Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed

DaveC:

A peer reviewed study in a prominent medical journal found that the number of hair follicles that appear on the upper back increases exponentially w/ the weight and number of gold chains around the neck.  The hair follicles migrate from the scalp to the upper back in response to the total carat weight of the gold.

Smiley, brilliant,  ""May Bush Be With You""....

If it gets too bushy though then please look in to buying an American muscle car...Smiley Smiley Smiley....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

There is a simple, effective and well-proven method of differentiating the 911 GT3 and RS from other Porsche models... start the engine! Smiley

DaveC:

A peer reviewed study in a prominent medical journal found that the number of hair follicles that appear on the upper back increases exponentially w/ the weight and number of gold chains around the neck.  The hair follicles migrate from the scalp to the upper back in response to the total carat weight of the gold.

And a follow-on study has confirmed that driving around with your car's spoiler deployed, even at low speeds, has a similar effect on chest hair follicles. And simply parking your car with its spoiler deployed can help you achieve 80% of that effect.

I don't really care about wing, ducktail or no wing, I have them all now.

But GT3 always has wing from day one, that's its signature.  Why would Porsche make 2 versions of GT3 with wing and no wing?  You think 911 does not have enough variants already??

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

A lot of people want the GT3 experience but want the understated stealth look of a wingless body, also the 991R aura also made that look more popular, a wingless GT3.2 with even a manual option woukd be a way to get close to a 991R... unfortunately I can already people putting the 991R stripes on wingless GT3s to make look alikes...

Actually, people who think that Porsche shouldn't make a wingless GT3 should ask themselves why Porsche built the...911 R.  Smiley Smiley Porsche could have sold tons of 911 R if this car wasn't limited.

What is it with some people and their wing fixation? Smiley Over the past years, whenever I was in the US, I saw tons of Panamera and 911 with the wing raised at low speeds, even when parked. Now I started to notice this "phenomenon" in Germany as well, which is weird. Does a wing make the car look faster or sportier? I don't get it. 

the wing looks silly on a pana and also on a carrera (surely it helps the aero) but it be.ongs on a GT3 (RS)

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

Because it give better sensations below 150kph... Plus the GTS has zero appeal when you have a California in the garage...

....... and much more frustrations .   I would sell the California and get the GTS instead .

What frustrations? The California has given me less hassles than the 3 last Porsches I have owned and at least whenever there is a problem with the car, it comes back fixed which has not been the case with the Porsches...

I owned a Boxster 20 years ago and a 911 convertible 15 years ago. Getting one again would be turning back, there are cars that provide much better ownership satisfaction. A standard GTS doesn't come close.

Targa Tim:

I don't really care about wing, ducktail or no wing, I have them all now.

But GT3 always has wing from day one, that's its signature.  Why would Porsche make 2 versions of GT3 with wing and no wing?  You think 911 does not have enough variants already??

To be fair a adding or removing a wing does not make another variant, Carreras can get a GT3 like aerokit from factory and its still the same thing.

Personally I think that the GT3 should come with a wing standard, afterall it is there for a reason its not cosmetic and being the track oriented version of the 911, it makes total sense. What I'm saying is that there should also be an "option" to be able to remove it, just like you can add it to the carrera from factory, you should be able get the GT3 without it, its not like the car's is going to be crippled, look at the 991R.

They could even offer it as a package, just like there is the clubsport, there could be a street package with wing delete, rear difusor, and other synergistic options.

So I don't see a problem at all with those that order the GT3 with the wing, that should be the standard form for the GT3, but I can also understand those that may want to have a GT3 without it, like an 991R. Afterall, having the option makes everybody happy so I don't see any drawbacks.

Unfortunately I think politics will get in the way as I don't think Porsche may want to make the 991R customers mad with a wingless manual GT3.2 , I'm sure they are doing the math if its worthwhile or not.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

SciFrog:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

Because it give better sensations below 150kph... Plus the GTS has zero appeal when you have a California in the garage...

....... and much more frustrations .   I would sell the California and get the GTS instead .

What frustrations? The California has given me less hassles than the 3 last Porsches I have owned and at least whenever there is a problem with the car, it comes back fixed which has not been the case with the Porsches...

I owned a Boxster 20 years ago and a 911 convertible 15 years ago. Getting one again would be turning back, there are cars that provide much better ownership satisfaction. A standard GTS doesn't come close.

I think I'm going to bite my tongue of what I would label someone that compares a California with a 991, then again you want a convertible GT3 too...enough to say that if I had both in the garage, the California unfortunately would just collect dust all year around, so to each his own I guess...

--

Carlos from Spain:

Unfortunately I think politics will get in the way as I don't think Porsche may want to make the 991R customers mad with a wingless manual GT3.2 , I'm sure they are doing the math if its worthwhile or not.

Ahh but the 911R customers bought it for the love of Porsche surely SmileySmileySmiley

bluelines:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

+1

+2

Any more info or are we still debating the wing delete?

jamesdamanuk1:

Any more info or are we still debating the wing delete?

gee, what do you think?

--

We all know how Porsche's option goes. If we add one option there are a few that might have a mandatory change.

There is a wing delete option.

But it's a package deal where the GT3 engine is also deleted, in it's place it will be a 3.0L turbo engine. The GT3 badge is also deleted  and replaced with a GTS badge.

--

Whoopsy:

We all know how Porsche's option goes. If we add one option there are a few that might have a mandatory change.

But it's a package deal where the GT3 engine is also deleted, in it's place it will be a 3.0L turbo engine. The GT3 badge is also deleted  and replaced with a GTS badge.

looking for trouble Nick?Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Whoopsy:

Nick, while in Germany to pick up your R you are tasked with the mission of have providing more details on the .2GT3 such as when US dealers get allocations, hp and any other performance changes from the .1GT3. Also, determine if it is true the rumor that PTS will not be available until the spring 2018 and whether there are new options available.

Should you fail in your mission, you will be consigned to ordering yellow cars for the next ten years.indecision

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

You do realized Geneva is just around the corner right? If Porsche doesn't put out a early press release. While I will be picking up the R next Thursday, I won't be in Zuffenhausen until March 2nd. 

As for dealer allocations, if one isn't already on the dealers' list in the US, fat chance of getting allocated by now for the 1st year of production. For all likelihood, North American delivery will be after summer 2017 as a 2018 model year. Europeans gets first dibs and first customers cars will be out around June, if not late May. See time line of the GT3RS 2 years ago.

PTS will always be a mystery, Porsche never publicized it or explained it properly ever, it will always be ask them first and they will decide. And it is even harder now than before now that Eduardo at Rennlist has tried his hardest to spread the PTS news. Porsche was never set up properly to do mass PTS, so the extra requests that came after Eduardo's posts are giving them a hard time, it might come to a point that Porsche will stop doing PTS all together because of him.

The production line was never setup properly to do custom painting, Porsche do a much higher volume than say Ferrari and Lamborghini, that's why the Germans much prefer customers to pick readily approved colours.

In the old days Porsche keep a warehouse full of parts, so it was much easier to pull a bumper, a trim or whatever to get to the paint booth to get them painted in the same PTS color as the body. But now Porsche is doing Just-In-Time assembly, that means those custom painted part has to be paint-matched before delivery to the assembly line. 

For some PTS cars, the body, the exterior panels, etc are all shipped to a 3rd party off site to have a uniform painting before shipping back to the factory for assembly. One example would be a 911R with painted strip, not vinyl strips. The lines has to be painted perfectly to match up. You might remember Eduardo blew a fuse when I said about 3rd party off site painting. He thought I was undermining his 'authority' on being the 'bible' on PTS, and proceed to do like a million posts with a million quotes to try to discredit me to protect his 'reputation'. Some ego that guy had. 

In the old days, when Porsche was making a lot less cars, their Exclusive department can do wonders, the sky and wallet is the limit. But for some reason they never expanded the Exclusive department much if at all, so now they pretty much turn down most requests, and provide only a small selection of 'Exclusive Options' that they 'mass produced'.

if someone can remember the old days, like the 80s and 90s, Porsche Exclusive cranked out some really outrageous products, I saw a lot of photos when I was searching for the 3.6, Completely purple interior? Yup saw one 964 Turbo 3.6 with that. Actually it looks fantastic too. Btu those days are long gone.

Hell even when the 918 owners request CXX stuff on their 911R, there was a lot of push back but in the end money wins, there are a few of the Rs that has a US$400k+ MSRP. 

As for new options, the big news is only the manual transmission....................

--

Whoopsy:

The production line was never setup properly to do custom painting, Porsche do a much higher volume than say Ferrari and Lamborghini, that's why the Germans much prefer customers to pick readily approved colours.

...and that is understandable (to a certain degree) as long as they offer a color palette that is more than just different shades of grey with white/ black and an odd red/blue thrown in.

Nick, Porsche has been increasing the price of PTS over the past couple of years. Speculation is the prices increases would serve a twofold purpose. The money would go to increasing paint booths  and at the same time discouraging ordering PTS. By doing so,Porsche will be able to better manage the PTS issue and delay production by only three weeks.

This much I know. I worked hard for my money and unless one of the PTS colors knock my socks off I refuse to pay $6900 to paint a car already painted. Furthermore, even if I loved the color, I would not wait until the spring of 2018 to order the car.

For quite awhile I have been told that US dealers will be getting allocations for this summer (more than likely late summer) but that has never been confirmed.

Putting all that aside, should you get a chance to speak with the cleaning lady while in Zuffenhausen, your feedback would be appreciated.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Whoopsy:

We all know how Porsche's option goes. If we add one option there are a few that might have a mandatory change. There is a wing delete option. But it's a package deal where the GT3 engine is also deleted, in it's place it will be a 3.0L turbo engine. The GT3 badge is also deleted  and replaced with a GTS badge.

As for new options, the big news is only the manual transmission....................

Smiley

Thank you Whoopsy!

Well, the increased revenue from PTS orders are paying for diesel gate right now 

US dealers will definitely know their initial allocations for sure right after Geneva if not just before. The moment they formally announced the car the dealers are expected to be able to take orders right away.

Other than officially on the order sheet that a car is painted say candy apple red from Porsche, any competent paint shop can and will paint a car 1000 times superior to what Porsche's paint shop can put out. There is simply no comparison. 

I wil try and ask about the GT3, but seriously, I can always tell you guys what answers I will get. "There is only a few days left till Geneva", nothing important will be said when I am there.

But the GT2RS, that will be a different story.

--

SciFrog:

the frustrations I was mentioning is having a GT3 that you would only drive bellow 150 km/h in around a sub urban area .  The GT3 becomes really alive  above 5000 rpm , before that you only feel the ' potential ' and the extra noises and nervousness of the engine  . 

If you want a GT3 , not a GTS,  then having your California is not logique . The California is the Boxster . So , you should have a Speciale convertible to have the extra sensory experience you say you are looking for . 

But then, in flat and straight Florida, no real sports car makes sence . A good GT might be better .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Whoopsy:

Well, the increased revenue from PTS orders are paying for diesel gate right now 

US dealers will definitely know their initial allocations for sure right after Geneva if not just before. The moment they formally announced the car the dealers are expected to be able to take orders right away.

Other than officially on the order sheet that a car is painted say candy apple red from Porsche, any competent paint shop can and will paint a car 1000 times superior to what Porsche's paint shop can put out. There is simply no comparison. 

I wil try and ask about the GT3, but seriously, I can always tell you guys what answers I will get. "There is only a few days left till Geneva", nothing important will be said when I am there.

And that, Nick, is exactly what I would like to know more about. And of course any rumors about the "special one".blush. RC was speculation about a speedster, but my hopes are for a very competent and special .2 GT3 RS, so please use your charm in order to find out as much as possible please....smiley

The farmer:
    Whoopsy:

And that, Nick, is exactly what I would like to know more about. And of course any rumors about the "special one".blush. RC was speculation about a speedster, but my hopes are for a very competent and special .2 GT3 RS, so please use your charm in order to find out as much as possible please....smiley

I already know the special one, but I can't say a word yet, that's the problem Smiley

--

I heard something about an "empty" base version of the 991.2, kind of a light weight but not sure how accurate this is.

Whoopsy:

I already know the special one, but I can't say a word yet, that's the problem Smiley

Not even some hints ?  I am also very interested to know what it will be as I need to know if I need to already put pressure on my dealer to make sure I get one  ( the fight will be hard ) , or if I can relax as the car will not be something I want .....   I am only interested if it is from the GT department .

--

Josef:

I heard something about an "empty" base version of the 991.2, kind of a light weight but not sure how accurate this is.

That could also be interesting, but only if SERIOUSLY empty and light weight . Not 50 kg less. 

--

smileyWhoopsy:
    The farmer:
    Whoopsy:

Nick, you have my private contacts.......blushSmiley I, like Gnil, hope for something special from AP and his guys and even if I already push my dealer, I could push even harder if i knew whats coming.....Smiley

Whoopsy:

give us a hint...maybe you can tell if is a model that there were also on the .1 series or not...Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Whoopsy:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    The farmer:
    Whoopsy:

Did I already mention it in one of my posts? Smiley Smiley Smiley

If not, I think I know the "alternative". Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764179 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436417 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260995 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257926 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82617 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5328 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808814 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM