Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I would have this over a new AMG

it's the cheap money sloshing around

sfo:
    Lars997:

Found a nice one for 170k€

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=218268759&ambitCountry=DE&categories=Cabrio&sortOption.sortBy=crea...

lovely .. and vaguely affordable

I wanted to buy a Pagode 280 some while ago. I was so crazy about that car. Finally found an excellent one and asked for a test ride before giving my signature. What should I say - after 10 seconds I lost all emotions for that car. It was the most un-emotional and boring thing I ever been driving. Comparing to the 356 there are lightyears in between. The Mercedes is not handy at all, steering wheel is indirect and take longer ways than a 40t truck. In other words - the car looks adorable but driving it will be another story.

wantone:

I don't believe that these prices for classic cars are sustainable, it makes no sense.

I agree but people have money and 90% of them don't have a clue and/or don't trust the stock markets, so they put their money into vintage cars, art and real estate. Oh boy, if I had 10 Mio. right now, I would make at least 12-13 Mio. out of them in two years tops. The more money you have "available", the easier it is actually to make more from it right now. Actually, this is a stock market paradise right now (and has been for the past couple of years), just that many people haven't realized it yet.

Also, many people in Germany are keeping their money at the bank at a basically zero interest rate, which is just insane. The boyfriend of one of our female friends just sold his small house for 500k EUR because his daughter is out of the house and his wife died a couple of years ago. We were discussion investment options since he doesn't need another house or condo because he lives with his girlfriend. Now he is buying a condo in Munich for the money, he wants to rent it out and have a steady income from the rent. I think this is the most stupid idea right now but to each his own I guess. Prices in Munich have skyrocketed and all he gets for 500k is a smaller condo if he wants one in a good part of Munich. I do not give advice to friends and family because I do not want to be responsible if something goes wrong but I told him that I don't think this is a good idea and when I mentioned stocks, he looked at me as if I'm nuts. Smiley Ordinary people in Germany do not trust stocks, I don't have a clue why?! 

One of my customers lost half of his wealth (stocks, funds) when the crisis hit in 2008/2009 and he didn't listen. I told him at that time to be patient, he sold most of the stuff in panic and over three thirds of the stocks/funds he owned recovered. Last week, we were talking about the whole thing and he said that if he would have kept the stocks/funds, we would have gained 130% by now (incl. the loss he made from some of the stocks/funds). He doesn't trust stocks/funds anymore though, so I told him to get individual stocks but he had such a shock in 2008 that he decided "never again". His loss.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

If somebody is investing an amount > 100k EUR it is better to seek professional advise.

wantone:

If somebody is investing an amount > 100k EUR it is better to seek professional advise.

Every time my parents did that, they lost money. Every time I did that, I lost money.

In 2000, I started advising myself Smiley and never have been better. Then I thought it sounds good, so I took some professional advice again. Again, I lost. Smiley Never again. Smiley

I hear the same story over and over again from friends and family, only rarely they get good advice but most of the time, they lose money or the gain is ridiculously low (3-4% in two years are a joke).

Don't get me wrong, I would never advise people because I could be wrong and it could get me in serious trouble but so far, I am doing pretty well and as my bank advisor (only by his job definition, he isn't really my advisor) tells me often (when I doubt myself), I couldn't be lucky for 15 years straight, even if I still haven't found out why it worked so well. I am very cautious though and select only single stocks, also no "games" with puts, etc.. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The advise if there to avoid losing 50% of the person's wealth in risky investments. If one promises you easy returns then beware...

wantone:

The advise if there to avoid losing 50% of the person's wealth in risky investments. If one promises you easy returns then beware...

That customer of mine had all his assets at the largest German bank. Smiley A lot of real estate stuff, which went haywire... He never cared about his investments, the investment department at his bank did. My parents did the same but they were lucky, I pushed them out of it fast once I realized that stocks are fun (and my parents weren't happy at first...). Unfortunately they kept some real estate stuff and they lost aprox. 60% but the total sum of the investment was around 30k, so no big deal.

I never understood why really rich people never seem to take care of their own investments but delegate them to investment brokers or investment advisors. Maybe when you have that much, you don't care about a bit here or there but I wouldn't trust anyone with my money.

Met a guy in Miami once, he was the friend of a friend and very wealthy. He told me, in a very amused way, how he lost 5 Mio. with an investment but he kind of liked the risk, like playing poker. Smiley 5 Mio.? In my head, I said to myself that with this kind of money, I would double it in five to ten years, making it possible to retire without any worries. For him, the 5 Mio. were just some sort of play money, nothing he really worried about. Later on I heard from my friend that this guy lost 3 Mio. in a game (power? crabs?) in Las Vegas a couple of days before we met and he couldn't care less. This guy is not a billionaire but barely has under 100 Mio, which is still a lot of money but if he looses it that fast and doesn't seem to care... Smiley

--

This is because for a small fee they get sophisticated services and I guess they are in the position to realize the value of this advise.

Lars997:
    sfo:
    Lars997:

Found a nice one for 170k€

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=218268759&ambitCountry=DE&categories=Cabrio&sortOption.sortBy=crea...

lovely .. and vaguely affordable

I wanted to buy a Pagode 280 some while ago. I was so crazy about that car. Finally found an excellent one and asked for a test ride before giving my signature. What should I say - after 10 seconds I lost all emotions for that car. It was the most un-emotional and boring thing I ever been driving. Comparing to the 356 there are lightyears in between. The Mercedes is not handy at all, steering wheel is indirect and take longer ways than a 40t truck. In other words - the car looks adorable but driving it will be another story.

years ago, after months of looking and seeing a load of very poor cars at high prices, I found 1 family owned 230SL Pagoda which was totally unmolested and original. It needed a new paint job and some re-chroming. Owner wanted £16.5k, I was only willing to pay £15k. No deal. That car would be worth at least £100k today. I have not ever since then seen another Pagoda in anywhere near as good a condition. This is one car I have always regretted not buying.

a few years later, I drove a 230SL .. I agree, very dull, truck like engine, horrendous dynamics, but I still loved it.

I drove as a passenger in an original Gullwing last year, very cool experience but was surprised by that truck like engine. If you closed your eyes you could have been in a big old lorry.

Whilst I wish I had purchased the Countach I test drove from Foskers back in the day, I'm sure I would have not retained it given how crap it was - and regretted selling it early like a friend who traded his 1991 yellow 964RS for a black BMW CSL.

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Sorry RC but it is not reasonable to think you can double your money every 5 to 10 years. If you could do that you would be very rich, most hedge funds cannot do that.

Doubling your money in 10 years is only a 7.18% CAGR so certainly more than possible. In 5 years it's 14.9% which is very tough to average year in/year out.

Using an investment advisor/bank makes sense at a certain level of investment as it allows you access to things that you wouldn't normally see as an individual investor. Things like IPOs, follow on equity at discounts, off market deals, private placements on pre-IPOs, arb situations etc... it also gives you access to their knowledge base and if you're big enough you need to trade through a proper trading desk.

I"m an Equity analyst though so I'm biased ;) I do happen to think I know more about my sector than most people though (at least I think so)! I'm just unfortunately not allowed to invest in it...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

SciFrog:

Sorry RC but it is not reasonable to think you can double your money every 5 to 10 years. If you could do that you would be very rich, most hedge funds cannot do that.

+ 1

The bigger the amount, the harder it gets to double it .

RC, you would not invest in the same way 10 million , then you would 100k .

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

SciFrog:

You say? Smiley Smiley Actually, since 2000, I tripled. Smiley It is possible, especially if you have higher amounts of money available but you need to have a strategy and yes, you also will lose in the process but the gain will be higher.

Hedge funds? I don't have a clue what they do and I couldn't care less. Never listened to anyone and each time I did (twice), I lost. Never again.

--

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

+ 1

The bigger the amount, the harder it gets to double it .

RC, you would not invest in the same way 10 million , then you would 100k .

Actually, since I'm not a pro investor, I would. Diversification is very important here but we are also living in stock paradise right now, especially if you pick every single drop for getting in (again).

To each his own but I made a lot from little and I am pretty sure I could do much more from more. Smiley

I do not play the markets, puts and calls and swaps and whatever crap. I invest in single stocks. Period. Nothing fancy, nothing super mathematical and intellectual, nothing special. Pure and simple. Single stocks, no funds either.

Also, I learned two big lessons over the past 15 years: Do not panic and do not sell too early. With some more balls, I would have gained over 500% in the past 15 years but I was a chicken. Smiley (and I still am).

Simple example: I bought Commerzbank at 9.40 EUR when they dropped in September. Now they are 10.40 (they were 10.75 early November). So a gain of at least 1,35 EUR. If I had 10 Mio., I would have bought Commerzbank at 9.40 for at least 5 Mio.? Why? Commerzbank is the second largest bank in Germany and Deutsche Bank, the largest one, is in big sh.t right now. Simple math. Also, Commerzbank had some solid numbers, they also announced they would pay a dividend again. I do not think they will go over 12 EUR any time soon but anyway.

So let's do the simple match: 5 Mio. in Commerzbank stock at 9.40 would mean around 531000 stocks. At a gain of 1,35 EUR, I would have made 716850 EUR in merely six weeks or so. Take away the capital gain tax, I would have had a net gain of around 537000 EUR. More than 10% gain in six weeks. Simple, isn't it? Of course I didn't invest 5 Mio. in Commerzbank but much less but right now, I am looking at a nice vacation and maybe a car if it hits even more than 12 EUR. Smiley

I am focused on single stocks, so I don't lose the perspective. Sometimes it takes long (Apple), sometimes not.

Btw: I had tons of Tesla, Baidu and similar stocks but sold them way too early. Bummer.

--

RC:

Simple example: I bought Commerzbank at 9.40 EUR when they dropped in September. Now they are 10.40 (they were 10.75 early November). So a gain of at least 1,35 EUR. If I had 10 Mio., I would have bought Commerzbank at 9.40 for at least 5 Mio.? Why? Commerzbank is the second largest bank in Germany and Deutsche Bank, the largest one, is in big sh.t right now. Simple math. Also, Commerzbank had some solid numbers, they also announced they would pay a dividend again. I do not think they will go over 12 EUR any time soon but anyway.

So let's do the simple match: 5 Mio. in Commerzbank stock at 9.40 would mean around 531000 stocks. At a gain of 1,35 EUR, I would have made 716850 EUR in merely six weeks or so. Take away the capital gain tax, I would have had a net gain of around 537000 EUR. More than 10% gain in six weeks. Simple, isn't it? Of course I didn't invest 5 Mio. in Commerzbank but much less but right now, I am looking at a nice vacation and maybe a car if it hits even more than 12 EUR. Smiley

I am focused on single stocks, so I don't lose the perspective. Sometimes it takes long (Apple), sometimes not.

Btw: I had tons of Tesla, Baidu and similar stocks but sold them way too early. Bummer.

--

If you had 10 million, I am not sure you would risk 1/2 your worth in a single stock .

Any small bad news could of easily put Commerzbank into some loss . And with 5 million, even a few percent drop would be a lot of cash .

Right now I am sure you do not put 1/2 your worth into one single stock . So if you had 10 million you would probably only go with max 1 million . Bigger the amount , bigger the fear gets . That's why I say you would probably not do the same with 10 m then with 100k . You said it yourself, you are a chicken ( and good for you as it saves you from loosing too much ) 

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

I actually put more than 1/2 of my worth in a single stock (Apple for example) but it paid off. Big time. 

Why do you think I use basically almost every single Apple product? I want to get an idea of this company is ahead of the competition or not and if their products are fun to use. 

Commerzbank? Well, the stock goes up and down but I have never been wrong about them. Actually, I made quite a lot of money with the Commerzbank stock value fluctuations. I love this stock. Same goes to Apple, look how this stock played upside down for months, a real pleasure. 

Please don't get me wrong, I may be wrong at some point but my strategy always paid off.

Also, the money I invest, I made it a rule that I don't need it for at least two years...or ever. 

Truth be told, if I'd win 10 Mio. in the lottery right now, I would probably invest only 5 Mio., I would open a business in Miami (cars related, very likely, with a friend or two maybe, not more than 3 Mio. investment), I would buy a condo for 2 Mio. and thats it. 

It is easy to make plans with money you don't have.  wink

--

In reality you have had some luck. What you are describing it is not possible in real life.

wantone:

In reality you have had some luck. What you are describing it is not possible in real life.

I thought the same but luck for 15 years? Well...let's hope this lucky streak keeps on going. Smiley Smiley

For the past 10 years, I out-performed every year the investment department of my bank according to my bank guy. Actually, whenever I call them, they already know me, no matter who is on the phone and I haven't placed an order based on their recommendations for at least 10 years or so, with two (stupid) exceptions and luckily "cheap" ones.

Performance for this year (still a couple of weeks left...).

2015-11-27_17-59-02.jpg

Performance for the past four years (almost, minus a couple of weeks).

2015-11-27_17-59-52.jpg

Not possible, I know. Smiley Smiley

--

Size?

And I made an exact 3100% return buying and selling General Growth Properties (NYSE:GGP) in early 2009. It doesn't mean outside of outliers that swing  your averages you wouldn't make more money if you were able to use the tools that a significant investor gets through their investment bank. 

Just being able to be fast money playing off of equity offerings and IPOs can be very very lucrative. You can't do that at all (at worst) or anywhere to the same degree/allocations (at best) when you don't have those tools.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

It's very easy to get these returns over the last 5-6 years. You just put your money in tech or better a NASDAQ ETF.

1YR 19%

5YRS 140%

Source: http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/indices/nasdaq-total-returns.aspx

But it's a bit naive to think that you can achieve 20% every year.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

wantone:

Exactly. Sorry to rain on your parade RC, you have done great, but half of your wealth in one stock? That is not investing, that's gambling.

Oh and if anyone can make 10% a year of the next 10 years with low risk I can raise billions of $ for you...

SciFrog:
    Oh and if anyone can make 10% a year of the next 10 years with low risk I can raise billions of $ for you...

Smiley

The last guy that promised this and raised billions:

--

SciFrog:
    wantone:

Exactly. Sorry to rain on your parade RC, you have done great, but half of your wealth in one stock? That is not investing, that's gambling.

I did it for a reason, I know tech very well, I started to build my own computers and amateur radios when I was 12 years old and since that time, I went through a lot of tech to recognize "gems" and crap. Smiley Also one reason I bought competitor products as well, to be able to compare and make a business decision. It worked.

Now I am more cautious with Apple of course because I have the feeling that the smartphone and tablet business is at a (technology) turning point, where the current tech gets only thinner, lighter and maybe faster but there is no real technological breakthrough...until there is going to be one (flexible displays may be such an obvious breakthrough but only if they add functionality and some sort of customer benefit). I will sell my remaining Apple stock at around 140 USD, I think but if Apple surprises me, I may stick longer with them. The next iPhone 7 will be interesting and even more the next iPad Air. Not waiting for innovations here but for something which would make people stick with Apple instead of the competition. Even a nice and fresh design language could do the trick.

Stupid question regarding your "raising billions...": What car did you drive lately? I may have missed that. Smiley Smiley Please don't get me wrong but there are some things even investment professionals cannot fully compensate. Experience and gut feel at a certain age. 

15 years of luck? Well, if you really think that, you have still a lot to learn. Smiley Smiley

Like I said before, I keep it simple. Most of the investment people I know overcomplicate things. To each his own I guess. Smiley

--

993Targa:
    SciFrog:

Smiley

The last guy that promised this and raised billions:

--

LOL...I do not promise anything because I do not give investment advice, unless specifically asked and when I do, I tell people what I do but usually, it seems to be too simple for them and they ignore it. Smiley Buying only single stocks and playing them on fluctuations? Nah, thats boring...why should they do what I do...they do puts and calls and gold and whatnot crap and in the end, they tell me how bad stock investments are because they made a loss. Oh well, I bet to differ but to each his own I guess. Smiley

--

wantone:

Size?

You're serious? On a public forum? For strangers? Smiley

Let me put it this way: I am happy but I could be happier. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    SciFrog:
    wantone:

I did it for a reason, I know tech very well, I started to build my own computers and amateur radios when I was 12 years old and since that time, I went through a lot of tech to recognize "gems" and crap. Smiley Also one reason I bought competitor products as well, to be able to compare and make a business decision. It worked.

Now I am more cautious with Apple of course because I have the feeling that the smartphone and tablet business is at a (technology) turning point, where the current tech gets only thinner, lighter and maybe faster but there is no real technological breakthrough...until there is going to be one (flexible displays may be such an obvious breakthrough but only if they add functionality and some sort of customer benefit). I will sell my remaining Apple stock at around 140 USD, I think but if Apple surprises me, I may stick longer with them. The next iPhone 7 will be interesting and even more the next iPad Air. Not waiting for innovations here but for something which would make people stick with Apple instead of the competition. Even a nice and fresh design language could do the trick.

Stupid question regarding your "raising billions...": What car did you drive lately? I may have missed that. Smiley Smiley Please don't get me wrong but there are some things even investment professionals cannot fully compensate. Experience and gut feel at a certain age. 

15 years of luck? Well, if you really think that, you have still a lot to learn. Smiley Smiley

Like I said before, I keep it simple. Most of the investment people I know overcomplicate things. To each his own I guess. Smiley

--

1) raising billions is not the same as being worth billions, language barrier?

2) most billionaires (for sure the ones I know) couldn't care less about cars, many usually don't even drive and if they do the last thing on their mind is a sport car

3) I drive the best cars I could find in their respective segments: the best manual 4 seater GT car, the best sounding car, the best fun 4 seater sport convertible, the best daily driver crossover, plus a couple of cheap cars that are needed (7 seater beater) or just can't part with (Mini manual convertible). Considering we don't drive on a daily basis, that's way too many cars anyway Smiley. You obviously tried to link wealth and what car you drive. Well believe it or not that are many of us who don't care about driving the latest greatest fastest most powerful thing out there and that privilege ownership experience and needs vs price tag and new model bragging rights and don't feel the need to change car every one or two years. There are many other ways to spend the funny money, car is just one of the possibilities and probably one that costs the least Smiley

4) sorry you don't like to hear this but your style of investing is closer to gambling and the fact that it worked for 15 years is skill but also mostly luck. Others have said it too, and for two reasons: short horizon and lack of diversification. There is a reason most money managers cannot match some of your results, no one would take on the risks you have with other people money. Individuals always focus on the absolute returns and never consider or mention risk. Sometimes even if you have the right idea, external factors can be factors more important than you original idea (accounting fraud, sudden death of a key person, government or tax probe). There are very few really good money managers and you can't invest with them anyway (they are either closed or have very high minimums and big lock up periods or so secret you have never heard of them) so you should keep doing what you are doing without putting your family finances at risk (you have mentioned that this is what you do now). I don't see the problem with admitting you have been lucky, I do it all the time. The odds of being lucky for 15 years straight or flipping heads 15 times in a row aren't that big relative to the population and these simple odds would be doubling your money every year...

5) I still have a lot to learn, actually the brightest mind around me also still have a lot to learn too funny enough so back to your point: yes I still have A LOT to learn and try to do so every day.

6) keeping things simple is probably a good idea but not for the reasons you mention. If you complicate things you will pays way more fees, and fees are your enemy in long term investing. But too simple is again not actively investing...

SciFrog:

4) sorry you don't like to hear this but your style of investing is closer to gambling and the fact that it worked for 15 years is skill but also mostly luck. Others have said it too, and for two reasons: short horizon and lack of diversification. There is a reason most money managers cannot match some of your results, no one would take on the risks you have with other people money. Individuals always focus on the absolute returns and never consider or mention risk. Sometimes even if you have the right idea, external factors can be factors more important than you original idea (accounting fraud, sudden death of a key person, government or tax probe). There are very few really good money managers and you can't invest with them anyway (they are either closed or have very high minimums and big lock up periods or so secret you have never heard of them) so you should keep doing what you are doing without putting your family finances at risk (you have mentioned that this is what you do now). I don't see the problem with admitting you have been lucky, I do it all the time.

I think there is a certain misunderstanding here. I did the Apple thing for about 14 months or so and it was a one time thing. Diversification is a key factor in investments and sometimes patience as well (patience is something I have to learn, I cash in way too early when I get scared). No, I don't have been lucky (even I believed so...), my bank guy and his colleagues beg to differ and I argued with them pretty often (especially when it came to Apple and Samsung...let's say he lost and I won... Smiley).

5) I still have a lot to learn, actually the brightest mind around me also still have a lot to learn too. The odds of being lucky for 15 years straight or flipping heads 15 times in a row aren't that big relative to the population and these simple odds would be doubling your money every year...

Learning never stops, indeed. However, my investments are kept very simple, so the learning curve is quite...flat. Smiley

6) keeping things simple is probably a good idea but not for the reasons you mention. If you complicate things you will pays way more fees, and fees are your enemy in long term investing. But too simple is again not actively investing...

For me, the key factor is to keep things simple. This is how my personal strategy works. Each and every time I tried something else and listened to others, I failed. Well, I actually won 11k EUR with a USD Swap deal but I didn't have a clue what I am doing. Seriously, pure luck and blind trust in my bank guy (which failed me twice before with funds).

I play the markets on volatility. Of course this could change in a a year, two or more but so far, I have done pretty well.

To each his own I guess... Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689981 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409457 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255848 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858209 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774331 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM