Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 911 R Thread Closed

No rear seat? No PDK? No side vent? High price? "Somewhat" limited? LOL, my interest for this car went from vague to zero... I would rather have any variant of the GT3...

Just received an email from Porsche, they are doing an event for 918 owners Feb 27-March 2 in Geneva, gonna give us a sneak peek at the 'youngest member of the Porsche family' on the 28th before official sales launch. 

I wonder if the 911R is the one or the have something else coming.

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time in Europe for 2016. 

This, then a week later to Finland, then April in Leipzig for Sports-Hybrid training, then Le Mans and Goodwood in June, Alps in Sept. 

--

/\ move to Europe and experience our high taxes as well 

Not if he moves to Geneva...

...... he arranges his tax deal in advance , and it will be based on the size of the house he lives in  ( not his income or fortune ) . I remember Alonzo' s house around here , about 80 m2  

Whoops : I bet it will be the R 

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

SciFrog:

No rear seat? No PDK? No side vent? High price? "Somewhat" limited? LOL, my interest for this car went from vague to zero... I would rather have any variant of the GT3...

Then why bother posting in this thread...

--

2010 997.2 GT3        2012  987.2 S BE #262/987        2016 981 GT4

You must be new here. LOL

SciFrog:

I know Nacelle from Rennlist - welcome!  Just a little culture change 

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    SciFrog:

I know Nacelle from Rennlist - welcome!  Just a little culture change 

Smiley

Welcome Nacelle!

Small update: It seems that because of the very limited production number, not the dealers or dealerships will decide who gets a car or not but...Porsche. So it seems this goes back to the whole VIP customer thing and decisions from above. Apparently many dealers are actually happy about this because customers cannot blame them personally for not getting them a car. I think it is a good solution, so customers can be mad at Porsche but not at dealers or sales persons.  In Germany, right now, 90 cars may make it to dealerships, so basically every dealership gets only one car with a few exceptions. I suspect that 918 owners will have (again) an advantage here and very likely the history of how many Porsche cars were bought in the past. 

Just wanted to make sure some of you guys know what you're  getting into if you really want one. You may be disappointed because it seems dealers have no saying in this. Time will tell...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

They totally should give priority to 918 buyers. At the time Porsche was struggling to sell the last ones and now they reward the ones who took the risk.

SciFrog:

They totally should give priority to 918 buyers. At the time Porsche was struggling to sell the last ones and now they reward the ones who took the risk.

Well, I see some of that argument... but did 918 buyers really have the prime motivation to save Porsche and its program, or did they just like the concept of the car itself?  I just don't see that these people are that altruistic. 

There were many Porsche regulars, with millions invested in past Porsche models, who could have afforded a 918 but simply decided the car did not appeal to them; they will wait for the next "special Porsche" and decide again.  Now they are penalized because they just did not like that single car.  To me the "918 special rights" situation is a slippery slope for the company and they will wish at some point soon they could end it.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    SciFrog:

Well, I see some of that argument... but did 918 buyers really have the prime motivation to save Porsche and its program, or did they just like the concept of the car itself?  I just don't see that these people are that altruistic. 

There were many Porsche regulars, with millions invested in past Porsche models, who could have afforded a 918 but simply decided the car did not appeal to them; they will wait for the next "special Porsche" and decide again.  Now they are penalized because they just did not like that single car.  To me the "918 special rights" situation is a slippery slope for the company and they will wish at some point soon they could end it.  

IMHO Porsche will have to increase the production of the R in order to address this exact issue.

The VIP program was just an extra perk to move 918 cars... Special right will never stop unless there are no more (real) limited editions like the 911R (GT4 and GT3 are not really limited, unless you were late to the party you could get one). The fact that Porsche does limited editions is pretty rubbish though (or Ferrari for that matter). What is even more despicable is that once officially announced they are already sold out. Many Ferrari owners had to pony up for a FF to get a SA or TdF or Speciale.

SciFrog:

Smiley

SciFrog:

I agree with you, 918 owners should have priority.  Regarding you second sentence, isn't it the other way around?  Porsche initially had difficulty filling all the allocations, however once owners took delivery and share pictures and impressions, the last units sold easily? Smiley

Correct, Porsche was struggling for the last 200 but not for the last 30 or so, Nick would know exactly...

RC:

Small update: It seems that because of the very limited production number, not the dealers or dealerships will decide who gets a car or not but...Porsche. So it seems this goes back to the whole VIP customer thing and decisions from above. Apparently many dealers are actually happy about this because customers cannot blame them personally for not getting them a car. I think it is a good solution, so customers can be mad at Porsche but not at dealers or sales persons.  In Germany, right now, 90 cars may make it to dealerships, so basically every dealership gets only one car with a few exceptions. I suspect that 918 owners will have (again) an advantage here and very likely the history of how many Porsche cars were bought in the past. 

Just wanted to make sure some of you guys know what you're  getting into if you really want one. You may be disappointed because it seems dealers have no saying in this. Time will tell...

This confirms what my Dealer told me when I inquired about the 991 R.  The 918 customer is this only with a shot at getting this car. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

It only makes sense that those that pony up in big numbers get the perks, lucky few.

--

SciFrog:

What is even more despicable is that once officially announced they are already sold out.  

That is my point; these specials may well be quickly sold out even without the 918 VIP program since production is either limited by a stated maximum number or by a finite production schedule, but with the VIP rights, of course this vastly limits the real buying opportunities, in the case of this R model apparently to virtually zero.  What ends up being perverse IMO is that someone new to Porsche who fell in love with the hybrid tech 918 and bought one, now has first dibs on "traditional" cars like the GTs and R.  OTOH long term Porsche buyers who simply said they were not convinced about hybrid tech thus the 918, but would clearly keep buying more traditionally based special cars, are now essentially on the outside of the fence.   I would guess these long term Porsche buyers have ways to make their feelings known at PAG.... so we will see where this goes over the next 2-3 years.  To be clear I do not object to Porsche treating the 918 buyers with perks of various types - I just think the first rights on specials is ending up a perk too far.  

--

SciFrog:

Correct, Porsche was struggling for the last 200 but not for the last 30 or so, Nick would know exactly...

Up until before the 6:57. I believe they still had around 400 world wide needed to sell. That would be Sept 2013. So it took about a year and 2 months to sell those 400, and I think around 100 cars gone during that week they sold out. With a wait list of about 50 people world wide after. 

The day my car arrived at my dealership was the day it was sold out.

--

4trac:
    SciFrog:

What is even more despicable is that once officially announced they are already sold out.  

That is my point; these specials may well be quickly sold out even without the 918 VIP program since production is either limited by a stated maximum number or by a finite production schedule, but with the VIP rights, of course this vastly limits the real buying opportunities, in the case of this R model apparently to virtually zero.  What ends up being perverse IMO is that someone new to Porsche who fell in love with the hybrid tech 918 and bought one, now has first dibs on "traditional" cars like the GTs and R.  OTOH long term Porsche buyers who simply said they were not convinced about hybrid tech thus the 918, but would clearly keep buying more traditionally based special cars, are now essentially on the outside of the fence.   I would guess these long term Porsche buyers have ways to make their feelings known at PAG.... so we will see where this goes over the next 2-3 years.  To be clear I do not object to Porsche treating the 918 buyers with perks of various types - I just think the first rights on specials is ending up a perk too far.  

--

+1 . To me this VIP program is counter productive in the end, as it will provoque animosity and back fire at Porsche   . They should of offered other kind of compensations to the 918 buyers . There are also some people who bought the 918 for speculation reasons only .... and those will now have a clear open road to speculate even more on the special models at the expenses of loyal customers . 

Not really a good thing for loyal customers . 

--

Porsche tried very hard to sell the 918 to loyal customers or those who really are into these cars but this cannot work 100% if loyal customers buy the 918 and actually already sold the car to a different person. Also, apparently some dealers put their hands on this car and are still keeping it for selling it along the way. 

If Porsche wants to make loyal customers happy, they need to select, not the dealerships. Makes sense. Customers who badly want a car could contact Porsche directly, so at least they show their high interest in the car and Porsche can verify if the customer is "worthy" of it or not. Also this would take away a lot of pressure from dealerships who all of them have high profile customers who may want such a car, so they (dealerships) do not have to disappoint their customers.

Producing another batch of cars along the way would also be a solution but this could offend the first customers who were hoping on a limited production run. Difficult...

I have a shot at getting the R but the problem is that I cannot really afford it but I also cannot slap Porsche in the face by selling it, no matter if immediately or after 6 months. Not sure what to do and once the car order is on my name, I cannot just step back from the order if I lack the monetary funds. Dammit.

I had a shot at the 918 as well but sometimes I regret not getting it (for selling it though, I could never afford to keep it) but at the same time, I wonder what would have happened if I had it and sold it, Porsche wouldn't have been amused.

Actually, I wish I could afford keeping a 918 and the R, I would be a very happy person now but life is how it is and I shouldn't complaint. I still envy (in a positive way) those who get themselves these cars but I also have to say that I really don't like people who get these cars just for selling them. Car lovers should have the first shot.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

One of the problem with the big customers ordering limited editions, (those who can afford many , many expensive cars ), they sometimes just order the cars to see what it is and how they like it once they own it ..... and if they are not completely mad about it , which often happens as they are used to be best , will sell it as fast as they got it . They do not intend harm, nor are flippers , but at the end the result is the same .

RC : I don't know how much truth there is in Porsche monitoring who buys what and sells it when . I know of some ' buy/sell ' that , according to your sayings, are not ' Porsche approved ' , but until today, no consequence .  

As to the R ..... get it, sell it after 12 month  or keep it then if money has come into your account 

--

Gnil:

One of the problem with the big customers ordering limited editions, (those who can afford many , many expensive cars ), they sometimes just order the cars to see what it is and how they like it once they own it ..... and if they are not completely mad about it , which often happens as they are used to be best , will sell it as fast as they got it . They do not intend harm, nor are flippers , but at the end the result is the same .

RC : I don't know how much truth there is in Porsche monitoring who buys what and sells it when . I know of some ' buy/sell ' that , according to your sayings, are not ' Porsche approved ' , but until today, no consequence .  

There is a "list" at Porsche and it will have consequences, even if they are not really "visible" at first.

As to the R ..... get it, sell it after 12 month  or keep it then if money has come into your account 

I have the money but it is invested and if I take it out of the investment, I cannot make more money. Smiley Business is slow (actually not slow, customers love us but the gain is not really great since the government has regulated prices) and everything I make goes away again (family, house, cars, etc.), no possibility to put something aside from the business. Getting the R now, considering that it costs around 200-240k, would be quite a challenge, especially since I would need to sell it after 6 months and while I think that the car would sell with a gain (limited edition and all), there is still a risk I cannot take. 

Also, what happens if I fall in love with this car and I want to keep it?! Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

If you can get it then do.  It is a good investment - period.  Keep it for the long run and it will simply increase more.  Porsche unlike Ferrari could not care less about what you do with it the next day.  They wanted to sell the 918 and all special editions badly - if they get a reputation that they are good investments (long or short term) it would be a marketing success!  If you don't want it let me have the allocation.

RC:

I still envy (in a positive way) those who get themselves these cars but I also have to say that I really don't like people who get these cars just for selling them. Car lovers should have the first shot.

Absolutely the same here - 100% agree Smiley 

Lars997:
    RC:

I still envy (in a positive way) those who get themselves these cars but I also have to say that I really don't like people who get these cars just for selling them. Car lovers should have the first shot.

It's like saying that people should buy shares of a company to support the company on the long term, not to resell them only for profit.

Just a matter of point of view. To each his own.

Leawood911:

If you can get it then do.  It is a good investment - period.  Keep it for the long run and it will simply increase more. 

The problem is, will appreciate more than the money it costs being invested during all that time? that is what Christian is considering, and that is very risky. It would actually make sense if he can resell it very quickly because it reduces the time that money is tied up instead of generating profits invested, but then that would be fliping it and may not be worth the consecuences down the line with Porsche.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

pierre:
    Lars997:
    RC:

It's like saying that people should buy shares of a company to support the company on the long term, not to resell them only for profit.

Just a matter of point of view. To each his own.

It all seems like a lot of spilled milk, its not going to change at this point. It will be interesting to see moving forward though what Porsche takes away from this episode of their marketing strategy. For all we know, Porsche thinks that their marketing strategy for the special release cars is a resounding success.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM