Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: VW caught cheating emissions tests

Whoopsy:

I would actually loved to see Dish go bankrupt from the fines. They should be made an example of violating people's privacy. Which is a much bigger issue than spewing out a tiny extra amount of green house gases from the VW diesel cars, the scale of which is dwarf by the California gas leak. 

Two totally different scenarios. VW lied and cheated and everyone knew at the company what was going on. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-investigation-shows-many-bosses-192441893.html

The situation here in Los Angeles is different, more like a company's ineptness on how to deal with a crisis. The Southern California Gas Company will be fined, but there was no criminal intent like VW.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

The EU is pissed at VW for improving their "im sorry" giveback, but not doing it for any EU customers.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

vtrader:
    Whoopsy:

I would actually loved to see Dish go bankrupt from the fines. They should be made an example of violating people's privacy. Which is a much bigger issue than spewing out a tiny extra amount of green house gases from the VW diesel cars, the scale of which is dwarf by the California gas leak. 

Two totally different scenarios. VW lied and cheated and everyone knew at the company what was going on. (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-investigation-shows-many-bosses-192441893.html

The situation here in Los Angeles is different, more like a company's ineptness on how to deal with a crisis. The Southern California Gas Company will be fined, but there was no criminal intent like VW.

Or perhaps the gas company knew the risk beforehand and still went ahead anyway?

--

Volkswagen May Buy Back Diesel Cars It Can’t Fix

Oh boy. Just think of the exhaust emissions they'll cause: 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/vw-volkswagen-currywurst-sausages-emissions-scandal-a6883751.html

--

fritz

Groan.....

Also Mercedes had the devices, that's so awkward because the Benz CEO was really strongly against it. 

--

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Apparently Mitsubishi just admitted to lying on economy figures for over 600,000 cars sold in Japan. No word on cars sold elsewhere though.

Manufacturers' estimate of fuel economy were never ever accurate anyway. Whatever number EPA published, I always take a 30% cut.

The testing cycle is so unrealistic that it's pointless.

--

Looks like VW will be in the business of buying cars.

http://www.reuters.com/article/volkswagen-emissions-usa-idUSL2N17N1PA

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

http://www.20min.ch/finance/news/story/17802398

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

nberry:

Looks like VW will be in the business of buying cars.

http://www.reuters.com/article/volkswagen-emissions-usa-idUSL2N17N1PA

Leave it to the sometime disaster prone Germans to achieve a new automotive record. VW might be buying more cars than they will be selling in the US for awhile.

Were VW executives and Takata execs born with the same lucky genes?  http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

Everyone cheated - get over it. Those who think that their mighty diesels were "clean" are morons anyways. VW will now use this dark time to trigger a switch to EV development as I predicted last year. I still find it really funny that of all places, the US went after them.. considering they are in the dark ages when it comes to environmental protection and climate change realization broken heart

--

1461390310857suicide.gif

Atzporsche:

Everyone cheated - get over it. Those who think that their mighty diesels were "clean" are morons anyways. VW will now use this dark time to trigger a switch to EV development as I predicted last year. I still find it really funny that of all places, the US went after them.. considering they are in the dark ages when it comes to environmental protection and climate change realization broken heart

Congratulations. You just became a member of the IDKTDBCAN (I don't know the difference between CO2 and NOx) association. Smiley Smiley

A V8 with 500 hp fuel engine is less directly harmful to the health of an individual than a family station wagon with a 200 hp Diesel. Many people, especially in Europe, don't want to hear (or believe) that because for ages, they have been indoctrinated with lies from car manufacturers and governments actually supported this lie for various reasons.

CO2 may be harmful for the environment on a long term run but NOx is directly harmful for your health. Just ask an asthmatic about it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

VW Group also wants to cut down on model variation throughout all brands, over 40 variants/models will disappear. 

Among them, as rumored: The Panamera Sport Turismo (Panamera station wagon), maybe even the Cayman. These are rumors...take them with a grain of salt.

Also, a new market orientation, based on brand awareness, is planned. This could also  mean the end of the Audi R8, the VW Eos and Scirocco. Instead, the R8 could be replaced by a Porsche variant and the Scirocco by a cheaper Porsche model, priced under the Boxster.

The various planned Audi Q model range Coupes are also under reconsideration.

Again...lots of rumors right now...take them with a grain of salt but the model/variations cut and the new market orientation based on brand awareness is a real thing, it has already been signed off. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Not a moment too soon...strategically they definitely need to disentangle the blatantly obvious overlap and duplication among VW group product offerings in the various car segements.

Piech will probably oppose moving the R8 product slot over to Porsche...

olli:

Not a moment too soon...strategically they definitely need to disentangle the blatantly obvious overlap and duplication among VW group product offerings in the various car segements.

The R8 doesn't make any sense in the Audi model family, only the RS models do.

Just today, I talked to my Audi dealer and he told me that he visited the Quattro GmbH last year and watched the R8 production. After talking to the people working there, he came under the impression that they are so proud of their job there that they are calling themselves Quattro GmbH employees, not Audi employees. Weird, isn't it? I wasn't aware of that (if true).

In my opinion, it would be a genius move if the Quattro GmbH would be integrated with Porsche and then Audi could claim that the RS models are developed by Porsche. The R8 would be a fine mid engined Porsche 960, something Porsche really needs. The current V10 engine is a treat but I doubt it would survive under Porsche management. Smiley

Well, I guess we all know this will not happen...Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    olli:

Just today, I talked to my Audi dealer and he told me that he visited the Quattro GmbH last year and watched the R8 production. After talking to the people working there, he came under the impression that they are so proud of their job there that they are calling themselves Quattro GmbH employees, not Audi employees. Weird, isn't it? I wasn't aware of that (if true).

In my opinion, it would be a genius move if the Quattro GmbH would be integrated with Porsche and then Audi could claim that the RS models are developed by Porsche. The R8 would be a fine mid engined Porsche 960, something Porsche really needs. The current V10 engine is a treat but I doubt it would survive under Porsche management. Smiley

I doubt if the n/a V10 will survive anyway sadly, it will go the same way as all the fine non-turbo engines, sacrificied at the altar to the environment Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

According to my Audi dealer, the next R8 (base model) variant will have a V6 bi-turbo engine with 500 hp. No more V8 for the R8 as it seems. Sad. 

Audi wants to keep the V10 for the whole current R8 generation but if it isn't possible, they could switch to a turbo charged V8 instead (according to my dealer...again).

So even if a turbo charged R8 could get 700 hp, I'm not interested with the fabulous V10 engine. This is a monster and I love it. I guess only the Lamborghini V12 is nicer...

--

RC:
    olli:

Actually, it isn't really weird. As the "GmbH" tells you, it is a distinct, separate company in the companies' register, even though it is owned by Audi, which is in turn owned by the VW Group.
    Audi employees will not refer to themselves as VW employees, and the Foxconn workers who assemble iPhones in China don't think of themselves as Apple employees. 

--

fritz

RC:

According to my Audi dealer, the next R8 (base model) variant will have a V6 bi-turbo engine with 500 hp. No more V8 for the R8 as it seems. Sad. 

Audi wants to keep the V10 for the whole current R8 generation but if it isn't possible, they could switch to a turbo charged V8 instead (according to my dealer...again).

So even if a turbo charged R8 could get 700 hp, I'm not interested with the fabulous V10 engine. This is a monster and I love it. I guess only the Lamborghini V12 is nicer...

Your comments exactly echo mine with the prospect of a Boxster GTS 4 cyl turbo.....Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

Wonder where it will be when the dust settles. That's just a US settlement for 500K cars. How many cars globally are breaking the law?

So, is it a viable strategy to go out and buy as many used VW 2.0 diesels in the US as I can and sell them back to VW overpriced?

...one comment below says:...VW is now a milk cow for the crowd...this comment is IMO very true and sad to read as it gives a accurate reflection of what is going on in (parts of) our society...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM