Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Macan 252 HP 4-Cylinder

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Re: Macan 252 HP 4-Cylinder

New model year for Macan and Cayenne

Porsche is extending its line-up of compact SUVs by adding the new Macan entry-level model. Furthermore, the Cayenne will now be equipped with the latest generation of Porsche Communication Management (PCM).

The turbocharged two-liter engine in the Macan delivers 185 kW (252 hp; Combined fuel consumption 7.4–7.2 l/100 km; CO2 emissions: 172–167 g/km) from 5.000 to 6.800 rpm and comes standard with a seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission like all Macans. As a result, the Macan delivers impressive acceleration: It is capable of reaching 100 km/h in 6.7 seconds, and with the optional Sport Chrono-Package, the time is reduced to 6.5 seconds. The top speed is 229 km/h. In terms of fuel consumption, the Macan proves to be very efficient: Depending on the mounted wheel and tire combination, the Macan consumes 7.4 l/100 km to 7.2 l/100 km according to the NEDC.

Sporty turbocharged four-cylinder

The in-line four-cylinder engine is designed to be particularly sporty and efficient: It operates with up to two bar of boost pressure, charge-air cooling, petrol direct injection and variable valve timing. VarioCam Plus adapts the intake and exhaust camshaft continually and also controls the lift of the exhaust valves. Its powerful 370 Nm of torque available between 1.600 rpm and 4.500 rpm, for instance, enables fast overtaking maneuvers.

As is characteristic for all Porsche models, the Macan is capable of converting its engine power into exceptionally sporty driving dynamics. This is ensured by the standard Porsche Traction Management PTM active all-wheel drive system in interplay with an agile suspension and precise steering. An air suspension system with levelling control including the PASM with adaptive dampers is available as an option. With an unladen weight of 1.770 kilograms, the Macan is the lightest SUV made by Porsche, which translates into agile handling.

Extensive level of standard equipment 

Visually, and in its features, the new entry-level model only differs from other more powerful models in its details. Exterior distinguishing characteristics are side window trim strips in black, also black brake callipers in back of the 18-inch wheels and an exhaust system with two single tailpipes made of brushed stainless steel. Many of the vehicle’s standard features are the same as those in the S models. For example, the Macan has comfort seats with electric eight-way adjustment on the driver’s side, Alcantara middle seat panels, the latest generation of Porsche Communication Management (PCM), a lane-departure warning system and a powered tailgate.

Surce:  https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-new-model-macan-suv-cayenne-12319.html

It'll be interesting to see, how this car - engine - combo will affect the value of the Porsche brand long term, given it's basically the 2.0 liter engine VW puts everywhere. On the other hand, I'm sure, they will make a lot of money, as even more people are able to afford the Porsche badge soon.

has there been a 2.0 liter petrol Macan on sales for months already?

sfo:

They launched the car for China only originally and as far as I know you could only get it there until now.

Rotbart:
    sfo:

They launched the car for China only originally and as far as I know you could only get it there until now.

been on the UK configurator for months. 

The UK has had the 2.0 for over a year now I believe but it looks like the latest version has a modest power increase. My dealer said it's actually not bad to drive but allocation has been low so they haven't really impacted on overall sales by much.

It wasn't available in Switzerland until now, so I guess depending on location.  

--

I think this is a global addition for the 2017MY - it appeared online on the Middle Eastern sites too and is consistent with what the salesmen here have told me about seeing it coming sooner than later.

That being said, I know it's an ubiquitous engine seen in everything from the Golf to the Q7, but I absolutely love this engine. We've got the 220hp version of it in my mom's 2015 Q5 and it's got plenty of low-range punch, sounds surprisingly good with a noticeable little rasp and I've never found myself wanting for more power - it's fast when I need it to be and calm and collected when I'm cruising about. Maybe I've grown more pragmatic [senile?] since I sold the Cayenne S off, but I don't think I'd be averse to owning one of these little Macans however much of a Q5 in drag it may be.

khabah

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

In Switzerland the price difference between the S and the base Macan is only CHF5k. CHF69k vs CHF75k. For that price difference I would take the 6cyl and the extra performance. 

--

We have this engine in Turkey for a year now. It effects the consumer tax percentage dramatically.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

993Targa:

In Switzerland the price difference between the S and the base Macan is only CHF5k. CHF69k vs CHF75k. For that price difference I would take the 6cyl and the extra performance. 

UK price difference is £2400 .. I would go for V6 every time too, and you get 88PS more.

The relative pricing is a joke IMHO

olli:

The relative pricing is a joke IMHO

Smiley The whole Macan pricing is a joke. My wife's Turbo was around 107k EUR new and we both loved it when we saw it for the first time. After owning this car for over a year now, we are both disappointed. Next SUV will be a different one, maybe the next generation Cayenne. The Macan is way to expensive for what it offers in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Another great opportunity to go OT...but anyway, my plan is to swap my current gen Cayenne S Diesel for the new gen when it is introduced in late 2017, with the new Audi V8 tri-turbo power diesel and 900 NM...monster torque is the name of the game in SUV-land IMO, rather than HP.

olli:

Another great opportunity to go OT...but anyway, my plan is to swap my current gen Cayenne S Diesel for the new gen when it is introduced in late 2017, with the new Audi V8 tri-turbo power diesel and 900 NM...monster torque is the name of the game in SUV-land IMO, rather than HP.

Torque is nice but I couldn't care less. On the Autobahn, you need power, not torque. Smiley In the city, it doesn't really matter if you have 600 Nm or 900 Nm, the difference is minimal.

I agree however that the next gen Cayenne S Diesel could be interesting, if they put that new Audi V8 Diesel into it and maybe add a few horses (450 hp?) to it. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Well, I disgree. even on the Autobahn, a real world driving situation involves a scenario likes this:

A slower car is moving over and you want to pass it, you are heading uphill and are accelerating from, say 150 to 200 kmh with a fully loaded SUV on the way back from a skiing trip. What do you need more, torque or power, i.e. without the need to shift down and/or to wait for the revvs to build? I think the answer is torque first and foremost.

olli:

Well, I disgree. even on the Autobahn, a real world driving situation involves a scenario likes this:

A slower car is moving over and you want to pass it, you are heading uphill and are accelerating from, say 150 to 200 kmh with a fully loaded SUV on the way back from a skiing trip. What do you need more, torque or power, i.e. without the need to shift down and/or to wait for the revvs to build? I think the answer is torque first and foremost.

I disagree. I have over 1000(!) Nm in my Mustang and I still downshift when I pass a car. Same with my Jeep GC SRT (over 600 Nm). I downshift into kickdown when I pass other cars because I usually have some idiot tailing me at a short distance and I want to show these idiots that I am faster. Not that they learn from it...usually they are back on my tail when I have the next car in front of me. I hate it when someone drives at 2-3 meters distance to my car...at 200 kph or faster. It drives me nuts because I am afraid he kicks me in the rear when he doesn't pay attention (I am a fast braker Smiley) and I have to pay attention to both "ends", which is annoying.

--

RC:
    After owning this car for over a year now, we are both disappointed. Next SUV will be a different one, maybe the next generation Cayenne. The Macan is way to expensive for what it offers in my opinion.

Sorry but I totally disagree. The Macan has no real competition in performance and luxury in the crossover segment. It handles like a Panamera and has plenty of torque and hp for the road. You can fit a lot of stuffs (7 large suitcases, seats down the other day) and the interior is one of the nicest you can find and technology is also great (try adaptative cruise control on an Escalade and you will understand). 

Bottom line: the Macan especially turbo is a bargain, mine loaded was $93k. There is no other vehicle I could replace it with today. If you want bigger you have the Cayenne but it is 40% more expensive and it doesn't drive as nice (it drives different).

The Macan certainly can be a lot of fun on a twisty country road or mountain pass, at least for an SUV. 

I don't get it either, what is it that you hate so much about the Macan RC? Part from that the Macan is smaller in the back seat and has some less luggage space the Macan is the much nicer package and for a better price (in porsche terms). But of course it comes down to what you need and if you need to haul around a lot of luggage and have 2+ kids the Macan should be put of the list from start and not even being considered yes

Love the Macan kiss The S is on my list as a "next" practical car.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Lukas:

I don't get it either, what is it that you hate so much about the Macan RC? You seem to either love or hate everything and there is nothing in between. And the journey from love to hate can go very quick indecision. Part from that the Macan is smaller in the back seat and has some less luggage space the Macan is the much nicer package and for a better price (in porsche terms). But of course it comes down to what you need and if you need to haul around a lot of luggage and have 2+ kids the Macan should be put of the list from start and not even being considered yes

The Macan is no fish, no meat. It is something nobody actually asked for (oh well, maybe the marketing geniuses at Porsche and of course a population who thinks that the Macan is much sportier than the Cayenne because it is a few cm smaller and 150 kg lighter. Smiley) OK, the price tag of the Macan is better but when I compare Macan Turbo to Cayenne Turbo performance, well...

When I drive a SUV, I drive it because I need it. Family, luggage, bad weather...you name it.

When I drive a SUV, I want to have the feeling of a SUV. High seating position, safety feel...you name it.

When I drive a SUV, I love having lots of power and if the chassis is "sporty", even better.

The Macan is too small, doesn't feel like a SUV and handling is somewhere between a Panamera and a Cayenne. 

I do not understand who wants or needs a Macan, for me, this car doesn't make sense. I liked it first because it was new, a new product, a new Porsche. After driving it for over a year now, I am disappointed. Another problem is that the Macan Turbo also lacks a little bit the typical "firm" Porsche feel, which is weird. The brake system is also quite disappointing for a Porsche with a pretty soft brake feel. 

I could continue but I know that you ordered one (I think), so whats the point of what I think?! Smiley

This is my personal opinion.

I love my Jeep GC SRT though. Lots of luggage room, drives like a SUV, handles like something completely different and the Jeep weights 2.4 tons, 200 kg more than a Cayenne Turbo. Price/value ratio is also perfect but I wish I didn't have the many little issues in the first year of ownership. They kind of affected my confidence in this car, even if I didn't have any more issues for the past 12 months or so.

Lets be clear: Without kids, I wouldn't drive a SUV. No need to. 

--

olli:

The Macan certainly can be a lot of fun on a twisty country road or mountain pass, at least for an SUV. 

Have a ride with me in my Jeep GC SRT. This car weights 2.4 tons. If you get out without vomiting, I buy you a beer (oh wait, I can't do that...a Coke Smiley). The Macan Turbo is a bit more agile on twisty country roads but not by much because the n/a engine of the SRT and the very good steering setup compensate for that. Even the brake feels better on the Jeep, believe it or not. Smiley

--

I  love my Macan T and the fact that it does not drive like a SUV . Sure the Cayenne has room , luggage space and if you can afford a powerful turbocharged V8, different car for different needs (imho).

No one asked for the crossover segment, yet it will overtake everything else. It's just so much practical and safer for winter and general driving. You cannot say the Macan is not sporty vs the cayenne, that would be lying. They are different. One drives lighter and elegant like a panamera, one drive heavy and "butch" and handles everything you throw at it in a bluffing way. Also one has pdk, one has an auto box. One can carry lots of luggages and costs 40% more. 

At the end of the day they are both fantastic cars for a different crowd and purpose. It's not for RC, we got it, but it's for all the rest of us and, again, has no equivalent on the market today. 

Personally after owning a cayenne tt and one tts, I think the current prices are a rip off and proof is is the epic depreciations that comes with them. 

+1 kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I love my Macan Turbo, but I think that part of the reason I love is that I never had any expectation that it would be a "sports car"

The Macan Turbo with air suspension is VERY comfortable and it behaves and feels like a luxurious car, but it provides the space I need. I don't need any more space or to carry 7 passengers, so for me it is a great daily driver.

--

2016 Carrera 4 GTS Jet Black,

2016 Macan Turbo Agata Grey,

2012 Infiniti G370 Grey,

2007 Mercedes E550 silver,

Guys, the Macan Turbo is an excellent product, it just isn't the SUV I would buy again. Of course the prices of the Cayenne are a rip-off, I just saw a new Cayenne Diesel for almost 120k EUR at a dealer. mail You can easily spec a Cayenne Turbo S to 190k EUR, not exactly bargains.

Of course the Macan Turbo is no sportscar but then, what is it? A SUV? Nope. With two kids, I need a SUV as a family car and the Macan Turbo just doesn't do it for us, something even my wife (she loved the Macan and how it looks) admits now.

Please do not misunderstand me (again): I do not say the Macan Turbo is a bad product, on the contrary. I wish Porsche would offer a V8 engine version, I wish they would have given the Turbo the GTS chassis setup, i wish the brake would be a bit better (less soft brake feel) and I wish it would have a larger trunk (size is ridiculous, considering the fact that the Macan isn't really that smaller than the Cayenne). It is a good product at a pretty steep price though.

--

Sorry but I don't see the Macan as steep price. 

SciFrog:

Sorry but I don't see the Macan as steep price. 

107k EUR? I can get a basically new X5M for this money, BMW has some highly interesting rebates in Germany. The X5M beats the Macan Turbo on every single field in my opinion.

I never liked my former X5M too much because of the lack of emotions and the very boring interior but the more I think about it, the more I realize that the X5M was actually the most sane family car choice I ever made. Quality was great, price was great (22 or 23% rebate as far as I remember), car was very fast and had a lot of luggage room. The sound sucked of course and the interior looked typically BMW (I hated it!) but in retrospect, it was a very good and fast family car.  

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689577 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409236 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234993 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857982 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774041 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM