Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A horrific crash after renting a 458 Spider with 3 passengers onboard

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480717/Just-landed-Dubai-picked-Ferrari-Don-t-worry-won-t-speed-message-boxer-died-cras...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLVdYnikSE

'Just landed into Dubai picked up the Ferrari! Don't worry I won't speed ;)': Last message of Canadian boxer before he died in crash with three friends

• A Canadian boxer and three friends were killed in a car crash in Dubai
    • Cody Nixon posted a photo of the Ferrari online and said he wouldn't speed
    • Tributes were paid to the 24-year-old a keen boxer from Toronto
    • A second victim has been identified as Canadian national James Portuondo
    • Relatives have confirmed two American women, including a survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing, also died in a crash in Dubai over the weekend 
    • It is not clear whether Victoria McGrath and Priscilla Torres were the two women in Nixon's car but they have been confirmed dead
    • McGrath survived the Boston bombings when a hero bystander tied a tourniquet to her wounded leg 

Reminds me of this Smiley

http://gtspirit.com/2012/10/10/car-crash-horrific-160mph-porsche-gt2rs-wreck/

Re: A horrific crash after renting a 458 Spider with 3 passengers onboard

2 guys and 2 women, to be confirmed, so maybe 4 in a 458, jeeps ..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

I'm wondering where they had 3 people sitting in this car.

Again - sad story - a sports car in the wrong hands!

So sad... (who the heck gives a 24 year old a Ferrari rental???). I feel so sorry about the girls and the co-passenger... RIP

31F5CE0800000578-0-image-a-148_1457369360350.jpg

31F6A71C00000578-3480801-Victoria_McGrath-a-104_1457374387005.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

So sad... (who the heck gives a 24 year old a Ferrari rental???). I feel so sorry about the girls and the co-passenger... RIP

Here's an update....

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/courts/alcohol-speed-factors-in-dubai-ferrari-crash-1.1686525

Sorry if this comes across too harsh but, you reap what you sow. a 24yo driving drunk in a rented Ferrari with 4 people on a car meant for 2? I'm sorry it happened but how could you be so reckless? 

Rationally you're right, but havent you ever done something very stupid when you were 24 and drunk? Heck I had a friend of mine going skinny dipping after his bachelor oarty, dove right in and turned out the pool was only 30cm deep... Luckily he only had somewhat of a concussion, but it could have been a ceremony in a wheelchair.
    Was it stupod? Yes. Did he and the passengers deserve this? Probably not... Such a stupid way to die. I wish their relatives all the strength in the world to cope with such a terriboe loss.
    --

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:
    Rationally you're right, but havent you ever done something very stupid when you were 24 and drunk? Heck I had a friend of mine going skinny dipping after his bachelor oarty, dove right in and turned out the pool was only 30cm deep... Luckily he only had somewhat of a concussion, but it could have been a ceremony in a wheelchair.
    Was it stupod? Yes. Did he and the passengers deserve this? Probably not... Such a stupid way to die. I wish their relatives all the strength in the world to cope with such a terriboe loss.

I did some stupid driving at age 24, true (very stupid, even if I had the skills due to my professional racing stuff) but never drank alcohol (unlike many of my friends). My father never drank alcohol, my mother only a glass of wine on weekends to get a good sleep, so I guess this runs in the family. Many of my friends drank (a lot) and I have seen many bad things happening, incl. one death and even more divorces and family tragedies because of alcohol.

We are fighting terrorism and drugs and whatnot but alcohol still seems to be socially "accepted" almost worldwide. There is nothing good about drinking alcohol, no matter how much people want to believe it (or some ads/media reports try to make us believe). Alcohol is a drug, a very dangerous one. Most people don't even realize that they are alcoholics, more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer on a daily basis already makes you an alcoholic, believe it or not.

Sorry for my ranting but I just cannot understand how a sportsman like that Cody Nixon could get drunk. Alcohol and sports do not mix well but apparently some people think that if they are healthy and sporty, they can abuse their body. I watch this every time we go skiing, young and beautiful people drinking lots of alcohol after skiing or even during skiing. So dumb!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Joost:

Many years ago when I was a teenager and stupid (without realising it) I was at a party where a friend did just that. He wasn't so lucky and has to suffer the rest of his life paralysed from the neck down in a wheel chair. Spending the rest of his life wishing he could wind the clock back. Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

RC:
    Joost:

I did some stupid driving at age 24, true (very stupid, even if I had the skills due to my professional racing stuff) but never drank alcohol (unlike many of my friends). My father never drank alcohol, my mother only a glass of wine on weekends to get a good sleep, so I guess this runs in the family. Many of my friends drank (a lot) and I have seen many bad things happening, incl. one death and even more divorces and family tragedies because of alcohol.

We are fighting terrorism and drugs and whatnot but alcohol still seems to be socially "accepted" almost worldwide. There is nothing good about drinking alcohol, no matter how much people want to believe it (or some ads/media reports try to make us believe). Alcohol is a drug, a very dangerous one. Most people don't even realize that they are alcoholics, more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer on a daily basis already makes you an alcoholic, believe it or not.

Sorry for my ranting but I just cannot understand how a sportsman like that Cody Nixon could get drunk. Alcohol and sports do not mix well but apparently some people think that if they are healthy and sporty, they can abuse their body. I watch this every time we go skiing, young and beautiful people drinking lots of alcohol after skiing or even during skiing. So dumb!

--

You are absolutely right - I have always maintained that alcohol is the world's number 1 drug problem. The social misery and physical and mental ill health it causes is incalculable.

Alcohol and driving do not mix. Alcohol and socializing go together.

wantone:

Within sensible limits. 

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

wantone:

Not really. I never drank, my wife drank may a beer a week when we met, she stopped completely after we dated and she never looked back. Actually, alcohol was a pretty dumb idea for most of my friends because in university, I was always the designated driver...and the one who was driving the girls home Smiley (if you get my point Smiley).

Socializing? I can do that very well without alcohol, I do not need alcohol to feel good or to have fun. Our friends actually started to "copy" us, which is quite weird but also quite flattering. Since they started to meet with us, they reduced their alcohol consumption a lot because they say they feel bad drinking when we are around. My best friend actually always excuses himself when he orders a glass of wine during lunch or dinner and never forgets to mention to me that the beer he is drinking is alcohol free. Smiley Smiley I guess we have a positive influence on them, the women lost weight (and never looked better) and the men drink less, are more active and...they even watch SciFi movies with me and sometimes even wear their shirts over the belt, not tucked in, something they never did in the past. Smiley Or maybe this is what people would actually call bad influence? I don't know. Smiley Smiley

Oh, and they all started to love Miami as a vacation spot...we barely can go there without someone "following" us. The kids hate it because they want to spend time with their parents only but my wife is very happy because she has someone to go shopping with. Smiley

--

Could be true for you but for the rest of 99% of people they want to start drinking before start talking...smiley

wantone:

Could be true for you but for the rest of 99% of people they want to start drinking before start talking...smiley

I know... Smiley

--

RC:
    Joost:

--

we all know that alcohol and driving don't go together but that is no argument against a good glass of wine with dinner or a single malt after dinner. most things can kill you when taken in exaggeration. think of sweets and carbs...diabetes has become a major killer in many parts of the world (albeit it only kills the perpetrator not others, contrary to alcohol) ....

pmarkow:
    RC:
    Joost:

--

we all know that alcohol and driving don't go together but that is no argument against a good glass of wine with dinner or a single malt after dinner. most things can kill you when taken in exaggeration. think of sweets and carbs...diabetes has become a major killer in many parts of the world (albeit it only kills the perpetrator not others, contrary to alcohol) ....

2nd that. To each his own of course, but I wouldn't want to do without a good glass of wine/whisky or a beer with friends. Nor could I do without speeding once in a while, or enjoying a piece of red meat, etc...

If one had to ban all dangerous influences in life, you might as well ban all the fun.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

pmarkow:
    RC:
    Joost:

--

diabetes has become a major killer in many parts of the world (albeit it only kills the perpetrator not others, contrary to alcohol) ....

Diabetes is rife here in the UK due more to obesity and is a silent killer. Sadly its mostly self inflicted by the individual. The protrusive mid section is everywhere you look now and is costing the NHS millions. It takes 30 seconds to do a glucose reading but its not done and the disease is overlooked. I just do not understand why people do not look after themselves Smiley.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I agree with RC. I do not touch alcohol at all, just not needed imo. I certainly have a good laugh without it..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Calling Mr Enmanuel  

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=74a_1457434268

Comparing sweets to alccohol? Seriously?

Diabetes happens because of people not being aware of the risks and because of genetics. Also the access to fast food (and especially good tasting one, incl. sweets) is very easy. No need to cook anymore for most people.

Comparing alcoholism to diabetes is ridiculous. Many people have a genetic disposition for certain types of diabetes. Also, diabetes doesn"t kill OTHERS and it doesn"t inflict tragedies on OTHERS.

A good glass of wine for dinner? Of course, if people want to. Two glasses? Already a problem. A whole bottle? A serious problem. There are no excuses, unless someone is an alcoholic. Drinking more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer per day on a regular basis makes you an alcoholic. Many people aren't really aware of it and when they realize it, it is often too late because they find themselves in a tragedy of some sort (accident, violence, being mugged, etc.).

The bad thing about getting drunk is: You cannot control your actions afterwards, meaning you are very likely to do stupid things, even if you are an intelligent and reasonable person. Alcohol changes and you cannot control yourself when you are drunk. You think you can? Then you have a serious problem on your hand.

Btw: I am 50. No health issues. No high blood pressure, no diabetes (not even close), no cancer, no anything else. Genetics (parents were similar), normal life, no smoking and no alcohol, no excessive lifestyle of any kind and no specific healthy lifestyle (I do not care what I eat as long as it tastes good but I'm not really into fatty foods, even if I am not exactly looking like a beanstalk.

Alcohol is dangerous, more dangerous than pot or cocaine actually because it is very difficult to get rid of an alcohol addiction. Actually, basically impossible, even if many alcoholics are sober for years. Alcohol is a socially accepted drug, this is why it hasn|t been forbidden yet. Same with smoking in the past but one thing at a time. 

--

RC said..

"Drinking more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer per day on a regular basis makes you an alcoholic."

That is the over-statement of the century...Smiley  Can't comprehend that you're really serious about this, but it seems you are, by the constant anti-alcohol rantings you post??  -  So, if you've never had a drink, how do you know how it would affect you..? Smiley

More dangerous than Cocaine, you say?  - Unbelievable! Smiley

I fully agree with "All things in moderation" as a good code to healthy living - but you've taken it to an extreme level which simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever.. Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

More dangerous than Cocaine, you say?  - Unbelievable! Smiley

Only in one sense : You can die from a withdrawal of alcohol, but you won't from a withdrawal of cocaine , nor heroïne Smiley

But I agree , that statement is not right and the alcoholic part neither . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

There are very precise medical definitions of alcoholism no? I would bet they aren't even close to what RC implies...

SciFrog:

There are very precise medical definitions of alcoholism no? I would bet they aren't even close to what RC implies...

It's actually not very precise.  The definition I've heard and believed (for any addiction) is the continuing (and usually increasing) use, despite serious negative consequences stemming from that use/abuse.

I know plenty of people who can enjoy more than one daily drink without consequences and others who can't even taste it without going off the rails...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:

Comparing sweets to alccohol? Seriously?

Diabetes happens because of people not being aware of the risks and because of genetics. Also the access to fast food (and especially good tasting one, incl. sweets) is very easy. No need to cook anymore for most people.

Comparing alcoholism to diabetes is ridiculous. Many people have a genetic disposition for certain types of diabetes. Also, diabetes doesn"t kill OTHERS and it doesn"t inflict tragedies on OTHERS.

A good glass of wine for dinner? Of course, if people want to. Two glasses? Already a problem. A whole bottle? A serious problem. There are no excuses, unless someone is an alcoholic. Drinking more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer per day on a regular basis makes you an alcoholic. Many people aren't really aware of it and when they realize it, it is often too late because they find themselves in a tragedy of some sort (accident, violence, being mugged, etc.).

The bad thing about getting drunk is: You cannot control your actions afterwards, meaning you are very likely to do stupid things, even if you are an intelligent and reasonable person. Alcohol changes and you cannot control yourself when you are drunk. You think you can? Then you have a serious problem on your hand.

Btw: I am 50. No health issues. No high blood pressure, no diabetes (not even close), no cancer, no anything else. Genetics (parents were similar), normal life, no smoking and no alcohol, no excessive lifestyle of any kind and no specific healthy lifestyle (I do not care what I eat as long as it tastes good but I'm not really into fatty foods, even if I am not exactly looking like a beanstalk.

Alcohol is dangerous, more dangerous than pot or cocaine actually because it is very difficult to get rid of an alcohol addiction. Actually, basically impossible, even if many alcoholics are sober for years. Alcohol is a socially accepted drug, this is why it hasn|t been forbidden yet. Same with smoking in the past but one thing at a time. 

--

We might have to open an off-topic section to list your extensive qualities! Today I read: professional motorsport-grade driving class, huge threshold against warm temperatures, above average insight in politics, not even close to diabetes, ... the list goes on! Smiley

Getting you this for Christmas! Smiley

fig1.gif

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:

We might have to open an off-topic section to list your extensive qualities! Today I read: professional motorsport-grade driving class, huge threshold against warm temperatures, above average insight in politics, not even close to diabetes, ... the list goes on! Smiley

The list goes on and on and on and on! Terabytes of superhuman skills! SmileyThey say he was asked for the main role in Superman vs Batman. Hollywood wanted a real superman with superhero qualities to get a genuine touch to the movie. Unfortunately he was busy that weekend, destroying ISIS alone while inventing the cure for type II diabetes and racing the Dakar rally with Chuck Norris in a (leased) Jeep.

Please answer my PM with the request for an autograph. I have already moved the TV to make space for the frame. Smiley

@Porker, a most suitable Christmas gift, but I suspect he already got that one. More than once Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

RC:

... A good glass of wine for dinner? Of course, if people want to. Two glasses? Already a problem. A whole bottle? A serious problem. There are no excuses, unless someone is an alcoholic. Drinking more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer per day on a regular basis makes you an alcoholic. ...

This is not really the case. First, one can be an alcoholic drinking half a glass of wine a day. On the other hand, one might regularly drink a bottle of wine a day and not be an alcoholic. One might have a "drinking problem" if one is drinking a bottle of wine a day, but the distinguishing characteristic that makes one an alcoholic is an addiction to alcohol, not the amount one drinks. If one can not drink that bottle of wine and not experience (physical or psychological) withdrawal, one is not an alcoholic, even though one may have a drinking problem. One's propensity to alcohol addiction is thought to be genetic to some extent, although, there is no known specific alcoholism gene.

If one isn't addicted, one isn't an alcoholic, it's that simple. If drinking in whatever amount causes one problems in one's daily life, then, one may have a drinking problem, even if one isn't an alcoholic. If the amount one drinks doesn't cause problems in one's daily life (although, it's very easy to rationalize these away) one probably doesn't have a drinking problem, although, if one is drinking a large amount daily, one is very possibly going to have a liver problem, eventually.

I don't really drink much at all, quite rarely, in fact, because I don't really enjoy the effects of alcohol, or the after-effects -- although I do very much like the taste of good wine and beer -- but I don't really see a problem with someone having two glasses of wine a day if that gives them pleasure, as long as they don't develop an addiction. (For some, it could be a slippery slope.) Obviously, drinking yourself senseless is probably never a good idea, but even occasionally drinking an entire bottle of wine is probably not going to permanently harm most people.

That being said, I do think there are certain activities that one should never mix alcohol with: driving, boating (even worse than driving, and just as dangerous for the "passengers" as the "driver"), and probably things like skiing (well. i'm not a skier, but it doesn't really seem like a good idea to dull one's reflexes in an activity like this).

koko:

Calling Mr Enmanuel  

I'm here im here. 

RC many superhuman qualities aside, back to the drinking and driving, and the accident at hand...

I agree that everything in moderation is fair, and exaggeration is dangerous. I for one enjoy having a drink when I go out, but with so many options around today for safe transportation people should really be more careful. I've gone out with many friends who admitted they shouldn't drive after having a few (or more than a few) drinks and ordered an uber or a lift. I've ordered cars for friends and insisted they took them instead of driving if I believed it wouldn't be safe for them, but just because they drank too much one day I wpuldnt call them alcoholics. 

IMO it boils down to people being responsible enough to admit their own limitations and act accordingly. I'm sorry i didn't mentions this before but my condolences really go out to the families of the 4 people in this crash, and I regret they have to go through this. But again, if yo put yourself in that position its nobody fault but your own. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690774 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410024 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256130 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235368 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774923 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM