Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Aston DB11

I have to say I am disappointed. It looks a little confusing and too fuzzy design wise. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

too many lines, too many design features

and not a fan of Peugeot RCZ colour scheme either

Pass. They screwed it up. I predict AM won't be independent much longer.

The pics look busy but in real life note sure it will look that busy. Overall it looks amazing.

I loved the DB111, would seriously consider buying one if they get a modern gearbox. 

DB10 was ugly as shit with the tiny headlamps. DB11 they get the ratio right with front end real estate vs headlamp size.

--

nice front, but fugly rear 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

I like it ! 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

SciFrog:

The pics look busy but in real life note sure it will look that busy. Overall it looks amazing.

+1

I'm sure it will look better with a one tone color scheme. Can't wait to see the interior.

rear quarter shot looks very camaro to me.

also not a fan of the front 'open' wheel-arch design.

all in all definitely a modern interpretation of the aston design language.

lets see what they did on the interior especially on the infotainment etc.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

IMHO AM has had the perfect shape and should have refined it like Porsche evolves the 911. 

I like it, and I´m sure life must look even better. The front is a bit more of the same but still looks good, the rear reminds me a bit Jaguar XKR. Overall is a good but simple design.

--

J.Seven

neunelf:

IMHO AM has had the perfect shape and should have refined it like Porsche evolves the 911. 

Although Im a fan but They milked the heck out of it, it's about time they evolve. 

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen it in the flesh, but those who have so far have said it is much better than perhaps the pictures show.

The front open wheel arch / cut through strakes are to hide to shut line caused by the bonnet being a full clamshell apparently. yes

No manual option for the first run of cars but I hear its a possibility for later production.

There also seems to be confirmation that they are now taking orders for a manual gearbox again on the V12VS (both coupe and roadster) - this time as a 7 speed flat gearbox (not entirely sure what a flat gearbox is?), with a dog leg on 1st.

--

Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

I like it, the front is similar to the '90 Vanquish

AM always takes their best and most loved designs and sticks them on cars no one car afford or aren't road legal, then drops bullshit designs on the public. This car will be $100K off the moment you drive it off the lot, just like the Vanquish is $150K off in 1 year.

What people want most -- One-77, Vulcan
    What people get -- DB-Camaro

AM deserves to go out of  business. They just don't know what they're doing.

These are strong words... Indeed depreciation of AM are terrible, but so are Mc Laren, Lambo and Maserati... And Porsche now too although not that bad and Ferrari with the FF. I guess the same will happen to the Bently SUV when demand starts slowing down.

You can agree performance package is not there right now, but AM buyers don't care that much... They care about unique low volume hand built cars that are some of the nicest auto industry designs and fantastic engine sounds. Also great factory updates even for older cars.

I back my words with money too, no new or recent 911 would even be considered to replace my 2008 V8 Roadster. It is just too beautiful unique and sounds like no other car around. It looks the same as the day it came out of the factory, hasn't aged a bit and had less mechanical issue than my Porsches. Couldn't care less that a 911 runs circles around it, that the gearbox is from another age or that the navigation screen is atrocious...

Totally agree SciFrog. I think it's a very handsome and modern design of the AM aesthetic. It totally works for me and reminds me very much of the Vanquish which remains a wonderful looking car.

Very few AM's are ever the fastest in their group, but they have the same je ne sais quoi that owners love. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

SciFrog:

These are strong words... Indeed depreciation of AM are terrible, but so are Mc Laren, Lambo and Maserati... And Porsche now too although not that bad and Ferrari with the FF. I guess the same will happen to the Bently SUV when demand starts slowing down.

You can agree performance package is not there right now, but AM buyers don't care that much... They care about unique low volume hand built cars that are some of the nicest auto industry designs and fantastic engine sounds. Also great factory updates even for older cars.

I back my words with money too, no new or recent 911 would even be considered to replace my 2008 V8 Roadster. It is just too beautiful unique and sounds like no other car around. It looks the same as the day it came out of the factory, hasn't aged a bit and had less mechanical issue than my Porsches. Couldn't care less that a 911 runs circles around it, that the gearbox is from another age or that the navigation screen is atrocious...

+1

i was very hesitant when i decided to go fo the rapides. i was well aware of some of its downsides as the 6 speed gearbox and aging infotainment etc and was quite worried about reliability never having owned an aston before.

but from the moment i sat in it i couldnt have cared less. its not best in class in anything (except looks) but simply has presence i have not experienced in any other cars.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Mithras:

Very few AM's are ever the fastest in their group, but they have the same je ne sais quoi that owners love. 

thats exactly it.

--

i believe the same goes for a bentley or a rolls.

--

SciFrog:

The people are speaking with their wallets. Sales were 7500 in 2007. Today they are like 4000 and they're just losing money.

noone1:
    SciFrog:

The people are speaking with their wallets. Sales were 7500 in 2007. Today they are like 4000 and they're just losing money.

2007 was before the big crash - there are very few business sectors that have fully recovered to the levels they were at in 2007!  Smiley

--

Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

In 2007 they just launched the Vantage, their "cheaper" really cool offering. Your comparison isn't really valid...

So then sales should be higher now since their offerings have expanded. Bentley, Lamborghini, and RR have all been doing record sales. In fact, automotive companies are all peaking right now with all the crap financing being made available lately.

AM's 40% drop over the last decade is lagging behind everyone very substantially. It's really not putting out products people want and it shows.

No it means that most of their products are at the end of their cycle and refreshes are needed to once again drive sales. With a longer model cycle than more mass manufacturers the tail of slowing sales is more significant than for say Ferrari or Porsche.

I expect that sales will pop back up following the DB11, rapide replacement etc... Especially as with their new engine deal with AMG they will be able to redirect more development money to other parts of a car and maybe speed up that cycle.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

No it means that most of their products are at the end of their cycle and refreshes are needed to once again drive sales. With a longer model cycle than more mass manufacturers the tail of slowing sales is more significant than for say Ferrari or Porsche.

I expect that sales will pop back up following the DB11, rapide replacement etc... Especially as with their new engine deal with AMG they will be able to redirect more development money to other parts of a car and maybe speed up that cycle.

So, just Googling, I found these rough numbers. They've had plenty of new models launched in the last decade, yet sales aren't going anywhere, and that's on top of growth that others are finding in places like China over the last decade. There aren't recovering and they have more models than ever.

2007: 7000
    2008: Don't know, but according to an article somewhat steady
    2009: According to an article, 40% drop from 2008
    2010: 4250
    2011: 4200
    2012: 3400
    2013: 4200
    2014: 4000
    2015: 4000 estimated

You numbers point to exactly what was mentioned above. They peaked at the edge of the financial crisis when the Vantage was introduced and have been steady since then with nothing really new out and as the performance packages  were dropping behind. The rapide was the only real introduction and was a nice product anyway.

With all the rumors of new engines and Mercedes breathing in their neck it makes new cars a hard sale today...

2005: 4500-ish
    2006: 7052

So the Vantage boosted sales for a few years and then sales plummeted and never recovered. They have had lots of models over the years and they just aren't cutting it.

DB9/Virage, Vantage, V12 Vantage, DBS, Rapide, Vanquish...

I don't think they have a line-up or refresh problem. I think they have a design (inside and out) and performance problem at their price range. I don't think the design is as timeless as people say it is. If I remember correctly, there was overwhelming praise for the design of the One 77 and the Vulcan was just bad-ass. I don't see overwhelming praise for any normal production from AMs

They don't have a design problem.

They totally have a performance problem, but again some people (4000 of them a year) just don't care.

The problem they have is how do they get current or ex owners to upgrade to a newer model? I would have to pay $90k for a marginally better car, the money is better send somewhere else like adding California or keeping the manual 612 as collector...

The gearbox is a huge issue. The DB9 has an auto box when the Macan has PDK... The SportShift system was obsolete 7 years ago... Manual is for die hard and not truly suited for AM IMHO.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM