Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4

WAY:

The brakes would be way way overkill for track days where you do a few laps at a time. 

The brakes are the same size as stock iron brakes - no more or less overkill than the brakes that come on GT4 (which are same as 991RS which has 115hp more and weighs more).  

Getting optional street PCCB is even more overkill by a pretty significant margin.

GT4 brakes are most capable for its speed and weight ever offered for the road from Porsche.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport...

(18 November 2015)

LA debut for race version of a certain, much discussed Cayman variant...

"Before you ask, no, it's not road legal. As previously discussed, this is a proper racing car, sold by Porsche Motorsport in Weissach and seeking homolgation approval for use in events like the VLN (and, by extension, Nurburgring 24-hour), Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA, Ultra 94 GT3 Cup Challenge Canada and the like.

Gifting the Cayman GT4 some genuine 'derived from motorsport' credibility was probably not entirely necessary given they've not exactly struggled to shift them as-is but it can't do any harm the car's already stellar reputation. Or the smugness levels of those who secured one.

Ooh, get you, showing a bit of sidewall...

Turning it into a race car hasn't seemed to require a huge amount of work either, the Clubsport getting front suspension struts and additional rear components from the 911 GT3 Cup car, 12-step adjustable ABS for the 380mm steel-rotored brakes, full welded in cage, a racing seat and harness and choice of 70-, 90- or 100-litre tanks according to need. Some quirks of making the GT4 into a racing car include ditching the signature manual gearbox in favour of a six-speed PDK transmission and running a bit of sidewall on the 18-inch, Michelin shod five-stud wheels.

Power remains as per the road car at 385hp from the 3.8-litre (pre turbo) Carrera S flat-six, Porsche claiming a weight of 1,300kg without detailing if this is dry or with fluids. For reference the road car's DIN kerbweight without driver is 1,340kg so for all the suggestion of race-honed athletiticism it's no flyweight. Cost? 111,000 euros, plus VAT. Time will tell whether or not the GT4 makes for a competitive race package but you have to doubt Porsche would have bothered if it could be competed as such. And even if it isn't it looks a bucket load of fun."

Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport -- PistonHeads link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Race-focused Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport revealed...

The Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport gets a host of track upgrades and will be homologated for sports car racing championships around the world...

(18 November 2015)

"The race track-focused Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport has made its official public debut at the Los Angeles motor show.

The Cayman GT4 Clubsport uses the same 3.8-litre flat-six engine as the GT4 road car, with the power output unchanged at 380bhp. However, while a dual-clutch gearbox was considered and rejected for the roadgoing GT4, the racer gets steering wheel-mounted paddles controlling a PDK transmission.

The rest of the mechanical make-up is remarkably similar to the ‘regular’ GT4. There’s a mechanical rear differential, although the lightweight rear suspension is taken from the 911 GT3 Cup race car instead of the GT3 road car, as is the strut front axle. The passenger seat has gone and there’s a welded-in roll cage and a bucket seat with a six-point harness.Porsche claims an all-in weight of 1300kg. It comes with a 90-litre fuel tank as standard, although a 70-litre and 100-litre alternative is also offered.

The GT4 Clubsport gets 380mm steel brakes all round, with one-piece, six-piston, aluminium fixed calipers at the front, and four-piston versions at the rear. The ABS system is highly tweakable, with 12 stages of adjustment, and the ESP system has been adapted to work with slick tyres.

The Cayman GT4 Clubsport will be sold through Porsche’s motorsport business at Weissach or the US importer. Prices starts at €110,000 plus local taxes, which should mean a price of £77,850, or £93,400 including VAT.

Porsche says it plans to homologate the car for use in a number of sports car racing championships around the world, including the Pirelli World Challenge, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and club races run by the Porsche Club of America.

The choice of name is potentially significant, because Clubsport still offers the tantalising possibility of an even more hardcore road-going and racing Cayman, badged GT4 RS."

Race-focused Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport revealed -- Autocar link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The PCCB question will go on ad nauseum. I've owned and tracked both. I loved the PCCBs but just wanted to get away from the ever-present fear of it costing a lot should I damage them - it spoilt my fun on track. Apart from that they are brilliant.

The latest generation are proving a lot more durable on-track, and the extra power and weight of the newer cars weighing heavy on the iron brakes on the GT3 at least - cost-wise it's closer than it used to be. If I ordered a GT4 tomorrow it would have PCCB as its power/weight ratio means they would last..

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

(Also the cleanliness and engineering geek-factor appeals to me)

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Man that GT4CS is THE Cayman that I lusted after.

PERFECT!!!!!!

--

It has PDK, but is the engine still derived from the 991 regular engine or the GT3?

SciFrog:

It has PDK, but is the engine still derived from the 991 regular engine or the GT3?

Carrera motor - and it uses slicks

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

DaveGordon:

If I ordered a GT4 tomorrow it would have PCCB as its power/weight ratio means they would last..

The option is also cheaper on the GT4 for some reason - I definitely considered it...

--

Grant:
    WAY:

The brakes would be way way overkill for track days where you do a few laps at a time. 

The brakes are the same size as stock iron brakes - no more or less overkill than the brakes that come on GT4 (which are same as 991RS which has 115hp more and weighs more).  

Getting optional street PCCB is even more overkill by a pretty significant margin.

GT4 brakes are most capable for its speed and weight ever offered for the road from Porsche.

--

Ah my apologies. It just looked HUGE because of the 18 inch wheels! Didn't read the articles so didn't realise it was the same size as stock. Completely agree that the brakes especially with PCCB are overkill by a significant margin!

This is the car I would buy if I was doing any track... Love it. 

SciFrog:

This is the car I would buy if I was doing any track... Love it. 

ANY track?  Requires a truck and trailer, as it is not street legal.  So, doesn't make sense unless one is planning on LOTS of track...

--

WAY:

Ah my apologies. It just looked HUGE because of the 18 inch wheels! Didn't read the articles so didn't realise it was the same size as stock. Completely agree that the brakes especially with PCCB are overkill by a significant margin!

No apology necessary Smiley

--

Makes me want to wrap my car in that scheme!  

There are plenty of pics on the net but let me know if you want anything in particular.  

"Rebels race harder" smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Remember that there is going to be 2 more versions of the GT4 racecar.

I believe Club Sport is the entry level.

Don't remember the other two right now.

Kobalt:

Yeah? Trippelmums! Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Kobalt:

Yeah? Trippelmums! Smiley

Smiley 

I used Google Translate to find a good english translation of "Trippelmums". Did not work so well...

Skärmavbild 2015-11-19 kl. 09.53.35.png

I guess loosely translated it is "triple yummy" for our non-swedish speaking friends here on RT.

--

Whoopsy:

PERFECT!!!!!!

With some luck, you could gain a street legal certification...I don't know the laws in Canada though.

This is a very interesting car and with PDK, this is a monster.

gt4cs.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

PERFECT!!!!!!

With some luck, you could gain a street legal certification...I don't know the laws in Canada though.

Yes, this looks like the perfect street car Smiley Full roll cage, slicks, zero ground clearance, one seat, no airbag, etc...

--

It appears to have the PDK-S gear lever, but does it actually have the PDK-S gearbox? Or normal PDK?

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

PERFECT!!!!!!

Yes, this looks like the perfect street car Smiley Full roll cage, slicks, zero ground clearance, one seat, no airbag, etc...

This car would be safer than any street legal car. Smiley Ground clearance? No problem. You can adjust ride height. One seat? No problem. You could add another one (not sure however you would need to). Airbags? Oh well, look at this roll cage and the seat... Slicks? Exchanging them for semi-slicks shouldn't be a problem.

It is possible to get this car street legal in certain countries but nobody said it would be easy.

Also, I'm still waiting for that rumored GT4 RS with PDK... Smiley Maybe next year?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

This car would be safer than any street legal car. Smiley Ground clearance? No problem. You can adjust ride height. One seat? No problem. You could add another one (not sure however you would need to). Airbags? Oh well, look at this roll cage and the seat... Slicks? Exchanging them for semi-slicks shouldn't be a problem.

Oh well, no problem then Smiley

Do you serisouly suggest that the racing shell seat and full roll cage makes an airbag reduntant for street use? Driving this car without a helmet and HANS device makes it a death trap.

RC:

Also, I'm still waiting for that rumored GT4 RS with PDK... Smiley Maybe next year?

That would be excellent. Both for those who want a GT4 RS with PDK and for the owners of the current manual GT4 since the car instantaneously becomes even more special and sought after than today. 

--

bluelines:
    RC:

Do you serisouly suggest that the racing shell seat and full roll cage makes an airbag reduntant for street use? Driving this car without a helmet and HANS device makes it a death trap.

RC:

That would be excellent. Both for those who want a GT4 RS with PDK and for the owners of the current manual GT4 since the car instantaneously becomes even more special and sought after than today. 

Whoever drives such a car on the street, actually drives it from home to the track and back. This is no car for sole street usage, it doesn't make sense at all. I already know a couple of people who own a Cup car or a RSR with street legal certification. This doesn't mean these are perfect road cars but they are safer than any car older than 20 years. Smiley

The 6-point harness alone with a proper racing shell could already "replace" an airbag, the car is not a death trap without air bags. This is a misconception.

--

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

RC:

Whoever drives such a car on the street, actually drives it from home to the track and back. This is no car for sole street usage, it doesn't make sense at all. I already know a couple of people who own a Cup car or a RSR with street legal certification. This doesn't mean these are perfect road cars but they are safer than any car older than 20 years. Smiley

The 6-point harness alone with a proper racing shell could already "replace" an airbag, the car is not a death trap without air bags. This is a misconception.

Now you went from "safer than any street legal car" to "safer than any car older than 20 yearsSmiley

Unlike a normal seat belt the 6-point harness provides no flex for the body and joints. It can cause serious neck damages without a HANS device to catch the momentum of the head. That is why 6-point harnesses are not legal for street use in many countries (they can be mounted, but not used).

The full rollcage, without using a helmet, can cause serious head trauma in a side collision. That is why full rollcages are not street legal in many countries.

--

100% correct - HANS would be mandatory otherwise it is more dangerous for you're neck - even when u have a small accident only

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689950 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409441 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65582 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774298 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM