Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Maserati Levante

SciFrog:

The smaller SUV are not to replace the big ones, they replaced the "second" city car... There is a huge market for them and it's getting bigger. Was looking at my parking office last week and 2/3 of the vehicles were crossover or full size SUV. And with gas cheap again, people revert to what they really want: SUVs.

In Germany people hate SUVs but they seem to gain steam and probably not only because of the cheaper (not really cheap) gas. My wife chose the Macan because she liked how it looks, especially the back and because she thinks that the Cayenne is for older people (don't even ask, I don't have a clue why).

Take the case of the Macan: why does a sedan does better than it? Nothing. The difference between driving a Panamera and a Macan is not worth the extra 30% Porsche wants for it.

True but people wanting a Panamera aren't really into the business for a Macan, are they? People who are into sedans aren't exactly big fans of SUVs and vice versa. My biggest mistake was to choose a Panamera Turbo S. Fantastic car, for a sedan but completely wrong for me. I should have chose the Cayenne Turbo S (this is actually what I wanted in the first place) but my wife...well... Smiley It would have saved me a lot of money because if I would have chosen the Cayenne Turbo S, I would still drive it. Had the chance to drive a pre-facelift Turbo S yesterday and it reminded me of my mistake. What a wonderful car and keep in mind...pre-facelift! The facelift is even better.

The Macan serves it's purpose but unless Porsche gives it a V8 engine with at least 450 hp, I'm not really a fan of this car. I understand why Porsche needed the Macan and it makes sense but if there are two Porsche models I will never ever buy again, it is the Panamera and the Macan. Never ever again!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

To be honest except maybe for a slightly better sound there is no difference between the V8 CTTS and V6 Macan turbo. They both sound average with turbo engines and have good torque and more than enough hp and acceleration for the road. PDK and better handling in the Macan makes up for the lower hp. When you consider the Macan is $93k well optioned vs over $150k for a CTTS (combined with an abysmal resale value), there is no match. You can almost buy an Alfa 4C for the difference.

That said there is of course room for a Macan TTS and it is very surprising it is not out yet (really good sales of Macan turbo?). But if it is an extra $20k for 30-40hp the value seems very limited unless it comes with a lot of goodies or if it combines the chassis of the Macan GTS and the power of the turbo around 450hp, a super sporty Macan turbo RS (but then no more all season tires).

SciFrog:

To be honest except maybe for a slightly better sound there is no difference between the V8 CTTS and V6 Macan turbo. They both sound average with turbo engines and have good torque and more than enough hp and acceleration for the road. PDK and better handling in the Macan makes up for the lower hp. When you consider the Macan is $93k well optioned vs over $150k for a CTTS (combined with an abysmal resale value), there is no match. You can almost buy an Alfa 4C for the difference.

I would compare the Macan Turbo to the Cayenne Turbo and the Cayenne Turbo is around 2-3 seconds faster from 0-200 kph than the Macan Turbo. With the proper exhaust system, the Cayenne Turbo sounds amazing but the Macan Turbo always sounds weird with that generic V6 turbo sound. Yes, the sport exhaust makes it louder and it is not a quiet exhaust sound when PSE is active but I don't like the sound, I can't help it. A SUV needs a proper V8 sound. Period. Also, the Macan Turbo feels "cheaper" in the interior, there is a quality difference but the most important thing is drive feel. The Macan doesn't feel like a SUV. Some people may like it but i don't. I miss that typical "safety feel" of a SUV.

That said there is of course room for a Macan TTS and it is very surprising it is not out yet (really good sales of Macan turbo?). But if it is an extra $20k for 30-40hp the value seems very limited unless it comes with a lot of goodies or if it combines the chassis of the Macan GTS and the power of the turbo around 450hp, a super sporty Macan turbo RS (but then no more all season tires).

Yes, the Macan Turbo sells pretty well but a Turbo S will come and maybe this year. I do not expect a Macan RS though...but who knows. With the introduction of a new smaller capacity V8 at some point (for the next Cayenne generation), maybe this engine will make it into the next Macan generation. Looking at the course Porsche is leading (718, 991.2 Carrera) I highly doubt it though.

Also, why should I lie: I'm not a fan of the 911 shaped rear of the Macan. I love "classic" SUVs. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The safety feel comes a lot from the higher driving position, the Macan fulfills in that regard. I don't even have the sport exhaust and think the sound is OK (it wasn't available on early cars). Will tick the box on the facelift though.  A Macan RS doesn't necessarily need a V8... It would be nice but not necessary. They should keep the weight "low". What the Macan needs however is a slightly larger fuel tank. 2 or 3 gallons would work.

RC - is it really appropriate to talk about acceleration of SUVs? I mean - we all like fast cars, but hey, if the SUV jumps in 4.2 or 4.8 from 0-100 is totally irrelevant, isn't it? For me it is the comparison of men genitals - after a certain age it is totally irrelevant. smiley 

Anyway - the discussion around engine sound, comfort, range, shape, feel, etc  is much more relevant to an SUV.

This make me angry.......they delay the most beautiful modern car to produce a SUV!!!!!!!! What is wrong with the world today!!!!!!??????????everything is upside down!!!!😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

the suv are just useless when it comes to snow conditions! Last saturday went up to the alps skiing, and there was a real snowstorm, well all the suv people thinking that they can go everywhere with suv and snow tires, just stucked as any other car and needed to fit snowchains, so me with my  c sw with summer tyre and snowchain managed to reach the hotel at 1400m while the suv whit al the bling bling 21 " winter tyres just had to leave the car down at 900m.....hahahahaha that was fun to se their faces......

--

993 c2

xander71:

This make me angry.......they delay the most beautiful modern car 

Always had a feeling they won't make it. 

I really want to like Maserati, but there is always something hinckey about them and you are left hoping that the next model will be worth getting. Oh well.

Lars997:

RC - is it really appropriate to talk about acceleration of SUVs? I mean - we all like fast cars, but hey, if the SUV jumps in 4.2 or 4.8 from 0-100 is totally irrelevant, isn't it? For me it is the comparison of men genitals - after a certain age it is totally irrelevant. smiley 

It is fun. Smiley You remind me a bit of a friend of mine. He always says that he doesn't care how his wife looks because he loves her and he has such a long past with her but every time a beautiful young woman passes by, he stares at her so obviously that it is almost embarrassing. Smiley It is not irrelevant how a SUV performs, how could it be? SUVs are usually super heavy, the performance is essential, especially when the car is fully loaded. This is what I love about the Jeep GC SRT, it feels fully loaded almost as good as empty. Very nice chassis setup.

Anyway - the discussion around engine sound, comfort, range, shape, feel, etc  is much more relevant to an SUV.

For me, most important things about a SUV:

1. Performance (otherwise it gets boring)

2. Luggage and passenger room

3. Handling

4. Style/looks

5. Comfort

6. Range

I drive my SUV like my other cars, as (legally) fast as possible, always. Smiley

Btw: I had my SRT in for service yesterday and apparently, they installed (again) a new software. Unfortunately they didn't tell me and I found out on the Autobahn, which was at first a bit weird because the steering and dampening (chassis) feel were different. I love the new setup though, they took away a bit of the hardness of the steering feel and some stiffness from the chassis (everything is SPORT mode). The car feels now a bit more comfortable and the steering feel is basically Cayenne-like now, very nice improved setup! Not too much hardness but very sporty and direct.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

It is fun. Smiley You remind me a bit of a friend of mine. He always says that he doesn't care how his wife looks because he loves her and he has such a long past with her but every time a beautiful young woman passes by, he stares at her so obviously that it is almost embarrassing. Smiley It is not irrelevant how a SUV performs, how could it be? SUVs are usually super heavy, the performance is essential, especially when the car is fully loaded. This is what I love about the Jeep GC SRT, it feels fully loaded almost as good as empty. Very nice chassis setup.

For me, most important things about a SUV:

1. Performance (otherwise it gets boring)

2. Luggage and passenger room

3. Handling

4. Style/looks

5. Comfort

6. Range

I drive my SUV like my other cars, as (legally) fast as possible, always. Smiley

Btw: I had my SRT in for service yesterday and apparently, they installed (again) a new software. Unfortunately they didn't tell me and I found out on the Autobahn, which was at first a bit weird because the steering and dampening (chassis) feel were different. I love the new setup though, they took away a bit of the hardness of the steering feel and some stiffness from the chassis (everything is SPORT mode). The car feels now a bit more comfortable and the steering feel is basically Cayenne-like now, very nice improved setup! Not too much hardness but very sporty and direct.

I got you completely and I think it is Ueber-Cool to have that power within that SRT. The most fun it is to blow off those 3.0 Liter Diesel guys. It is every time a blast and I feel like a little boy when doing that. Actually it is more fun than blowing them with a sports car. 

What I mean is - it doesn't matter as long the car goes better than 6 sec from 0 to 60. And even those big Diesel engines with the huge torque doesn't give you a different feel if the car is empty of packed. 

My order would be like that: 

1. Luggage and passenger room
    2. Handling
    3. Style/looks
    4. Comfort
    5. Range
    6. Performance (as long it is better than 6 sec from 0-60)

Regarding your Service - I think I should go then, too. The upgrade sounds like a must have! Smiley

Lars997:

My order would be like that: 

1. Luggage and passenger room
    2. Handling
    3. Style/looks
    4. Comfort
    5. Range
    6. Performance (as long it is better than 6 sec from 0-60)

+ 1 . I would just add between 1 and 2 '' Purpose '' 

And that's how I ended up with the Q7 TdI ( it could of been also the petrol , but It was impossible to find one to try ) I will just need to add the ABT chip in order to be around the 6 sec )

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Yeah, I don't understand the performance aspect of an SUV. They're all slow as hell. When you drive exotics regularly, everything else is going to feel slow. Put me in a 600hp SUV and I'll tell you it feels slow.

@Gnil - I think Purpose is the overall factor. If I would be single I probably would never buy an everyday SUV. I think your Q7 was a great decision.

@Noone - somehow right. But as with sports cars. Sometimes it is good not having an overpowered car. It is fun to rev a car up, the super cars are way to fast and you have to switch gears long time before the end of the scale as you are going already too fast. Some cars are feeling fast even if they are not. Generally enough torque does give you the feel of running a fast car - that is most important.

The U.S. market launch is planned for late summer 2016 with a starting price of $72,000 for the 345 hp (Levante) and $83,000 for the 424 hp (Levante S) model (not including destination and delivery), which will be available for order in the U.S. this April.

Ouch. $72K for the base model? Not sure what options usually run on Maseratis, but I'm guess you'll have to pay for infotainment and stuff like that. I just don't see the value in this.

koko:

Maserati Alfieri could be delayed http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/worldcarfans/EZIV/~3/KTdHQpTCxKs/maserati-alfieri-could-be-delayed

redesigned GranTurismo will arrive sometime in 2017 and the Alfieri to follow it by about a year. There won’t be a redesigned GranTurismo Convertible this time around. Instead, a convertible version of the Alfieri sports car will fill the role. Note, the sports car won’t actually be called an Alfieri. It’s expected Maserati will dig up its GranSport name.

To differentiate the two models, expect the redesigned GranTurismo to grow in size and become a proper grand tourer. The Alfieri will be a Porsche 911-rivaling sports car with 2+2 seating. We’ve also heard that the Alfieri will be offered exclusively with V-6 engines while the GranTurimso sticks with V-8s. Drive will be to the rear wheels only but all-wheel drive is being looked at, Danesin revealed.

If it will be as the concept i will buy it even if it has 100 hp....sooooo beautiful

--

993 c2

although the rear is a touch generic, the front is well resolved, and not too shouty.

xander71:

If it will be as the concept i will buy it even if it has 100 hp....sooooo beautiful

Gotta a feeling it won't : /

It looks good in the flesh, very long though but it has a presence most cars don't have.

koko:
    xander71:

Gotta a feeling it won't : /

Do you know something????????just tell me so i will not wait 2 years and then be dissapointed

--

993 c2

The Alfieri deserve a V8, it´s a shame if they don´t do a model with it.

--

J.Seven

ISUK:

Latest update on the Alfieri.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/maserati-to-debut-granturismo-replacement-in-2017-alfieri-in-2018-106818.html

If this design is the real deal then WOW - it looks stunning.

And also agree - without a V8 it is half the fun.

For sure a 6 cil, but since all is about downsizing etc...all producers follow this trend , if maserati uses a v8 would it be considered cool and wow or ...its just an old style ..bla bla bla......i would prefer a v8 with beautiful sound....

what do you guys think????

--

993 c2

I believe they'll be using the new Dino V6 engine.

You guys are making too much of V8 vs V6 turbo. V8 is going away everywhere, just a matter of time.

SciFrog:

You guys are making too much of V8 vs V6 turbo. V8 is going away everywhere, just a matter of time.

Well said. 

Edit

Forum

Categoría Titulo Last post Valoración Visitas Respuestas
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 15/05/24 8:44
    art.italy
    805596 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 7/04/24 11:48
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449087 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 12/03/24 8:28
    DJM48
    266700 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 30/01/24 9:18
    RCA
    90284 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 15/03/24 13:23
    CGX car nut
    6935 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 1/02/24 19:01
    Pilot

886635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 23/07/23 19:01
    Grant
    835344 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 21/04/24 11:50
    mcdelaug
    401079 1454
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/02/24 16:43
    nberry
    396730 1526
    Otros Tesla 2 the new thread 13/12/23 14:48
    CGX car nut
    384377 2401
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 3/07/23 12:30
    Porker
    371314 797
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 12/05/24 18:23
    blueflame
    293851 669
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 19/10/23 19:06
    CGX car nut

266415 812
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 30/07/23 18:59
    mcdelaug
    244305 346
    Lotus Lotus Emira 25/06/23 14:53
    Enmanuel
    238815 101
    Otros Corvette C8 16/10/23 15:24
    Enmanuel
    222696 488
    Otros Gordon Murray - T.50 22/11/23 10:27
    mcdelaug
    173317 387
    Porsche Back to basics - 996 GT3 RS 11/06/23 17:13
    CGX car nut
    145120 144
    BMW M 2024 BMW M3 CS Official Now 29/12/23 9:04
    RCA
    121380 303
    Motorsp. 2023 Formula One 19/12/23 5:38
    WhoopsyM
    112785 685
    Porsche 2022 992 Safari Model 7/03/24 16:22
    WhoopsyM
    85888 239
    AMG Mercedes-Benz W124 500E aka Porsche typ 2758 23/02/24 22:03
    blueflame
    76184 297
    Porsche 992 GT3 RS 3/03/24 19:22
    WhoopsyM
    55132 314
    Motorsp. Porsche 963 18/05/24 21:44
    Wonderbar
    26893 249
    Ferrari Ferrari 296 GTB (830PS, Hybrid V6) 21/01/24 16:29
    GT-Boy
    21870 103
    BMW M 2022 BMW M5 CS 8/04/24 13:43
    Ferdie
    20429 140
    AMG G63 sold out 15/09/23 19:38
    Nico997
    17221 120
    AMG [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL 23/04/24 13:24
    RCA
    14694 225
    Motorsp. 24-Hour race Nürburgring 2018 25/05/23 22:42
    Grant
    11661 55
    Porsche Porsche Mission X Hypercar 3/12/23 8:52
    996FourEss
    11211 63
    123 elementos encontrados, mostrando 1 de 30.