Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Dubai Motor Show 2015

J.Seven:

What´s the point of the damage Range Rover Sport Smiley

Amazing car show and pics indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCqxwm8mWc

Thanks for all the great photos !

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

Wow, thanks a lot for the many amazing photos. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Dubai, it seems, is the world capital of bling

sfo:

Dubai, it seems, is the world capital of bling

Definitely. Smiley If I wasn't afraid of traveling to the region, this could have been my second favorite vacation spot after Miami. Many people I know travel to Dubai but with two kids, I prefer to choose less risky regions. I know that nothing has happened yet but there is too much chatter going on regarding that region and I am just cautious. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC I was in Dubai with all my family recently. It is very safe and actually we had a better experience than 5 years ago. It actually felt way safer than Paris (I have never felt safe there) even when going to the souk.

SciFrog:

RC I was in Dubai with all my family recently. It is very safe and actually we had a better experience than 5 years ago. It actually felt way safer than Paris (I have never felt safe there) even when going to the souk.

The authorities there are very good in making people feel safe but... Smiley

I am sorry but I completely avoid certain regions for a reason (I cannot really elaborate on this but I wouldn't put my kids in danger). No Dubai, no Turkey, no Egypt or Morocco and not even Israel (which is pretty safe regarding airport and plane safety) for me.  Smiley  I have been to some of these countries in the past but at that time, I didn't have kids with me.

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

The authorities there are very good in making people feel safe but... Smiley

I am sorry but I completely avoid certain regions for a reason (I cannot really elaborate on this but I wouldn't put my kids in danger). No Dubai, no Turkey, no Egypt or Morocco and not even Israel (which is pretty safe regarding airport and plane safety) for me.  Smiley  I have been to some of these countries in the past but at that time, I didn't have kids with me.

I feel the same way about traveling to those regions. I would never risk it given the current climate. I guess terrorism is working to an extent. Sad but true.

SciFrog:

Ironically, despite the "best efforts" of the terrorists in France back in January and last week, the statistical odds of a USA resident being killed by a firearm are many times greater in any year than those of someone being killed in either a "normal" gun-related crime or in a terrorist attack in France in this exceptionally bad year of 2015.

So much for Trump's claim in several speeches in the last couple of days blaming the death toll in Paris on the restricted ownership of guns in France.

--

fritz

fritz:
    SciFrog:

Ironically, despite the "best efforts" of the terrorists in France back in January and last week, the statistical odds of a USA resident being killed by a firearm are many times greater in any year than those of someone being killed in either a "normal" gun-related crime or in a terrorist attack in France in this exceptionally bad year of 2015.

So much for Trump's claim in several speeches in the last couple of days blaming the death toll in Paris on the restricted ownership of guns in France.

Don't forget that many (actually a majority!) of the reported gun related deaths in the US are suicides. Smiley The liberal media in the US and the media in Europe always kind of forgets to mention this "little detail". Smiley

I agree however that owning a personal gun wouldn't have helped during the terror attacks in Paris. Crowds of people, people sitting at tables in a restaurant, it is dark, a private person with a personal gun could have caused even more damage than the terrorists. Whoever has training with guns knows what I am talking about. If not, maybe you have the wrong training. Smiley 

Also, especially in times of terrorism, the concealed carrying of a gun is problematic, even for police officers. I remember how a police officer without uniform got in serious trouble at a public event in Munich because he went there directly from work and forgot that he had his work weapon with him. They almost shot him and now he has been demoted.

--

I don't own a gun (or maybe I do) but when the terrorists or burglars come into my town or my home I would rather be able to legally prepare and defend myself. That simple. Also the media never run stories about gun owners who stop crimes and save people as a result. People also forget that we distrust government. The point of gun ownership in the US is to keep the government at bay and not turn into a dictatorship. That is a fact.  I would rather take my chances with gun ownership here than unarmed walking around a European city under Isis attack. A gun is a tool. That simple. You must know how to use it. Taking it away and thinking the government will protect you is foolish but I'm certain this is what government would like. Try to avoid being suckered into such logic if you can. 

RC:
    fritz:
    SciFrog:

Don't forget that many (actually a majority!) of the reported gun related deaths in the US are suicides. Smiley The liberal media in the US and the media in Europe always kind of forgets to mention this "little detail". Smiley

I agree however that owning a personal gun wouldn't have helped during the terror attacks in Paris. Crowds of people, people sitting at tables in a restaurant, it is dark, a private person with a personal gun could have caused even more damage than the terrorists. Whoever has training with guns knows what I am talking about. If not, maybe you have the wrong training. Smiley 

Also, especially in times of terrorism, the concealed carrying of a gun is problematic, even for police officers. I remember how a police officer without uniform got in serious trouble at a public event in Munich because he went there directly from work and forgot that he had his work weapon with him. They almost shot him and now he has been demoted.

I didn't forget it.
    The number of homicides by firearm in the USA has already exceeded 11.000 so far in 2015. Adding suicides takes the figure well past 30,000/annum. 
    The total number of firearm-related homicides, including shootings by terrorists plus other terrorist killings (explosive devices of suicide bombers) in France in the same period will be fewer than 200. In a more typical recent year (with no terrorist activities), the number of gun-related homicides in France amounted to just 35. 
    In view of the huge difference between these figures, only an idiot could argue that widespread gun ownership would save lives. 

A couple of figures at the top of the article linked to here also demonstrate the stupidity of the argument made by Trump and others: 
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/05/viral-image/fact-checking-comparison-gun-deaths-and-terrorism-/

--

fritz

Fully agree,

But I think we should go back to this topic after great effort made by Bi-turbo to pleases all with those wonderful pics.

--

J.Seven

Here's a fun video of a couple of Range Rovers tackling some difficult terrain in Utah. These things are incredibly capable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGOgF4UgsY

angel

Being an Australian and like most Australians, I'm anti-guns. But let's discuss this on an off-topic thread. 

Thanks for the photos. I miss being at a motor show like this where all the top manufacturers are present! I'm planning to go to one of the "majors" next year. Fingers crossed!

I wish manufacturers would organize some sort of motorshow of their own once a year or every two years, where people would be able to see all their products, maybe even close to the factory, so people have a chance to take a peek into production. It would certainly help to sell more cars.

What I do not like about car shows is the fact that you may not even get close to certain cars because you're not a VIP/customer. Once I went with a guy to a car show and I took him with me into the Porsche area, while he took me with him into the Ferrari area. Without having each others back, we would have seen the cars from a distance and the major highlights at that time would have been off-limits for a closer look anyway.

The last big car show I attended was in Munich and I think it was over 20 years ago. Went to some smaller shows but they didn't really impress me.

--

The UK doesn't even get a Motor show any more - (you can't count the MotorExpo any more as it's just rubbish)

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

The UK doesn't even get a Motor show any more - (you can't count the MotorExpo any more as it's just rubbish)

Weird, isn't it? Smiley

--

It is very costly for manufacturers to participate in an auto show...

UK's motor show is the Goodwood Festival of Speed

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    663179 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401460 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254638 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229421 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59829 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4386 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853689 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762295 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM