Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: new 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

Lars997:
    EnglishManInNY:

Question: if you own a 991.1 TTS cab like me - does the 991.2 TTS represent a good enough reason to upgrade?

Why would you do that. You have already a fantastic car. It is not getting worse just there is a slightly better one on the market. I regret every single 911 I owned and sold. I wished to have every single car back. I would stick with an earlier one instead of the latest greatest. Being realistic - you just burn a lot of money for getting almost the same car again. And in couple of years, the older the better! Stick with it and buy another toy with the money you did safe!

Smiley Also, I think that the 992 Turbo S is going to be a very interesting product, hybrid tech and all. I don't say it is going to be more emotional than the current one but certainly an interesting car because of lots of new tech, incl. a new interior.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Lars997:
    EnglishManInNY:

Question: if you own a 991.1 TTS cab like me - does the 991.2 TTS represent a good enough reason to upgrade?

Why would you do that. You have already a fantastic car. It is not getting worse just there is a slightly better one on the market. I regret every single 911 I owned and sold. I wished to have every single car back. I would stick with an earlier one instead of the latest greatest. Being realistic - you just burn a lot of money for getting almost the same car again. And in couple of years, the older the better! Stick with it and buy another toy with the money you did safe!

Smiley Also, I think that the 992 Turbo S is going to be a very interesting product, hybrid tech and all. I don't say it is going to be more emotional than the current one but certainly an interesting car because of lots of new tech, incl. a new interior.

SmileyI agree on that. They have to do a leap jump into the next generations of car. But as VW has budget problems I doubt to see a leap jump! I agree - hybrid tech would make the car very interesting. A Mini-918 - maybe? We will see soon, but again - all comes and goes with the VW budget!

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:
    EnglishManInNY:

SmileyI agree on that. They have to do a leap jump into the next generations of car. But as VW has budget problems I doubt to see a leap jump! I agree - hybrid tech would make the car very interesting. A Mini-918 - maybe? We will see soon, but again - all comes and goes with the VW budget!

Or just leave them to rely on their own (Porsche) budget. I don't see what Porsche has to do with the VW fiasco...

Especially considering that Porsche's profits are nearly the same as VW's, with much lower volume. Saw this a minute ago: Porsche Working on 911 Plug-in Hybrid, Not a Full EV . And, obviously, this is the tricky part:

... “I think that takes some time to bring to market, with the packaging problems of the car,” [Mössle] said. “There are a lot of problems to solve before [then].”

Mössle also admitted that the need to accommodate both the size and the mass of a battery pack is one of the main drivers in the engineering of the next 911. “We are fighting hard,” he said, “especially as we are discussing plug-in hybrids, then there’s the battery weight.”

Maybe they'll have to do terraced batteries, like Apple did in the new MacBook, although on a much larger scale, cram every nook and cranny with battery, just to fit enough battery in, low down, and maintaining the current CG, to make it something more than a novelty.

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:
    EnglishManInNY:

This is what I am hoping for (Mini 918) and the VW budget thingie may not affect Porsche as much as it will affect VW and Audi. Actually, I think that VW will need to live with lower gain margins from now on if they want to keep their customers happy. The main problem for Porsche is actually that the Cayenne is affected as well by the whole EPA stuff in the US, meaning that the EPA is also going after Porsche.

Interesting times ahead... Smiley

The bad thing is that many in Germany believe that the US government and EPA are actually going after VW because they want to destroy the competition and this image, especially now with the refugee crisis and rising nationalism, is a problem for Germany. I think the US authorities and EPA should be very careful how they deal with VW. Punishing them? Yes, it will happen. Setting an example? This would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

! Yes a mini 918 indeed. Just like a 911 eventually bested the Carerra GT soon a new hybrid 911 turbo will outrun a 918 for much less money. It has always happened in the past. It will happen soon. My guess it will be 80% electric speed freak and 20% conventional to charge the batteries and extend range as well as cruise down the highway. 

RC, I doubt the EPA will make an example out of VW. The real hurt will come from the public's initial distrust and shift to other brands.  And then there will be the interminable lawsuits by states, dealers, consumers and anyone else who wants to claim lost value.  

The good news is that the U.S. public forgives pretty quickly (example--the runaway Prius debacle)  and probably understands instinctively that the "environment" was really not impacted much. All the public will need are some good new products at a good sales discount...

VW sales weren't too good before the scandal, many vw dealers feel the parent company doesn't listen to them about product mix and its also not easy to sell hecho en Mexico golfs with Wolfsburg decals and models often a generation behind their other markets. Fwiw, there is no popular outcry to hurt VW.

JimFlat6:

VW sales weren't too good before the scandal, many vw dealers feel the parent company doesn't listen to them about product mix and its also not easy to sell hecho en Mexico golfs with Wolfsburg decals and models often a generation behind their other markets. Fwiw, there is no popular outcry to hurt VW.

You mean in the USA?

Because VW is and will be the best selling car manufacturer in Europe.

Autobild review is up

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/porsche-911-turbo-s-fl-2016-fahrbericht-8547923.html

Brief translation?

Neither of the articles is particularly interesting. Of course the car is fast, of course the PCM is better (but still not great) but they don't compare it with the first generation or the 570 or the 588 merely stating the obvious. 

KresoF1:
    JimFlat6:

You mean in the USA?

Because VW is and will be the best selling car manufacturer in Europe.

Yes, I meant the USA, comment was in response to RC,s comment about the US EPA.

Fwiw, Porsche for the first time ever sold 50,000  vehicules in the US in 2015'

neunelf:

Neither of the articles is particularly interesting. Of course the car is fast, of course the PCM is better (but still not great) but they don't compare it with the first generation or the 570 or the 588 merely stating the obvious. 

agree, ordinary articles...

I like Miami blue . A nice relaxing color to look at and different . As to the Turbo, It does nothing for me . I don't like neither the back nor the front .  I am only impressed with the raw performance .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

I like Miami blue . A nice relaxing color to look at and different . As to the Turbo, It does nothing for me . I don't like neither the back nor the front .  I am only impressed with the raw performance .

Agreed. The next 911 Turbo will be more spectacular/different (vs. the Carrera) looking.
    Raw performance of this car is amazing, track performance will be shocking but I'm afraid the sound is still not where it should be. I wish the 991.2 Turbo S had the same sound the 991.2 Carrera S PSE has. Smiley

--

White would be my favorite color on the 991.2 Turbo S, don't know why. Especially if I would get a Cab.

--

The article claims It is quicker to 60 than the 918???

From the article:

-----

Four-wheel drive systems usually enable you to reapply power very early in corners, but with the Turbo S that isn’t quite the case. Because of the very light front end and the incredibly grippy rear axle, you actually need to have the car pointed more or less in a straight line before you stand on the accelerator, otherwise the front end will wash out.

-----

Absolute bullshit. This statement alone compromises the entire article. 

Herbaliser:

From the article:

-----

Four-wheel drive systems usually enable you to reapply power very early in corners, but with the Turbo S that isn’t quite the case. Because of the very light front end and the incredibly grippy rear axle, you actually need to have the car pointed more or less in a straight line before you stand on the accelerator, otherwise the front end will wash out.

-----

If you don't let the front end set it will do that. Way too much torque to expect anything else. This is not to be confused with cornering at high speed and front end grip when applying throttle progressively.  But if you just give it full throttle the minimal turbo lag allows way too much power too quickly. In that regard my old turbo gives an extra split second to point the missle but it is just the nature of the turbo. Going to be an issue for the new Carerra as well with the new torque. It takes a different driving style. 

New turbo s is so quick who could ask for anything more. 

Leawood911:
    Herbaliser:

From the article:

-----

-----

If you don't let the front end set it will do that. Way too much torque to expect anything else. This is not to be confused with cornering at high speed and front end grip when applying throttle progressively.  But if you just give it full throttle the minimal turbo lag allows way too much power too quickly. In that regard my old turbo gives an extra split second to point the missle but it is just the nature of the turbo. Going to be an issue for the new Carerra as well with the new torque. It takes a different driving style. 

It is actually unbelievable how early you can start accelerating on the exit of a corner with the 991 Turbo. It's nothing like the 997. It's completely opposite to the statement of the article. Maybe the author doesn't know that when you start accelerating out of a corner you have apply the throttle smoothly, you don't smash the accelerator. 

KresoF1:

I saw this exact car drive past me 2 hours ago Smiley

cool

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753503 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430928 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258691 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255538 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79587 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868491 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802145 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM