Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

This car isn't as expensive as a lot of people are making it out to be. It's similarly priced to a RS once you factor PCCB into account. And being a limited edition Porsche, you do expect it to command a premium so all in all, it's not so bad. 

After a sleepless night, I have my money down for one. Dealer has no idea if I even have a chance to get one but I'll know soon enough. I'm getting it with red stripes with the red Porsche writing, with cocoa natural leather and lifter. Some say the stripes are loud, but I don't see it that way at all. Most MINIs have stripes, when was the last time you thought that was loud? I think it looks really nice with the stripes. 

Congrats Way!!wink

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Congrats. Anyone buying this car without the stripes will regret it later. I would get it exactly as introduced but with air con and radio.

SciFrog:

Congrats. Anyone buying this car without the stripes will regret it later. I would get it exactly as introduced but with air con and radio.

No need to regret stripes - easily added or removed later (they are decals, not paint)

Radio will be particularly useless in this car.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

personaly, i see this car as a real purists 911. no all out track focus...no all out performance focus....NA....manual....no wings, so 911 shape in its purest form. this is the car that many of us have been asking for all along.

i certainly think this concept deserves a constant place in the 911 lineup just as the gt and turbo lineups are.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Some metrics... 0-160km/h:

991 GT3 7.5s

991 GT3 RS 7.1s

991 R 7.7s

Situation is even worse in 0-200km/h or 0-300km/h. Also got direct info about Ring time. Slower then 991 GT3. Barely faster then Cayman GT4. 

Oh yeah, kill the messenger.  But, manual gearbox and mechanical LSD with 22% lock are limiting factor for both straight line acceleration and track times.

You have to be at least as good driver as WR when driving 991 R to be at least as fast as old granny in 991 GT3. That is the fact.

Yes, I know... That "feel".... That manual gearbox... 

Ok. 

I agree/understand you remark on PDK vs manual gearbox. Personally I would never buy a new modern car with “old fashioned” technology. But the modern cars are getting so fast and powerful that I doubt that a lot of owners of these cars can really use the car to the max. So for people who want something new and fun a 911R is a good car. Car makers need to come with new and fun cars. The max acceleration and track times are not important for everybody. To my opinion it is a misted opportunity for Porsche  to make this such a limited edition. The car is still somewhat affordable, so much more people could enjoy this nice car. 

911R = Collectors car.

Here in the UK buyers are moaning already about not getting one. All orders were filled around 18 month ago. Was this variant known 18 month ago..

UK flipping will be in force, again.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Porker:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:
    I think Porsche has finally got it now, there is a big demand for more "simple" cars like the GT4 and the R. Expect more to come.

I also bet this is a new line and we will see a new range in this idea coming in the near future .

I also have been slightly thinking if I should sell my RS and get the R ( If I can )  . But I am not convinced . For a collector it would make sense, but for my usage , I am not sure .   On open roads, one can not exploit the fun potential of the R anyway, and it is not really made to go on the track . 

I wouldn't consider that, your RS is great and will always be the better car on track.

However, since you were considering a 997 on the side as the purer car to enjoy on the street, a 991 R might be a good alternative. Spec it as light and as pure as you can and it'll be an event on the road.

Come resale time, I'm sure you wouldn't have lost much, if anything.

I would put on 100'000 km in a few years . Not so good for a car that is a collector .  But I am sure Porsche will come up with something very similar in the near future . 

And after thinking it trough, my RS is the car I want / need right now Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

KresoF1:

991 GT3 7.5s

991 GT3 RS 7.1s

991 R 7.7s

Situation is even worse in 0-200km/h or 0-300km/h. Also got direct info about Ring time. Slower then 991 GT3. Barely faster then Cayman GT4. 

Oh yeah, kill the messenger.  But, manual gearbox and mechanical LSD with 22% lock are limiting factor for both straight line acceleration and track times.

You have to be at least as good driver as WR when driving 991 R to be at least as fast as old granny in 991 GT3. That is the fact.

Ok. 

Is it the manual gearbox or the gear ratios that explain the acceleration time differences?   The 911R has a six speed gearbox versus seven for the PDK-S and with a higher top speed, the gear ratios of the R must be longer.  This would negatively impact acceleration times.  

I find it interesting, in the Evo video, that AP explains the R is more agile than the GT3 and more like the GT4. The R is setup differently than the GT3 and GT3 RS with a bias set away from fast lap times; therefore, the parameters of comparison should be different. 

I think this car makes perfect sense in the range. The R is for purists who don't care that much about ring times, the RS for the track, the standard 911 has become more of a GT car (in the classic sense, not talking about Porsche GT family). 

The R should offer the most fun of any 911. In this sense I see it as a daily driver if your commute to work doesn't involve long distances and you want to listen to your engine rather then Bach. On top of that you get some exclusivity and a lot of freedom to customize the look from stealth to show. 

KresoF1:

991 GT3 7.5s

991 GT3 RS 7.1s

991 R 7.7s

Ok. 

Oh my god, disaster!!! The car does not have searing pace on the Nordschleife! I think you're missing the point of this car entirely.

Besides, I think hardly anyone here (myself included) can extract the potential of a 991 RS on the Nordschleife, behind the wheel nobody would notice it's actually "slower". More difficult maybe, but that's exactly the appeal.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Gnil:
    Porker:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:
    I think Porsche has finally got it now, there is a big demand for more "simple" cars like the GT4 and the R. Expect more to come.

I also bet this is a new line and we will see a new range in this idea coming in the near future .

I also have been slightly thinking if I should sell my RS and get the R ( If I can )  . But I am not convinced . For a collector it would make sense, but for my usage , I am not sure .   On open roads, one can not exploit the fun potential of the R anyway, and it is not really made to go on the track . 

I wouldn't consider that, your RS is great and will always be the better car on track.

However, since you were considering a 997 on the side as the purer car to enjoy on the street, a 991 R might be a good alternative. Spec it as light and as pure as you can and it'll be an event on the road.

Come resale time, I'm sure you wouldn't have lost much, if anything.

I would put on 100'000 km in a few years . Not so good for a car that is a collector .  But I am sure Porsche will come up with something very similar in the near future . 

And after thinking it trough, my RS is the car I want / need right now Smiley

That's just perfect, nobody will want to buy it, and I'll be more than willing to pick it up from you! Smiley

Just get it in GT-silver, no striping!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

KresoF1:

991 GT3 7.5s

991 GT3 RS 7.1s

991 R 7.7s

Ok. 

Are you surprised? I'm not (and I guess you aren't either). This is the perfect road 911 for the 911 enthusiast, not a track car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

intouch1:

personaly, i see this car as a real purists 911. no all out track focus...no all out performance focus....NA....manual....no wings, so 911 shape in its purest form. this is the car that many of us have been asking for all along.

i certainly think this concept deserves a constant place in the 911 lineup just as the gt and turbo lineups are.

Smiley Very well said.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I think saying that the 911R is not for the track is just silly. All 911's needs to go to a track to be really happy. Sort of...

Driving these competent cars on the street is not very satisfying. (At least in my part of the world.)

Never the less: I like the 911R but I'm disappointed that it is not more stripped.

But, haven't driven one renders my opinion worthless 

Jack@Rennlist has driven one...

From:  http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-and-rs/898319-ot-911r-115.html

Yes. I got to spend two days with Patrick Long and one other Porsche driver (who I can't name because of NDA agreements). I got time in the car on the Weissach skid pad and also the test track -- which is a pretty scary track to drive, very technical with lots of walls that would be moved farther back if it was a commercially-used facility. But I'm happy to say I brought the car back intact, and I'm going to get to drive it again in April on a stage of the historic Tour de France Automobile hillclimb race that was originally won by a 1969 911R.

Here are my driving impressions.  

Obviously, it has less downforce and narrower tires than the GT3 RS. They put a diffuser in back, but I'm not sure how functional a piece like that is in corners, where body roll compromises its function. I believe they had to make some changes to the underbody kit up front to keep front and rear axle numbers compatible. I believe there is also a different (and more 'lively') programming for the rear steering on this model -- although I haven't seen that mentioned in the official literature.

Compared to the early 911 I'm used to driving, it's a very sure-footed car. But compared to the GT3 RS, up at speed, it's a lot more lively and engaging. The differences from aero are only going to be a factor in faster corners. But the tire-size differences and (possibly) rear-steering-programming differences give it a nimbler feel even in medium-speed corners. It's something you can toss around more easily than the GT3 RS (although again, all things are relative -- by 2400-lb 1972 is another animal altogether).

I liked that it was a 6-speed and not a 7-speed manual gearbox. I believe the gearing is lower than other manual transmissions Porsche makes (although, again, that might be incorrect -- I don't see it in the official literature). There is nothing faster than the paddles in the GT3 RS. But for driving in any kind of street situation, it makes (for me, at least) a better tactile experience to be using my right hand to upshift and downshift. It auto-blips downshifts in sport mode, but you can defeat that if you want to go for the full-on old-school feel.  

The weight difference between the 911R and the GT3 RS is something I'd be hard-pressed to say I felt. Both are light by contemporary standards (and also heavy, relative to the 911 I drive). But I'm very happy to see Porsche making a new model that's lighter, and I hope they make good on their talk about getting out of the horsepower arms race and finding ways to reduce the weight (and size, if all my dreams came true) of future models. Modern Porsches feel very light on the track, because of the sophistication of their suspension systems. But I'd be thrilled to see them become actually lighter. There's no substitute for reduced mass when you take a car through a corner.

So which car would I own if I had the money and an allocation? It's not easy to answer. Porsche makes it clear that it does not see the 911R as primarily a track car. I don't think the half-cage is even an option on it. And if I were going to the track with one of these cars as often as I do with my 1972 911, then the GT3 RS would be my choice. You are either faster or slower on a track, and the GT3 RS is phenomenally rewarding to drive in those conditions. The paddles just amaze you as you go up or down. Everything about the car is positive.

For recreational street driving and even trips out with your wife, the 911R would be the easy winner. It's just so much fun to drive. There's more personality to its 'tossability' and rowing through the gears on a canyon road is a fundamentally different experience than tapping paddles. And while I fully understand the value of a big wing in 80+-mph corners, it's a different experience when you pull into a restaurant, where people might (in some way) lump you with the type of drivers to bolt wings to their Civics. Having no tail looks cleaner. It shows off the lines of the car better. And my wife would probably agree to sit in it.

Along those lines, I would say that the 911R would absolutely make a viable daily driver. Granted, I drive a 1972 911 with a cage around town, so my comfort level is pretty broad. But it's comfortable, not too loud (there's an exhaust button for when you want the sound to echo off the mountains), and it hasn't been stripped out so much that it feels unsafe or flimsy. It's got all that going for it -- and then it will feel a little more nimble and driver-controllable (if that makes sense) than the GT3 RS would on ordinary roads. So again, if I was a guy who was going to go to the track once a year but drive around my favorite roads more often, the 911R would be a Porsche that would be more rewarding, for me, connecting the heritage of the old cars with the technology of the new ones.

Yes. I got to spend two days with Patrick Long and one other Porsche driver (who I can't name because of NDA agreements). I got time in the car on the Weissach skid pad and also the test track -- which is a pretty scary track to drive, very technical with lots of walls that would be moved farther back if it was a commercially-used facility. But I'm happy to say I brought the car back intact, and I'm going to get to drive it again in April on a stage of the historic Tour de France Automobile hillclimb race that was originally won by a 1969 911R.

Here are my driving impressions.  

Obviously, it has less downforce and narrower tires than the GT3 RS. They put a diffuser in back, but I'm not sure how functional a piece like that is in corners, where body roll compromises its function. I believe they had to make some changes to the underbody kit up front to keep front and rear axle numbers compatible. I believe there is also a different (and more 'lively') programming for the rear steering on this model -- although I haven't seen that mentioned in the official literature.

Compared to the early 911 I'm used to driving, it's a very sure-footed car. But compared to the GT3 RS, up at speed, it's a lot more lively and engaging. The differences from aero are only going to be a factor in faster corners. But the tire-size differences and (possibly) rear-steering-programming differences give it a nimbler feel even in medium-speed corners. It's something you can toss around more easily than the GT3 RS (although again, all things are relative -- by 2400-lb 1972 is another animal altogether).

I liked that it was a 6-speed and not a 7-speed manual gearbox. I believe the gearing is lower than other manual transmissions Porsche makes (although, again, that might be incorrect -- I don't see it in the official literature). There is nothing faster than the paddles in the GT3 RS. But for driving in any kind of street situation, it makes (for me, at least) a better tactile experience to be using my right hand to upshift and downshift. It auto-blips downshifts in sport mode, but you can defeat that if you want to go for the full-on old-school feel.  

The weight difference between the 911R and the GT3 RS is something I'd be hard-pressed to say I felt. Both are light by contemporary standards (and also heavy, relative to the 911 I drive). But I'm very happy to see Porsche making a new model that's lighter, and I hope they make good on their talk about getting out of the horsepower arms race and finding ways to reduce the weight (and size, if all my dreams came true) of future models. Modern Porsches feel very light on the track, because of the sophistication of their suspension systems. But I'd be thrilled to see them become actually lighter. There's no substitute for reduced mass when you take a car through a corner.

So which car would I own if I had the money and an allocation? It's not easy to answer. Porsche makes it clear that it does not see the 911R as primarily a track car. I don't think the half-cage is even an option on it. And if I were going to the track with one of these cars as often as I do with my 1972 911, then the GT3 RS would be my choice. You are either faster or slower on a track, and the GT3 RS is phenomenally rewarding to drive in those conditions. The paddles just amaze you as you go up or down. Everything about the car is positive.

For recreational street driving and even trips out with your wife, the 911R would be the easy winner. It's just so much fun to drive. There's more personality to its 'tossability' and rowing through the gears on a canyon road is a fundamentally different experience than tapping paddles. And while I fully understand the value of a big wing in 80+-mph corners, it's a different experience when you pull into a restaurant, where people might (in some way) lump you with the type of drivers to bolt wings to their Civics. Having no tail looks cleaner. It shows off the lines of the car better. And my wife would probably agree to sit in it.

Along those lines, I would say that the 911R would absolutely make a viable daily driver. Granted, I drive a 1972 911 with a cage around town, so my comfort level is pretty broad. But it's comfortable, not too loud (there's an exhaust button for when you want the sound to echo off the mountains), and it hasn't been stripped out so much that it feels unsafe or flimsy. It's got all that going for it -- and then it will feel a little more nimble and driver-controllable (if that makes sense) than the GT3 RS would on ordinary roads. So again, if I was a guy who was going to go to the track once a year but drive around my favorite roads more often, the 911R would be a Porsche that would be more rewarding, for me, connecting the heritage of the old cars with the technology of the new ones.

JackOlsen is offline Report Post  

JackOlsen is offline Report Post 

bluelines:
    DocMo:

It seems like it has no back seats. Right?

No back seats and no PDK, even if someone kept insisting on it Smiley

Manual, 4.0 l, no back seats and even the price tag were "last minute" (as much last minute as possible for a car company) decisions. I know that you won't believe it (we have a saying: After a war, there are many heroes... Smiley) but I think that it was here on Rennteam that we started the 911 R discussion over a year(!) ago.

I just found a new hobby though and you'll understand soon. Smiley

--

intouch1:
    RC:

So the big question now: Should I get one and how can I afford it? I think I am going to have some sleepless nights this week. 

this is THE 911 you always wanted.....do whatever.....but do get one

I even got a lease offer now, making it easier for me to get one but it would require a lot of sacrifice from me (and my family, speaking of vacations and all), so I'm not sure I will do it. If the car had PDK and back seats, it would have been my dream car and I wouldn't have hesitated even for a second but with manual and no back seats, it would just be another weekend toy. I wouldn't get the 911 R to sell it after the 6 months "grace" period, it would be a car I would keep for a very long time.

Long story short: Money is invested right now, taking it out would probably lower my chances to make more money and I cannot really afford it. Leasing the car would be a possibility (now, after I got an offer) but this is not a car you lease, this is a car you buy and my chances to buy it after the 3 year lease would be minimal because the value of this car will go through the roof and I doubt that my dealer would be willing to sell it to me for the "official" remaining value.

Maybe I should really wait for the 991.2 GT3...there are rumors that Porsche may offer a wing delete option. Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:

It misses definitely the PDK.

Other than that - the car is great and I'm pissed that Porsche is not selling one to me mail

Just be patient, the 911 R may be a limited model with manual but I have a gut feeling there may be a non limited model with similar specs (though not that many light weight features) and PDK along the way. Smiley

The limitation makes it a keeper! 

Also - I love this roof and if there will be a car with the same engine then it might be without that sexy features.

And yes - in that case the 991.2 GT3 is the better car to get!

If there is another car with same mechanical components but not carbon fiber panels and lightweight roof then it is not the same car imo.

RC:
    intouch1:
    RC:

So the big question now: Should I get one and how can I afford it? I think I am going to have some sleepless nights this week. 

I even got a lease offer now...

I thought this was IMPOSSIBLE Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

throt:

911R = Collectors car.

Here in the UK buyers are moaning already about not getting one. All orders were filled around 18 month ago. Was this variant known 18 month ago..

UK flipping will be in force, again.

I was offered an R last month from my OPC but I turned it down, as I have the RS coming and the Spyder satisfies what I am looking for in a 'fun road car'. Will I regret it? Probably... But I cannot afford to be greedy, so someone else can enjoy it :)

wantone:

If there is another car with same mechanical components but not carbon fiber panels and lightweight roof then it is not the same car imo.

From a collector's point of view, this is true. I'm not collector though. Smiley

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    intouch1:
    RC:

I even got a lease offer now...

I thought this was IMPOSSIBLE Smiley

Told you before, for someone like me, everything is possible. Smiley Smiley

--

I REALLY like the 991R and think that the price is attractive too - however I've only jut got a GT4 which is delivering much of the same stuff, albeit at a lower price point and in a Cayman not a 991 so for now I'm a happy bunny.  Next time around (991.2) the 991R might be a model I would want to buy as driver involvement/feedback is far more important to me that track times.

However from what I hear on the UK forums there are only 30 cars coming to the UK out of the 991 available, which seems very low and disproportionate to the number of other GT models that the UK has been allocated.  If there are only 30 then the whole thing is a pipedream as there is ZERO chance of getting one.  918 owners again flexing their priority? yes

--

Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

Do you know how many 991 GT3 RS UK have gotten?

KresoF1:

991 GT3 7.5s

991 GT3 RS 7.1s

991 R 7.7s

0-160kph takes 2 gear changes so around 0.7s with a manual.

The continuous torque transfer between gear shifts of the PDK set up probably also "costs" the manual another 0.3s

My point being the R probably gives more longitudinal G ie feeling of acceleration/push in the back whilst it is in the gears compared to PDK, surely this is part of the "fun" factor which is the raison of this car, 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

The R wears standard GT3 sized rubber, but Cup2s.

Yesterday I told AP that the R would be a perfect car if it has 2 rear seats and a PDK instead of manual.

he looked at me wild eyed and said you guys are impossible to satisfied lol.

we always ask for something that's not offered.

--

RC:
    Long story short: Money is invested right now, taking it out would probably lower my chances to make more money and I cannot really afford it. Leasing the car would be a possibility (now, after I got an offer) but this is not a car you lease, this is a car you buy and my chances to buy it after the 3 year lease would be minimal because the value of this car will go through the roof and I doubt that my dealer would be willing to sell it to me for the "official" remaining value.

sell the GTS Cab?

Increase size of mortgage on the house? 

sfo:
    RC:

sell the GTS Cab?

It is a lease Smiley Selling it will only reduce monthly costs, not free up capital for the R.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690372 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409682 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255932 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235172 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858348 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774601 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM