Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: LaFerrari, P1 and 918 comparison finally happening [video]

Whoopsy:

Well, it just means Pauls' P1 is faster than Paul's 918 which is faster than Paul's LaFerrari.

I don't believe his 918 got the latest update yet when he took to the track, which might or might not change the results. 

Or... we could just accept the P1 was fastest there and then and be objective people! Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:
    Whoopsy:

Well, it just means Pauls' P1 is faster than Paul's 918 which is faster than Paul's LaFerrari.

I don't believe his 918 got the latest update yet when he took to the track, which might or might not change the results. 

Or... we could just accept the P1 was fastest there and then and be objective people! Smiley

Well we will know for sure when we get the Portugal results. Surely with all 3 being factory cars it would have all the right updates!

Porker:
    Whoopsy:

Nooo, how dare you! Coming here to the Internet being objective and reasonable. Have you not read the rules? Smiley 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

The other thing is that the Silverstone short circuit doesn't look very technical. Not having driven there at all, does anyone know how technical it is or is it as "mickey mouse" as it looks? It just looks like a place that favours horsepower. 

Porker:
    Whoopsy:

I am fine with the results either way. There is no ONE car that can be 1st in everything. All cars have compromises in the performance envelope. But some other internet habitants doesn't think like me though.

The other thing is that I kind of don't care what the 918 will do, my is parked for the longest time and I am way too much fun in my RS.

--

Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

I am fine with the results either way. There is no ONE car that can be 1st in everything. All cars have compromises in the performance envelope. But some other internet habitants doesn't think like me though.

Well, except for the GT4 Smiley 

--

bluelines:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

Nooo, how dare you! Coming here to the Internet being objective and reasonable. Have you not read the rules? Smiley 

My bad! Burn that McLaren, it ran an extra petrol engine and had a shorter lap and still only managed to get ahead by two tenths, imagine if it had been a stock P1, the 918 would have MURDERED it! Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

And even then, just a specific one assembled by elves on night shift and anointed with   .............. you know the rest.  

--

fritz

Boyko23:

H8a0VBIx.png

These super small differences seem of no statistical relevance to me Smiley Pure coincidence.

After what happened last weekend I think that discussing this video is irrelevant. 

--

"Form follows function"

The video is onlinehttp://youtu.be/zUPfLHPUelE

The result on the second lap could be the other way around and on the third again different results, I really don´t think any conclusion should be taken without knowing if those were the results of several laps, or one lap only. 

Edit: Only saw the video after ! Seems they made 6 laps on each car which gives more credit to this result. I wasn´t expecting the P1 to be the fastest, actually I thought P1 would be the slower of the three.

--

J.Seven

Boyko23:

The video is online

Very wrong to keep it online out of respect for those injured in Malta. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Boyko23:

The video is online

Why would injured people be offended by this video? Thank God I wasn´t there, but if I was one of the injured people, I wouldn´t be offended at all, what one thing has to do with the other? The guy was there on a charity event trying to give his best to people, he had bad luck, but what counts was his genuine intention to help others.

--

J.Seven

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley

Smiley

J.Seven:
    reginos:
    Boyko23:

The video is online

Why would injured people be offended by this video? Thank God I wasn´t there, but if I was one of the injured people, I wouldn´t be offended at all, what one thing has to do with the other? The guy was there on a charity event trying to give his best to people, he had bad luck, but what counts was his genuine intention to help others.

All 918s should be banned from the roads until further notice out of respect

All 3 cars within 0.3 seconds of each other on a shortened Silverstone track, close enough that to most people it will be considered a tie, but to McLaren fans it's a big win. Let's not rain on their parade, they had suffered enough, let them enjoy the victory.

As for posting the video, I see no connection from it to the spectators injured at Malta, there is no disrespect, there is nothing to be offended by posting the trio's video. If anything, the clip that shows the car out of control and crashing into the barrier should be the one getting banned and shows no respect for the injured, they don't need to be constantly reminded on how they got injured. 

--

palenimbus:
    J.Seven:
    reginos:
    Boyko23:

The video is online

It would be more constructive if we banned automotive events with unsafe barriers 

--

reginos:
    Boyko23:

The video is online

Then all the 9/11 videos, rally crashes, Ayrton Senna's crash, etc. etc. etc. should be removed, too. Smiley

bluelines:
    palenimbus:
    J.Seven:
    reginos:
    Boyko23:

The video is online

It would be more constructive if we banned automotive events with unsafe barriers 

I think Palenimbus was leaning more towards irony than to being constructive. Smiley

--

fritz

P1 using the grippy semi-slick Trofeos R...

I appreciate all views on the matter of the Malta-Bailey-918 weekend. But we all have our own viewpoint.

The event was badly organised from the safety aspect, for sure.  However if I were Bailey I would have a guilty conscious and ask for the video to be removed. He should have noticed the safety deficits and either refuse to drive or drive in a restraint manner. Moreover, some of the people injured didn't just reveive scratches.

We cannot compare the Malta incident to professional motorsport accidents where spectators are safe and drivers have to  do their job. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I appreciate all views on the matter of the Malta-Bailey-918 weekend. But we all have our own viewpoint.

The event was badly organised from the safety aspect, for sure.  However if I were Bailey I would have a guilty conscious and ask for the video to be removed. He should have noticed the safety deficits and either refuse to drive or drive in a restraint manner. Moreover, some of the people injured didn't just reveive scratches.

We cannot compare the Malta incident to professional motorsport accidents where spectators are safe and drivers have to  do their job. 

You said it. Everything is about the Malta event, it has nothing to do with the Silverstone one. It was tragic at Malta that's for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the Silverstone is a completely separate event. You are mixing oil and water.

--

Everything is much simplier - p1 was running on trofeo r tyres

--

sportcars-history.com

Mat Jackson was a McLaren development driver for the whole period of P1's development!
    All this equals to 0,23s. :)
    British way to make independent tests... :)

for me it leaves a bitter taste not because I have a problem with the result but the fact that the P1 has a "button" to be lowered to be non legal whereas others do not have this track advantage. Now if I read that still - with those tires - the gap is so small it is very clear for me who is the technical winner. Perfekt would have been if they ran a time with everything on sport but not lowered just for a time comparison

I really don't see why people harp on about that. It's like people are trying to conclude real world performance based on track performance, but while assigning real world traffic laws to the track. it doesn't even make sense to talk about road compliance on a track test.

Does the P1 use a non-legal ride height on the track? Yes. Does the 918 reach speeds above the legal speed limit on a track? Yes.

In the real world, keeping things "legal", the 918, LF, P1, and a Toyota Prius are exactly the same because there is a posted speed limit and designated lanes at any given time. It's no more illegal to use the P1 in its lowered form than it is to break the speed limit with a 918.

The point of a track test is to show what a stock car, in stock form, can do at the track. That's all. If you go to the track, be it with a P1 or 918, don't you just want to be as fast as possible?

Whoopsy:
    reginos:

You said it. Everything is about the Malta event, it has nothing to do with the Silverstone one. It was tragic at Malta that's for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the Silverstone is a completely separate event. You are mixing oil and water.

Whoopsy, we don't agree on Malta, no problem and thank you for your views..

Now to Silverstone. Would these 0.34 secs (with all the provisos mentioned) have made you change your mind about which car to choose? Because out of all of us that theorize here you are the only who could afford such a hypercar.

If yes, then this test is relevant.

If no, then there is no point debating.

--

"Form follows function"

kudryavchik:

Everything is much simplier - p1 was running on trofeo r tyres

It was running on Corsas just like the LaFerrari was. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689958 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409447 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858196 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774313 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM