Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:
    Mithras:

Get your wife to overnight fed-ex it!

I did the second best thing. They gave me the final information 1 day too late, I left home already when I learnt that helmets are mandatory and it's bring your own helmets or rent at the track. So I called up Stand21 and had them FedEx me a Porsche Motorsports helmet to me :)

Very nice! I love my Stand21 suit and gloves and have always admired the helmets. My helmet is only SA2005 and is about to be too old. It was a great helmet (Carbon HJC HX-10II) but I think I'm going to get a Stilo ST5 GT next once the SA2015 standards work their way through. (though not the 8860 version that I believe Futch uses). 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

'rent' one from Porsche at a cost of 15k Euro. That's actually quite a bit cheaper than me flying my car on a round trip. 

​bargain!

sfo:
    Whoopsy:

'rent' one from Porsche at a cost of 15k Euro. That's actually quite a bit cheaper than me flying my car on a round trip. 

​bargain!

you guys are much richer than I thought.Smiley

Nick - when we go out to coffee when you return to Vancouver, you are paying.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4;  2015 Macan S

Flying a charter to France from Vancouver? Considering all the expenses, this two day event must be costing over $50,000. 

Can I shine your shoes? Your tip would pay for may gas for a year.indecision

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

reginos:

Whoopsy, do you have sign an acceptance of liability in case of damage to the "rent" car?

Well the deductible is 50k Euro...............

--

Targa Tim:
    sfo:
    Whoopsy:

​bargain!

Nick - when we go out to coffee when you return to Vancouver, you are paying.Smiley

Sure, I will just make an extra cup from my Keurig pods. I promise I will use a fresh one too. Smiley

--

nberry:

Flying a charter to France from Vancouver? Considering all the expenses, this two day event must be costing over $50,000. 

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

The charter actually flies between Le Castellet and London. I left Vancouver already and currently in Hong Kong, next weekend I need to fly to London and then a side trip to France then back to London and then back to Vancouver. 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

The charter actually flies between Le Castellet and London. I left Vancouver already and currently in Hong Kong, next weekend I need to fly to London and then a side trip to France then back to London and then back to Vancouver. 

Now it sounds far more economical to Nick... the SD Nick... Smiley

Have lots of fun on that event, curious what you will report. Renting the car also provides the benefit of not worrying about wear and tear on your personal car. Expecting lots of pictures!

I will try to take as many pictures as I can, but I ma doing that, I can't drive at the same time :)

I bought along 3 GoPros, just in case 1 or 2 failed. But it will only be in car coverage, (so no flame thrower shots). track safety regulations forbid externally mounted cameras. 

--

Just point one out the back window. That might cut down on visibility a bit, but you'll be fine with the side mirrors.

Whoopsy:

I will try to take as many pictures as I can, but I ma doing that, I can't drive at the same time :)

I bought along 3 GoPros, just in case 1 or 2 failed. But it will only be in car coverage, (so no flame thrower shots). track safety regulations forbid externally mounted cameras. 

That´s alright... Smiley

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

Whoopsy, do you have sign an acceptance of liability in case of damage to the "rent" car?

....so someone could take risks.

--

"Form follows function"

Congrats Whoopsy! That sounds like a really great experience.

Mainly, due to the fact that it will be a great opportunity to explore all the 918 techniques and hybrid mode on the race track, sitting next to a pro factory driver.

Btw, did you hear something new, regarding the latest update? I heard that it wasn’t exactly power one, but mainly aero…

Targa Tim:
    sfo:
    Whoopsy:

​bargain!

Only coffee? I would be asking him to buy me a cocktail at least!!! Lol. 

On a serious note, that is a lot of money to spend on the one event but what price do you put on an experience like that? If I could afford it I would definitely be doing it. Enjoy yourself Nick. 

Since I know how many $$$ some guys gave just to get photo with some celebrities, Nick`s investment in so awesome experience seems incredibly reasonable (from price point of view).

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

Smiley This reminds me of the time when I had the chance to drive one and what I had to sign... Smiley Needless to say that I drove it super slow (and with a "nanny" in the passenger seat).

Have fun, Nick. Smiley It seems to warm up a little bit next week in Le Castellet. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Whoopsy:

The day you start thinking the same way about cars, we will be seeing three 918 at your garage Smiley

--

J.Seven

Boyko23:

Congrats Whoopsy! That sounds like a really great experience.

Mainly, due to the fact that it will be a great opportunity to explore all the 918 techniques and hybrid mode on the race track, sitting next to a pro factory driver.

Btw, did you hear something new, regarding the latest update? I heard that it wasn’t exactly power one, but mainly aero…

Don't trust 'city' too much. My connections are better :)

--

J.Seven:
    Whoopsy:

The day you start thinking the same way about cars, we will be seeing three 918 at your garage Smiley

--

J.Seven

I did regret not buying a second car Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

If you're remotely serious, there's one here still in the dealer showroom.... as long as you like Gulf factory colour scheme.  They say the Ford GTs in that scheme sell for a premium..... Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    Whoopsy:

If you're remotely serious, there's one here still in the dealer showroom.... as long as you like Gulf factory colour scheme.  They say the Ford GTs in that scheme sell for a premium..... Smiley

I know about that car, and there are 4 more currently on the market in Canada. But I don't want one at market price :)

--

Paul Bailey's trio of cars was suppose to do a drag race today, i.e. Friday European time. For obvious reasons his 918 can't participate. A replacement 918 was filled in but this car has the newest update.

Another little birdie told me the 918 cleaned the house out. Detailed will have to wait until they upload the video. 

--

Whoopsy:

Paul Bailey's trio of cars was suppose to do a drag race today, i.e. Friday European time. For obvious reasons his 918 can't participate. A replacement 918 was filled in but this car has the newest update.

Another little birdie told me the 918 cleaned the house out. Detailed will have to wait until they upload the video. 

That is a surprising result ! The 918 being the fastest in circuit would be normal, now being the fastest  in  a drag race is

Smiley 

--

J.Seven

Whoopsy:

Quite possible - 4wd and more power from the electrical motors.

The 918 is always the fastest. Also when it is the slowest indecision In this sense it is a bit like the GT4. Best. smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

J.Seven:

That is a surprising result ! The 918 being the fastest in circuit would be normal, now being the fastest  in  a drag race is

Smiley 

Drag race is a time to distance measure, not a time to speed.

It might post the slower ultimate top speed but if it can gets to the speed quicker than the others, then it means it will cover grounds quicker than others. 918 pulls out a distance lead from rest and it means the other cars are playing catch up the whole way.

--

Whoopsy:

That will be good to see.

Does this 918 have a speed limit from older programming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLqa4vlmFI

Whoopsy:
    J.Seven:

Smiley 

Drag race is a time to distance measure, not a time to speed.

It might post the slower ultimate top speed but if it can gets to the speed quicker than the others, then it means it will cover grounds quicker than others. 918 pulls out a distance lead from rest and it means the other cars are playing catch up the whole way.

4WD magic

--

J.Seven

bluelines:

The 918 is always the fastest. Also when it is the slowest indecision In this sense it is a bit like the GT4. Best. smiley

Smiley Alternatively, when it is the slowest, I really do not care, I am actually happy for the other folks and I am too busy enjoying my other car anyway, so let us move on, but when It is the fastest, let us elaborate and keep posting a bit about that. Smiley

My fingers are so crossed up for good weather at Paul Ricard of the event!

I keep refreshing the weather forecast like 3 times a day. This is the current prediction

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 2.49.54 PM.png

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764120 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436388 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260985 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257913 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808785 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM