Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 911 R Thread Closed

Best looking 911 ever, now drop the 991.2 design updates and it will look even better.

--

J.Seven

Not manual? No rear seats? What's the point of this car again?

it will be manual only, do not know about rear seats. 

I want a panoramic roof, if they're planning to charge more than std GT3 broken heart

I don't get all this fuzz about this 911 R - apart from being limited, just to fit in wherever between a 991 S (450 hp pk) and a GT3 (475hp) ?...unless, Porsche really wants to replace the "winged" GT3 with a wingless "R" - I may be joking, but assuming we will see the "R" sometime in the near future, how long will it take for someone to ask for the availability of an aerokit ?

Ziggy:
    Whoopsy:

It is coming in February, it will have the 3.8 GT3 engine. 918 owners world wide gets first dibs, not just in the USA.

Are you interested in getting one?

Well I have one on order, just because I can, but I am not sure if I will take delivery or not.

To me this car is pointless apart from the limited production aspect. To the manual purists well it make sense to have something for them, but the RS is just so good that it's hard for me to go back down the ladder to drive the R. 

I mean I used to be a awd leaning person, I used to loved awd system just for the safety and control aspect, but now that I have some good seat time in the RS on the track, I changed my view. The current gen 991 is a pussy cat even when it over steers, very very controllable and no surprises. 

The factory car car drivers all got used to the paddle shifts now, and they don't miss the stick shift at all, so if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me too. PDK in manual mode means the driver controls the shift points, and we used that a lot on the wet track in the 918, short shifting at 5000rpm and going around corners 1 gear higher for control. No one misses the 3rd pedal. 

--

Whoopsy:
    No one misses the 3rd pedal. 

Not everyone misses the third pedal, but many do (including Porsche employees like Walter R. and others - not all of them are as secure in their job to freely mention it in public).  The huge response to the GT4 was just a taste of what the demand is.  When the 911 offers something for these people, you will see the response (and you'll likely make out very well by selling your R allocation).

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Not everyone misses the third pedal, but many do (including Porsche employees like Walter R. and others - not all of them are as secure in their job to freely mention it in public).  The huge response to the GT4 was just a taste of what the demand is.  When the 911 offers something for these people, you will see the response (and you'll likely make out very well by selling your R allocation).

I like my third pedal. A lot. I have a feeling I am not the only one. Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Also depends on age. These factory racers are all young, 20 something, of the digital age as the saying goes, plus they all came up through karting and in that there is only 2 pedals.

--

It is going to be harder to have a successful manual 911 then what happened with the GT4 . The later became the fastest, best Cayman ever built . In the 911 it will not be the case .  ( unless we have a huge surprise and the car weights max 1350 kg )

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

It is going to be harder to have a successful manual 911 then what happened with the GT4 . The later became the fastest, best Cayman ever built . In the 911 it will not be the case .  ( unless we have a huge surprise and the car weights max 1350 kg )

That is a good point, Eric.  Porsche usually charges for performance (more expensive models are faster, in a pretty predictable mostly linear relationship).  So this could be the most expensive 991 without being the fastest (if crazy price rumors are true).  My hope is that the price to performance relationship is not out of line and that the fun-to-drive aspect is really high.

--

This article seems to indicate that in addition to the Manual-only 911R, the next GT3 will be available with manual also.  Anyone able to confirm or dispel this?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a27209/report-porsche-might-offer-a-manual-in-the-next-generation-911-gt3/

--

Porsche 911 R (2016): first photos of the back-to-basics 911...

(29 October 2015)

► First pictures of Porsche 911 R
    ► A lighter, back-to-basics model 
    ► Like a GT3, but manual ’box, no wing

"Here’s manna from heaven for purist Porsche 911 fans in a funk over the move towards forced induction and twin-clutch autos across much of the newly facelifted 991 range. These are thought to be the first spy photos of the long whispered-about Porsche 911 R, a lighter, less complicated, ‘back-to-basics’ kind of 991. And the rumoured spec suggests a really quite intriguing proposition for keen drivers.

Porsche 911R: the rumours

• It’ll get the same 3.8 nat-asp engine as the 991 GT3: this is a Very Good Thing: revving to 9000rpm, the GT3’s flat-six is one of the most charismatic engines around. In the GT3 it develops 469bhp; the R's tipped to sit at around 450bhp.
    • It’ll be manual-only: the hardcore 991 GT3 is currently PDK paddleshift-only, and isn’t available with three pedals and a lever. The R’s set to be the opposite. That means it’ll feature the one-gate-too-many seven-speeder from elsewhere in the 991 range, but nonetheless, exciting news for DIY gear change fans.
    • It’ll be even lighter than the GT3: this is a more focussed model in every way; expect a frippery-free interior with lightweight race-style seats
    • It’ll use narrower tyres: the centre-lock wheels on the car pictured are pure GT3, but are likely to wear narrower tyres, for a more involving, less grip-at-all-costs driving experience

Where’s the rear wing?

Here’s the main outward difference between R and GT3 – that skyscraping rear spoiler’s gone, replaced by a lift-up surface that remains flush with the car’s tail at low speeds. The pictures show a more built-up diffuser surface underneath the car’s rear, making up for some of the downforce lost by deleting the wing.

Whether the 911R will remain a totally wing-free wolf in sheep’s clothing when it reaches the market remains to be seen, however. Aclassic 2.7 RS-style fixed ducktail setup hasn’t been ruled out.

911 R… Where have I heard that name before?

The original 911 R was a tuned, lightened machine created in 1967 as part of a racing homologation programme. Only 22 were made (or 23, depending on who you ask, and how many of the run you count as prototypes). This new modern-era take on the same theme marks 50 years (ish) since the original.

The new Porsche 911R is tipped to make its official debut at the 2016 Geneva motor show in March. It’s more likely to be a limited-run model than a regular in the range, but here’s hoping Porsche decides to build more than 23."

Porsche 911 R (2016): first photos of the back-to-basics 911 -- Car magazine link

Smiley SmileySmiley

RC:
    derder:

anyone knows if it's a six speed or 7 speed manual?

Manual? Smiley

u must know something we don't Smiley

it can't seriously be PDK?! what's the appeal over a GT3? 

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

I'll buy a GT3, construct a BBQ from the rear wing and sell it for +150k as a PDK 911 R special edition broken heart

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

only 3 cars for austria. no dealer will get the car. 2 are reserved for the Porsche Family in Austria and one goes to a very good customer from the importer. The guys on the waiting list and also the few 918 customers in Austria will not get the car. 

i have a very hard time understanding the craze about that car, other than from a potential investor's point of view.

peter

very simple : to drive a car not everybody has and is yet fully original stock. wink

BjoernB:

very simple : to drive a car not everybody has and is yet fully original stock. wink

...that makes considerable profit for Porsche.   One can imagine, in the wake of serious problems in the VW empire, that the "obscenely profitable special editions" - sorry I mean "Future Classics and Collectibles Smiley" - division of Porsche is being staffed up.   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

m4ever:

it will be manual only, do not know about rear seats. 

Are you sure? I heard a different story and actually saw PDK and rear seats. Unless the price tag will be so high, justifying the manual and the rear seat delete. Now the once rumored "close to 250k, maybe even 300k" comes to my mind for a car which may be a collectible but not really faster than the GT3/RS, despite the many light weight parts used. Basically a gift for collectors, which would be sad in my opinion. I just hope they stick to the "other" rumor. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

--

Fun fact: Drove twice with Walter Röhrl at the steering wheel in a PDK equipped 997 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 and both times, he didn't shift manually and let PDK do the job. Same goes to Lars Kern who piloted a 991 Turbo S with me in the passenger seat. I know that manual lovers like to hear something different but...

You should try a GT500 with 1079 Nm torque with manual, you'll be longing for PDK instead. LOL

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

derder:
    RC:
    derder:

anyone knows if it's a six speed or 7 speed manual?

Manual? Smiley

u must know something we don't Smiley

it can't seriously be PDK?! what's the appeal over a GT3? 

+1 Smiley

If it is re-badged wing-deleted GT3, why bother? 

--

RC:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Fun fact: Drove twice with Walter Röhrl at the steering wheel in a PDK equipped 997 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 and both times, he didn't shift manually and let PDK do the job. Same goes to Lars Kern who piloted a 991 Turbo S with me in the passenger seat. I know that manual lovers like to hear something different but...

You should try a GT500 with 1079 Nm torque with manual, you'll be longing for PDK instead. LOL

Which cars do Walter drive privately? I bet very few PDK cars Smiley

Grant has got a point with the response for the GT4. If no one care about manual then the car would not have been sold out almost instantaneously.

I have both a PDK and manual car (plus I owned several 997 manual cars). To me the GT4 manual is the most fun, then PDK, then all other manuals I ever had. However, overall PDK wins, from usability, versatility and efficiency.

--

To my knowledge, WR's daily driver is a 991 C4S with powerkit...and PDK. This may have changed now with the new 991.2 but I doubt it.

The GT4 would have sold out much faster with PDK. You and I know very well why there is no PDK, it would have gotten way too close to GT3 performance.

--

RC:

To my knowledge, WR's daily driver is a 991 C4S with powerkit...and PDK. This may have changed now with the new 991.2 but I doubt it.

The GT4 would have sold out much faster with PDK. You and I know very well why there is no PDK, it would have gotten way too close to GT3 performance.

It is already faster Smiley

Exactly, his daily driver is a PDK. That says it all Smiley

--

RC:

Fun fact: Drove twice with Walter Röhrl at the steering wheel in a PDK equipped 997 Turbo S and a 991 GT3 and both times, he didn't shift manually and let PDK do the job.

Right, any manual gearbox aficionado knows that pulling on an electric switch is not a substitute for a proper manual gearbox, so why bother Smiley ?  I've heard that Walter prefers 3-pedal manuals (and that he likes his old Porsches more than the current ones - but he really likes the GT4 very much).

--

RC:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

--

My father has been a "works" driver for the Porsche World Roadshow on numerous occasions and originally driving with the Triptronic in Drive and then the PDK in Drive was mandated by Porsche when people were in the car with him. It was a way to show customers "see it's not a real gearbox (during the Triptronic days) but it's still a Porsche." Looks like the marketing worked!

He did say on numerous occasions how surprised he was that just leaving the gearbox in Drive worked so well but I don't think he would ever have done it intentionally other than maybe around town while on the phone or something. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I would think the same. They drive these cars for marketing purposes not because it is their option. Potentially, their personal preference could be a Ferrari or a McLaren...

RC:

Bingo

Everyone who really wanted a GT4 got one, with PDK they cud have sold twice as many... The low price for the performance is what sold the GT4, the manual transmission was probably responsible for many potential lost sales...

Does Ferrari or McLaren offer a third pedal? 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688126 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408523 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255466 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234688 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65316 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857424 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM