Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Macan GTS: A Little More Power, A Little More Style

Thanks Kresokiss. I searched always for informations about this engine, just out of technical curiousity, but I think they never published anything about the technology they've put into this engine. These engines seem to be quite robust, judging after the hp/l. I expect that from an engine from Porsche.  So the 3.6 V6 should handle around 500ps/650Nm.

cheers.

Actually,  my P source claims that 3.0 has better potential then 3.6 engine. 

3.6 ends at around 500ps/620Nm and 3.0 at 490ps/580Nm. 

Interesting, so the 500cc per cylinder seem to be thermodynamically more efficient. So the Cayenne GTS is pretty close with its 600 Nm. Thanks for your infos, I always appreciate them.

Congrats Dario ! well done kiss

I don´t know why but Macan does zero for me, any version or model. I test drove a Turbo and left totally unimpressed. This model just increased the vulgarity Porsche become over the last years. Porsche cars are much better nowadays, but the brand lost soul and glamour choosing the mass production root. Cash and sales numbers speaks much louder than passion and exclusivity.

--

J.Seven

KresoF1:

That are surprisingly high power firgures, especially for the 3.0 engine. Then the 3.6 engine was not really neccessary for the Turbo. They could get the 400hp easily out of the 3.0 engine.

What's about the new 3.0 B6 Turbo engine in the 991.2?

acky:
    KresoF1:

That are surprisingly high power firgures, especially for the 3.0 engine. Then the 3.6 engine was not really neccessary for the Turbo. They could get the 400hp easily out of the 3.0 engine.

Power kit or WLS will offer 450ps/550Nm. So, since Porsche is always very conservative regarding power of its turbo engines they could with little bit different turbos get even little bit more power. Safety limit is set around 510ps/600Nm. But, IMHO 450ps/550Nm is actually a "golden" numbers for 991.2 C4S with SPASM/PDCC, RWS and Sport Chrono. Fast as hell, very fast on the track, usable all year. Should I continue?

Yes, new 991.2 Turbo will be with 540ps even faster but, also more expensive and not so "incognito" in appearance.

RS 991:

I really like this package. Congratulations Super Darius and Lucas, great choice.kiss

Well RC, the Panamera has the same engine with even 420 PS, is that too much in your opinion? 

Cheers.

It isn't exactly the same engine, there are some differences in details but the Panamera doesn't need more than the 420 hp because it is the last facelift of the current generation.

If the 3.0 l Macan engine version would have been that OK for 450 hp, Porsche would have used it for the Macan Turbo as well. Smiley The Panamera 3.0 l with 420 hp has been, according to rumors, some sort of "provisory" solution nobody really felt happy with. The next generation Panamera S will very likely get a newly developed small V8. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

KresoF1:
    acky:
    KresoF1:

Power kit or WLS will offer 450ps/550Nm. So, since Porsche is always very conservative regarding power of its turbo engines they could with little bit different turbos get even little bit more power. Safety limit is set around 510ps/600Nm. But, IMHO 450ps/550Nm is actually a "golden" numbers for 991.2 C4S with SPASM/PDCC, RWS and Sport Chrono. Fast as hell, very fast on the track, usable all year. Should I continue?

Yes, new 991.2 Turbo will be with 540ps even faster but, also more expensive and not so "incognito" in appearance.

Do not compare the new 911 turbo 3.0 l engines with the lame Smiley Macan 3.0 l engine.

As to the 991.2 Turbo: If people can wait...the next generation (2018?) gets a completely new engine. Smiley The next gen 911 Turbo will also differentiate itself much more from the Carrera models and the interior (this may be valid for the next 911 generation as well) will get a complete overhaul, raising the quality impression of the interior to a next level (honestly).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Super Darius:
    Ziggy:
    Super Darius:

I'm in for this Macan.blush

Delivery  in March.wink

Smiley Outstanding combo with the GT3RS.  Which color are your going for?  The red so that with the LO your garage doubles as a sun-tan studio? Smiley Smiley

Hahahhah

no,i don't know yet,my wife whant white...i prefer something more soft,like a dark grey.

Saturday i will let you knowSmiley

After I posted yesterday, I remembered Carlos' comments about his Carmine Red 991 GTS attracting too much attention, and for a daily driver (especially a SUV), I would rather want a discrete color.  But then I watched the videos released by Porsche and realized the Carmine Red looks gorgeous even on the Macan, and it is the color that defines the GTS moniker, besides it has the GTS interior package to match.  Decisions, decisions... Smiley

In my area drives a Cayenne GTS in Carmine Red and it looks stunning. Sporty and classy at the same time. Would be my first choice for a Cayenne/Macan.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

In Germany, I would choose the grey met. I had for my Cayenne GTS. Perfect combo for a SUV. Red is a bit too much for such a big car, especially for a SUV and especially in Germany (Germans have a hate-love relationship to SUVs).

--

RC:

In Germany, I would choose the grey met. I had for my Cayenne GTS. Perfect combo for a SUV. Red is a bit too much for such a big car, especially for a SUV and especially in Germany (Germans have a hate-love relationship to SUVs).

Red is too much for any large vehicle, except perhaps a pickup truck.

still no PDCC -too bad

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

CPA4S:

still no PDCC -too bad

No PDCC, no powerkit (Turbo)...oh well. Smiley

--

RC:
    RS 991:

I really like this package. Congratulations Super Darius and Lucas, great choice.kiss

Well RC, the Panamera has the same engine with even 420 PS, is that too much in your opinion? 

Cheers.

It isn't exactly the same engine, there are some differences in details but the Panamera doesn't need more than the 420 hp because it is the last facelift of the current generation.

If the 3.0 l Macan engine version would have been that OK for 450 hp, Porsche would have used it for the Macan Turbo as well. Smiley The Panamera 3.0 l with 420 hp has been, according to rumors, some sort of "provisory" solution nobody really felt happy with. The next generation Panamera S will very likely get a newly developed small V8. Smiley

--

True, you're right, the application is for sure quite different. Well even the V10'of the R8 and Hurracan are different, although they have the same power output. Back to the V8 in the Panamera S sounds really great, so the differentiation between "S" and "Turbo" will be probably reduced to the turbochargers application, right?

RC:
    KresoF1:
    acky:
    KresoF1:

Do not compare the new 911 turbo 3.0 l engines with the lame Smiley Macan 3.0 l engine.

As to the 991.2 Turbo: If people can wait...the next generation (2018?) gets a completely new engine. Smiley The next gen 911 Turbo will also differentiate itself much more from the Carrera models and the interior (this may be valid for the next 911 generation as well) will get a complete overhaul, raising the quality impression of the interior to a next level (honestly).

--

That would be a logical step to keep up  and hopefully to overtake the competition in many areas. It sounds at least very promising.

I'm now thinking about this as well. Small sports sedans are great but now with my son learning the cello it's getting harder and harder to live without a SUV. Carmine Red or conservative white, grey or black, that is a big question!

I have a Lava Orange RS,so i choose Volcan Grey Macan indecision

but i'm again on the Diesel...i think GTS is too much for my wife,she doesn't need so much power.

I took another week to think about,and then i will decide.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

What metals does Porsche use in the macan?  yesA 2016 amg gla 45 with 375hp weighs almost 1000lbs less than a macan turbo. 

GLA is from a class below. It's an A class on stilts....

The Macan is much lighter than Cayenne and even the Panamera...

Super Darius:

I'm in for this Macan.blush

Delivery  in March.wink

SmileyCongratulations!  I think you'll like it.

Locked in my spec and looking forward to take delivery in March next year wink. The GTS-package is perfect for me. Don't need the power of the turbo and prefer the looks and the GTS-"brand" which gives it a sporty touch. Will be a nice DD

This is the spec I've settled for:
    2H - Volcano Grey Metallic
    VK - Full leather in Black
    8EX - LED main headlights
    4F2 - Porsche Entry & Drive
    8A4 - ParkAssist Front/Back with Surround View
    3FU - Panoramic Roof
    VW5 - Heat/Sound insulated windows with Tinted side and back windows
    1D3 - Towing hook Electrical
    3S5 - Roofbar in black High-gloss
    6H1 - Sideblade in exterior color
    6FB - Sport Design Mirrors
    1N3 - Power Steering Plus
    1BK - Air Suspension
    1Y1 - Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV)
    QR5 - Sport Chrono Package
    0M2 - 75l fuel tank
    V96 - 21" Sport Classic Wheel in Satin platinum
    8T3 - Adaptive Cruise with PAS
    7Y7 - Lane Change Assist
    9Q6 - Speed Limit info
    PA2 - Automatically dimming interior/exterior mirrors
    PP8 - Light comfort package
    VC1 - Homelink
    PE5 - 14-way seats
    4A4 - Seat heating back/front
    4D3 - Seat ventilation front
    2ZH - Heated steering wheel
    9M9 - Auxillary heating
    0TD - Floor mats
    4X4 - Side airbags back
    QE1 - Storage package
    ALL - Steering column in leather
    AVW - Interior mirror in leather
    6NN - Roof and sunshades in Alcantara
    5TH - Interior package in Black brushed aluminium
    7UG - PCM with Navigation Module
    9VL - BOSE Surround Sound System
    IV2 - Connect Plus

My my - that's a big spec car. Congrats!

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Congratulations - great spec - it will be the best looking SUV on the road  SmileySmiley

First review out and it looks very positive [no surprise] - four-and-a-half stars ain't bad. Ain't bad at all.

rulesdontapply

2015 Porsche Macan GTS review

Some serious option box ticking and bespoke engine and chassis adjustment result in a GTS badge being applied to Porsche’s compact SUV

What is it?: 

When Porsche starts wielding its ‘Gran Turismo Sport’ badge, as it does so here for the 10th time, it's usually a good thing. Indeed, its Boxster, Cayman, 911 and even Panamera and Cayenne sporting such a badge haven’t necessarily been the ultimate models, or even our favourites, but they have benefited from the enhancements in almost every case.

And so it’s the turn of the Macan - a compact SUV that even in diesel form has the handling to keep keen drivers happy. The GTS, though, takes the standard petrol S’s bi-turbo 3.0 V6 and boosts power by 20bhp, to 355bhp. That helps it slot neatly between its lesser petrol stablemate and the range-topping Turbo. 

With its more efficient air induction, reduced exhaust back pressure and boost pressure increased to 1.2 bar, there’s greater twist at the crank too - 30lb ft more to be precise, bringing a new total of 369lb ft. Performance? This near-1.9-tonne SUV has its 0-62mph sprint over and done with in 5.2 seconds. 

In order to exploit the extra poke, Porsche has fitted its PASM adjustable chassis as standard, but also included is a unique-to-the-GTS chassis that sits 15mm lower for an even more focused set-up than the standard car's. Alternatively, with optional air suspension selected, the default drop is 10mm, although you ultimately get greater control over ride height. 

Rounding off the GTS’s CV are more powerful brakes borrowed from the Macan Turbo, a standard sports exhaust, optional LED headlights for the first time and Porsche’s latest PCM infotainment system, as recently launched on its refreshed 911. 

What's it like?: 

A thoroughly engaging sporting SUV that constantly impresses and surprises.

Standing outside as it's fired up, the GTS's V6 barks to life from its four black-tipped exhausts and settles to a coarse but purposeful idle. Inside, the noise isn't quite as piercingly abrupt, but you're left in no doubt of this GTS's intent.

In its default mode, sharp applications of throttle see the gearbox hesitate for a moment while it hooks up, but the straight-line performance that follows is certainly the type of hold on tight propulsion you'd expect, if not quite the pin-you-to-your-chair forcefulness of the Macan Turbo.

Pressing Sport activates the Sports exhaust and takes the dampers to their first stage of stiffness, while the throttle and gearbox feel more urgent too. Sport Chrono-equipped cars (such as the example tested here) get a Sport Plus mode, which brings maximum chassis stiffness and forces the gearbox to deliver you lower ratios and higher revs. 

Sport is probably where you want to be 90% of the time. The gearbox suffers less hesitation at T-junctions and from rolling starts, and the steering is at its best - just a precise as in any mode, and as linearly oily as ever, but with just the right amount of weight to inspire confidence.

It only takes a couple of fast-paced corners to realise that for a near two-tonne SUV the GTS, like lesser Macans, is a properly sorted machine, but with the small enhancements that make it truly superb fun to pilot across meandering back roads.

There's barely any nose-dive as you take a huge chomp at the GTS's left pedal, and once the nose is settled, turn-in is crisp and precise, with the nose of the car - particularly on our 21in-wheeled example - millimetres behind every steering input.

Sitting as it does 15mm lower, there's very little body roll from the GTS as it's chucked through bends, either, and there's genuine enjoyment to be had from balancing the throttle mid corner, experimenting with the car's willing rear axle and firing yourself out the other side and on to the next challenge.  

Of course, when you're really in the mood, Sport Plus heightens things further, with razor-sharp gear changes at the paddles, even more exacting throttle inputs and more generous crackles on the overrun. For us, the only let-down is a tad too much steering weight.

Switch off all sports-orientated lights, kill the anti-social exhaust and allow the suspension to breathe, though, and the Macan can play the relaxing cruiser just as well. It rides brilliantly, soaking initial bumps well and keeping the body nicely tied down.

Once again, Sport mode is best at speed, maintaining better composure over undulations, but not suffering Sport Plus's firmer secondary characteristics. Unsurprisingly there's some tyre roar over coarse surfaces, but wind noise is never an issue at motorway speeds and the ferocious V6 is easily tamed. 

The GTS's cabin has no dimensions changes over the standard car, so a superb driving position helped by a brilliantly supportive sports seats, rising central tunnel and perfectly positioned gear lever, and there's good space for two adults. In the back, though, both legroom and headroom are behind the class best. The easily accessible, square-shaped boot is more useful companion.

Just like the range of the Macan range, fit and finish is superb, lifted further by liberal use of Alcantara on the GTs's steering wheel and doors. You'll find plenty of GTS badging dotted around inside, but unfortunately, plenty of buttons too - you often find yourself pausing, finger poised, as you search out the one you want, even after a day at the wheel. 

Porsche is now fitting its brand new PCM infotainment system to every Macan. The system is a marked improvement on the set-up it replaces; it has a sharper, more responsive screen, its menus are just as clear and there's better integration for smartphones, such as Apple's CarPlay. It simply looks better-integrated on the dash, too, but it seems stingy that the (admittedly excellent) sat-nav is £1052 extra. 

Should I buy one?: 

Performance SUVs are becoming more and more common, but what the GTS offers is actually more unique than you might think. Its closest rivals are diesel - cars such as Audi's SQ5, BMW's X4 35d and Alpina's XD3, all of which offer similar performance, a premium badge and a butch SUV stance.

While the SQ5 and X4 are significantly cheaper to buy, though, and similarly potent, they fail to offer the fluidity of the GTS's handling, as well as its outright aural aggressiveness. The Alpina poses the biggest threat, coming closest on price and outdoing the Macan in a sprint by a bigger margin.

Even so, and despite it missing out on some equipment, the GTS's even greater ride and handling balance would have us signing on its dotted line. Sure, there's an argument that a standard S with a sports exhaust would save you money and still be a lot of fun, but if you can stretch to it, the GTS is worth the extra. Compact SUVs are rarely this good. 

Porsche Macan GTS

Location Tenerife; On sale Now; Price £55,188; Engine V6, 2997cc, turbocharged, petrol; Power 355bhp; Torque 369lb ft at 1650-4000rpm; Kerb weight 1895kg; Gearbox 7-spd dual-clutch automatic; 0-62mph 5.2sec; Top speed 159mph; Economy 31.4mpg (combined); CO2/tax band 212g/km, 37%

Source:  http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/macan/first-drives/2015-porsche-macan-gts-review

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

The stand-out good news to me is the positive comments on the exhaust, it bodes wells for the 991.2 engines, at least the future GTS versions!

Ziggy:

The stand-out good news to me is the positive comments on the exhaust, it bodes wells for the 991.2 engines, at least the future GTS versions!

Have you heard the Macan Turbo with sport exhaust? Not much different for the GTS, with the exception of the interior where it sounds much better. It sounds like a turbo, like it or not.

--

Anyone have some news on when we can expect a Macan Turbo S? Seems to me that would be a cracker package with 450 bhp.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759752 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433831 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259761 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256919 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80610 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870750 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805797 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM