Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

645 Ci

Re: 645 Ci

I already saw so many 645 Ci on the street here in Bavaria, even before official sales start in january, a lot of factory cars with Munich license plates drove around last year. Of course without camouflage.

I like the front but the rear really looks awful, too "bangleized". And the car looks way too big, like a Mercedes CL. You have to love BMW to want one of these...

"And the car looks way too big"

This is my complaint about so many new cars! Too big, too heavy, too many gadgets. I think I am getting old.

yep, not only does the rear look banglized, but the rear window area with the top up on the cabs is simply horrifying.

unusable rear seats

In Antwort auf:
    RC said:
    I like the front but the rear really looks awful, too "bangleized". And the car looks way too big, like a Mercedes CL. You have to love BMW to want one of these...

I neither like the front, nor the rear, nor the interior. I don't like anything about the car except its engine and the relatively low weight for a car that big.
    IMO BMW tries hard to be different, just to be different and without any further use. And the whole Bangle design just is an offence to good taste.

best
    sr

In Antwort auf:
    WCH said:
    This is my complaint about so many new cars! Too big, too heavy, too many gadgets. I think I am getting old.

No Will, you're just absolutely right

best
    sr

It's so funny how so many of you are bent on dissing BMW. It's quite obvious that I am alone here.

I saw the car in person at the show, sat in it, and I love it! I appreciate the BEAUTIFUL AND ORIGNAL design. The interior is a great place to be as well. However I am waiting for the M6 because I am an "M" guy. This car is actually said to be a perfect balance when driving, it has perfect 50:50 weight distrubution. I know the 645Ci is no 911, it never will be. But it does strike a fine balance in so many ways. Of course so most of you will never understand this.

We understand just fine.

RC does have a point though. You get the feeling of a large car just by sitting in it. Hopefully the car shrinks a bit once it is underway. Maybe the M6 will have a more special feel as well.

You know, I am begining to think that this is no forum for a someone like me (a BMW guy). Nothing I say or contribute really seems to be appreciated here, people spend more time at odds w/ me than giving good feedback (not that it has to be positive). Maybe it's of my own undoing, I have no idea? O well, whatev.

"You know, I am begining to think that this is no forum for a someone like me (a BMW guy)."

i'm a diehard bmw fan. we currently have an SMG M3 too. that said, i'm a diehard bangle hater and also find the interiors headed in the wrong direction. about 15 years ago i said if they ever made the 6 in an M cab it would be my final car. oh how tastes have changed. i'm not interested in a heavy sedan and most certainly not in something banglized. that 6 is some kind of fugly in the rear - especially with the top up. lastly, there is no car maker in the US with crappier service than BMW & BMW NA is useless as they just point you back to the useless dealers.

It seems that you like past BMW's and not the new ones.

BMW fans that are actually appreciative of the new design direction like myself are few. I hope BMW sticks to the grind stone with what they are doing now, because like it or not, this is where the whole automotive industry is headed. No matter what BMW will always deliver on the performance end and to me that is all that matters.

"It seems that you like past BMW's and not the new ones."

let's just say this latest batch is the first i haven't liked since i bought my first one in 1983. we loved our 2000 540 sport and feel the same about our E46 SMG M3. that said, i'm glad it's the second car i've ever leased because i've never had a car in which i had so little faith in re: it's motor's longevitiy (as well as many other common E46 M3 problems).

Quote:
    AMGeater said:
    You know, I am begining to think that this is no forum for a someone like me (a BMW guy). Nothing I say or contribute really seems to be appreciated here, people spend more time at odds w/ me than giving good feedback (not that it has to be positive). Maybe it's of my own undoing, I have no idea? O well, whatev.

I guess this is a forum where people frankly say what they think without really getting mad one on each other.
    Potential buyers of a certain car model can always judge by the pros and cons if they want to go for a certain car or not.
    If you think that I love the 911 or even the Cayenne 100%, you're wrong. I could make a very very long list of the things I don't like. There is no perfect car, maybe just a perfect match to ones personal taste and preferences. That said, I think such a forum is much more worth for serious buyers than other car forums where people just all sing "hallelujah, praise the king" and don't really discuss the weak and the strong points of a car.

You guys are indeed a tough crowd, and thats cool. Im so use to hearing everyones complaints about the new generations of BMW's that it's starting to hurt my ears if you will. Honestly I don't think a lot of you will be pleased with car design in another five years from now, and the best (the Germans) are probably going to get even more riskier than they are now. The new Audi look is very well done, MB is looking more plasticky, and BMW, need I say nothing.

Quote:
    AMGeater said:
    It seems that you like past BMW's and not the new ones.

Hi AMGeater,

My wife and I joined the BMW car club of America in 1974, just after we purchased an Inca 2002. We're still members.

We've owned many 3 series (including a Hardy & Beck-converted 323 and an M3), many 7 series (6, 8, & 12 cylinders), an Alpina B6 and an Alpina B7 (5er).

Just a month ago, we replaced her 330Xi with an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. Now we are without a BMW in the garage for the first time in THIRTY YEARS!

I sold my last 740iL (my beater car) to switch to a Lexus LX470 because I needed more seating capacity. An X5 is too small inside.

My wife got fed up with the poor reliability of various electrical items (xenon headlight ignitor, each and every tail lamp), particularly a fuel gauge that said she had 1/8 tank of gas, but left her stranded --- out of fuel --- in this second of her E46's.

I couldn't forgive the 330Xi AWD drive train that always made an annoying vibration in the 55-70 mph speed range (annoyed my wife, too). Even the loaner cars w/AWD did the same thing. It's a design feature as far as I can tell.

Now, our garage has a few Porsches, my LX470, a Bentley sedan, and her A4.

No more BMW.

I might have been a new 745 customer, but I can't abide the styling. It has yet to "grow" on me. And, no, I'm not just an old fuddy-duddy. I lept at the chance to buy a 735i in 1988 when the modern style first took over at BMW. They seemed to go from strength to strength in styling, performance, and features for more than a decade. Sadly, styling no more. I like the looks of my Bentley Arnage way more than the new 745 (the Arnage has better valet appeal, too).

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. BMW has simply abandoned a household with three decades of loyal patronage. I think others on this board merely reflect a variation on our theme.

I don't know but the interior looks very "sterile".

I don't like the interior of the new 7 much myself. If's very odd looking and does have a "sterile" feel to it (not sure I know exactly what you mean when you say that RC?) To be honest Im starting to become less and less of a BMW fan as the days go by specifically because of all of the new quality issues that are popping up. The only BMW's I really have ever liked are the M, 6, and 5 series. Hmmmmmmmmm?????????

Quote:
    AMGeater said:
    I don't like the interior of the new 7 much myself. If's very odd looking and does have a "sterile" feel to it (not sure I know exactly what you mean when you say that RC?)

I use this word for a "hospital atmosphere".

Quote:
    It's so funny how so many of you are bent on dissing BMW. It's quite obvious that I am alone here.

I'm with you AMGeater
    I went to the launch of the BMW 645Ci and X3 here in Norway on saturday and I think it looks great!

OK, so the rear end may not be beatiful, but when that rear end gives me 450 liters of luggage space then I'm willing to accept it. And at least BMW is making cars that are original and stand out, I would rather buy a 6-series than a bland and boring coupe like the CLK.
    And a 645 will probably outrun anything in it's class on the road (especially when it starts to get twisty), except a 911

T

Quote:
    temm said:
    And at least BMW is making cars that are original and stand out...

Next time buy a LADA...you can't be more "original".
    I owned the first BMW M3 E36 available in my town, the third car delivered to customers in Bavaria. I loved it, it was great.
    Then, I testdrove a Porsche 993 Targa over 3 years later. It was time to move on...
    I really don't understand why people are THAT loyal to car brands. I buy what I really like, not because it is a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche. People should learn to have a broader perspective of things in life but most people usually stay with the same car brand for years but exchange their partners (wife, husband) more often.
    BTW: I like the Z4, it looks very nice. But the 7series, 6series and even the new X3...forget about them. Too much Bangle, lack of soul and tradition. I can't see anything "original" in ugliness.

In Antwort auf:
    RC said:
    People should learn to have a broader perspective of things in life but most people usually stay with the same car brand for years but exchange their partners (wife, husband) more often.

In Antwort auf:

BTW: I like the Z4, it looks very nice. But the 7series, 6series and even the new X3...forget about them. Too much Bangle, lack of soul and tradition. I can't see anything "original" in ugliness.

Absolutely correct, RC!

Quote:
    RC said:
    I can't see anything "original" in ugliness.

Says the man who just spent 100.000 EUR on a Hyundai Santa Fe with a Porsche badge stuck on the front

T

Actually it's true.
    Damn, I've never noticed, but there is a resemblance between those two cars. honestly.
    Not that the Sante Fe is ugly, I think's it's ok, pretty bland, just like the Cayenne, but you do find the bulbeous curvy lines on both vehicles.

Geez, not the Santa Fe story again.

The old Jeep Cherokee (the boxy one) and the Hyundai Santa Fe are my 14-year-old daughter's favorite vehicles.

What does she know?

Sorry Gary, I didn't know there had been issues about it. I usually don't check the Cayenne board.
    The Cayenne obviously looks better, more muscular, I was just refering to the same fat curvy lines.

Quote:
    My wife got fed up with the poor reliability of various electrical items (xenon headlight ignitor, each and every tail lamp), particularly a fuel gauge that said she had 1/8 tank of gas, but left her stranded --- out of fuel --- in this second of her E46's.

I couldn't forgive the 330Xi AWD drive train that always made an annoying vibration in the 55-70 mph speed range (annoyed my wife, too). Even the loaner cars w/AWD did the same thing. It's a design feature as far as I can tell.

So true. Current BMW relability is pretty sorry. Our X-5 had three times the glitches the Cayenne had. The only thing that has kept us from getting rid of it is that it really is a very nice car (when it works) and dealer service has been outstanding (the local dealer is part of the Penske chain).

I didn't mean to start a (old) Cayenne discussion here, I just had to tease RC a little bit

Back to the 6-series, I guess one thing we can agree on is that times have certainly changed since the last time the 6-series was on the market

T

One of the infamous rear end as well

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754008 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431100 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258756 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255658 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79665 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868628 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802387 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM