Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

RC:
    throt:

.2 GT3 should be brilliant. Of course RC will get one. .1GT3 is the best looking 911 imo, very sleek..indecision.

I am seriously considering it (if I do not get the 911R). I don't have the lease offer yet, so right now I have a lot of time to think. When I had the final specs of the car, I was 99% sure I would get it. After reading some of the comments and thinking about it further, also talking to my wife and other friends, I am at a 65% covetousness level right now. Smiley It may drop further after the lease offer and the fact that I need to give away my GTS and my GT500 for the 911R to happen. Smiley

So yes, the 991.2 GT3 is a possibility, especially if Porsche decides to offer a wing delete.

Rc, Is the wing delete for the GT3 a rumour or wishful thinking?

--

2016 Carrera 4 GTS Jet Black,

2016 Macan Turbo Agata Grey,

2012 Infiniti G370 Grey,

2007 Mercedes E550 silver,

nberry:

It really is a brilliant marketing move by Porsche. They know they have gear heads that are lusting for a manual transmission with more power than the run of the mill 911. So they boast the hp to 500, provide a manual transmission and cover with decals (to distinguish it from ordinary 911's) designating the car as a special limited edition. Oh and it will cost over $200,000 AND not perform as well as the $130,000 GT3, $189,000 RS, and both turbo models. 

BRILLIANT!kiss

Nick - aren't you the one who is always telling us how the current crop of performance cars cannot be safely exploited on public roads and what we need is a car that delivers more driving enjoyment, rather than pushing the performance envelope incrementally forward? Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

He does, but not for a rip off price wink

SciFrog:

It costs less than an RS with PCCB's - and they are very similar under the skin.  How is it a rip-off if it's more fun to drive on public roads?

And how is it a rip-off if the market price is 6-figures higher than MSRP (the price I would pay)?

You've made it quite clear that this car is not for you.  Why spend more time piling on?  We get it - you don't like this car. If you have something more to add to the debate, let's hear it.  But repeating the same argument is a bit tiresome.

The car is badly over-priced, but the number of buyers at that price far exceeds the supply?

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    SciFrog:

It costs less than an RS with PCCB's - and they are very similar under the skin.  How is it a rip-off if it's more fun to drive on public roads?

And how is it a rip-off if the market price is 6-figures higher than MSRP (the price I would pay)?

You've made it quite clear that this car is not for you.  Why spend more time piling on?  We get it - you don't like this car. If you have something more to add to the debate, let's hear it.  But repeating the same argument is a bit tiresome.

The car is badly over-priced, but the number of buyers at that price far exceeds the supply?

--

It's ok, most people hate the 911R because: 

1. They can't get one

2. They can't get one

Let's dissect the 911R in terms of pricing shall we? It's currently 55K (US Spec, in USD) more than a standard GT3, but it has the following features on top of the GT3:

- PCCB ($9210 option here in the US)

- Carbon fiber hood (Suncoast part has this part listed for $11,900)

- Carbon fiber fender (don't know the price, but assume it's probably the same as the carbon fiber hood at $10-12K)

- Magnesium roof (can't even fit this after market, let's call this $5K)

- RS 4.0 engine (how much would you value the RS engine vs. the regular GT3 engine? Let's call it a $25K premium)

- Houndstooth fabric ($5K, and it's not even available for the US market from Porsche Exclusive)

- Limited edition (priceless)

I think Porsche priced the 911R very fairly and honestly, I would have paid more for the 911R if Porsche raised the MSRP.  

-- 

2016 911 R (Incoming), 2016 911 GT3RS (Incoming), 2016 Boxster Spyder

2015 911 Turbo S, 2015 918 Spyder Weissach, 2015 Panamera GTS

2008 Cayenne Turbo, 2007 911 Turbo S, 1973 Datsun 240Z FuguZ

Because I hate limited edition cars. It is an insult to brand loyalists.

Plus it's not like the RS is a bargain either...

wtdoom:

That's the whole reason I prefer this to my rs matey 

+1 

I find the simple line of the 991 body to be the whole appeal of the R.  I have flashy cars and I have cars with big wings.  I don't need another car that can go around the race track 0.1s faster.  The fact that the 911R comes with the houndstooth fabric hits the spot for me! This is also why I find Singer cars to be very attractive as well!

--

SciFrog:

Plus it's not like the RS is a bargain either...

Not a limited edition, yet impossible to find one near sticker.  Do I wish they were $100k cheaper?  Sure, but how is that grounded in reality?

--

Nice fleet, unotaz!

--

Yes good to have a new comer and obvious Porsche fan among us!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

You're right I should not crash this party. I have owned many high performance sport cars and never have I witnessed a car that took advantage of a Porsche customer mbase like the R does. I suppose if I had money like Unotaz apparently has I would buy buy the car only as an investment which I would flip in a year. 

Your point about using a high performance car on streets and highways is a good one. That is why I am selling my GT3. It is total waste trying to drive it San Diego. I can't imagine owing a million dollar car and trying to driver it anywhere. The only buzz you would get from it is people looking at you and thinking "He must be rich and I wonder we he does for a living.". It's a nice ego trip but that only last for a brief period of time.It really gets old.

This why I have a problem with the R. You can't use it for performance nor can you get attention. So what is the point of the other than to lighten your wallet by $200,000.yes

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

RT sessions fucked up

Unfortunately, I don't share your views.  People on this forum like Wtdoom and Whoopsy all drive their million dollar car everywhere.  If you think the reason why people like us buy these kind of cars is to show off our wealth on the road, then you way off base.  We don't think like that when we drive our 918s on the road.  Sure, there is a price to be paid to have this kind of privilege and you get a lot of unwanted attention on the road in these cars.  This is the very reason why I love the 911R concept, because no one on the road would know any different. To the average person, it's just another 911 and that's fine by me.  I don't want to show off and I just want to enjoy driving.  At the same time, I don't just want to drive any car, I want to drive a special car with a special engine and a manual gearbox.  There aren't many cars in today's market that can fit this bill.  

As for your comment on how you can't imagine yourself driving a million dollar car on the road and etc etc.  Well, work hard and you might get there.  It's like anything in life, once you are at a certain level, everything you gained in life will become the new norm.  I remember buying my first Rolex and I would only wear it on special occasions.  Many years later, I wear it all the time now, along with a few other makes. 

--

unotaz:

It's ok, most people hate the 911R because: 

1. They can't get one

2. They can't get one

Let's dissect the 911R in terms of pricing shall we? It's currently 55K (US Spec, in USD) more than a standard GT3, but it has the following features on top of the GT3:

- PCCB ($9210 option here in the US)

- Carbon fiber hood (Suncoast part has this part listed for $11,900)

- Carbon fiber fender (don't know the price, but assume it's probably the same as the carbon fiber hood at $10-12K)

- Magnesium roof (can't even fit this after market, let's call this $5K)

- RS 4.0 engine (how much would you value the RS engine vs. the regular GT3 engine? Let's call it a $25K premium)

- Houndstooth fabric ($5K, and it's not even available for the US market from Porsche Exclusive)

- Limited edition (priceless)

I think Porsche priced the 911R very fairly and honestly, I would have paid more for the 911R if Porsche raised the MSRP.  

-- 

Well, if the car appreciates, then any price is a good deal, but let's be honest here. Half that stuff no one would probably want to spec anyway at those prices. The vast majority of people would never spec stuff like $5K fabric inserts on the seats. $25K worth of CF that you'd never even notice being there because it's painted?

Porsche is throwing in all this stuff at premium prices. It's the equivalent of Porsche only selling $160K full-loaded C2S and calling it a deal. It's not a deal. They are just build very high priced options in the price, a lot of which most would probably never spec anyway.

What premium these cars will carry when prices settle down on the used market, I have no idea. That said, 991 cars is decent amount of cars. CGTs depreciated for quite a while and it was far more special and quite rare as well. There are no less than 20 GT3 RS on eBay last I checked the other day.

And again, if what people are saying is true, the car will be no more special than a badge if the 991.2 GT3 has a manual option and a wing-delete option. Time will tell I guess.

unotaz:

Unfortunately, I don't share your views.  People on this forum like Wtdoom and Whoopsy all drive their million dollar car everywhere.  If you think the reason why people like us buy these kind of cars is to show off our wealth on the road, then you way off base.  We don't think like that when we drive our 918s on the road.  Sure, there is a price to be paid to have this kind of privilege and you get a lot of unwanted attention on the road in these cars.  This is the very reason why I love the 911R concept, because no one on the road would know any different. To the average person, it's just another 911 and that's fine by me.  I don't want to show off and I just want to enjoy driving.  At the same time, I don't just want to drive any car, I want to drive a special car with a special engine and a manual gearbox.  There aren't many cars in today's market that can fit this bill.  

As for your comment on how you can't imagine yourself driving a million dollar car on the road and etc etc.  Well, work hard and you might get there.  It's like anything in life, once you are at a certain level, everything you gained in life will become the new norm.  I remember buying my first Rolex and I would only wear it on special occasions.  Many years later, I wear it all the time now, along with a few other makes. 

To be fair, Porsche has been making a manual GT3 and GT3 RS for a long time. There are even less 996 GT3 RS than 911R if I'm not mistaken.

Other than the wing-delete, I just don't see how this car is special than all the other manual GT3 cars over the years. Why is this more special than a 996 or 997 GT3 when it came out aside from production numbers? It really just doesn't make any sense to be so excited about this car...

noone1:
    unotaz:

To be fair, Porsche has been making a manual GT3 and GT3 RS for a long time. There are even less 996 GT3 RS than 911R if I'm not mistaken.

Other than the wing-delete, I just don't see how this car is special than all the other manual GT3 cars over the years. Why is this more special than a 996 or 997 GT3 when it came out aside from production numbers? It really just doesn't make any sense to be so excited about this car...

Touche! It is mainly special because Porsche misjudged the demand for a manual GT3, pretended they did not have the "resources" to develop a GT3 with PDK and manual, then got amazed at the demand for the GT4, stumbled over one of the manual 991 GT3 prototypes and realised "hey, this car is so good to drive, let's build it for the real enthusiasts"... yeah, right Smiley

The aluminum wheel paint is a great example. If the R was that special, then Porsche would have stuck a set of special wheels on it, not painted the existing wheels to make them look special. Yes, it is a nice car and all, but I dot get the hype.

686 996 GT3 RS vs 991 991 R

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

if they put the GT3RS engine into the cayman the R would be a dead.

peter

bluelines:
    wtdoom:

Serious question for those that saw it in Geneva . 

Brown interior , yay or nay . Looks great in pictures what about reality ? 

Serious answer, nay. The mixed black / brown interior in the Geneva car does not look good. Like they ran out of black leather and tried to patch it up with random pieces of brown Smiley

If you can configure it full brown then yay Smiley

+ 1 . The brown did not match the black dashboard . looked weird . As also the material difference was shocking to the eye . Braun could only work if you get the dashboard in braun leather 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

@Bluelines & Noone - the 996 GT 3 RS was not a limited edition, they just didn`t manage to sell more of them . Different times. Wiedeking told Preuninger that we was crazy to market a 911 like that but still got the green light.

m4ever:

@Bluelines & Noone - the 996 GT 3 RS was not a limited edition, they just didn`t manage to sell more of them . Different times. Wiedeking told Preuninger that we was crazy to market a 911 like that but still got the green light.

It must have been the lack of aluminum wheel paint which held back demand Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Well I wonder what we would comment today about the 996 GT3 RS as it was far less special than today`s 991 RS or R  in terms of body parts, engine, interior (imho).

To me the beauty of the R is that it resembles the 964 RS and also the 2.7 RS (which you could spec without the rear wing) which were both high performance 911s that looked to the untrained eye like plain Carreras.  

I think it is nice that there is a car like 911R. Not sure I want one, but I think it good that there is a 911R for those who wants one. 

(If they had made it more special - less interior, special wheels, windows with gills, etc, than I would have been truly frustrated not being able to get one for a reasonable price.)

Different times . 10 years ago, the market for GT cars was low . No one wanted a track oriented hard core car , expect the track addicts .  Today the demand for raw(er) cars has gone through the roof .  Probably because all other cars have now similar performance , but have become so boring . There is also a hype and lots of money around that people don't know where to put . 

The R has the proper price . It is not less , nor more then the RS . Just a bit different .  And given it is a real limited production, it has an extra value . The R is a much better and honest ' special car' then the Sports Classic was . 

The only big mistake are the rims . The car should of had it's own special rims and not that supposed special paint that does not look any different then other silver rims .

Another good thing would of been a shorter gear ratio . Who cares about a top speed of 323 km/h !!  I would much prefer less top speed, and more agressive smaller gears .

--

Again - tried to get one of those cars into my garage but it really seems to be impossible for me. 

On the other hand side - my friends wife has a part time job at Porsche and she just ordered one! Employees apparently have it much easier. He said that 50 cars are reserved for the employees and they have to hold it for 6 months minimum. His plan with the car is to get it trailed to his garage, wait 6 months and sell it. Come on - rather give that car to a real enthusiast which want to have it as a keeper! mail If I would have the chance again I would order a 918 just to get on the list for all future limited cars. Great move and investment of all of those which did it.

Lars997:

Again - tried to get one of those cars into my garage but it really seems to be impossible for me. 

On the other hand side - my friends wife has a part time job at Porsche and she just ordered one! Employees apparently have it much easier. He said that 50 cars are reserved for the employees and they have to hold it for 6 months minimum. His plan with the car is to get it trailed to his garage, wait 6 months and sell it. Come on - rather give that car to a real enthusiast which want to have it as a keeper! mail If I would have the chance again I would order a 918 just to get on the list for all future limited cars. Great move and investment of all of those which did it.

Lars, this information about employees is wrong. 
    20 cars are reserved for employees and you can not buy. It is kind of lottery. 
    Also that 918 customer will be preferred is just a rumor. If a dealer has bought a car he decides who will get them, period. Porsche can give dealer an extra allocation for some special customers. But for the cars a dealer gets regular, Porsche don´t even think a second to be involved who will get it. This applies for Germany, the rest of the world I have no idea.

Lot of fairy tales on forums like this.

Here is something from inside.

20160308013544.jpg

--

AM

Also Lars, I see only Whoopsy has bought one. No one else seems to get a chance to buy one 911R.

--

AM

ALDO:

Also Lars, I see only Whoopsy has bought one. No one else seems to get a chance to buy one 911R.

two other on the forum have gotten an allocation 

--

I did not get it either . Out market received only 2 allocations (one to a 918 owner and second to a major collector)

Gnil:
    ALDO:

two other on the forum have gotten an allocation 

who else? maybe I have overlook their post

--

AM

LP997, unotaz and maybe wtdoom...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM