Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: LaFerrari, P1 and 918 comparison finally happening [video]

mistake in the video. Trofeo r...

Boyko23:

Mat Jackson was a McLaren development driver for the whole period of P1's development!
    All this equals to 0,23s. :)
    British way to make independent tests... :)

There was no conspiracy involved here - period. The conclusion of the test so far  is fundamentally that it is essentially a dead heat.

Boyko23:

Correct, seen it on the sidewall.. Then again Trofeo R is perfectly roadlegal nobody has forbidden Porsche to work with Pirelli on a Trofeo for their 918. I have Trofeo's on my RS and while I admit they're quicker than MPSC, it's hardly night and day.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:
    Boyko23:

Correct, seen it on the sidewall.. Then again Trofeo R is perfectly roadlegal nobody has forbidden Porsche to work with Pirelli on a Trofeo for their 918. I have Trofeo's on my RS and while I admit they're quicker than MPSC, it's hardly night and day.

Night and day not required. Only need 0.23s. SmileySmiley

crayphile:
    Boyko23:

Mat Jackson was a McLaren development driver for the whole period of P1's development!
    All this equals to 0,23s. :)
    British way to make independent tests... :)

There was no conspiracy evolved here - period. The conclusion of the test so far  is fundamentally that it is essentially a dead heat.

It is not a dead heat because if you take price into consideration the Porsche is the winner.

Someone might argue that for people who consider these cars a few  £100K difference are neither here nor there, but if Porsche upped their cost and price to the level of the other two they could get a very clear winner.

--

"Form follows function"

noone1:

I really don't see why people harp on about that. It's like people are trying to conclude real world performance based on track performance, but while assigning real world traffic laws to the track. it doesn't even make sense to talk about road compliance on a track test.

Does the P1 use a non-legal ride height on the track? Yes. Does the 918 reach speeds above the legal speed limit on a track? Yes.

In the real world, keeping things "legal", the 918, LF, P1, and a Toyota Prius are exactly the same because there is a posted speed limit and designated lanes at any given time. It's no more illegal to use the P1 in its lowered form than it is to break the speed limit with a 918.

The point of a track test is to show what a stock car, in stock form, can do at the track. That's all. If you go to the track, be it with a P1 or 918, don't you just want to be as fast as possible?

Blabla. We all know you are a McLaren fanboy posting all over on car forums.

All the car forums? All the car forums? You mean all two of them? Fchat and Rennteam? LOL.

You found me, fanboy #1. So much of a fanboy that my 12C has been sitting in my garage for the better part of 3 years because I honestly don't even care much about cars these days. Nothing but a time waster nowadays. If you fly to the States I'll let you drive it around a bit and keep the tires from getting flat spots. Just make sure you dust it off.

Don't quit your day job, Topspeed. Assuming you have one, that is. Maybe you're just taking a break from your science fair project to stalk people on forums?

reginos:

Whoopsy, we don't agree on Malta, no problem and thank you for your views..

wink Agreed to disagree Smiley

Now to Silverstone. Would these 0.34 secs (with all the provisos mentioned) have made you change your mind about which car to choose? Because out of all of us that theorize here you are the only who could afford such a hypercar.

If yes, then this test is relevant.

If no, then there is no point debating.

I had explained that me deciding to let go of my P1 allocation was due to how the 2 cars are designed and built. Performance, aka, results from head to head or whatever, is just icing on the cake. 

I am not going to lose sleep over a fraction of a second over a 58 second lap. That difference is well within a driver's own lap times variation, actually all 3 cars' time are within that time frame, so basically this test is a tie. 

But on the other hand, one can see the P1 is too under tired. Under heavy braking the car wiggles a lot, the front tires are pretty much overloaded, has it been run on wider tires front and rear, I do believe the P1 can post a better time. The potential is there but is not realized. The Trofeo Rs are a stickier tire than the standard Corsa, but they were sized and engineered for the slower 12C, and are 1 size smaller than the regular P1 Corsa. The P1 generates too much speed for the smaller Trofeo R to handle in simple terms. 

--

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

Now to Silverstone. Would these 0.34 secs (with all the provisos mentioned) have made you change your mind about which car to choose? Because out of all of us that theorize here you are the only who could afford such a hypercar.

I had explained that me deciding to let go of my P1 allocation was due to how the 2 cars are designed and built. Performance, aka, results from head to head or whatever, is just icing on the cake. 

I am not going to lose sleep over a fraction of a second over a 58 second lap. That difference is well within a driver's own lap times variation, actually all 3 cars' time are within that time frame, so basically this test is a tie. 

But on the other hand, one can see the P1 is too under tired. Under heavy braking the car wiggles a lot, the front tires are pretty much overloaded, has it been run on wider tires front and rear, I do believe the P1 can post a better time. The potential is there but is not realized. The Trofeo Rs are a stickier tire than the standard Corsa, but they were sized and engineered for the slower 12C, and are 1 size smaller than the regular P1 Corsa. The P1 generates too much speed for the smaller Trofeo R to handle in simple terms. 

What do you think is the reason for McLaren not addressing this issue? What would have been the trade-off?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Whoopsy:
    reginos:

What do you think is the reason for McLaren not addressing this issue? What would have been the trade-off?

They can't. P1 is confined by the 12C architecture, you can only stuff so big a wheel/tire into the wheel well, and the stock P1 Corsas is already maxing out the space, and the Trofeo R is not available in the stock P1 size. 

Using the 12C's Trofeo R does provides a measure of enhanced grip over the Corsas, even with going down 1 size, outside of putting actually slicks on the P1, there really is nothing McLaren can do, unless they can convince Pirelli to produce P1 specific Trofeo Rs. 

See the GT3RS, same thing. Porsche stuffed the biggest wheel/tire package they can into a 911 body, they barely fit and still with rubbing issues. The P1 with Race mode don't have that luxury, with the car lowered there is barely any room left for bigger tires. 

--

noone1:

All the car forums? All the car forums? You mean all two of them? Fchat and Rennteam? LOL.

Please don't try to downplay this now. I have even seen you on Horse & Hound claiming that McLaren is, quote, "da real shit".

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

noone1:

If you fly to the States I'll let you drive it around a bit and keep the tires from getting flat spots. Just make sure you dust it off.

I'm closer to LA, I'll take that offer.  Smiley

bluelines:
    noone1:

Please don't try to downplay this now. I have even seen you on Horse & Hound claiming that McLaren is, quote, "da real shit".

I just had an epiphany. Following me around on all two of the car forums, calling me a fanboy, would make Topspeed a fanboy-fanboy, no? A fanboy of fanboys -- the epitome of fanboyism.

It takes one to know one......smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Not entirely off topic - Jethro runs the new Radical to challenge P1's lap time:

http://youtu.be/QEnefvOnI4M

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

1446148584961image.jpeg

1/8 Mile Seconds 1/8 Mile MPH 1/4 Mile Seconds 1/4 Mile MPH
    Ferrari LaFerrari 7.72 108.28 11.21 142.47
    McLaren P1 7.39 112.17 10.90 145.16
    Porsche 918 Spyder 7.15 109.34 10.65 142.46

http://youtu.be/e9FUAvxsrf0

Can´t waite for part 3.

--

J.Seven

So what has the results from the first two videos informed us thus far? I think the answer for that is that there is virtually no performance advantage of any of the 3 cars. They are all pretty much as good as each other!

The turbo-ed P1 loved the cold dense air and hence it trapped the highest speed through the 1/4 mile. 

The LaFerrari and P1 has trouble putting down all that power with only 2 wheels and the 4wd traction advantage of the 918 shows up big time in time to distance races, it pulls out a good enough lead that the other cars cannot make up even with more HP and speed. 

--

As I wrote earlier, they all have their individual strengths. However, the 918 appears to be the best all around car for daily use.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

So much fun at MLife trying to teach one member there about gear ratios, torque output curve, the shape of a car acceleration graph.

Someone can't accept the P1's loss and trying to poke holes into the results. I mean, how hard is it to see a car's acceleration in each gear will tapers off towards the end while being stronger earlier in the revs? 

He can only think of car acceleration is a straight line, linear in nature so it's not possible for the 918 to come out ahead mail

I think all the technical stuff got their brains is such a tight knot that they will explode soon.

--

Ferrari LaFerrari v Bugatti Veyron SS v McLaren P1 v Porsche 918 Spyder v Pagani Huayra – Part 1

http://youtu.be/WBpzIDioYjE

Excellent... Salomondrin rocks it! I love that guy... unconventional car nerd

Oh he got no filters, you should have seem him within the 918 owners group indecision

--

he seems kinda douchey to me, but you know, can't judge a book by it's shiny chromed vinyl cover  yes

+1 

Major Dan Blizerian complex. 

Whoopsy:

Oh he got no filters, you should have seem him within the 918 owners group indecision

That's what I guessed. But hey - only people which are provocateurs are changing the world.  

Picture a Mexican version of Jeremy Clarkson.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xXCcmK__fs

Topspeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xXCcmK__fs

I didn´t know this guy but I´m starting to like him Smiley

--

J.Seven

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM