Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4

Grant:

Personally, the whole engine (and its electronics) is something I wouldn't mess with while in the warranty period.

Yeah me neither, but d997h asked about after market exhausts so I just posted the link to that one which I had seen earlier.

Mine will be remaining totally stock! Smiley

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, Full Buckets

Another pic of the Lichtgrün car in the UK awaiting delivery. The completion date for my car finished in the same colour has moved forward by a week to the 12th January. I think I am going to need to wear protective sunglasses when cleaning it indecision

Birch Green.JPG

Grant:
    Adam2S:

Shmee150 has added a full IPE Innotech Performance Exhaust system, including headers, 200-cell high flow cats and Valvetronic muffler.

His youtube review of it is worth a watch if you are interesting in changing from the stock exhaust : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQqmymJQshc

Though supposedly the IPE system has been plagued with some quality issues and some people removed them very quickly (don't know the details).  I also would be rather dubious of any power gains from just an exhaust (though almost every manufacturer makes such claims), if it does not come with intake and tuning mods too. 

Personally, the whole engine (and its electronics) is something I wouldn't mess with while in the warranty period.

Having seen and heard the 991 GT3 with the IPE exhaust I could imagine that one reason for dropping it would be the noise. I heard it at a track day and it is loud. It is also the only time I have heard a street GT3 which sounded more like a racecar at WOT down the straight. Personally I really liked the sound.

Grant,

Sun is still awaiting your analysis of 2nd gear on your home  canyon hairpins.....  well??????yes

ISUK:

Another pic of the Lichtgrün car in the UK awaiting delivery. The completion date for my car finished in the same colour has moved forward by a week to the 12th January. I think I am going to need to wear protective sunglasses when cleaning it indecision

Birch Green.JPG

Looks fantastic Iain, definitely one of the best PTS colours I have seen so far on the GT4.  I bet you can' wait! Smiley

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, Full Buckets

Yesterday downtown Geneva (rue du Rhône) I was following a GT4, loud but superb sound. So good that I don't see the point of changing the exhaust.

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

watt:

Grant,

Sun is still awaiting your analysis of 2nd gear on your home  canyon hairpins.....  well??????yes

Sorry Watt - Had a foot of snow fall a week ago and roads are still pretty bad Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

d997h:

Saw a guy on youtube recently having modified his GT4 with a sport exhaust from Akrapovic - any thoughts on that ?

The GT4 already sounds very good and there is no need to "upgrade" the sound, same applies to the GT3 RS. Apart from possible warranty problems (in Germany, the Porsche service reps who visit the dealerships are walking around and writing down the VIN of modded cars, especially visible mods like sport exhaust systems), the sound often changes to a more non-typical Porsche sound. Sorry but I would never do it (anymore). Had a Cargraphic exhaust system with 200 cell cats on my former 997 Turbo and while it sounded fantastic, the sound was way too loud (now I realize it, with my GTS being "borderline" for public roads) and I was lucky that Alois Ruf adapted the exhaust to his tuning (he usually doesn't do that, he uses his own exhaust but he did me a personal favor) because before that, the exhaust really showed some issues in certain rev ranges, even if they were barely noticeable.

I don't know if the GT4 or GT3 RS exhaust "cut off" the sound between 30 and 70 kph but if so, it may be able to "fix" this Smiley with some sort of electrical flap control bypass and keep everything still original. No, I won't give you instructions but your mechanic may be able to figure it out, if he didn't already do.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    d997h:

Saw a guy on youtube recently having modified his GT4 with a sport exhaust from Akrapovic - any thoughts on that ?

Apart from possible warranty problems (in Germany, the Porsche service reps who visit the dealerships are walking around and writing down the VIN of modded cars, especially visible mods like sport exhaust systems)

Seriously?

RC:
    don't know if the GT4 or GT3 RS exhaust "cut off" the sound between 30 and 70 kph but if so, it may be able to "fix" this Smiley with some sort of electrical flap control bypass and keep everything still original. No, I won't give you instructions but your mechanic may be able to figure it out, if he didn't already do.

Come on RC, spill the beans ! You will make many RS owners happy ! And we want to do it ourselves, not ask a mechanic for that ! 

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    RC:
    don't know if the GT4 or GT3 RS exhaust "cut off" the sound between 30 and 70 kph but if so, it may be able to "fix" this Smiley with some sort of electrical flap control bypass and keep everything still original. No, I won't give you instructions but your mechanic may be able to figure it out, if he didn't already do.

Come on RC, spill the beans ! You will make many RS owners happy ! And we want to do it ourselves, not ask a mechanic for that ! 

You can control it if you build something like this:

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-and-rs/876050-how-to-building-a-gps-based-pse-valve-controller-for-passing-track-sound-checks...

Easiest is probably using some sort of Bluetooth relay that is being controlled manually by your smart phone or via GPS in your smart phone. 

Kobalt:

You can control it if you build something like this:

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-and-rs/876050-how-to-building-a-gps-based-pse-valve-controller-for-passing-track-sound-checks...

Easiest is probably using some sort of Bluetooth relay that is being controlled manually by your smart phone or via GPS in your smart phone. 

Thanks . It looks interesting, but a bit complicated for me .. and I want the valve open, not closed Smiley  I would like to just pull  a fuse, hose , cable to have the valves open all the time .... like it was on the older models .

If I understand well , I could pull the PSE Solenoid valve plug and then it is open all the time ?

PSE_vacuum_lines_2.jpeg

--

Yes I think you can pull the vacuum hose. Not sure if you should plug the hose - I guess it is a good idea.

I'm not sure how different this is compared to the 991. But let me tell you, I tried everything to get an decent sound out of that car. On the older models (997) it was easy, just deactivate the flap and the car was loud and angry. The new generation works different. It knows "different levels of open" - so just open it to the full, didn't make to much impact. Also ordered once a box with a remote control which promised to open it up, but it was total BS - didn't bring anything close to the 997 sound. I guess, if you want to do it right you need to invest into an decent sport exhaust and the car will start to sound like it should sound. 

GT4-Crash near RC's home...:-(  the two passengers were able to get out of the car by themselfes, but suffered burns:

http://www.tz.de/muenchen/region/muenchner-seine-begleiterin-schwer-verletzt-nach-unfall-sportwagen-tz-5988114.html

Blueflame

That is horrible. Burns are the worst. I wish them a complete recovery. 

Obviously it is time to put a 120 mph speed limit on German roadways. Cars kill people. 

Here's another crashed GT4 laugh

900_o19764.jpg

--

That'll buff right out

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Gnil:
    RC:

I have no method for the RS but why should it be different than with other PSE equipped models? Honestly, I do not know if the RS has a cut-off between 30 and 70 kph or any other, emissions control mandated, flap control. Also, I do not think it is wise to talk about this in a car public forum for various reasons.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

1451381582192image.jpeg

The first gt4 club sport in USA 

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

RC:
    Gnil:
    RC
    I do not think it is wise to talk about this in a car public forum for various reasons.

What is this political correctness about Smiley

it is up to each individual to take responsibility for what he does or not according to the legislation in his country. Many countries would not have a problem with switching the cut off off so why not put it up on w car forum Smiley

a few year back , when the 997 came out , we had photos posted on how to do it and explanations . That was not a problem for the forum. 

On Rennlist for example you even have a dedicated threat on how to modify the cut off on the 991. 

They do not seem to be bothered by political correctness.

i understand there are limits of what can be posted but if we can t post anything that would cross a law in a country , we are heading for a very soporific forum Smiley

--

This has nothing to do with political correctness but about some asses who use this information to alert environmental groups or similar and the rest of the story is not something you need to guess. Smiley

You cannot imagine how much trouble Porsche had with the 997 PSE exhaust in Germany. 

Here is one example of how people in Germany "tick" (there are many other examples):

http://www.online-polemik.de/offener-brief-an-das-bundesinnenministerium-baden-wuerttemberg.htm

http://www.zeit.de/2014/22/motorrad-auto-laerm-serie-warum-funktioniert-das-nicht

http://www.123recht.net/forum_topic.asp?topic_id=196991&ccheck=1

Last year or two years ago, there was a dispute among German 991 owners if Porsche did cut off the PSE with a software update because of protests from environmental groups. The update was apparently applied without the consent from owners while they were having a PDK software update at dealerships. Porsche never confirmed this but many owners complain about a changed (less loud, less "crackling") sound.

Sorry but I do not want that to happen to any of you, so please be clever and just keep everything you know or do regarding this stuff under wraps. It doesn't help anyone is Porsche is made aware of this and/or they get under pressure from environmental groups or even the government to do something about it.

I do a lot of programming in my free time, incl. some modding for games (making my son happy Smiley). There are so many idiots who spill the beans about certain methods and of course the software companies fix these "holes" within days, making it more and more difficult to do mods because once people figure out a way, they go and post that information in a public forum (there are closed forums for programmers), so every kid and wannabe hacker uses this method to do stupid things like annoying other players or generating virtual money and the software companies become aware of the methods. Just an example.

Just ask around, you meet lots of Porsche drivers and I am pretty sure you are going to find out soon what you need and if it is possible or not. I am not lying to you, I don't have a clue if the RS exhaust can be modified, I do not know how the clap system works and if it is cut off from 30-70 kph (I assume it does cut off).

--

Gnil:
    RC:
    Gnil:
    RC
    I do not think it is wise to talk about this in a car public forum for various reasons.

What is this political correctness about Smiley

it is up to each individual to take responsibility for what he does or not according to the legislation in his country. Many countries would not have a problem with switching the cut off off so why not put it up on w car forum Smiley

a few year back , when the 997 came out , we had photos posted on how to do it and explanations . That was not a problem for the forum. 

On Rennlist for example you even have a dedicated threat on how to modify the cut off on the 991. 

They do not seem to be bothered by political correctness.

i understand there are limits of what can be posted but if we can t post anything that would cross a law in a country , we are heading for a very soporific forum Smiley

Eric,put on a center bypass like ii do,you don't loose power,and you gain sound!Valves still work,and they must work becouse they give you the right backpressure on low rpm.is not an expensive mod,and is easy to put back stock.Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

RC:

This has nothing to do with political correctness but about some asses who use this information to alert environmental groups or similar and the rest of the story is not something you need to guess. Smiley

You cannot imagine how much trouble Porsche had with the 997 PSE exhaust in Germany. 

Here is one example of how people in Germany "tick" (there are many other examples):

http://www.online-polemik.de/offener-brief-an-das-bundesinnenministerium-baden-wuerttemberg.htm

http://www.zeit.de/2014/22/motorrad-auto-laerm-serie-warum-funktioniert-das-nicht

http://www.123recht.net/forum_topic.asp?topic_id=196991&ccheck=1

Last year or two years ago, there was a dispute among German 991 owners if Porsche did cut off the PSE with a software update because of protests from environmental groups. The update was apparently applied without the consent from owners while they were having a PDK software update at dealerships. Porsche never confirmed this but many owners complain about a changed (less loud, less "crackling") sound.

Sorry but I do not want that to happen to any of you, so please be clever and just keep everything you know or do regarding this stuff under wraps. It doesn't help anyone is Porsche is made aware of this and/or they get under pressure from environmental groups or even the government to do something about it.

I do a lot of programming in my free time, incl. some modding for games (making my son happy Smiley). There are so many idiots who spill the beans about certain methods and of course the software companies fix these "holes" within days, making it more and more difficult to do mods because once people figure out a way, they go and post that information in a public forum (there are closed forums for programmers), so every kid and wannabe hacker uses this method to do stupid things like annoying other players or generating virtual money and the software companies become aware of the methods. Just an example.

Just ask around, you meet lots of Porsche drivers and I am pretty sure you are going to find out soon what you need and if it is possible or not. I am not lying to you, I don't have a clue if the RS exhaust can be modified, I do not know how the clap system works and if it is cut off from 30-70 kph (I assume it does cut off).

--

Sad. 

Time to rethink if this forum should not go private!

--

Super Darius:

Eric,put on a center bypass like ii do,you don't loose power,and you gain sound!Valves still work,and they must work becouse they give you the right backpressure on low rpm.is not an expensive mod,and is easy to put back stock.Smiley

I am vorried this would be too loud in some neighborhoods or even tracks. 

--

I think not,you must hear mine...

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:

I think not,you must hear mine...

In spring I think I need to take a nice drive over the Simpione and down to the end of Lago Maggiore. Maybe then I can hear it Smiley

--

Here are some photo's I was sent today of a UK car in PTS Viper Green.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Brave but effective !

Are they trying to flp  it for a profit?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662792 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401359 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229333 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59698 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4386 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853610 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762129 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM