Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche has announced record March sales in N.A.

However look at the numbers closely. I believe there is plenty for Porsche to worry about. There is definitely trouble on the horizon despite their bluster.

Re: Porsche has announced record March sales in N.A.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    However look at the numbers closely. I believe there is plenty for Porsche to worry about. There is definitely trouble on the horizon despite their bluster.

See what you mean, Nick.

Sales of 993s have shot downwards by an infinite percentage.

It will be interesting to see what happens to numbers of 911 sales as the model mix changes to include TT's GT'3 and TT cabrios...

Less base/cheaper cars....more profits??

Quote:
    john999s said:
    It will be interesting to see what happens to numbers of 911 sales as the model mix changes to include TT's GT'3 and TT cabrios...

Less base/cheaper cars....more profits??

Yep, one of Nick's future posts will be "Porsche has announced record profits, but there are storm clouds on the horizon".

Or was that several of his past posts?

LOL

Cayman sales seem to have cannibalized Boxster sales instead of 911 sales. How is that bad news?

Nick sees higher sales and worries about the loss of exclusivity. I see higher sales and a higher share of sports car in the total sales mix. Again, how is that a bad thing?

Speaking about exclusivity, I wonder where that 2005 993 came from!

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Speaking about exclusivity, I wonder where that 2005 993 came from!

Are you hinting that it was a delayed shipment from the Exclusive department?

Obviously some are having difficulty reading the chart. Let me help you.

Boxster sales are down significantly.

Cayenne sales are down significantly.

997 coupe and S are down.

According to press reports, Cayman sales are "sluggish"

When the TT and GT3 are introduced, the sales of the base 997 and S will tank even further.

Those who were interested in Cabs have bought and I full anticipate a decline with this model.

Yep, sales are booming!

There is a pony in that pile I am sure.

Sales in the Middle East are way up, so expect market adjustments for options prices.

Porsche US sales track with real estate sales. Obvious that early adapters already splashed for Caymans, Cabs and are eager for the TT.

Boxster sales are down because fewer Boxsters are being shipped, its sales were dwindling anyway and the 987 refresh
    didnt light up a "must have" sign in buyers minds.

I suspect that all Porsche sales would increase if shoppers saw colors other than blue, silver or black on dealers lots.

I would agree with Nick's conclusion. In looking at the year to date comparison you only have a few models that are doing well, even Carrera S sales declined. It makes one wonder why Porsche is offering as many versions of the Cayenne as they do. Second and third quarter figures will show the trend. While diversification offers more possible products, you eventually run the risk of being viewed as just another car company.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Obviously some are having difficulty reading the chart.

Obviously. Let me help you:

Quote:
    nberry said:Boxster sales are down significantly.

987 modals - Boxsters and Caymans - are built on the same production lines, which do not have infinite capacity. Boxsters have to make room for Caymans.
    US Sales of all 987s to March 06: 3248, US Sales to March 05: 1752.

Quote:
    nberry said:Cayenne sales are down significantly.

I knew it wouldn't be good for that car's image if it got around that you own one.

Quote:
    nberry said:997 coupe and S are down.

All 911 modals are built on the same production lines, which do not have infinite capacity. C2 and C2S Coupes have to be cut back to make room for Cabs, C4s.

US Sales all 997 versions to March 06: 2830, US Sales to March 05: 1568.

Quote:
    nberry said:According to press reports, Cayman sales are "sluggish"

Cayman sales to March 06: 2121; Boxster sales to March 05: 1752.
    I just hope my personal income increases that sluggishly this year from last year.

Nick, every time you try to compare apples with oranges you seem to end with a bunch of rotten eggs, mostly on your face.

Fritz,
    you are so mean, nick put so much effort in this... well intended thread... you could of at least waited a little bit and let him enjoy it before pointing out his was completely wrong once again!

Nick,
    you are going to have to re-adjust your "Porsche Dooms Day is here" schedule once again... how many years has it been? 2? 4?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Fritz,
    you are so mean, nick put so much effort in this... well intended thread... you could of at least waited a little bit and let him enjoy it before pointing out his was completely wrong once again!

I'm sorry, Carlos. I guess I'll never learn.

I should wait to see how far Nick can get both feet into his mouth first, and then strike.

It was very mean of me to spoil everyone's fun by jumping in too quickly.

Cayenne sales are only down by 100 units, that's about 3%. Not bad for a car that has been around for a while.

I will complete fritz's answer with a product-side (rather than production-side) analysis.

997 sales: before, people wanting a new 911 could only choose a C2 coupe or a C2S coupe. Now they have more choice, but they still buy a 911. I don't get your point.

987 sales: same thing. Customers who were looking for a Porsche but didn't want / couldn't afford a 911 could only buy a Boxster. Now they can choose between coupe and cab. This is especially true of the Boxster S, since it's in the same ball park price-wise as the Cayman S (performance-conscious customers will go for a Cayman over a Boxster now that they have a choice).

I do agree that CGT sales are down by more than half. It might be because of low overall demand, or higher demand outside the US. Maybe you should dump your F430 and buy a CGT to reverse the trend.

That is nonsense. Are you tell us that one cannot order a coupe's because the Cabs have priority? People are ordering the Cab because they do not want the coupe! What don't you understand about that? It has nothing to do with line capacity.

Boxster sales are in the toilet and it is not because of the Cayman sales. Before the recent upgrade, the Boxster sales were almost non-existent. With the upgrade there was a small uptick and then sales fell off dramatically.

Cayman sales were projected by Porsche to be around 12,000 a year when it was introduced in Jan. 2006. If we track the sales to date 2200 for 3 months (BTW the sales are to dealers and do not necessarily indicate a buyer) and project for the year, they will be 33% short of their goal. This is particularliy worrisome given it is a new model and interest should be at its highest.

Fritz, you and Porsche can play with the numbers all you like but the fact remains the 997 coupe and S sales are down and Boxster/Cayman sales are headed in the same direction and I can hear the flushing sound.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Cayenne sales are only down by 100 units, that's about 3%. Not bad for a car that has been around for a while.

So you don't think it's down to the fact that Nick's ownership of a Cayenne might be putting off other buyers?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I do agree that CGT sales are down by more than half. It might be because of low overall demand, or higher demand outside the US. Maybe you should dump your F430 and buy a CGT to reverse the trend.

Might also be down to the fact that Porsche stopped producing USA-spec CGTs sometime last year.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Fritz, you and Porsche can play with the numbers all you like but the fact remains the 997 coupe and S sales are down and Boxster/Cayman sales are headed in the same direction and I can hear the flushing sound.

Nick, you should tell your doctor about the flushing sound you keep hearing.
    He might be able to give you something for it.

Nick is right on one thing though: the Cayman has failed to attract as many new customers as Porsche expected. Something tells me prospective customers don't like having to fork over more money for the coupe than for the convertible.

On the other hand, if things are going as bad as you say, you might want to buy a Cayman, as it's going to be more exclusive than a Ferrari!

And no fritz, I don't want to give Nick too much credit for the stagnation of Cayenne sales. I understand why some long-time Bentley customers are unhappy to be associated with unsavory people such as 50cent, but at least 50cent is a celebrity!

Cayenne sales are off by 12% if not more.

The chart shows the trend of sales for particular models. My point is that coupe sales are declining. Yes Cab sales picked up the slack but as I wrote, it may be temporary since those who wanted Cabs are buying now.

Boxster sales are very weak despite the efforts of Porsche. The numbers clearly show that.

I agree with Fritz (did I really write that? ) they are down because they stopped shipping to the US. However, there are close to 100 new and used CGT's for sale in the US now. I seriously considered buying one but decided that it is a car for a very special driver which I am not. I prefer to live and enjoy more controllable toys.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Cayenne sales are off by 12% if not more.

Huh? Did they forget to teach you math (or even reading) in law school?
    All Cayenne:
    March 2005: 1032 units
    March 2006: 1052 units

April 2004-March 2005: 3093 units
    April 2005-March 2006: 2997 units

Unless you managed to get hold of the real ultra-confidential sales figures, last time I checked, 3.1% is quite a long way from 12%!

I agree about the CGT part though, too much car for me.

The real bottom line is that the "overall total" is up year over year....that's all the accountants care about.

For your consideration: In 2005 a number of advisory services, both US and European, recommended "short" selling Porsche stock. These positions were closed by the end of 2005 showing a profit. The question still remains open as to whether Porsche has the right mix of product to sustain these profits.

Groom, I failed to indicate that wordwide sales of the Cayenne are down 12%. Also, the numbers in NA were helped by the Turbo S whch targets a very limited market and isn't indicative of any trend.

Oh, I see. This gnashing sound you hear is me eating my hat.
    Not. Maybe you should have posted the worldwide sales chart instead of the NA sales, which are not supporting your claims...

To be honest, I was surprised Cayenne numbers held up this well in NA. The Cayenne is the oldest model in the lineup. New competitors are entering the market, and existing ones are getting refreshed. It is pretty logical that sales drop. We'll see how things looks like after the facelift.

Quote:
    nberry said:However, there are close to 100 new and used CGT's for sale in the US now. I seriously considered buying one but decided that it is a car for a very special driver which I am not. I prefer to live and enjoy more controllable toys.

So, Nick ,you seem to agree that the F430 is wussy car compared to the CGT. No?

I'm trying to figure out these figures.

I thought Cayman is a different product than Boxster line or am I missing something?

If so, why did they include Cayman S sales figures in Boxster and Boxster S section?

Is this mean that Porsche Considers Cayman S as a Boxster coupe not a new product line or trying to hide Boxster sales drop?

Can anyone explain please?

Ron, a 987 is a 987.

If it was anything more than a 987, its factory model number
    and its parts numbers would be 9XX something.

Notice they also do not differentiate between the Boxster and Boxster S.

Thar doesnt mean its bad, it's just a 987 model.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, you should tell your doctor about the flushing sound you keep hearing.
    He might be able to give you something for it.

I doubt it..

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:However, there are close to 100 new and used CGT's for sale in the US now. I seriously considered buying one but decided that it is a car for a very special driver which I am not. I prefer to live and enjoy more controllable toys.

So, Nick ,you seem to agree that the F430 is wussy car compared to the CGT. No?

No doubt about that. The 430 is manageable. The CGT from a performance standpoint, is far above the 430. Sadly, to truly enjoy the CGT, one needs to accept the fact that disaster is very imminent unless extreme vigilence is exercised. It is a hell of a way to enjoy a car.

I suspect most CGT owners drive them to be seen and heard very much like many Ferrari owners. You probably are the exception (you track your car) although on public streets and highways you are like the rest of us, at least I hope so.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM