Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: The moment I've been waiting for...

Pilot:

To be honest I am not all that familiar with the series myself so I can't really say if it stays true to the original stories. What I can say is that it was a well-made movie with great acting and emotional depth. Without giving away the whole plot: it focuses specifically on an aging Sherlock Holmes and his life after he left his career as a detective. As you'd expect there are familiar elements from his life of solving cases (and references to specific ones) but the film goes beyond that in scope to bring in the role of memory and it introduces extra complexity when it comes to unsolved cases or those that did not end as Holmes had wished. The film explores a more personal side of Holmes and the effect his career has had on his life. I would say it is definitely worth seeing :)

Cool, I was hoping for something like that, will go and see when it comes out over here. Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Exhibit #244  smiley

We arrived a little early at the movie theater and naturally I started shooting away since you never know what tricks the sun has up her sleeves ;-)  Photography has been one of my other passions for many, many years and I'm still learning new things. kiss

@Joost:  If you haven't seen it already, I can also recommend "The Age Of Adaline" with Harrison Ford and Blake Lively.

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Pilot:
    Lars997:

What is the main difference of such an helicopter? Is it the power or more agile? Also - I thought the EC135  is the most advanced helicopter in this class (but maybe double priced)? At least look wise the EC135 looks like out of this century while the Airbus looks a bit dated?

Sorry Lars997 I just realized I never answered your questions.

The EC135, now also part of the Airbus family, is a heavier twin-engine helicopter and therefore is more costly to purchase and operate. The B3 is a single-engine helicopter and a lighter aircraft which is what we want for high altitude performance, speed and improved range. The latter is just a dream to fly, much like the GT3 RS is a dream to drive. Smiley

In terms of looks, I guess it's pretty subjective. I personally prefer the B3 over the EC135 because it looks less bulky and this also makes it easier to fly in strong winds.

Thanks mate for the inside explanations.... I really love technology and have only basic understanding of helicopters (due to remote control experience which I do since I'm a kid). You explanations make totally sense and I should have come up with it myself. Thanks mate... I enjoyed the read!!!

A night full of vampires ... smiley

Ever since Joost blew my cover it is getting more and more difficult to get away with things! indecision  This shot is from last night approaching runway 22L at Los Alamitos Army Airfield (KSLI). The wind was light with some drizzle in the vicinity of the airport. The mission-- night emergency procedure training with a sheriff pilot.

I have to say that I love flying after sunset as much as I do driving my RS at night. I can’t wait to take my wife on a date night again… cool

@Lars997:  You're welcome! By the way, I love the sound the Fenestron makes!!

--

I thought of you when I came across this set of videos; Nick Murray does some very well filmed and entertaining videos on his cars (Porsches included), but he also is learning to fly helicopter, and this is a nicely simplified video on flying the Robinson R44 (a very common small helicopter for non-lifting passenger work, flat 6 piston powered).  His proficiency with multiple cameras, and his ability to be articulate as an enthusiast help these work very well - at least for the many of us who just fly in helicopters, not pilot them!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COWmTz0vNyI

He has also done vids for a Eurocopter 120, and Bell 206 Jetranger.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

I thought of you when I came across this set of videos; Nick Murray does some very well filmed and entertaining videos on his cars (Porsches included), but he also is learning to fly helicopter, and this is a nicely simplified video on flying the Robinson R44 (a very common small helicopter for non-lifting passenger work, flat 6 piston powered).  His proficiency with multiple cameras, and his ability to be articulate as an enthusiast help these work very well - at least for the many of us who just fly in helicopters, not pilot them!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COWmTz0vNyI

He has also done vids for a Eurocopter 120, and Bell 206 Jetranger.  

Eey, don't let this guy in a helicopter! Smiley Every car he touches falls to pieces... Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

From Night to Daylight

Took this just a few hours ago with my new 6s. If you keep cruising in this direction for another 14h and 40 min in a 747 you will end up in Sydney, Australia. It was a beautiful morning to fly here in California. Endless water everywhere...

Who can guess where I took this next photo? Yes, that's right. Another cockpit view from a different pilot seat. Can't wait to start up the engine of this baby. It is Friday after all, which means fun times in the RS :)

--

Enjoy...kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I miss the days when I had to take a helicopter for work twice a week. Those were the days.

And on a completely different note your wife has good taste in bags, but if I remember correctly your daughter has an eye for fashion.  I just got myself an LV card holder that I'd been eyeing for a while. 

John, "roger that" as we would say on the radio.  kiss

Enmanuel, your memory serves you right about my daughter. She likes this purse as much as her mom does.

Enjoy your new card holder! Once you get hooked on LV there is no coming back. Their products are outstanding in practicality and quality.

--

Some Jack, a Coke, and his woman ... smiley

What more can a pilot ask for on his 28th anniversary? Not much actually, at least not this pilot ;-) Seeing his love through the lens of his camera is eye candy by itself!

Here is to a very special girl. cool

--

Wedded bliss...

My sweetheart, flying, and the GT3 RS have one thing in common for me: they all make my heart beat faster. Our anniversary couldn't have been nicer and I wish it would have never ended. The weather was perfect and so were the drinks. We started out at the Ritz bar next to the fireplace; the warm reflections of the flames created the perfect moment ...

A special hug and kiss goes to my daughter for making a custom black veil for her mom to have for the celebration.

--

Congrats Pilot & Mrs.Pilot! 

--

Joost:

+1 SmileySmiley

Enmanuel:
    Joost:

+1 SmileySmiley

+ 1 congratulations ! Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

Mrs. Pilot and I say thank you and we wish you guys a very lovely weekend!!   

--

Dark forces...

... don't just apply to Star Wars (which we just watched in 3D). It was a bitter cold night at sea level for Southern California residents ;-) The roads and freeways past midnight were almost empty and under these conditions the RS motor delivered its dark and mean power in a new and intoxicating way...

Can't wait to ring in the new year! wink

--

Sydney when it Sizzles...

Liftoff tonight— the pilot is on the move again ;-)

I'm currently heading to LAX where a beautiful QANTAS A380-800 will take us back to Sydney. The mission: to celebrate both my darling's birthday and Valentine's! 

It is summer in Australia and I've been looking forward to this trip so much. Our California winter was a bit too cold for my taste and I can't wait to enjoy the warm ocean water and longer days again. It already feels like a honeymoon flight and I'm sure it will be great.

Meanwhile my GT3 RS is tucked away for the time of our vacation and is patiently waiting to be called on for duty when we return :)

I will try and keep this thread updated in near realtime as we go.

P.S. It would be great to meet up with any Sydney-based Rennteam members. 

--

21:18 local time

We are at the airport now and have already checked in. Security screening is still painful and I still don't like it...I really hate it when TSA goes through my briefcase! 

Other then that it is great here at LAX. My family is happy and in a good mood :) My daughter is trying to get a good shot of the A380 and judging by her smile I think she was successful ;-)

--

Onboard now and ready for push-back! 😎 The flight time is estimated at 15 hours.

--

Enjoy your holidays   Nice you are keeping this thread alive !

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Thanks Gnil. My family says hello! Taxing to the runway as we speak...😊

--

Enjoy your time GG! Looking fwd to the 380 shot! These beasts are impressive... my company makes some of the fuselage panels, which are easily 4 x 12m... Seeing these panels in our facility is already impressive, let alone having the entire thing in front of you!
    Anyway, have a safe trip, and enjoy the anniversary/birthday!

--

Flew the A380 many times, still impressed how quiet and how good the air quality is inside...

Good luck on your trip ! 

En route...

We are currently flying towards Hawaii through some choppy air (which my wife and daughter aren't fond of) but the Airbus A380 seems to handle it rather well. It feels very solid and tightly built and doesn't rattle nearly as much as a 747 would in these conditions. The pilot keeps changing heading, speed, and altitude to try and get us back to smoother air; at one point we initiated a descent from our normal cruising altitude down to as low as 27,000 feet.

Being on board the A380 is a first for me. ATC (Air Traffic Control) uses the suffix "super" to warn about the risk of wake turbulence (wingtip vortices and jetwash) after the aircraft call sign for the A380s instead of "heavy" like for a 747, and I can see why ;-)

Roaring down the runway at Los Angeles Airport with all four engines on full blast never gets old, particularly at night. Takeoff thrust was amazing. As soon as we crossed the shoreline we continued the climb on our assigned heading over open sea before the tower switched us to SoCal Departure.

We just crossed the Equator and are now officially in the Southern Hemisphere. I can't sleep, so I started working on the Valentine's card for Mrs. Pilot ;-) I hope she doesn't wake up while I'm trying to come up with something special for her :)

On a side note, the first card you see on my briefcase with the hearts on it is from our anniversary last November. Whenever I find a nice card I buy it right away, so I ended up with all three well in advance of when I needed them.

Okay, it has been more than eight hours since we left U.S. soil which means that there should be light coming up at the end of the sky soon!

--

Wednesday, February 10th, 09:00 local time.

We just touched down safely at Sydney International Airport (ICAO code YSSY), also known as Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport. The A380 was slightly slower than the mighty 747, but hey who is counting?

The flight across the Pacific from Los Angeles is about two thirds at night, flying through endless darkness, which is good for the passengers as well as the pilots ;-)

My family is tired after this long flight but at the same time we are excited to be back! I hope Customs doesn't take too long so we can be on our way soon. First stop will be downtown Sydney to pick up a last minute birthday gift for my cupcake. More about that later...

By the way, OAT (outside air temperature) on my 6S shows as 24 degree Celsius-- a fine day as our captain said ;)

Signing off for now. 

--

Wednesday, 15:24 local time.

We made it...

After being on the "road" for over 24 hours we arrived at our final destination— Seal Rocks!

It is so amazingly beautiful here! More to follow soon...we are so happy to be able to celebrate in Australia! ❤️

Yay for summer time :)

--

Brilliant pictures Pilot, thanks for sharing!! 

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

The next day...

It is Thursday here in Australia. Local time is 12:08 pm. We played in the waves this morning, enjoying the water that's comfortably warm at 24C :)

Writing about this or posting photos doesn't do justice to how nice it is here. Not even a video would cut it. There is something really special about this place and it has already affected my whole family.

Every time I come here it is like falling in love all over again. Starting out with the long flight across the Pacific, flying over the Equator, to finally jumping a day as you pass through the international date line.

Landing in Sydney is the icing on the cake. We were able to approach directly from the sea instead of flying a full traffic pattern which I'm sure the crew appreciated after a 15 hour flight with some turbulence along the way.

Thank you all for the very positive comments!

P.S. TSA must have read my post above... Instead of texting, calling, or paging me, they decided to break the locks on one of my Rimowa suitcases to do some more "inspection" :( I understand their security concerns, but that's not the best way to go about it...

Now it is time for my editor in chief (daughter) to proof read this before I get the green light to post it on Rennteam haha ;-)

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689257 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255682 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234933 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65489 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773861 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM