE car that will have it all for all times . 

The model line is pretty clear . And even more, this time around there is a slight chance there will not be a GT3 RS , which would make the .2 GT3 more special . 

The new GT3 is going to be a fantastic car, no dought . It will keeps it s value much better then most Porsche models . Just like it has always done .  Actually at the moment they keep better values then 5 years ago . 

If you are thinking about the club sport ( or T ), that will be a very different car then the GT3  , and the '' problem'' will be to get one if it is limited . Do you have any chance ? Would you have been able to get an R ? 

If you like the GT3 , just get it !  If you need back seats, then a GTS or maybe the upcoming CS ( T ) if... you have a chance to get it ( but it will not be better then the GT3 )

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Im sure for a limited edition of the GT3 RS not a regular model...

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

Guys, if you buy your cars only based on resale value or value increase, then you have to rethink your (buying) priorities. I get the frustration but we all knew that this is going to happen.

Just get the car(s) you want, enjoy them and if you're lucky, they increase in value and if not...well...at least you had a nice time enjoying them.

--

Agree, the stable or even increasing value is just a nice side effect.

Will there be a Porsche webcast tomorrow?

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

Will there be a Porsche webcast tomorrow?

http://www.porsche.gomexlive.com

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

4.0L

500ps

PDK-S is standard while 6 speed manual from 911R is optional.

Some new options. Got the price as well, can not post it here yet. 

New tires.

All will be know tomorrow.

Oh, no wingless option.

So manual costs extra or no-cost option?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Should be no-cost option.

Great - thanks!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

It would be crazy to have to pay for MT: You do all the job yourself.

It is like going to the gym: You pay to do all the work yourself    :)

Grant: I guess you will be awake 01.15  

kiss

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753324 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430825 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258642 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255501 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79551 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868418 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802013 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM