Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Sorry, but it looks like a 7" 25$ Chinese tablet with a folding mechanism and freeware OBD Torque app from Google play store...

What if it gets stuck while folding ?

Useless feature IMO

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

Pretty awesome looking. Glad they didn't go with the glass engine bay and instead give extra storage space like the 570GT.

The extra storage space is really big, but have hard time access for it. 

the double screen is really cool, picture can not justify the quality and the look.  

C pillar is all glass

the air channel through the body and the back is soo much better in looking

front break size is a lot smaller to save the weight, but same stopping power as increase in break surface. 

The IRIS is completely new, and design is a lot prettier.  

door now has storage

drift angle can be manually adjusted on the IRIS screen, and each wheel added a lot more accelerator to monitor the angle within safe zone. 

The whole interior feels a lot bigger than 650S due to glass everywhere

the sound is absolutey EPIC!!!  the guy was playing with the throttle and the sound is a complete different animal than the old 650S.

The only thing I think is stupid is the engine bay with a red light inside of it..... that's a bit funny from my point of view....

The whole appearance can not be judged from the photo, as it looks amazing in real life.   

I really look forward to seeing this on the 9th - looks amazing. I'm skeptical of the pivoting dash though - seems like a bit of a gimmick. After all, with an LCD you can already reformat the content in a track mode. I'd have thought something more innovative and in line with McLaren thinking would have been to advance HUD technology - come up with a really great implementation allowing you to keep your eyes on the road too,

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

surely more desirable for ME than a ferrari or Lambo.....kiss

DaveGordon:

I really look forward to seeing this on the 9th - looks amazing. I'm skeptical of the pivoting dash though - seems like a bit of a gimmick. After all, with an LCD you can already reformat the content in a track mode. I'd have thought something more innovative and in line with McLaren thinking would have been to advance HUD technology - come up with a really great implementation allowing you to keep your eyes on the road too,

We'll see, but from the image posted, it looked like the "down" position could offer a less impeded view of the road ahead, plus 100% visibility through the steering wheel.  Many instrument panels are not fully visible, especially for taller folks. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Stunning advances and nice that they keep pushing the enveloppe forward like Lamborghini is. And no hybrid...

SciFrog:

Stunning advances and nice that they keep pushing the enveloppe forward like Lamborghini is. And no hybrid...

Half of the rumored upcoming new 15 models/variants over the next five years will be...hybrids. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Let's see if they sell as well as they think. So far high end hybrid vehicules in the US have proven not very popular.

SciFrog:

Let's see if they sell as well as they think. So far high end hybrid vehicules in the US have proven not very popular.

If they use the hybrid to enhance power and not only to reduce fleet consumption/CO2 output, it could work out for them. I am just curious about how they are going to keep the weight down. Luckily, their cars are already the lightest in the market segment, so it is going to be easier for them (I think).

McLaren has no choice, other manufacturers like Ferrari and Lamborghini will follow...

EU and probably (Trump may change that, don't have a clue) even US emissions regulations will make it pretty hard for sportscar manufacturers to increase performance but keep their cars street legal as well. Won't be easy at all.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Hybrid will add significant weight and will raise the price significantly on top of already borderline acceptable prices. Resale value will be the same as now, which will mean a much higher cost to own something that will be obsolete even faster than before since EV and hybrid tech marches on.

SciFrog:

Hybrid will add significant weight and will raise the price significantly on top of already borderline acceptable prices. Resale value will be the same as now, which will mean a much higher cost to own something that will be obsolete even faster than before since EV and hybrid tech marches on.

I completely agree with you but how to meet emissions laws otherwise? ELVs? Smiley

Look at the 991 Turbo S for example: Due to these laws, it was impossible to create a proper exhaust sound without compromising emissions. I am pretty sure that other manufacturers have similar issues, otherwise there wouldn't have been updates to the engine software to reduce sound (VW Golf R or BMW M3/M4, even AMG GT S and there is even a rumor about the R8 which hasn't been confirmed yet).

There are environmental groups in Europe who are looking for loud cars to make lawmakers make them quieter. No kidding.

Won't even start with CO2 emissions.

There are people who want to forbid gasoline operated cars entirely, the movement just started and as soon as the car industry thinks it is time to support these demands, it will get very bad for us sports car lovers. 

You can easily make a fantastic ELV sedan or SUV with stellar performance but try to do that with a sportscar weighting 2 tons. Smiley

One thing is positive though: They cannot really forbid gasoline operated cars, especially older ones. Also, once ELVs have a breakthrough, law makers won't really care about the old gasoline operated cars anymore. I hope.

--

RC:
    Look at the 991 Turbo S for example: Due to these laws, it was impossible to create a proper exhaust sound without compromising emissions.

Another reason might be that buyers of the turbo s like the reduced noise level of this car... Personally, I would not change much, kind of like how the car sounds. Only those "pops" in Sport mode are annoying (as they sound artificial).

MKSGR:
    RC:
    Look at the 991 Turbo S for example: Due to these laws, it was impossible to create a proper exhaust sound without compromising emissions.

Another reason might be that buyers of the turbo s like the reduced noise level of this car... Personally, I would not change much, kind of like how the car sounds. Only those "pops" in Sport mode are annoying (as they sound artificial).

This is why Porsche wanted to offer a sport exhaust (by Akrapovici) but it was impossible.

The problem isn't loudness, the problem is sound. Making an exhaust just louder won't cut it.

A bad exhaust can change the exhaust sound dramatically. I am very curious about the new McLaren 720 sound but I am still skeptical before I really hear a car and have my own opinion of that sound. So far, only the 675LT sound was kind of acceptable, the 650S sound is OK but the 570 doesn't really sound great. Again, loudness isn't everything. The sound is very generic. There are cars you can tell the model just by listening to the exhaust. Ferrari did a pretty good job for a Turbo I have to admit but it isn't perfect.

--

Well Trump is going to roll back the EPA recommendations and slash dramatically its budget angel Plus people are buying more SUV than ever and crossover sales are booming, sedans are like 30% of the market only now, meaning it was not possible to meet the restrictions eventually...

SciFrog:

Well Trump is going to roll back the EPA recommendations and slash dramatically its budget angel Plus people are buying more SUV than ever and crossover sales are booming, sedans are like 30% of the market only now, meaning it was not possible to meet the restrictions eventually...

Elon Musk is a part of Trump's advisory team and while he is probably more interested in this job because of his space stuff involvement and the need of the US government for that (NASA and all...), I think that he will also try to protect his business and visions of course. In the end, I think that ELVs will still be the future in the US, it is just a matter of time. 

The low end market may stick to gasoline cars though, true.

--

Elon's model 3 success will tell everything marketers will want to know.

Rolling back MPG requirements and the EPA will do nothing to stop automakers from going hybrid/EV. Why? Because they have very, very long term plans. In 4 years, a democrat could become President and take control of congress, thus reversing it all again. It's the same with energy companies. If you think coal is making a come back, you'll be sorely mistaken. The risk to pursue it would only be enormous from a technology standpoint, but also from a regulatory one.

Also, there is no indication that European and Japanese manufacturers will stop pushing forward with those products outside of the US. A company like Toyota or VW makes a lot of fucking money. They can afford to and will pursue very efficient vehicles. You can just sleep on future technology to make a few extra bucks now when a company 5x your size has no intention of slowing down.

Hybrid, and ultimately EVs, are coming and the technology and economics support them regardless of EPA and MPG regulations.

noone1:

Rolling back MPG requirements and the EPA will do nothing to stop automakers from going hybrid/EV. Why? Because they have very, very long term plans. In 4 years, a democrat could become President and take control of congress, thus reversing it all again. It's the same with energy companies. If you think coal is making a come back, you'll be sorely mistaken. The risk to pursue it would only be enormous from a technology standpoint, but also from a regulatory one.

Also, there is no indication that European and Japanese manufacturers will stop pushing forward with those products outside of the US. A company like Toyota or VW makes a lot of fucking money. They can afford to and will pursue very efficient vehicles. You can just sleep on future technology to make a few extra bucks now when a company 5x your size has no intention of slowing down.

Hybrid, and ultimately EVs, are coming and the technology and economics support them regardless of EPA and MPG regulations.

True, the US is an important car market but not the only one on this planet.

--

RC:
    but the 570 doesn't really sound great. Again, loudness isn't everything. The sound is very generic.

sport series exhaust is terrible .. sounds like vacuum cleaner, monotone drone that increases in frequency and volume, nothing else. 

terrible shame, as the rest of the car is beautifully judged for excitement, involvement and performance

sfo:
    RC:
    but the 570 doesn't really sound great. Again, loudness isn't everything. The sound is very generic.

sport series exhaust is terrible .. sounds like vacuum cleaner, monotone drone that increases in frequency and volume, nothing else. 

terrible shame, as the rest of the car is beautifully judged for excitement, involvement and performance

Indeed. The 570 is an excellent offer to enter the super sportscar world, for relatively small money.

--

Dunno what to guys are taking about. 570s exhaust sounds no worse than any other turbo. They're all so so. Better get used to it now because that's all you're going to have soon. NA is almost dead.

noone1:

Dunno what to guys are taking about. 570s exhaust sounds no worse than any other turbo. They're all so so. Better get used to it now because that's all you're going to have soon. NA is almost dead.

Speak for yourself. Smiley Smiley

The 675LT sounds better and the 488 actually sounds OK...for a turbo (not as generic as the McLarens).

--

570 s without sport exhaust sounds like shit - has nothing to do with the sound of 650 s with sport exhaust

--

AM

ALDO:

570 s without sport exhaust sounds like shit - has nothing to do with the sound of 650 s with sport exhaust

I am always talking about the versions with sport exhaust. Smiley

Actually I have to admit I never heard the 570 or 650 without sport exhaust. Smiley They cannot sound worse than the 991 Turbo S though. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
     Smiley They cannot sound worse than the 991 Turbo S though. Smiley Smiley

--

In the last couple of days I've been driving my 991.1 Turbo S cab with the top down which used to do the trick of making the car more fun sound wise. Unfortunately next to the 488 the magic is gone. It is day and night. Even brutal accelerations fail to produce any king of sound-driven emotion. The 488 also made the turbo lag of the 991.1 more apparent. After my experience with the 488 I am very positive about V8 turbo engines. Ferrari has proved that they can have great sound and almost no lag so I am sure that McLaren could produce similar results. Unfortunately Porsche is not offering any engine configuration that is exciting to me. Next to the 488 or the Huracan even the GT3 RS is not so impressive combination of sound and power.

Herbaliser:
    RC:
     Smiley They cannot sound worse than the 991 Turbo S though. Smiley Smiley

--

In the last couple of days I've been driving my 991.1 Turbo S cab with the top down which used to do the trick of making the car more fun sound wise. Unfortunately next to the 488 the magic is gone. It is day and night. Even brutal accelerations fail to produce any king of sound-driven emotion.

Don't you feel any other sensations - other than sound? The 488 is a great car. However, the total package of 991.2 turbo s Cabriolet (I can only judge the .2 version) and 488GTS is on the same level. Both cars have different advantages/disadvantages though. Different characters.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409108 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65510 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857903 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773930 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM