Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Banned By Tesla

apias:

Apparently, Elon Musk didn't enjoy a post by Stewart Alsop that criticized the Model X launch event so Musk personally cancelled Alsop's order for a Model X, and apparently Alsop isn't allowed to buy any other Tesla either.

Yeah, I read this. Pretty childish but to be honest, understandable. For Elon Musk, Tesla is his baby. This is like someone insulting your kid, you will retaliate.  I just hope that Elon Musk shows greatness and personally delivers him the car, to actually mock him. Would be the greater way to "punish" that guy.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Can you imagine if everyone on RT who has in some way criticized Porsche over the past years had their orders taken away??  IMO shows the distance Tesla has to go, in order to become a mature company (hint: a mature CEO for a start). 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

Can you imagine if everyone on RT who has in some way criticized Porsche over the past years had their orders taken away??  IMO shows the distance Tesla has to go, in order to become a mature company (hint: a mature CEO for a start). 

Smiley They would have towed my 918 away in the middle of the nightSmiley

--

Well, maybe this guy will get the last laugh when Tesla's valuation plummets back to reality when people realize they may never become profitable and every manufacturer on Earth pumps out EVs with the same range.

Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Smiley They would have towed my 918 away in the middle of the nightSmiley

Whoopsy, there cannot be any company you have not criticized yet - you would be riding bicycles everywhere... Smiley

--

He'd probably be walking... barefoot... naked.

apias:

Apparently, Elon Musk didn't enjoy a post by Stewart Alsop that criticized the Model X launch event so Musk personally cancelled Alsop's order for a Model X, and apparently Alsop isn't allowed to buy any other Tesla either.

I had some difficulty to believe this news but apparently it´s true, only reaction one can have about this is SmileySmiley 

Please, not selling a car because someone said bad things about it SmileySmiley it´s the car joke of the year.

--

J.Seven

RC:
    apias:

Yeah, I read this. Pretty childish but to be honest, understandable. For Elon Musk, Tesla is his baby. This is like someone insulting your kid, you will retaliate.  I just hope that Elon Musk shows greatness and personally delivers him the car, to actually mock him. Would be the greater way to "punish" that guy.

I second that.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

apias:

I read his post about the BMW X1 and I think he is just trying to profit from bad publicity. Musk should have ignored him.

Mr Musk needs to grow up

This was a practice that Enzo Ferrari did in the old days; not selling cars to people he did not like (i.e. Ferruccio Lamborghini).

4trac:

+1

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

m4ever:

This was a practice that Enzo Ferrari did in the old days; not selling cars to people he did not like (i.e. Ferruccio Lamborghini).

And look how much good that did him.  Smiley

--

fritz

apias:

He'd probably be walking... barefoot... naked.

Buddy you know me so well Smiley

I might not even have a home, or a passport Smiley

--

Thinking more about this story, it is a good example of what in consultant and board circles is called Founder's Syndrome.  A link to a definition is attached below, but I expect that many on RT are also part of corporate boards, and are familiar.  Basically, the entrepreneur whose energy and vision has started a company and navigated its first challenges, is almost always, at some point, the wrong person to lead the company to the later stages of growth and success.  Either the founder learns new ways to lead and manage, or boards have to gently push the founder aside and bring in professional management.  Having been on two boards that had to shove founders out, I can attest it is a difficult and very emotional task.

There are very few exceptions to this in tech companies, Steve Jobs and Apple being one (though many would argue Jobs never did learn new leadership skills appropriate to Apple's size). I would guess Mr. Musk sees himself as a Jobs style exception. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinready/2012/07/10/founders-syndrome-the-third-rail-of-the-startup-world/#61497fac5cec

--

4trac:

Thinking more about this story, it is a good example of what in consultant and board circles is called Founder's Syndrome.  A link to a definition is attached below, but I expect that many on RT are also part of corporate boards, and are familiar.  Basically, the entrepreneur whose energy and vision has started a company and navigated its first challenges, is almost always, at some point, the wrong person to lead the company to the later stages of growth and success.  Either the founder learns new ways to lead and manage, or boards have to gently push the founder aside and bring in professional management.  Having been on two boards that had to shove founders out, I can attest it is a difficult and very emotional task.

There are very few exceptions to this in tech companies, Steve Jobs and Apple being one (though many would argue Jobs never did learn new leadership skills appropriate to Apple's size). I would guess Mr. Musk sees himself as a Jobs style exception. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinready/2012/07/10/founders-syndrome-the-third-rail-of-the-startup-world/#61497fac5cec

There is quite some truth in this.

Elon Musk acted childish but I understand why he did it. Now he has to show greatness and prove that he is really that great mind everyone is talking about, stopping the "ban" and delivering the car personally to that guy. I even think this would be even good publicity for Musk but I doubt he is going to do it.

I looked at his rise (family, wife, kid) and it is typical for someone who is very ambitious, self-centered and restless. Some people may even call such a person an egomaniac. Yes, he did many great things one can only dream about (I think that Tesla is an amazing company, even if I don't trust them to be profitable...ever), I also love his involvement with space tech and even that Hyperloop sounds like something amazing but I think that he needs to learn to be a decent human being...and family person. For me, the family has always been the factor which gave me strength and optimism and I think it does the same to many other people. I also think that you can be successful without leaving the family behind and this is exactly what he, in my opinion, did. Your own flesh and blood is more important than anything in this world but Elon Musk will probably realize this only when his success story stalls. 

This article (written by his ex-wife Justine) shows quite well what a person Elon Musk is:  http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/advice/a5380/millionaire-starter-wife/ (read it, it is worth it, this is not your typical "I hate my ex thing"...).

He is actually one of the billionaires I do not envy at all because I feel a little bit sorry for him, as weird as this may sound. He is doing great things and this seems to give him the ultimate satisfaction but in reality, I think he misses out on the most wonderful experience in a lifetime, the family experience. I just hope that his kids are going to be happy and while I understand why he seems to shut them out of his life (according to the article), the death of his first child may have had some psychological impact on Musk, something he never recovered from. It wasn't his fault and he should have given family a second chance but although he put so many kids in this world, they need a father to be close to them, not only money. 

So yes, I pity him, which is sad for me because I also admire him.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Careful RC. You might be banned next from owning a Tesla. 

Leawood911:

Careful RC. You might be banned next from owning a Tesla. 

I'm not important enough to be even a small coffee spot on his breakfast table. Smiley

--

My parking garage is getting 2 or 3 Tesla chargers smiley Time to rethink the Model X vs AMG 63 AMG.

RC:

This article (written by his ex-wife Justine) shows quite well what a person Elon Musk is:  http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/advice/a5380/millionaire-starter-wife/ (read it, it is worth it, this is not your typical "I hate my ex thing"...).

He is actually one of the billionaires I do not envy at all because I feel a little bit sorry for him, as weird as this may sound. He is doing great things and this seems to give him the ultimate satisfaction but in reality, I think he misses out on the most wonderful experience in a lifetime, the family experience. I just hope that his kids are going to be happy and while I understand why he seems to shut them out of his life (according to the article), the death of his first child may have had some psychological impact on Musk, something he never recovered from. It wasn't his fault and he should have given family a second chance but although he put so many kids in this world, they need a father to be close to them, not only money. 

So yes, I pity him, which is sad for me because I also admire him.

Thanks for the link.  Very interesting read.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Where did I read??  "If the Tesla had a gasoline engine it would be the best car made in the world!"

964C2:

Where did I read??  "If the Tesla had a gasoline engine it would be the best car made in the world!"

I don't know but certainly not in Germany. Smiley I drove the P85D and while it is an amazing tech demonstration, it is not an amazing car. I love it for it's tech and it is impressive but as a car or even daily driver, no thanks. Seriously.

It has nothing to do with the engine but the quality level felt more similar to the Jeep SRT I own rather than the Macan my wife has or the 991 GTS I own. Even the Mini JCW has a better interior quality feel than the Tesla. 

The P85D I test-drove had fog (water) in the tail lights, the leather didn't smell too pleasant and it just didn't feel like the 140k EUR car it was.

Also, handling was not really a highlight, this thing is way too heavy. Even my Jeep SRT felt sportier.

--

Why not? Everyone raves about them. Personally the big issue is the interior quality that still seems way lower than German counterparts...

The Tesla will be a perfect car if it had a nicer interior and a onboard gasoline engine for backup power. 

--

Well I would not even consider it if it had a gasoline engine for backup. Full electric or nothing.

SciFrog:

Well I would not even consider it if it had a gasoline engine for backup. Full electric or nothing.

You wouldn't say this if you live in Germany. In full power mode and driving full throttle on the Autobahn, you would be lucky if the battery lasts for a range slightly over 100 km. The is unacceptable. My 991.1 GTS does 270 km under the same conditions. I think Whoopsy is making a good point here but unfortunately, this would make the Tesla even heavier.

--

For Germany the aux engine wouldn't be enough to sustain high speed on the autobahn anyway... How many people drive full throttle in Germany though? I suspect not that many.

SciFrog:

For Germany the aux engine wouldn't be enough to sustain high speed on the autobahn anyway... How many people drive full throttle in Germany though? I suspect not that many.

True but most M5, S63, etc. drivers I "meet" on the Autobahn are usually going faster than many Porsches I meet. I never really understood that, so many 911 drivers are driving below 200 kph on the Autobahn. Smiley

--

You are a good driver and love fast speeds. Many people are very uncomfortable driving above 200kph. I totally understand that.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759611 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433745 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80595 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870691 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805697 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM