Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

-

-

-

-

-

All done John kiss

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Many thanks Easy - very much appreciated...wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Just a short explanation re the above 'blank' posts... There was a brief series of 'off-topic' posts which I asked a Moderator to delete.  Although the content was removed, it seems that the actual entries can't be...

Quick update on SharkWerks - Just returned from a long drive and the sound has been intoxicating!  Even better than when first fitted!!   blush

--

Grant:
    DaveGordon:

..and petrol's cheaper now, too blush

Just to make you Euro guys jealous, I just paid $1.24 per gallon for E85 fuel for my Evo (106 Octane, 85% Ethanol).  Comes to $0.32 per Liter...  Gasoline is a bit more, but only around $1.59 per gallon of low octane.

That's ridiculous - you're paying less per gallon than we're paying per litre!!! Smiley

I just filled up with Shell Nitro+ at £1.12 per litre - and that's down from about £1.30 a few months ago...Smiley

--

John H:

Quick update on SharkWerks - Just returned from a long drive and the sound has been intoxicating!  Even better than when first fitted!!   blush

Awesome John Smiley  I was wondering how the exhaust note would change with "break-in" ...glad you are  "getting high" with it!  Smiley

I plan on making the trip to Sharky's soon...if nothing else, I'm sure to enjoy the GTS (Cab) chat with a connoisseur! Smiley

John H:

Should get better still as the system burns in...Smiley 

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

doug1950:
    John H:

Awesome John Smiley  I was wondering how the exhaust note would change with "break-in" ...glad you are  "getting high" with it!  Smiley

I plan on making the trip to Sharky's soon...if nothing else, I'm sure to enjoy the GTS (Cab) chat with a connoisseur! Smiley

Good luck Doug - Sharky is one of the 'good guys'.. Smiley

Please keep us informed when you make your decision - I really think you wouldn't regret it..Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    John H:

Thanks DC - Is that what you found with your GTS?  At least, for me, it's not that I have to go through another full 'running in' process - I can already run at full revs..Smiley  If it still keeps getting better, that'll be a bonus - I'm absolutely delighted with it as it is..Smiley

--

John H:
    dreamcar:
    John H:

Thanks DC - Is that what you found with your GTS?  At least, for me, it's not that I have to go through another full 'running in' process - I can already run at full revs..Smiley  If it still keeps getting better, that'll be a bonus - I'm absolutely delighted with it as it is..Smiley

Yes very much so - none of the many video clips really reproduce the Boxster / Cayman GTS sound accurately - but it is an almost non-Porsche sound. In sport plus it is truly awesome. Smiley Smiley. Definitely louder than our 997/2 C2S that also had PSE. Of course the open top helps the surround sound experience! Smiley

--

Chris Meredith of APB Motorsport, who supplied and fitted my SharkWerks exhaust by-pass, has given me a price for two further 'mods' for my 997 GTS...

The photo I posted earlier, of our cars side-by-side, clearly shows the comparison... Here is a close up of his GTS for more detail...

Front splitter & Zunsport grilles.jpg

These are the prices he has quoted:-

PORSCHE Aero kit front splitter assembly   £335.00

Cost to prepare and paint to OE black finish  £40.00

Zunsport full front grill kit (5 pieces)               £199.50

ABP Labour to install front spoiler & grills       £90.00

TOTAL PRICE                                               £664.50 including VAT

Any comments, opinions or recommendations from you guys would be much appreciated...

--

John if you like it and to your eyes the mod improves the look of your car (which are the only ones that matter because it's your car) go ahead and go for it. There's no right or wrong here!  Smiley Except if the mods make your classic GTS look like a wannabe GT3...Smiley

I did think about the Zunsport grilles for our baby GTS if only to protect the front radiators from FOD. Smiley

--

The splitter is not painted on 997.2 GT3/RS cars.

Seems expensive at £335 .. I wonder what an OPC would charge to supply?

Could you not order the OEM grills used for the 997.2 GT3/RS cars? I think it's the same bumper? Even if not, useful to compare prices?

@DC, I have the Zunsport grilles installed and I am happy with these.

d997h:

I have the Zunsport grilles installed and I am happy with these.

Daniel - What model do you drive?  What price did you pay? - many thanks..Smiley

--

dreamcar:

John if you like it and to your eyes the mod improves the look of your car (which are the only ones that matter because it's your car) go ahead and go for it. There's no right or wrong here!  Smiley Except if the mods make your classic GTS look like a wannabe GT3...Smiley

I did think about the Zunsport grilles for our baby GTS if only to protect the front radiators from FOD. Smiley

I won't be fitting a rear spoiler - so no GT3 wannabe...Smiley Smiley

I'm thinking of grilles, not only to protect the radiators from damage, but also to alleviate the constant gathering of leaves which are potentially just as harmful...Smiley 

--

sfo:

The splitter is not painted on 997.2 GT3/RS cars.

Seems expensive at £335 .. I wonder what an OPC would charge to supply?

Could you not order the OEM grills used for the 997.2 GT3/RS cars? I think it's the same bumper? Even if not, useful to compare prices?

Useful points - many thanks... Will do some comparisons..Smiley

--

John, I understood your desire for more sound (even if I think that the GTS with "open" flaps has enough sound) but everything else you want to do? Not my thing. Leave the car original, seriously. 

I told you that you got the "bored owner" itch, even if you don't believe it. Next year, you will be looking after a new car (991.1 GTS or maybe even the next 991.2 GTS) I'm afraid. So why spend so much money on the "old" one?!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

He is not talking huge money there... That said I don't like mods unless they are from the factory or very easily taken out. Diminishes the value of the car IMHO.

RC:

I told you that you got the "bored owner" itch, even if you don't believe it. Next year, you will be looking after a new car (991.1 GTS or maybe even the next 991.2 GTS) I'm afraid. So why spend so much money on the "old" one?!

You know RC you might be right (for once)Smiley

John started this GTS thread to celebrate replacing his previous faithful 997 C2S which he paid an emotional farewell to after having had the car five and a half years. Now I reckon the five year itch might just have started again.......Smiley 

Not that I am in any position to pass judgement, I've never resisted the itch on any car for as long as five years Smiley

I wouldn't blame him though as the 991 GTS is a pretty nice piece of kit......Smiley John when you read this - the 991 GTS looks best in carmine red  Smiley

--

SciFrog:

He is not talking huge money there... That said I don't like mods unless they are from the factory or very easily taken out. Diminishes the value of the car IMHO.

Exactly, even if they are done with factory parts but to each his own I guess.

I was a huge fan of third party mods in the past but whenever I had something done, I had issues. Even from high quality stuff. No thanks.

In John's case, the mods are minor and with original factory parts but still, Porsche would never do this without the rear wing, so... Smiley Even if aerodynamics may not be important at the speeds driven in the UK, it just looks wrong in my opinion. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

@JohnH, together with "dreamcar" I represent the very very exclusive "Cayman and Boxster GTS by personal invitation only group" in this forum...Smiley

I ordered the grills directly on the zunsport website last year and was able to claim a rebate with a discount code (10 %) zunsport offered for planet-9.com members. I would just give them a ring and ask - they have been very helpful and delivery was fast and without problems.  Hope, this helps.

RC:

John, I understood your desire for more sound (even if I think that the GTS with "open" flaps has enough sound) but everything else you want to do? Not my thing. Leave the car original, seriously. 

Haha Christian, you're still convinced that I'm a "bored owner" Smiley  To be honest, I'd never even thought of the front splitter until Chris pointed it out on his car.  I'm still not convinced that I need it, not in the way that I really needed better sound! Smiley 

The grilles I had been thinking of - to alleviate the constant clearing out of leaves.  I was serious when I mentioned earlier that I consider this car to be a 'keeper' - It has, and does, everything I could want in a sports car and I won't be tempted to move on to a 991 or any future turbos that Porsche have in mind..Smiley

I very much appreciate your posts and your time taken in making them...Smiley

--

John, I hope you don't misunderstand me but I have been there. 

--

John, My opinion FWIW having modded many cars over the years and some massively. Almost always small mods (reversible) that enhance rather than large mods (irreversable) that make it into  feeling a different car work best. I appreciate yours are small mods and i would say spoiler no and the grills yes as they sort a technical  issue. Im working on the DSC module settings and once I have perfected you can have a try and see if its for you. The three mods for me are DSC, sharkwerks, rear carrera badge delete  and maybe lower springs but I doubt this one.

Many thanks for the advice Nigel..kiss

Chris also has lowered springs, but that's not for me.  Will be interested to try your DSC unit on the PASM when you get it sorted... I've pretty much decided that I'll get the grilles fitted but not the splitter.  What will you replace your rear badge with?

Sorry I didn't phone you last week (very busy with work) - will definitely contact you over the week-end to arrange a meet...wink

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802486 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448323 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89887 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6363 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885255 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831755 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM