Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed

I guess Porsche feels that a high powered mass produced mid engine car would tarnish the Porsche brand? Or siphon sales away from the Lambo and R8?

I would have loved to see what Porsche could have done with a mid engine 550-600hp car. Judging by how much the critics love the Boxster and Cayman (especially the GT4) this indeed will be a a let down for the Porsche enthusiast.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

I guess Porsche feels that a high powered mass produced mid engine car would tarnish the Porsche brand? Or siphon sales away from the Lambo and R8?

I would have loved to see what Porsche could have done with a mid engine 550-600hp car. Judging by how much the critics love the Boxster and Cayman (especially the GT4) this indeed will be a a let down for the Porsche enthusiast.

Rear-engine cars have more corner-exit traction.  It's just physics.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Mike, taking into account the strengths and weakness of each, overall which has the better performance and easier to drive? 

--

Let's see... The dominant design for racing cars and high performance road cars is... mid-engine!

KMM:

Let's see... The dominant design for racing cars and high performance road cars is... mid-engine!

I believe he is talking about street cars, in which case that has no bearing. The dominant design for racing cars is a huge rear wing yet that doesn't mean Ferraris are inferior designs because they have no rear wings. I have yet to see a 911 mid-engine competitor that will outhandle it because of the fact that its mid-engined. Also mid-engine cars are not necesarily easier to drive than modern 911's, the lower polar moment of inertia can for example make it harder to regain control of it in certain situations, being less progressive. Not that ist that important since modern cars are not fool proof to drive anyway.

If the rear-engined car is a 911 with 50 years of improvement and evolution, then when comparing it over a mid-engined car its more a matter of taste and personal preference of its handling dinamics and character or even looks more than anything else, cause performance wise that will not matter, perfromance will depend on a miriad of other factors non-engine-placement related like engine type, chasis setup, etc of the patiticular 911 model you are comparing it to. Which is another great feature of the rear-engine platform, its versatility allows a version for everyone, from a 991GT3RS that can outhandle any mid-engine competitor to a 991TurboCab which can be more versatile and driveable than most similar performance cars.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    KMM:

I believe he is talking about street cars, in which case that has no bearing. The dominant design for racing cars is a huge rear wing yet that doesn't mean Ferraris are inferior designs because they have no rear wings. I have yet to see a 911 mid-engine competitor that will outhandle it because of the fact that its mid-engined. Also mid-engine cars are not necesarily easier to drive than modern 911's, the lower polar moment of inertia can for example make it harder to regain control of it in certain situations, being less progressive. Not that ist that important since modern cars are not fool proof to drive anyway.

If the rear-engined car is a 911 with 50 years of improvement and evolution, then when comparing it over a mid-engined car its more a matter of taste and personal preference of its handling dinamics and character or even looks more than anything else, cause performance wise that will not matter, perfromance will depend on a miriad of other factors non-engine-placement related like engine type, chasis setup, etc of the patiticular 911 model you are comparing it to. Which is another great feature of the rear-engine platform, its versatility allows a version for everyone, from a 991GT3RS that can outhandle any mid-engine competitor to a 991TurboCab which can be more versatile and driveable than most similar performance cars.

--

well, Carlos, is there a test which says that the GT3RS outhandles the 458speciale?

cheers peter

pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:
    KMM:

--

well, Carlos, is there a test which says that the GT3RS outhandles the 458speciale?

cheers peter

Let me put it a bit more blunt... 99% of the people here buying these cars is not able to extract enough out of either to ever know which would outhandle which at the extreme.

Any difference in favor of either is so negligeable in real life / real driver, that in the end the engine placement between the two is a null factor in terms of outright handling performance, but rather a more factor in handling"character", looks, etc which that 99% can actually appreciate. That is what rear-engine in 911 vs mid-engine is important when considering either.

If someone says, I like mid-egine because it allows for better looks IMO, that that I respect, if someone says I like mid-engine because how it feels in the conrers, that I respect 100%, and the opposite as well obvliuoly, but to presume a mid-enginer car will be faster than a comparable 911 because of its engine placement is laughable, to say it nicely, and mostly comes from "paper racers" Smiley its like saying that the 458speciale handles poorly next to a GT3RS because the GT3RS has a huge rear wing like race cars and the 458 does not Smiley

--

basically i agree with all you say but still i believe that in ideal circumstances mid-engine wins over rear. what is the important of this for us? none, just as you say!!! 

nevertheless i am still enchanted by how the 458 turns in, i have never experienced this in a 911. well, i shall know more when the RS comes::::)))

peter

Carlos, when Porsche builds a super car what engine configuration do they use?

Dont you see that if they built a high powered mid engine car it would dramatically reduce the interest in the 911. I am by no means an expert driver but probably have more experience than most in comparing both configurations since I have owned both and still do; Boxster S and GT 3 and not to mention all the Ferrari's and prior Porsche's.

The Boxster is a delight to drive and its handling is far and away better than the 911. I believe what you are referring to is the 911 can be more fun to drive because of its unique characteristics. That is not to say that the Boxster isn't fun to drive. Because it is. But some may get more satisfaction driving the 911.

--

What he is saying , is that for 99% of owners , one will not be faster in a mid engine v/s a rear engined car . For '' us'' the limitation is our driving skills, not where the engine is , as 911's have gotten to a point that they are as good as any mid engine car for non pro drivers . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Not sure I agree with that. Similarly powered cars assuming no advantage in weight and with factory set up most would drive faster in a mid engine car.

--

nberry:

Not sure I agree with that. Similarly powered cars assuming no advantage in weight and with factory set up most would drive faster in a mid engine car.

Maybe, ... maybe not.  I was faster at Mid-Ohio in the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 than I was in the Carrera GT, especially if limited to the factory set-up for the CGT (can you say oversteer?).

However, I challenge you to find room for ones luggage, helmet bag, car care supplies as well as a case of wine (for after the track closes for the day) in a mid-engined car.   I've tried it in both and I conclude that a 911 is way more overall fun.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

The Boxster has plenty of luggage space front and rear. I do agree that the 911 can be more fun depending on driver abilities.

My whole point is that should Porsche decide to build a high powered mid engine sport car the car would be so good that the 911 would suffer in sales which could lead to its demise.

--

outside of race tracks - the 911 is superior to the Mclaren,supperleggera & 458 I drove - not because faster but you can place the car being narrower much better and also the seat-position sitting more upright than for example in the lambo - some of the supercars are very wide and on a twisty mountain road u can reach the cars limit much faster than in a 458 for example. one of the reasons of why I am sticking with the 911,s - the confidence level is clearly higher and t4 you're faster

Rear engine with four wheel drive is also turning out to be a fun and quick combo for me. I especially like the thought of my manual mezger turbo becoming more valuable over time. Still driving it every day. Never put on snow tires this year thanks to global warming.  With 82000 miles and a new set of turbo boost controllers from EVO it is just getting quicker and quicker. Boost is instant with virtually no lag. I love the stock quiet sound though at redline there is a lot of mechanical noise from the mezger I love. Neighbors actually comment on liking the sound of the turbo.

Thwt said there is more fun with two wheel drive.  I would love to get a gt2 new as a next and last step up. If I get one new I will keep it. 

991 GT2 RS quite sure (and much more than just a current 991.2 Turbo S without AWD).

Come on RC give us some more crumbs Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

TB993tt:

991 GT2 RS quite sure (and much more than just a current 991.2 Turbo S without AWD).

Come on RC give us some more crumbs Smiley

I wish I had more crumbs. Smiley Maybe Bluelines knows more? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Maybe he does, but unfortunately he must adhere to secrecy.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Maybe he does, but unfortunately he must adhere to secrecy.

You are talking in third person now, your majesty? Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Christian, you mentioned the possibility of some hybrid tech element for the new 992 Turbo generation, and a precursor of that in the would-be 991.2 GT2 RS.

Could that relate to the previously rumoured tri-turbo configuration, with the third turbo being an electric compressor just like in the new Audi SQ7 (despite the latter being a Diesel, of course)?

olli:

Christian, you mentioned the possibility of some hybrid tech element for the new 992 Turbo generation, and a precursor of that in the would-be 991.2 GT2 RS.

Could that relate to the previously rumoured tri-turbo configuration, with the third turbo being an electric compressor just like in the new Audi SQ7 (despite the latter being a Diesel, of course)?

I don't have a clue to be honest. I only get bits of information at a time and then I need to kind of put them together, like a puzzle. Smiley It is my understanding that the next generation turbo may not have VTG chargers anymore and that a tri-turbo or tri-charger setup is possible (which could be two turbo chargers plus an electric compressor) but I heard that some sort of hybrid tech will be implemented, so I suppose Porsche plans a bit more than "just" an electric compressor. Just a guess though, sorry.

--

i was just told that i am number 1 on my dealer's list for the gt2rs, which guarantees me a car. i shall them choose between the gt2rs and the 488 speciale:::))))

A bonus of being in forums like this that have so much inside info before others which let's you put your name down for cars that even your dealer may not even know it's coming.

--

Carlos from Spain:

A bonus of being in forums like this that have so much inside info before others which let's you put your name down for cars that even your dealer may not even know it's coming.

I put down a deposit for the "next" GT2 RS with my dealer 3 years ago.  Because of 918, now it won't matter, I guess.

--

Mike

You knew the were going to make a GT2RS three years ago?

--

Bet you he also had a deposit down for the next Carrera RS, RS America, Speedster etc 

--

I was in my RRS driving on a highway today when a GT4 came zooming by trying to cut in and out of traffic just to get something out of the car. You could see the driver hoping for an opening to "experience the performance of the car" and get what he paid for.

As I am shaking my head it occurred to me that is what I do in my GT3. Just trying to find ways to get the maximum performance out of a very expensive sport car. What's point? Unless you track these babies, it is a total waste of money especially if you owned several. The thrill is gone.surprise

--

Welcome to the club.

nberry:

I was in my RRS driving on a highway today when a GT4 came zooming by trying to cut in and out of traffic just to get something out of the car. You could see the driver hoping for an opening to "experience the performance of the car" and get what he paid for.

As I am shaking my head it occurred to me that is what I do in my GT3. Just trying to find ways to get the maximum performance out of a very expensive sport car. What's point? Unless you track these babies, it is a total waste of money especially if you owned several. The thrill is gone.surprise

I see this happen almost everyday with young drivers behind the wheel in Golfs, Hondas, Vettes, Mustangs, SUV owners Smiley

Make the effort and go to the track !

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802486 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448323 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89887 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6363 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885255 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831749 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM